www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Software Development (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Meta2tr update. (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=135733)

*PH* 10-09-09 21:01

that looks brilliant psiko!
when is ur game coming out? i saw videos on youtube and i love how it looks:cln:

psiko 11-09-09 08:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by *PH* (Post 4017289)
that looks brilliant psiko!
when is ur game coming out? i saw videos on youtube and i love how it looks:cln:

Ok, I'll try to answer but not going off topic :)
perhaps you may like to see this topic:
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=155337
it's where I presented a new project I am working on using meta2tr and 3dsmax as world editor :) there are 4 pictures of "making of" reports :)
My "Fables" project is now suspended, as it has a very good gameplay but it lacks a bit from the graphic side considering what it is possible to do nowadays with the new tools :) so it is a bit obsolete :D maybe I will come back editing it and re-newing it, maybe exactly with meta2tr, so that it could be not out of fashion anymore :D there were at least 4 or 5 levels ready :) I will decide when HyperSquare is finished :) thanks for your interest ^_________^

thecentaur 11-09-09 11:05

It looks lovely :tmb: but are there any framerate issues?

Raymond 11-09-09 13:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by psiko (Post 4018292)
My "Fables" project is now suspended, as it has a very good gameplay but it lacks a bit from the graphic side considering what it is possible to do nowadays with the new tools :) so it is a bit obsolete :D maybe I will come back editing it and re-newing it, maybe exactly with meta2tr, so that it could be not out of fashion anymore :D there were at least 4 or 5 levels ready :) I will decide when HyperSquare is finished :) thanks for your interest ^_________^

A bit offtopic: I donīt think Fables is out of fashion or obsolete by any means. Iīm sure, that it`ll be a masterpiece even without the use of meta2tr!:)

*PH* 11-09-09 17:58

Ditto

Level NextGen 25-10-09 10:20

Hi! I start to use Meta2Tr, but I don't want to use metasequoia as the 3Dprogram. I would prefer to use 3DSMax but I don't know how to export a meta file to a wavefront file (.obj)... CORRECTLY!
This is the options :
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/745/objexport.png http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/503...ortoptions.png

I ask especially to Psicho... and other :D
Thank you in advance

psiko 29-10-09 19:46

this is all correct, for what I see... I check the "flip right and left" option both in the export either in the import. So inside 3dsmax I see the level as it will appear in game and in meta. So what is the problem? :) For what I see, you are trying to import inside 3dsmax an object with 26K polygons and they seem a lot for just a room... or it is a complete level? I suggest to import rooms that can be easily managed both by 3dsmax either by metasequoia (either by the tr4 engine in game).. the limit is 8192 vertexes for each object/room.

For the import/export options, I discovered that with 3dsmax2010 the axis orientations have to change considering the earlier versions of max. You can easily find the correct options if the orientations do not match.

deskj 29-05-10 15:08

hey, any news for the version 5 of meta2tr? :o

matrix54 29-05-10 15:14

:rolleyes:

Laras Boyfr. 29-05-10 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix54 (Post 4633760)
:rolleyes:

whats the matter??he just asked.

anyway i didnt heard anything bout the new version Francesco :)

meta2tr 02-06-10 20:25

It's done, I'm updating the demo level.

-Trangel- 02-06-10 20:47

just imaging not having to cut textures.... oh i'm inspired

Dunnut7 03-06-10 09:04

Yeah, I know:rolleyes: But is this just like Metasequoia, but with way more features?

mudkip25 03-06-10 22:26

Not really, it converts prj files into Metasequoia so the geometry can be enhanced further as if you were building an object.

http://meta2tr.netii.net/

Dunnut7 04-06-10 13:16

That sounds very interesting! Too bad, though:o But still a very handy tool:tmb:

HURLEYstickmen 05-06-10 15:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudkip25 (Post 4647237)
Not really, it converts prj files into Metasequoia so the geometry can be enhanced further as if you were building an object.

http://meta2tr.netii.net/

*cough*.tr4filescough*:whi:

Dunnut7 05-06-10 15:05

What?:confused:

Laras Boyfr. 05-06-10 15:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunnut7 (Post 4651253)
What?:confused:

mudkip misspronounced it;)
he said it converts prj files but meta2tr converts tr4 files into mqo files:)

Dunnut7 05-06-10 15:10

Ow, I see:)
But when you modify those levels and make it look realistic, can she walk normally onto it?

