www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Software Development (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Meta2tr update. (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=135733)

Titak 11-02-11 21:26

Very good!
The merge feature works well, as does assigning the weight values for water effects! :tmb:

I've used the wieght feature on a fountain that I merged into the roomgeometry.
So now the water in the fountain is moving and the bowl of the fountain has the reflection effect in it. :D

deskj 11-02-11 22:10

i'm still totally new to meta2tr 'cause in the last months i couldn't edit and i couldn't learn it as well
i was curious about testing out myself this last feature about merging all the statics (and animatings of 1 mesh) in the room geometry

what i did was dragging my tr4 file on meta2tr.exe (after making the list of all the objects i want merged in in that txt file), so i opened the RoomAll.mqo generated in meta to see if everything went right (every obj was merged in the room, cool!)

so i dragged all the mqo files generated (the RoomAll.mqo, the ones of the statics too and all the other mqo files i had) on meta2tr.exe again to generate a new tr4 file

i renamed the newlevel.tr4 file created as i needed, moved it to trle data folder and started playing to test it... but no static was merged in the geometry :D

what did i do wrong? I'm sorry if this could be a dummy question, as i said i've never used meta2tr before and i just wanted to test this feature

u can still answer me "go to hell and study how the tool works from the basics" if needed, 'cause i think i deserve it in this case :D

meta2tr 11-02-11 22:52

As far as I can tell, you're doing everything right.
How did you check if the object was merged or not when you played the new level?

Edit: not all movables can be merged, only those with a single mesh. You can see if there were any objects in your list that couldn't be merged if you check report.txt.

Titak 11-02-11 23:13

Looks like you did the right thing.
But you will have to hold some sort of light (torch/flare/PLS) near the static to see if it is indeed merged.
Because they keep the lighting you assigned to them in the LE but when holding a light close to them they will be affected by the light from torch/flare/PLS.
Non-merged statics won't be affected by those lights.

deskj 11-02-11 23:18

too see if the objs were merged i gave a look to the roomall mqo and everything seems to have been merged perfectly! I also checked one of the statics mqo to see if it was empty, and it was

but when i play the new tr4 generated, they're not, but i'm doing something wrong for sure, since it works good for titia!

ps. it's normal that colors are like washed out, right? :P
[IMG]http://i55.************/biqywx_th.jpg[/IMG]

Titak 11-02-11 23:20

Did you hold a torch/flare/PLS near them ingame, like I suggested?
If so, do they still not react to those lights?

deskj 11-02-11 23:22

sorry titak, i read ur post just now!

this is the result ingame (whocares if i spoil it lol, i think i won't release this level at the end)

[IMG]http://i56.************/2ry0akl_th.jpg[/IMG]

the steps react like they did before (they're in animating slots.. of one mesh as said before), but not all the other statics (like the column)

Titak 11-02-11 23:29

Hmmm... strange. :confused:
They do react to lights in my case...

No idea what might have been going wrong at your end.
Better wait untill psiko or meta2tr come online again. I'm not really an expert on Meta2TR and I might be overlooking something in the converting process you have performed.

AgentXP 11-02-11 23:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by deskj (Post 5208536)
sorry titak, i read ur post just now!

this is the result ingame (whocares if i spoil it lol, i think i won't release this level at the end)

[IMG]http://i56.************/2ry0akl_th.jpg[/IMG]

the steps react like they did before (they're in animating slots.. of one mesh as said before), but not all the other statics (like the column)

*Off topic* but is that your version of the tutorial level that you made for the tut project? :) It still remember that it looked stunning. This part looks great too, shame if it won't ever be released. :o *Back on topic*

psiko 12-02-11 00:13

I am solving deskj's issue in chat, something was missing in his process (those are the first times he uses metasequoia), now it is all fine :) the tool works greatly, it wasn't its guilty :) :tmb:
Edit: it was because his trle folder was under program files, and 7 does not allow changes in it :)

deskj 12-02-11 01:01

exactly! i finally managed to make it work (thank u again psiko!) and i LOVE the result!! :D :D

[IMG]http://i55.************/29x6l9h_th.jpg[/IMG]

now i can finally play with the lighting i want without being scared of it not affecting (or affecting too much) objects!

