www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   The Angel of Darkness (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   PC Control Mod - Tank Plus (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=226481)

LateRaider 15-08-21 04:27

PC Control Mod - Tank Plus

Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness Tank Plus

EDIT - PLAY TR:AoD RESTORATION PROJECT INSTEAD, IT HAS A MORE COMPREHENSIVE CONTROLS MOD https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...d.php?t=226260

Improves the basic controls of the game while adding essential bug fixes, without changing the basic concepts of how the game controls. Created using patchers by reborninshadow and nakamichi680.

Change Overview

ALL CHANGES ARE MODULAR. YOU CAN ADD/REMOVE MOST THINGS AS YOU PLEASE BY USING THE PATCHERS.

GAMEPLAY:
- Player characters run at full speed.

- ONLY WHILE IN RUNNING OR IN WALK-LOCK, characters quickly step backward when Down is pressed.
This happens continuously as Down is held. HOLD WALK TO WALK BACKWARD, JUST AS IN THE CLASSICS.

- Player position isn't locked as stringently during tutorial lines and smaller flybys.

- Player characters can now jump consecutively.

- Player characters can now shoot in midair and while rolling.

- Guns remain drawn while sprinting.

- Guns remain drawn while wading in waist-high water.

- Guns remain drawn while in stealth mode.

- Guns can be drawn while slinking along walls.

- When reaching a corner while slinking along walls, player characters can shoot around the
corner from cover.

- Look mode is activated the moment the input is pressed.

- Walk mode is activated the moment the input is pressed.

BALANCING:
- Enemies stagger much less frequently while being shot. Does not apply to Brother Obscura.

- Enemies no longer hear player characters draw guns while walking or in stealth mode.

BUG FIX:
- Player characters no longer swerve without player input while hopping.

- Aim-lock is removed the instant the last enemy near the player has been killed.

- After killing their current target, player characters now instantly target the next enemy.

- During aim-lock, player characters strafe more directly left and right.

- Lara's torso no longer extends unnaturally while aiming with the dual pistols.

- Lara now faces more horizontally after falling (Not diving) into water.

- While slinking along walls, player characters walk at full speed.

- Enabled heat haze effect; requires HeatEMBM.tga in the effects folder.

- Enabled Kurtis' Farsee effect.

- Enabled rotating gas clouds in Galleries Under Siege.

- Enabled snow in The Monstrum Crime Scene zone 1 (Low trembling intensity / slow falling speed).

- Fixed crashing near lasers in The Strahov Fortress zone 2.

- Enabled underwater effects in The Vault of Trophies.

- The only input that skips cutscenes or FMVs is Esc key.

VISUAL:
- Enabled title menu demo video; requires TP_ROLL.MPG in the FMV folder.

- Health, grip, and breath gauges only appear when relevant.

- Aspect ratio for notebook fixed while in 16:9 displays.

OTHER:
- Player character stair animations disabled to allow for more moves, such as stealth and roll, on stairs.

- Game logo doesn't disappear at title menu.

- Look camera Y-Axis inverted, as in the first five games.

- Pressing Alt+F4 during gameplay instantly quits the game.

- Added Erik Pistelli's 4 GB patch for more virtual memory, leading to a more stable EXE.

Caesum 15-08-21 15:46

Have you tried working with the classic hop back animation that is present in TRAOD (it's an animation for stepping back but like in classics)? Apparently there is one but it is unused for some reason. I think either nakamichi or sasho said that it's buggy, but nobody ever made a video of what it looks like.

LateRaider 15-08-21 18:34

yeah, sasho actually released an exe that's just vanilla tank controls (with all of the issues present in the retail copy that tank plus fixes) plus hop back. my first instinct was to base tank plus off of that. but kurtis can't hop back, and using that animation means pressing Down as kurtis results in nothing happening. and we can't really have that for basic movement

gallop back is a blended animation, with the bottom half of the body using the animations of combat mode. kurtis should have an animation for it as a result, unless someone tells me otherwise.

Jathom95 16-08-21 05:06

If it were possible to implement galloping back, I feel like that would be close enough to the classic hop back that it would make sense. It's sort of like a natural progression from that really if you think about it. AOD's levels are fairly tight and concise, so it would be more useful I think.

Especially when around enemies, which is probably why Core had L&K do that by default around them, though it would've really worked better as a manual option like what's being attempted here.

UroshUchiha 16-08-21 07:57

Oh this looks very lovely. I even like the version where the stairs animation is disabled.
I remember always avoiding sasho's recovery patch in my replays cause I was not a fan of the movement. Really couldn't get into it. But I did like all the other fixes that it did.

So this includes those other fixes but gives this superior (for my tastes) form of movement?

LateRaider 16-08-21 08:35

actually, i wasn't looking to incorporate too many of sasho's non-vanilla changes. so lara/kurtis don't limp when hurt, there is no fullscreen blur effect when HP is at a certain threshold. i didn't want the face guard animation either b/c A. only lara has it and B. i feel it's distracting in AoD due to this animation using lara's damage grunts instead of a specific "oof" clip

it's just vanilla tank controls combined with some small, essential improvements. there's even the stair climbing animations (but the extra 4 moves are still disabled on them for now, unfortunately).

this is going to be the controls mod available in TR:AoD Rescued from now on. the only other things i want to do with this are outlined in the bullet points above, under "features i'd like to implement in the future"

CircusBabysGal 16-08-21 09:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateRaider (Post 8315603)
yeah, sasho actually released an exe that's just vanilla tank controls (with all of the issues present in the retail copy that tank plus fixes) plus hop back. my first instinct was to base tank plus off of that. but kurtis can't hop back, and using that animation means pressing Down as kurtis results in nothing happening. and we can't really have that for basic movement

gallop back is a blended animation, with the bottom half of the body using the animations of combat mode. kurtis should have an animation for it as a result, unless someone tells me otherwise.

