www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Software Development (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Meta2tr update. (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=135733)

AODfan 25-03-16 21:34

Oh no, in StrPix. Not sure if you can do that without having to edit the entire level all over again though.
Setting the lighting to white in meta never worked for me for some reason.

SrDanielPonces 25-03-16 21:36

since you're talking about changing the wad while doing meta2tr: Is this a problem? I mean, does changing a small thing of the wad make you need to redo the whole map? Just curious :D

maati139 25-03-16 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titak (Post 7559300)
I have some objects which won't take on the surrounding lighting even though they are merged with the room geometry.
They do keep their static lighting even if I assign the pure white lighting.
They do react to Lara's PLS for example, just not to ambient lighting.

http://titak.tombraiderhub.com/MoA/lightingbug.jpg

What can I do to get these objects to react to the lighting of the room? :ponder:

Did you try to create new 'do_not_delete' file? Sometimes when you put 'roomall.mqo' to meta2tr.exe few times, it stops to update rooms lighting. :ponder:

Titak 25-03-16 22:03

You mean delete the current do-not-delete file and unpack the original .tr4 file again?
This will create a new do-not-delete and then I should reconvert all mqo files and bmp files again.
Is that what you mean?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SrDanielPonces (Post 7559345)
since you're talking about changing the wad while doing meta2tr: Is this a problem? I mean, does changing a small thing of the wad make you need to redo the whole map? Just curious :D

As long as you don't change any textures, or something else that will change the order of the textures on the bmp, you should be fine.

maati139 25-03-16 22:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titak (Post 7559356)
You mean delete the current do-not-delete file and unpack the original .tr4 file again?
This will create a new do-not-delete and then I should reconvert all mqo files and bmp files again.
Is that what you mean?

Indeed :p

Titak 25-03-16 22:11

Okay. Got it. I'll give it a try. :D

Otherwise I'll edit the object in STRPix, giving it moveable lighting. See what that does.

psiko 26-03-16 02:40

why delete the do not delete file? if you unpack again, the do not delete file will be re-written... furthermore, the do not delete is simply a tr4 file :)
your problem is because after many times you inject the mqo files, infos about vertex colors in that area get lost. Usually new vertices search for the nearest colored vertices in that area in the do not delete file (so meta2tr reads the nearest vertices in the former version of the tr4 file), and if it does not find any, it gives a random color or flat colors to all vertices at once.
To fix this, unpack again the original tr4 file and re-import tiles+mqo's :) Or use manual color-painting... to use the same illumination, with the vertex color tool on, pick up the values with left-click of the mouse + shift key on a vertex near the new ones :)

Titak 26-03-16 10:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by psiko (Post 7559402)
To fix this, unpack again the original tr4 file and re-import tiles+mqo's :)

I've just done that, but that object is still white and flat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by psiko (Post 7559402)
Or use manual color-painting... to use the same illumination, with the vertex color tool on, pick up the values with left-click of the mouse + shift key on a vertex near the new ones :)

This is indeed what I've been doing. Works well, but for some objects it is quite a task. So I figured it would be nice to have at least a starting point with the objects taking on the surroundign lighting.

I'm going to try AODfan's suggestion about giving the objects moveable lighting in STRPix.
See what that does.

Titak 26-03-16 16:30

Tried AODfan's suggestion and at least the objects are not that white anymore.
But I will have to manually adjust the lighting anyway. But at least I now have a better starting point.

Thanks for the tips! :tmb:

HD86 28-03-16 18:34

deleted

ACAdesign 04-05-16 05:57

is there any way to get a version of this program for Dxtre3d? I tried dragging a .tr4 created with dxtre3d into meta2tr and it says error: created with unofficial editor cannot read room geometry.

Salem150 04-05-16 14:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACAdesign (Post 7575707)
is there any way to get a version of this program for Dxtre3d? I tried dragging a .tr4 created with dxtre3d into meta2tr and it says error: created with unofficial editor cannot read room geometry.

yeah that will be great!:)

Baddy82 25-06-16 17:41

..edit..

Medroks 09-07-16 08:06

Is there a way to apply whole texture to a face like in StrPix? I know how to UV map, but is there other way to texture?