AgentXP: thank u very much! it's just that my daily things took me too away from the editing, i'm afraid i won't have time anymore for it... but whoknows for the future

EDIT: and thank u meta2tr obviously :)

GeckoKid 12-02-11 01:51

very pretty!

teme9 12-02-11 07:53

Ohhhh!!! :hug: thanks for the amazing update!! Nauticus will looks 10x better now! :jmp:

^ Amazing Deskj! :tmb:

Titak 12-02-11 10:01

Looking very good deskj! :tmb:
Good to hear the problem was found and solved. :D

deskj 12-02-11 22:41

oh thank u :D so sad i keep showing always the same room, eheh

deskj 13-02-11 13:32

sorry for the double post, but i needed the topic to be bumped up again

nothing to explain really, just saying that meta2tr messes up the normals on lara :p (and probably on other animatings too)

[see lips, breasts, shorts, legs, hair, ponytail, holsters. I didn't catch the back, but i have the ass, her back and pistols messed up too]
[IMG]http://i55.************/sm3m9x.jpg[/IMG]

Titak 13-02-11 13:42

Ai! Big difference. :(

Does that happen when you save the MoveAll.mqo in Meta?
Or does it also happen when you don't save the MoveAll.mqo but do drag it onto meta2tr.exe for a new tr4?

deskj 13-02-11 13:46

mh well the moveall was automatically modified by meta2tr when it converted some of the animatings in the room geometry (so their polygons were deleted from the movall.mqo and copied to the rooms), but i didn't touched it myself

anyway it's a big difference to me too :(

BlueJ97 13-02-11 13:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by deskj (Post 5211242)

nothing to explain really, just saying that meta2tr messes up the normals on lara :p (and probably on other animatings too)

[see lips, breasts, shorts, legs, hair, ponytail, holsters. I didn't catch the back, but i have the ass, her back and pistols messed up too]
[IMG]http://i55.************/sm3m9x.jpg[/IMG]

I think it's amazing :)
it makes lara more 3d

deskj 13-02-11 13:55

the black spots on her and all the other lighting disasters on her ass (didn't take a screen) just make the model look ugly to me :D
anyway if the amazing is referred to the outfit itself well, thank u very much then :D

Po Yu 13-02-11 14:18

maybe delete Lara skin& skin joint on MoveAll.mqo before you import anything back?

Titak 13-02-11 14:20

The lighting on the non-meta2tr version is indeed much better, much smoother and natural looking. :tmb:

I haven't noticed any changes in my own Lara model... the sports model...
I'll have to check.

psiko 13-02-11 18:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Po Yu (Post 5211306)
maybe delete Lara skin& skin joint on MoveAll.mqo before you import anything back?

this is the way to avoid it, but rather than to delete the objects from the mqo file, you can simply uncheck the "eye" symbol, that is their visibility in metasequoia... meta2tr will update only visible objects, then :)

deskj 13-02-11 18:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by psiko (Post 5211721)
this is the way to avoid it, but rather than to delete the objects from the mqo file, you can simply uncheck the "eye" symbol, that is their visibility in metasequoia... meta2tr will update only visible objects, then :)

ne sai una pił del diavolo :D

(italian expression that more or less means "you know one thing more then the devil does" :D)

thank u :o

Po Yu 13-02-11 21:49

I use eye symbol, too. But usually I just delete objects straightly since I only modify outfit. :P
Anyway, the point is dont let meta2tr modify the mesh

sharalex 15-02-11 18:23

mqo_import.py script

Hi there, I have an issue with importing a mqo file into Blender 2.49b which the guidebook tells me is possible. However, I get an error and the object won't import. Is someone able to tell me what the issue is, please? And is there any chance of getting a Blender 2.5 version of the python script?
http://img207.imageshack.us/i/mqoimport.jpg/
http://img207.imageshack.us/i/mqoimport.jpg/

meta2tr 15-02-11 19:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by deskj (Post 5211242)

Thanks for the info.

