www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   The Angel of Darkness (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   PC Control Mod - Tank Plus (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=226481)

LateRaider 15-08-21 04:27

PC Control Mod - Tank Plus

Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness Tank Plus

EDIT - PLAY TR:AoD RESTORATION PROJECT INSTEAD, IT HAS A MORE COMPREHENSIVE CONTROLS MOD https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...d.php?t=226260

Improves the basic controls of the game while adding essential bug fixes, without changing the basic concepts of how the game controls. Created using patchers by reborninshadow and nakamichi680.

Change Overview

ALL CHANGES ARE MODULAR. YOU CAN ADD/REMOVE MOST THINGS AS YOU PLEASE BY USING THE PATCHERS.

GAMEPLAY:
- Player characters run at full speed.

- ONLY WHILE IN RUNNING OR IN WALK-LOCK, characters quickly step backward when Down is pressed.
This happens continuously as Down is held. HOLD WALK TO WALK BACKWARD, JUST AS IN THE CLASSICS.

- Player position isn't locked as stringently during tutorial lines and smaller flybys.

- Player characters can now jump consecutively.

- Player characters can now shoot in midair and while rolling.

- Guns remain drawn while sprinting.

- Guns remain drawn while wading in waist-high water.

- Guns remain drawn while in stealth mode.

- Guns can be drawn while slinking along walls.

- When reaching a corner while slinking along walls, player characters can shoot around the
corner from cover.

- Look mode is activated the moment the input is pressed.

- Walk mode is activated the moment the input is pressed.

BALANCING:
- Enemies stagger much less frequently while being shot. Does not apply to Brother Obscura.

- Enemies no longer hear player characters draw guns while walking or in stealth mode.

BUG FIX:
- Player characters no longer swerve without player input while hopping.

- Aim-lock is removed the instant the last enemy near the player has been killed.

- After killing their current target, player characters now instantly target the next enemy.

- During aim-lock, player characters strafe more directly left and right.

- Lara's torso no longer extends unnaturally while aiming with the dual pistols.

- Lara now faces more horizontally after falling (Not diving) into water.

- While slinking along walls, player characters walk at full speed.

- Enabled heat haze effect; requires HeatEMBM.tga in the effects folder.

- Enabled Kurtis' Farsee effect.

- Enabled rotating gas clouds in Galleries Under Siege.

- Enabled snow in The Monstrum Crime Scene zone 1 (Low trembling intensity / slow falling speed).

- Fixed crashing near lasers in The Strahov Fortress zone 2.

- Enabled underwater effects in The Vault of Trophies.

- The only input that skips cutscenes or FMVs is Esc key.

VISUAL:
- Enabled title menu demo video; requires TP_ROLL.MPG in the FMV folder.

- Health, grip, and breath gauges only appear when relevant.

- Aspect ratio for notebook fixed while in 16:9 displays.

OTHER:
- Player character stair animations disabled to allow for more moves, such as stealth and roll, on stairs.

- Game logo doesn't disappear at title menu.

- Look camera Y-Axis inverted, as in the first five games.

- Pressing Alt+F4 during gameplay instantly quits the game.

- Added Erik Pistelli's 4 GB patch for more virtual memory, leading to a more stable EXE.

Caesum 15-08-21 15:46

Have you tried working with the classic hop back animation that is present in TRAOD (it's an animation for stepping back but like in classics)? Apparently there is one but it is unused for some reason. I think either nakamichi or sasho said that it's buggy, but nobody ever made a video of what it looks like.

LateRaider 15-08-21 18:34

yeah, sasho actually released an exe that's just vanilla tank controls (with all of the issues present in the retail copy that tank plus fixes) plus hop back. my first instinct was to base tank plus off of that. but kurtis can't hop back, and using that animation means pressing Down as kurtis results in nothing happening. and we can't really have that for basic movement

gallop back is a blended animation, with the bottom half of the body using the animations of combat mode. kurtis should have an animation for it as a result, unless someone tells me otherwise.

Jathom95 16-08-21 05:06

If it were possible to implement galloping back, I feel like that would be close enough to the classic hop back that it would make sense. It's sort of like a natural progression from that really if you think about it. AOD's levels are fairly tight and concise, so it would be more useful I think.

Especially when around enemies, which is probably why Core had L&K do that by default around them, though it would've really worked better as a manual option like what's being attempted here.

UroshUchiha 16-08-21 07:57

Oh this looks very lovely. I even like the version where the stairs animation is disabled.
I remember always avoiding sasho's recovery patch in my replays cause I was not a fan of the movement. Really couldn't get into it. But I did like all the other fixes that it did.

So this includes those other fixes but gives this superior (for my tastes) form of movement?

LateRaider 16-08-21 08:35

actually, i wasn't looking to incorporate too many of sasho's non-vanilla changes. so lara/kurtis don't limp when hurt, there is no fullscreen blur effect when HP is at a certain threshold. i didn't want the face guard animation either b/c A. only lara has it and B. i feel it's distracting in AoD due to this animation using lara's damage grunts instead of a specific "oof" clip

it's just vanilla tank controls combined with some small, essential improvements. there's even the stair climbing animations (but the extra 4 moves are still disabled on them for now, unfortunately).

this is going to be the controls mod available in TR:AoD Rescued from now on. the only other things i want to do with this are outlined in the bullet points above, under "features i'd like to implement in the future"

CircusBabysGal 16-08-21 09:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateRaider (Post 8315603)
yeah, sasho actually released an exe that's just vanilla tank controls (with all of the issues present in the retail copy that tank plus fixes) plus hop back. my first instinct was to base tank plus off of that. but kurtis can't hop back, and using that animation means pressing Down as kurtis results in nothing happening. and we can't really have that for basic movement

gallop back is a blended animation, with the bottom half of the body using the animations of combat mode. kurtis should have an animation for it as a result, unless someone tells me otherwise.

Maybe making Lara have it and Kurtis not would be better, Kurtis and Lara arent meant to be the same which is why the gameplay style changes (for isntance Kurtis is slightly weaker and has rougher animations than Lara) so making them play exactly the same will feel boring.

LateRaider 16-08-21 09:29

i can see where youre coming from CBG. but this is basic essential movement on the arrow keys / d-pad we're talking about. it's weird for him to just do nothing when you press down. if it was a separate, special move i think i'd agree. he can't handstand or swan dive either, for example. but not having an easy way to back up without holding walk is kind of janky

KIKO 16-08-21 10:48

This is awesome @LateRaider, canít wait to try it out!

Since itís your aim to fix the sluggish controls, have you thought about removing the pause in between jumps so that Lara can do continuous side jumps and backflips without the awkward pause? like in the classics I mean

perryloo 16-08-21 10:48

I think you have used the correct terminology for AOD Lara, ie, a tank, as her original controls are diabolical, and she is like controlling a tank on the PC.

The problem has always been the different PC controls compared to TR1 to TR5.
With these earlier games you are one with Lara, you do not have to think to be able to control her. She just moves where you want. When she jumps and grabs you know she is going to do it, when she jumps a big gap you know she is going to make it and not fall to her death. Somehow your brain can calculate exactly where lara is going to land, going to move, but AOD, no it is drastic.

AOD controls are just buggy and Lara's controls are like a tank, having to rotate and move, calculation of gaps is hopeless, dying all the time is frustrating. I just do not know why the designers changed these controls on the AOD engine, but it was not for the better.

Its a real pity the controls were that bad, as its the best storyline in the whole Tomb Raider franchise. So I will try the above mod and see if the controls are bit more accurate, especially jumping, and hopefully less tank like.