www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Shadow of the Tomb Raider (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Shadow of the Tomb Raider - General Chat (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=219557)

Vaskito 10-05-19 11:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by iWANEX (Post 8087140)
I don't think it was ever specified, right? But yeah, that's what I have in mind too, and that's the most likely scenario, given the nature of their relationship with their father. Plus the way Jonah talks about him in Shadow, definitely hints at that.

I could swear I've read about it somehere! I just can't remember where!
Maybe the comics? Or in a doc? IDK! Ugh!

Athukraz 10-05-19 11:13

There's literally a document in tr2013 saying he went into the sea to drown himself

iWANEX 10-05-19 11:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linoshi Croft (Post 8087086)
I want a Lara that goes out exploring for the fun

"Whatever adventure's on the horizon, I can't wait to meet it."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linoshi Croft (Post 8087086)
The ending of Shadow just gives the impression they're going to continue pushing forward with an overly serious Lara

"I'll try not to take myself too seriously."

Honestly, I don't quite get how anyone would interpret those lines as the complete opposite of what they mean. Does it really give you the impression that she'll keep being overly serious? She literally says she can't wait to go on adventures and have fun!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linoshi Croft (Post 8087098)
they just need to simplify the story greatly and (I hate to say it...) have something akin to the earlier Uncharted games. Lara literally just goes after an artefact, with no melodrama or family ties at all and a simpler singular villain rather than some huge world controlling organisation she needs to stop to save the world.

The whole organization thing has been done in previous games too, as well as Lara encountering locals. When you think about it, Shadow is way closer to the classics than people give it credit for.

And no offense, but I hope they don't do the things you mention. I hope they expand on what they built with Shadow. I'm a little tired of TR being restricted for what it's expected to be. There's so much potential and so many great ideas waiting to be explored. Going back to a silent protagonist, no interaction, no drama, a simple villain and some puzzles is something I'm not interested in atm. It seems like stories these days are the complete opposite of that (and thank god, a little more compelling that the typical "get the artifact, kill the villain"), so chances are I'll be happy with whatever comes next.

Linoshi Croft 10-05-19 11:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Athukraz (Post 8087142)
There's literally a document in tr2013 saying he went into the sea to drown himself

I think this is correct...as I swear the document also talks about Jonah contemplating the sea taking him as well? :ponder:

iWANEX 10-05-19 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Athukraz (Post 8087142)

I thought Jonah said something about meeting him at the sea so they can be together forever, or something like that. But I always thought it was metaphoric, since they were raised in Hawaii, if I remember correctly.

Robwood 10-05-19 11:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by xspacedude (Post 8087040)
Did any of you on the first play through tried to climb the cross and then realized it was just the game trying to make you look dumb like isabella? :vlol:

You mean the one you help to put back up in the graveyard? No. The clue was to look through it, so I tried angling the camera and then using photo mode to see what the hole was pointing at. When I didn't see anything, I ran around and then Lara informed me that she magically knew that she needed to follow a trail of crosses.

Linoshi Croft 10-05-19 11:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by iWANEX (Post 8087147)
"Whatever adventure's on the horizon, I can't wait to meet it."

"I'll try not to take myself too seriously."

Honestly, I don't quite get how anyone would interpret those lines as the complete opposite of what they mean. Does it really give you the impression that she'll keep being overly serious? She literally says she can't wait to go on adventures and have fun!

Yet, those lines are also presented alongside the ones I highlighted, which is Lara labelling herself as a protector and all this nonsense, which is literally her taking herself way too seriously and being overly dramatic and corny. The ending should do nothing but make me feel like Lara is going off on her next adventure for the sheer thrill of it, not that she's going to be going into her adventures with this huge chip on her shoulder.

Quote:

The whole organization thing has been done in previous games too, as well as Lara encountering locals. When you think about it, Shadow is way closer to the classics than people give it credit for.

Agreed, but certainly not to the same extent. Places like Piatti are a huge chunk of the game where Lara is running around being everyone best friend and performing menial task when I'd much rather be off exploring. If you're going to include this social hub aspect and integrate side missions at least give them a more Tomb Raider flavour. It could be something as simple as Lara hearing rumours of a hidden tomb etc. and have her go off on her own initiative to find it. I'm just not a fan of Lara being a dogs body, it feels like she's doing everything for everyone else and nothing for her herself and her own enjoyment.

Quote:

And no offense, but I hope they don't do the things you mention. I hope they expand on what they built with Shadow. I'm a little tired of TR being restricted for what it's expected to be. There's so much potential and so many great ideas waiting to be explored. Going back to a silent protagonist, no interaction, no drama, a simple villain and some puzzles is something I'm not interested in atm. It seems like stories these days are the complete opposite of that (and thank god, a little more compelling that the typical "get the artifact, kill the villain", so chances are I'll be happy with whatever comes next.

I'm not necessarily making my critiques based on what the classics were. I don't think everything has to be a Classics Vs Reboot debate. Firstly, I didn't say Lara should be a silent protagonist? However, I do think they should minimise her stating the obvious. If she's going to say anything it should be to talk about the history of the area and not telling the player she needs to get up somewhere. I also said they should minimise the social hub aspect, not completely remove it. Piatti was OTT, however I found the smaller social hubs, such as San Juan more enjoyable. Finally, when I say simpler villain I literally mean anything other than the ridiculousness of Trinity. It should of never been introduced and it was something that Lara could never properly take down on her own. The individual members of Trinity were fine, but I do think the general writing surrounding them needed great improvement.

I only suggest maybe they should simplify thing for their own benefit. Story telling has never been the current developers greatest strength and it's something they're often pulled upon by reviewers and fans. So, maybe they should attempt possibly something simpler while focusing on making solid and interesting characters.

Yuna´s Wish 10-05-19 12:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by xspacedude (Post 8087040)
Did any of you on the first play through tried to climb the cross and then realized it was just the game trying to make you look dumb like isabella? :vlol:

I did :p

And on my 2nd playthrough too :o

I loved Shadow's side missions. I hope that, should they keep this hub-styled towns, they'll make a comeback in future entries.

biscuits 10-05-19 14:05

This section is going to die a slow and painful death after the last DLC releases. Then we'll have no drama or anything to discuss :o

killchan 10-05-19 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by biscuits (Post 8087193)
This section is going to die a slow and painful death after the last DLC releases. Then we'll have no drama or anything to discuss :o

classics vs reboot never gets old.