AODfan 20-07-16 19:49

How do I apply different blending modes to objects? I retextured an animating and part of the texture is magenta but it shows up black in-game.

maax87 20-07-16 19:59

Here you can see settings for transparent and magenta textures :) https://sites.google.com/site/meta2t...tics/texturing

AODfan 20-07-16 20:22

Of course it was that easy :facepalm:
Thank you, everything is working as intended now :D

Caesum 27-07-16 08:24

Is it possible for Meta2TR to export to .3DS or other 3ds max compatible extension? For now I'm trying to use 3ds max with MQO plugin that generally works great, but for Meta2TR it makes everything either white or green which makes it difficult to see geometry(http://imgur.com/a/X5ja4).

psiko 27-07-16 10:45

use those settings for all your materials inside metasequoia:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...psq5fpb5az.jpg

and delete all unuseful meshes inside the mqo file, like portals and floor/ceiling collisions (those are the green meshes you see inside 3dsmax) :)

rufierto 05-08-16 01:31

On this page, http://treditor.hu/7/gmac/nglemanual2/ngle135x.html
there is a tutorial about texturing odd shapes. The line
"I'll fix that unsightly distorted side texture first. Select the side surface and cut it to a new layer." , what does cut it to a new layer mean, I cannot get this to work? Could someone please help. Does this work on meta 3.1 or do I need a newer version. Is there a video version of this tutorial.:hea:

Titak 05-08-16 09:17

I think he means to copy and paste it so the selected face becomes a seperate object. :ponder:
At least that's what I always do.
Delete the face that's still part of the room object, UV-map the seperate face and merge it back into the room object.

rufierto 05-08-16 14:41

:jmp:Thanks Titak!! It is working and starting to make sense!!

Titak 10-08-16 19:02

Wanted to try out the new blending modes (finally...) but I can't repeat the UVmap more than once. Clicking on Repeat (when in UV mode) once repeates the map so I can use the classic blending mode, but clicking it again reduces it to one tile again.
So I can't see the zones where the new blending mode zones are.

How can I repeat it more? :confused:

psiko 10-08-16 21:05

on uv panel (I use metaseq 2.4) click on config button and that's it :)

Titak 11-08-16 09:43

I have "repeat" set to 3 now. :D
Thanks for the help! :tmb:

Level NextGen 11-08-16 13:02

Just noticed the new update with floor2prj and the object position in room without merging them. It's a great addon. Thanks you meta2tr for the hard work :hug:

Btw, I'm learning how to use 3DSmax but I have some problems to import correctly metaseq files into 3DSmax. Using these setting to import export according to what I saw in the forums. I also watched the psiko tutorial a while ago but he only imports back the level into TRLE.
http://flickerd.popzelife.me/albums/...seq-export.jpghttp://flickerd.popzelife.me/albums/...max-import.jpg

I end with some small faces being not well textured. And no color vertex visible (maybe I missed the rendering viewport option in 3DSmax). What I am doing wrong?
http://flickerd.popzelife.me/albums/Meta2TR/metaseq.jpg
http://flickerd.popzelife.me/albums/Meta2TR/3dsmax.jpg

Caesum 11-08-16 14:10

In my case the 3d mesh imports pretty well when using MQO importer. Unfortunately I was not able to successfully export it back to .tr4, although I'll be still trying haha.

In my ideal world there would be an option to work on .tr4 meshes directly via 3ds max without the use of metasequoia. I hope one day it will be possible. Is it a possible option at all? It would be amazing if meta2tr could export meshes and collisions to .3ds(or .obj) files as well!

psiko 11-08-16 17:59

you do not need to import all the items locations in 3dsmax.. do it directly in metasequoia.
If you want to merge items like statics or some moveable into roomgeometry, you can do it inside metasequoia just dropping the items or inside 3dsmax (see below).
Anything you want to be merged or anything you want to keep from a tr4 to another, or anything you want to keep once edited inside metasequoia or 3dsmax, MUST have always the same tiles.bmp, so, if a static is using wad tiles, you have to keep those tiles among the backup'ed ones. To easily do it, there's an option to regroup tiles in meta2tr, or simply do this: in a mqo file with simple that static item, delete unused materials, so you have the tiles exactly used by that static. Then, rename those bmp's and materials in mqo file, according to free/empty tiles among the backup'ed as tiles to always replace. For instance, if you are using tiles from 1->200, and your static uses 24, 27, 45, 83, 96 bmp tiles from untouched tr4 file, rename inside metasequoia those 5 materials as 201,202,203,204,205, then rename those tiles accordingly, and finally re-direct those materials in mqo file so that each material is calling its same-name tile bmp file. And backup static.mqo file and those renamed 5 tiles.
Then update the tr4 file.
Then inject newlevel.tr4 file onto meta2tr (the "newlevel method"), so you have new tiles and mqo files coherent with the ones you are keeping safe in the backup folder.
You get a new roomall.mqo file still coherent with previous files but with new static items.
So, now you want to get ready to merge those items into their respective rooms, doing this at once inside 3dsmax (the "see below" is here).
Import roomall.mqo file into 3dsmax.
Let's say room045 has 13 extra02 you want to merge.
Press H so you can select items easily directly from their name.
Select all extra02 related to room045.
In Tools/Rename Objects, decide that all those items have to be called Room045 at once, with no prefix, with no number.
Hide those items (extra02's renamed all as Room045)
Ctrl+A so you select everything else.
Delete.
Unhide everything, so in 3dsmax scene you have only that series of room045 items.
Export as mqo.
Open your RoomAll.mqo inside metasequoia.
Import The 3dsmax exported mqo file... say you want MERGE EVERYTHING.
Done, your RoomAll.mqo file has now a Room045 with all extra02 items merged in just one touch.