Laras Boyfr. 05-06-10 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunnut7 (Post 4651277)
Ow, I see:)
But when you modify those levels and make it look realistic, can she walk normally onto it?

no metasequoia donest generates the collision ,so you need to make it in NGLE with invisible blocks or even with some customs invisible statics with the collision you need,also bridge object could be useable;)
look in the meta2tr site,there is a step by step tutorial:)

Titak 05-06-10 17:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laras Boyfr. (Post 4651267)
he said it converts prj files but meta2tr converts tr4 files into mqo files:)

This is exactly the reason why I haven't used Meta2tr yet... Because I keep on changing things in a level untill the very end, things that need to be changed in the NGLE, it is not convenient for me to use Meta2tr. :(

God Horus 05-06-10 17:30

Same... I was going to use Meta2TR for my last game but is seems especially when I go through the level so close in Meta I find more issues, the tiniest wrongly rotated texture behind a bush and I fixed it to loose a bunch of Meta2TR work.

But I am using it for my next game for better shadows and lighting and some rounded walls :)

meta2tr 06-06-10 09:46

Hi Titak, Hi God Horus, :)

In a future version, (not version 5 which will be released soon), maybe I could unscramble the textures for rooms, so that the bmp files are always in the same order as the tga file.

Do you think that will solve the problem?

Titak 06-06-10 11:30

Doesn't sound like that would fix things for me since I would like to be able to edit PRJ files in Meta and be able to open them again in the room editor, instead of the compiled tr4 files.

But I'm sure that making the order of textures in the BMP the same as the TGA would certainly be better. :D

meta2tr 06-06-10 12:31

Well the PRJ file format and NGLE both require room vertices to be on the grid, and they also require uv polygons to be rectangular... so I don't know.

We could extract the rooms from the PRJ file as metasequoia files. But after you edit them, you wouldn't be able to put them back into the PRJ file, and the editor (in it's current form) wouldn't be able to display them.

Although it would be great to have the equivalent of metasequoia built into the editor. :)

Titak 06-06-10 13:27

Yes, that would be great!

One thing I do want to try however is use Meta2tr for changing some lighting, to get shadows and such. :D

God Horus 06-06-10 15:17

^ It looks amazing! :eek: I have very little experience with editing lighting and stuff and in the poolroom level of my manor, I created very simple shadows under the balcony and lighter areas around the window and it's awesome!

I found that I forgot the finish trigger for the REAL next level so I have to redo it all, but it's totally worth it :tmb:

meta2tr 06-06-10 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by God Horus (Post 4654360)
I found that I forgot the finish trigger for the REAL next level so I have to redo it all, but it's totally worth it :tmb:

But... you shouldn't have to redo all your changes in metasequoia just to add the finish trigger. Adding triggers to the map is fine. Here's the steps.

Let's say
1) you've created your level in NGLE, you've converted it to a TR4 file
2) you've extracted the mqo+bmp files using meta2tr
3) you've done some editing in metasequoia to the mqo files

Here's how you add the finish trigger
4) first move ALL of the mqo and bmp files to a new directory
5) open your PRJ file in NGLE
6) add the finish trigger
7) compile to TR4 and test

Here's where it gets interesting.
8) extract the mqo+bmp files from the new TR4 using meta2tr
9) now check that Tile001.bmp that was generated from the new TR4 file is the same as the old one. Check a few other tiles too. They should all be the same.

