www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Lara Croft and Tomb Raider on Android and iOS (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Tomb Raider Reloaded announced (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=225361)

TombRaider_Ed 06-10-21 21:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raxel (Post 8323578)
No offence taken.

But that light ribbing, as people like to call it, can have some uncomfortable connotations, considering Kurtis is of a mixed background. He's of European (German) and Native American (Navajo) heritage so making fun of his personal hygiene can come across as insensitive, at the very least. As this sort of thing, implying (a more often than not) non-white/mixed person is somehow 'dirty', is a rather common racial stereotype thrown around a lot, often very casually, as I understand it. So, being aware of that might be something to keep in mind, when these sort of things come around. Especially if there are no malintentions.

Very valid point, and not something I'd considered at all (not surprising being white, I know) - I assumed it was because he smoked and had the emo look and as a child of the 90s, the grunge look came with all the comments of 'do you ever shower'. Thanks for explaining!!

Jamise_Croft 06-10-21 21:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raxel (Post 8323578)
No offence taken.

But that light ribbing, as people like to call it, can have some uncomfortable connotations, considering Kurtis is of a mixed background. He's of European (German) and Native American (Navajo) heritage so making fun of his personal hygiene can come across as insensitive, at the very least. As this sort of thing, implying (a more often than not) non-white/mixed person is somehow 'dirty', is a rather common racial stereotype thrown around a lot, often very casually, as I understand it. So, being aware of that might be something to keep in mind, when these sort of things come around. Especially if there are no malintentions.

We are literally not insulting him because he is half Native American, we hate him and laugh at him because he sexually assaulted Lara also is the fact that we didn’t know his backstory either lmaoo literally no correlation

Fantasy 06-10-21 22:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raxel (Post 8323578)
No offence taken.

But that light ribbing, as people like to call it, can have some uncomfortable connotations, considering Kurtis is of a mixed background. He's of European (German) and Native American (Navajo) heritage so making fun of his personal hygiene can come across as insensitive, at the very least. As this sort of thing, implying (a more often than not) non-white/mixed person is somehow 'dirty', is a rather common racial stereotype thrown around a lot, often very casually, as I understand it. So, being aware of that might be something to keep in mind, when these sort of things come around. Especially if there are no malintentions.

No he just looks like he smells

andre_costa 06-10-21 22:46

Just when I thought this forum couldn't get any better, we end up discussing whether Kurtis smells or not :cln:

Jamise_Croft 06-10-21 23:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by andre_costa (Post 8323587)
Just when I thought this forum couldn't get any better, we end up discussion whether Kurtis smells or not :cln:

He does, end of discussion

tomblover 07-10-21 05:42

Surely I can't be the only person who completely forgot Kurtis was part Navajo? :specialsnowflake:

Ellioft 07-10-21 06:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomblover (Post 8323603)
Surely I can't be the only person who completely forgot Kurtis was part Navajo? :specialsnowflake:

I completely forget Kurtis existance LMAO :D

Fantasy 07-10-21 06:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomblover (Post 8323603)
Surely I can't be the only person who completely forgot Kurtis was part Navajo? :specialsnowflake:

Most people wouldn’t even have bothered to know his backstory

charmedangelin 07-10-21 06:59

I'm happy about Kurtis, I love him and would love to see him return in this franchise in some capacity.

Mikky 07-10-21 07:16

That was so incredibly cringy. I feel like I want to bleach my eyes after reading that post.

But this whole "Kurtis smells" meme is completely brand new to me - it feels very random xD Whatever the origins of it though, I feel like I can say with confidence that it has nothing to do with his race. Like really, who even knew that about Kurtis? He's whiter than Lara, for god's sake.

Anyway, can't wait to see how he looks like in Reloaded. It would be great if we could use him but I doubt it


All times are GMT. The time now is 19:31.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.