Things can get easily when you directly build inside 3dsmax as you have lots of "lineXX, BoxXX, CylinderXX, ConeXX, ObjectXX, MeshXX, ShapeXX and so on, in the same scene. You know that at least, let's say, 50 tiny items are going to belong to the same room: rename all those items that have random names, so that they are called RoomYYY. So, once you export in mqo format file, and open everything into metasequoia, say to merge everything, and lot of the work is already done automatically.

You can use the Rename Tool as many times you wish per each scene or each room, so that you can have, for instance lots of Room002 items, and lots of Room034 items, many Room057 items, and so on :) Things gets really fast.
And obviously you were keeping safely the tiles used by your statics you want to merge, so everything works fine in 3dsmax and in metasequoia :)

Caesum 13-08-16 21:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by psiko (Post 7624508)
use those settings for all your materials inside metasequoia:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...psq5fpb5az.jpg

and delete all unuseful meshes inside the mqo file, like portals and floor/ceiling collisions (those are the green meshes you see inside 3dsmax) :)

Thanks, but can I do that material thing already inside 3ds max? I'm using MQO plugin to import meshes.

Titak 13-08-16 21:46

Before I mess things up, IŽd thought IŽd ask...
IŽd like to delete some statics from a specific room in the level because I donŽt think they look so great anymore in that spot.
Can I do this by deleting the meshes from the STATIC_POSITIONS "objects" in the RoomsAndFloor.mqo?
(And no, they have not been merged with the roomgeometry.)

I'm kinda reluctant to go into the editor, change it in the prj and reconvert with Meta2TR... did that some time ago with some other objects and it caused problems for some reason...

psiko 13-08-16 23:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caesum (Post 7635037)
Thanks, but can I do that material thing already inside 3ds max? I'm using MQO plugin to import meshes.

but without those options you'll get those problems in 3dsmax. To avoid them, you must edit all the materials individually inside 3dsmax, check the "self illumination" option (should be a white color, change it to black or set the value to 0, it is 100 if you do not change materials inside metasequoia). It's in the material shader options.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titak (Post 7635041)
Before I mess things up, IŽd thought IŽd ask...
IŽd like to delete some statics from a specific room in the level because I donŽt think they look so great anymore in that spot.
Can I do this by deleting the meshes from the STATIC_POSITIONS "objects" in the RoomsAndFloor.mqo?
(And no, they have not been merged with the roomgeometry.)

I'm kinda reluctant to go into the editor, change it in the prj and reconvert with Meta2TR... did that some time ago with some other objects and it caused problems for some reason...

In this case you have two options: move locations of those items inside a wall or slightly outside an external bound of that room. Other option, which I suggest, is to "change" the item itself, renaming it, for instance, from plant0 to architecture4 (or whatever you want) so in game it is changed... and you can replace the original ones with other ones that fit better (for instance if you want to get rid of a column, simply change the item to... foliage, and move its location accordingly) :) No matter what the aspect of the item is inside the mqo file, the important thing is the name, so you can still see a column in the mqo file, but will get a foliage in the compiled tr4 file :)

Titak 14-08-16 09:31

Hmmm... did not know you could change a name and get away with it. I thought Meta2TR.exe would spit out an error if the names don't stay the same.
Will I also need to create an architecture4.mqo as seperate object then? :ponder:

*** EDIT ***
Never mind, I understand now.
I can only rename to something that was in the wad to begin with.
For example, I tried renaming to FURNITURE7, but since that object is not in the wad, meta2tr.exe skipped it, leaving it unchanged.
So instead I renamed to DEBRIS1, which is in the wad, and now the object DEBRIS1 appears instead of DEBRIS0.
And if I rename to an object that has been merged with the roomgeometry (using MapMergList) and has thus been reduced to a point, nothing is visble. :D

Cool.
Learned something new today! :tmb:

Caesum 14-08-16 10:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by psiko (Post 7635094)
but without those options you'll get those problems in 3dsmax. To avoid them, you must edit all the materials individually inside 3dsmax, check the "self illumination" option (should be a white color, change it to black or set the value to 0, it is 100 if you do not change materials inside metasequoia). It's in the material shader options.