If they are the same, then all is fine. You can inject any of the mqo files that you originally edited into the new TR4, and they will work.

ggctuk 06-06-10 19:20

Ah, so as long as we don't add anything new to the texture set or room layout, we're fine using the older ones? Cool! :tmb:

Shauni 07-06-10 15:56

Has anyone made a tutorial on this program? Just the basics? I'm interested in trying this out on my level once it's completed, or at least learn it for future reference. I'm not really sure where to start. :)

meta2tr 07-06-10 20:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by ggctuk (Post 4655165)
Ah, so as long as we don't add anything new to the texture set or room layout, we're fine using the older ones? Cool! :tmb:

It's a little complicated :)

Anything you do in "Face Edit" mode in the editor (eg applying new textures to the room, or rotating or flipping textures already in the room etc) will changes the order of the textures in the TR4 files, and hence in the bmp files produced by meta2tr. Adding a new object to your wad will also change the order of the textures, even the room textures.

However, you can add anything that's already in your wad to your map, and still use the older metasequoia files, including triggers, flame emitters etc.

If you change just your TGA, this too can change the order of the textures, because Tom2Pc optimizes by looking for identical textures.

Currently, on the demo level, I've created the level with a lot of empty 256x256 textures. When I extract the level, the first 19 bmp files are always the room textures plus my empty tiles. Between updates in NGLE, they do change order, but they are always the first 19. I keep all my edits in metasequoia to those 19 tiles, and I reinject all of them back into the level, every time. That way my mqo files never go out of sync. (Thanks to Psiko for this awesome idea :) )

meta2tr 07-06-10 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shauni (Post 4657031)
Has anyone made a tutorial on this program? Just the basics? I'm interested in trying this out on my level once it's completed, or at least learn it for future reference. I'm not really sure where to start. :)

As far as I know, the only tutorials are on my site https://sites.google.com/site/meta2tr/home/

For the basics, you could check this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hXYQdQB_t4

meta2tr 07-06-10 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by God Horus (Post 4651784)
the tiniest wrongly rotated texture behind a bush and I fixed it to loose a bunch of Meta2TR work.

In case you have this particular situation again, if you rotate the texture in Metasequoia (in UV mode), you can avoid this problem.

meta2tr 17-07-10 22:06

New version now available :)

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/108/meta2trv5.jpg

This latest release comes with a demo level and an in-game guide to explain how to get the most out of meta2tr. It's been a lot of fun building this level and there are many tricks and new possibilities. Everything can be done using free tools.

What's new:
- Import/export of animated textures ranges.
- Import of collapsed and crossed uv polygons.
- Automatic correction of uv polygons that span two zones.
- Import/export of movable mesh-trees.
http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/9945/meta2trv52.jpg
- Automatic vertex renumbering for skin-joints
- Arbitrary vertex numbering (for the HAIR object for example)
- Collision boxes for statics can be set in Metasequoia
- Visibility boxes for statics are automatically adjusted to the extents of the object
- Download includes new custom pixel shader for Metasequoia so that room lighting is displayed the same as in the game
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/2357/meta2trv53.jpg
- Download includes an import script for Blender 2.49b (Blender can then be used to reproject uv maps).
- Fix that prevents surrounding vertices going white when vertex painting an unlit room mesh.

Happy editing ;)

God Horus 17-07-10 22:29

It looks amazing! Great work! :tmb: :hug:

matrix54 17-07-10 22:30

pixel shaders... oh sweet jesus... LOVE... YOU!!

Titak 17-07-10 22:33

Oh my... I just might start using this... :D

God Horus 17-07-10 22:59

I played it and afterwards... OH MY GOSH THAT WAS INCREDIBLE! I so have to use this more for my next level set... which probably won't be for another year or so but still ... :jmp:

Jeissy 17-07-10 23:02

Awesome! :yik:
I too have to use this in the future :jmp: This is a great progress :cln:

matrix54 17-07-10 23:15

I saves me some time :D I can make my plane level look like a plane, without really going into the editing of meshes to get them 'perfect' so they fit into the level. I can also add as many objects as I want in it, simply because there's no object limit.