Here are the limitations of the current version when dealing with normals. MQO files don't hold normals and metsequoia doesn't provide a dedicated means to edit them. So I don't export them, and I rebuild them during import. For most objects I can rebuild them fine. But for hi poly objects there are edge effects. Also, if you are an expert builder who manually edits normals to enhance the lighting, then this manual editing will of course be lost.

I will fix this in either v7 or v8.

sapper 16-02-11 02:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharalex (Post 5215067)
Hi there, I have an issue with importing a mqo file into Blender 2.49b which the guidebook tells me is possible. However, I get an error and the object won't import. Is someone able to tell me what the issue is, please? And is there any chance of getting a Blender 2.5 version of the python script?

At line 275 the script is accessing two lists.
The list of vertices for the object and a list of Blender meshes. The list of meshes should contain one mesh if there are no materials in the MQO or the same number of meshes as there are materials in the MQO.

The error means that the script is trying to access a member of a list that doesn't exist.

It may be trying to access a vertex that doesn't exist, e.g. the 150th vertex in a list that contains only 100 vertices.

It may be trying to access a mesh that doesn't exist if the Material index for the face is greater than the number of materials in the MQO.

Cannot tell which from the screenshot, would need to have the MQO file.

If you know Python and have opened the script in Blender's text editor to run it you could insert before line 275 with same indentation as line 275,
Code:

print vt
print m

and look in the console after executing the script to see what mesh (m) and what vertices (vt) the script is looking for.

I think the Blender 2.5 API is still a WIP so a 2.5 script may not be available until the API is finalised and documented but there may a script on the net somewhere especially a Japanese site.

sharalex 16-02-11 07:44

Thanks for the reply, Sapper. :) I added those two lines and got the following returned:
[1, 2, 3, 0]
I haven't quite got the hang of the vertex numbering yet - not that I've changed anything on the mqo file, so I'm going to go and read up on it. Meanwhile, I've attached the mqo file for you to take a look at. ( It was just ripped out of a Christmas level from a few years back and is just an object that I was using to get some basic dimensions from, not one I intend to use as I'm unsure who to attribute it to)

http://www.mediafire.com/?ovk43duho7l1it1

meta2tr 16-02-11 20:15

Sharalex, I checked your MQO file. The reason it won't import is because there's no material, and there's no texture applied to the object. Below is how to correct this.

1) Open your file in Metasequoia. Display the material panel (Ctrl-M)
2) At the top of this panel is a button "New". Click on it to create a new material.
3) Double-click on the material name to access the material properties.
4) Click on the "ref" button to the right of the texture box to choose a bmp file. It should appear on the sphere.
5) Hit "Ok" to close the properties window
6) Click on the "Sel All" button at the top left. This selects all of the faces in the object mesh
7) In the "Selected" menu, click on "Set material to faces".
8) Create the uv map, by clicking on "UV" on the left hand side, then hit "Atlas". The texture will appear on the object mesh.
9) Save the MQO file
10) Open Blender, delete the cube mesh that appears at start up by placing you mouse over the mesh and hitting "delete" and confirming
11) In the Blender file menu, go to import, choose Metasequoia and select the mqo file. Now it should load.
12) Zoom in to see the object.

If you don't see the texture on the object, it's probably because Blender is in "Solid" display mode. At the bottom of the 3d display window, find a drop down list with "Draw type" and select "Textured" to see the textures.

sharalex 17-02-11 01:14

Thanks Meta2tr

Right, that'll teach me for picking an mqo file at random! I'll give your advice a whirl! I'm not sure how I managed to lose the texture - maybe I saved it in an old version, or perhaps the export was orginally a dxf from Strpix.