I would like to first learn how I can import .tr4 level mesh inside 3ds max to edit it. I have watched your tutorial and while it surely shows a very interesting way of editing levels, I must admit it is also very confusing(would love a text-based tutorial/workflow .pdf file) and so I would like to learn it the classic way first.
I don't now a single thing about metasequoia while I do know basics of 3ds max, which I believe should be enough to make some simple changes to my levels.
For the time being I would like to use metasequoia to edit levels the "TRAE" way. So I want to import original mesh into 3ds max, edit it, then add it back to .tr4 file.
I must say this entire "build first in 3ds max THEN make a level for it" confuses me to no end.

That's why I want to know how to make the mesh work with 3ds max directly.

About your response, thanks, it seems it worked. Now I have another two problems:

1. The levelmesh doesn't show its RoomEditor lighting in 3dsmax, while in metasequoia(provided by LevelNextGen) it shows just fine. I guess it's just wrong viewport options as the lighting is fine when I import everything back into .tr4 file?

2. When I import everything back and make a newlevel.tr4 file, LARA position is reset to 0,0,0. Why is that?

psiko 14-08-16 22:36

Actually the "classic way" is still the one I show in my tutorial videos, even if with a lot of additional infos, as it is the only way to work with meta or 3dsmax contemporarly with tr editor. Or maybe you mean "the classic way" as simply editing the tr4 file once it is completed and does not need additional editing with any of the LE tool..?
Anyhow you can work following this tutorial:
https://sites.google.com/site/meta2t...low-that-works
My videos simply improve with lots of infos that guideline.
About question 1, you have info on vertex coloring in my videos, but the main reason is that the import dll for 3dsmax does not keep vertex colors information, but export dll from 3dsmax to meta does: so you can vertex color inside 3dsmax and get the same illumination into a tr4 file :)
About questio 2, the reason is because you should not edit positions for items inside 3dsmax (delete those items in the max files) because the importer to 3ds and the exporter to meta, put the pivots of all objects to 0,0,0 coordinates :)

Titak 25-08-16 22:29

Any idea why something looks properly textured (UV-mapped) in Meta but it looks all messed up ingame? :confused:

psiko 28-08-16 08:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titak (Post 7641635)
Any idea why something looks properly textured (UV-mapped) in Meta but it looks all messed up ingame? :confused:

are you using this script line in [options] section of your script?
Quote:

settings= set_accept_extra_tailinfos
Normally we can have 16k uv infos (16384), this line enables 32k (32768)... meta2tr tells you how many you are using whenever you import anything inside the tr4 file :)

Titak 28-08-16 09:28

Yes, I do.
Perhaps I got over the next limit then.

Anyway, solved it by taking an older save of the prj. :D

Odd though, that with that old er save I do get the same amount of vertices and textures as before, while when I strip that older version of unused objects (removed from the rooms, not the wad) I get a whole loe more vertices and textures when converting with Meta2TR. Same RoomsAll.mqo and all. :confused:

DJ Full 25-11-16 11:48

Hey. I got here a room which produces additional enemy box when rotated.
Never had this before and it questions everything I thought about boxes.
So I'm digging again and I found this in an older meta2tr tutorial:

https://sites.google.com/site/meta2t...s-and-overlaps

How do I display boxes like this? I tried with v8 but I cannot figure it out.
Could you help me? :)

psiko 25-11-16 12:07

that's a development screen for features not implemented in meta2tr release yet. Meta2tr told me it was too complex to let a level designer editing manually the boxes (and other features), so in the end he decided to add an optional automatic update at the end of the conversion using his tool, when floor data changes were detected.

DJ Full 25-11-16 13:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by psiko (Post 7685199)
Meta2tr told me it was too complex to let a level designer editing manually the boxes

I understand. But why not to at least display them? It would save a lot of time to analyze how they go.
Currently they're so much guessing I cannot predict their count in a scenery more complex than a crate storage :)