I've learnt a quite a bit today but I haven't yet discovered where (or how) I can tell which vertex is which. I can see where you remap them in Strpix, and can see when I open the mqo file as text all the vertices are numbered there. I've read so much in this thread that I can't recall if I should know if there's an app that will tell me which vertex is numbered what. Is there such an thing?

Also, one last question, I guess that the Blender script in it's current format requires there to be textures attached, but if I have just built an object in meta and want to texture it in blender, should I be able to pull it into blender still?

sapper 17-02-11 02:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by meta2tr (Post 5217015)
Sharalex, I checked your MQO file. The reason it won't import is because there's no material, and there's no texture applied to the object.

Strange how the script author guards against no materials to make sure at least one NMesh is created but doesn't consider the impact of no materials on the rest of the script e.g. no vertices are appended to the mesh's vertex list if there are no materials.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharalex (Post 5217638)
I've learnt a quite a bit today but I haven't yet discovered where (or how) I can tell which vertex is which. I can see where you remap them in Strpix, and can see when I open the mqo file as text all the vertices are numbered there. I've read so much in this thread that I can't recall if I should know if there's an app that will tell me which vertex is numbered what. Is there such an thing?

I think Wings3d and Meshlab can show the vertex numbers but they don't open MQO.

I also wrote a script for Blender that could indicate the vertex number for the selected vertex but I haven't used it for years.
You may find the link in the very old thread I started about T4Larson's Blender importer.

Just curious, why do you need to know the vertex numbers? What are you going to do with mesh after you edit in Blender?

BTW In the script the author gives a website address. I tried it to see if there was a Blender 2.5 script but didn't get far due to not knowing Japanese.

meta2tr 17-02-11 04:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharalex (Post 5217638)

You only need to number vertices for LARA_SKIN. If you are using meta2tr to import this object into your level, you do this as a last step, just before importing, by setting the vertex weights in Metasequoia (it's in the guide). You have to clear all the vertex weights before importing into Blender, because the script doesn't accept them.

Actually, vertices are always internally numbered, but in Metasequoia there's no feature for editing the numbering. So I use the weight feature as a method to tell meta2tr how to re-order them when importing.

sharalex 17-02-11 04:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by sapper (Post 5217748)
Just curious, why do you need to know the vertex numbers? What are you going to do with mesh after you edit in Blender?

Thanks for the response, Sapper. I was just curious as to how they were applied by whatever application built the object, that's all. :)

I've been following meta2tr since it first arrived on the scene, but have only recently really started to use it and am still working my way through the "confused" part of the learning curve, but I noticed there was lots of good info in this thread that will help clarify most of my confusion.

Big ups to all of you who share your time and knowledge and provide us with these new tools.

Agsel C 27-02-11 01:53

edit: delete this post. Error solved.

meta2tr 27-02-11 05:45

From version 5 it is possible to have zero area uv polygons. Below is an example - the walls have a uv-polygon with all points on top of each other.

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/551/r11pt.png

Titak 27-02-11 08:59

What could it be used for? :confused:

meta2tr 27-02-11 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titak (Post 5237800)
What could it be used for? :confused:

Normally you wouldn't texture a complete object in this way. But it's not unusual to have a few collapsed and crossed uv polygons in perfectly good uv map.

Titak 27-02-11 13:46

Ah, I see. :D
Haven't gotten into the UVmapping business yet so I didn't know about this.

psiko 27-02-11 19:59

crossed uv infos or collapsed ones to a point (or line), are usually "errors" in the uv unwrapping process: those errors were blocking the output in previous meta2tr versions, so you needed to fix everything before to have the output and the chance to play your level, but now they are "accepted" in the latest meta2tr versions. But, obviously, crossed uv infos and collapsed ones should be fixed to have a proper texturing :)