Maybe making Lara have it and Kurtis not would be better, Kurtis and Lara arent meant to be the same which is why the gameplay style changes (for isntance Kurtis is slightly weaker and has rougher animations than Lara) so making them play exactly the same will feel boring.

LateRaider 16-08-21 09:29

i can see where youre coming from CBG. but this is basic essential movement on the arrow keys / d-pad we're talking about. it's weird for him to just do nothing when you press down. if it was a separate, special move i think i'd agree. he can't handstand or swan dive either, for example. but not having an easy way to back up without holding walk is kind of janky

KIKO 16-08-21 10:48

This is awesome @LateRaider, canít wait to try it out!

Since itís your aim to fix the sluggish controls, have you thought about removing the pause in between jumps so that Lara can do continuous side jumps and backflips without the awkward pause? like in the classics I mean

perryloo 16-08-21 10:48

I think you have used the correct terminology for AOD Lara, ie, a tank, as her original controls are diabolical, and she is like controlling a tank on the PC.

The problem has always been the different PC controls compared to TR1 to TR5.
With these earlier games you are one with Lara, you do not have to think to be able to control her. She just moves where you want. When she jumps and grabs you know she is going to do it, when she jumps a big gap you know she is going to make it and not fall to her death. Somehow your brain can calculate exactly where lara is going to land, going to move, but AOD, no it is drastic.

AOD controls are just buggy and Lara's controls are like a tank, having to rotate and move, calculation of gaps is hopeless, dying all the time is frustrating. I just do not know why the designers changed these controls on the AOD engine, but it was not for the better.

Its a real pity the controls were that bad, as its the best storyline in the whole Tomb Raider franchise. So I will try the above mod and see if the controls are bit more accurate, especially jumping, and hopefully less tank like.

LateRaider 16-08-21 11:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by KIKO (Post 8315681)
This is awesome @LateRaider, can’t wait to try it out!

Since it’s your aim to fix the sluggish controls, have you thought about removing the pause in between jumps so that Lara can do continuous side jumps and backflips without the awkward pause? like in the classics I mean

it's a thought! as well as the idea to enable kurtis' sprint.

but right now the goal is to just do those few things i have left listed in "future features i'd like" near the bottom of the OP. i'm not very skilled.

Quote:

Originally Posted by perryloo (Post 8315682)
I think you have used the correct terminology for AOD Lara, ie, a tank, as her original controls are diabolical, and she is like controlling a tank on the PC.

Tank Controls is actually the term for controls used in classic resident evil, silent hill 1, classic tomb raider, parasite eve 2, etc.
d-pad up = forward
d-pad down = backward
d-pad left/right = turn left/right

it's not really a term i was trying to use to be funny, lol. but i'm glad you found it amusing :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by perryloo (Post 8315682)
AOD controls are just buggy and Lara's controls are like a tank, having to rotate and move, calculation of gaps is hopeless, dying all the time is frustrating. I just do not know why the designers changed these controls on the AOD engine, but it was not for the better.

Its a real pity the controls were that bad, as its the best storyline in the whole Tomb Raider franchise. So I will try the above mod and see if the controls are bit more accurate, especially jumping, and hopefully less tank like.

i think the problem you have with jumping is more an issue of TR:AoD no longer being on the grid system of TR1-5 (which is what leads to the precise control-and-go movement and platforming of the classics), as well as the upgrade system of AoD which has the player constantly reevaluate how far a jump or hop will take lara. i don't think tank plus is going to help, nor would sasho648's recovery patch EXE or even playing the PS2 version with its camera-relative analog controls.

Jathom95 16-08-21 11:28

Tbh, the removal of the grid system wasn't really the worst part of the controls. It wasn't as precise, but it sort of made sense with the idea of Lara building back up her strength that she'd be able to do more over time.

The real annoyance I feel is how several things about it were just completely broken. The small hop is really supposed to be used for shorter distances, since it stays consistent throughout the game, but in vanilla it's barely mentioned and was completely broken with the swerve at that. So areas like Wrath of the Beast and all were just needlessly difficult. The walk to run thing and slower run speed made it nearly impossible with smaller ledges to get Lara the running start she'd need to actually make a jump. And just smaller things like that.

They're not perfect, no. But having those things fixed or gone goes a long way toward making L&K more responsive I feel.

LaraCablara 16-08-21 15:07

It is so crazy to me that the developers themselves struggled to control the game during demonstrations and somehow thought it was ok to stay with this control scheme. The fact that fans can come up with something better is nuts :p Core could have ripped off the control system of any other platform game that came out in that era and it would have already been an improvement over their own ideas!

Jathom95 16-08-21 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaraCablara (Post 8315720)
It is so crazy to me that the developers themselves struggled to control the game during demonstrations and somehow thought it was ok to stay with this control scheme. The fact that fans can come up with something better is nuts :p Core could have ripped off the control system of any other platform game that came out in that era and it would have already been an improvement over their own ideas!

I've always had a feeling that the whole mess with the controls came about after the mandate from Sony to switch over to the analog control scheme. There's just no other explanation for how from the game's beta that they seemed to be fine then compared to what we got at retail.

LaraCablara 16-08-21 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jathom95 (Post 8315732)
I've always had a feeling that the whole mess with the controls came about after the mandate from Sony to switch over to the analog control scheme. There's just no other explanation for how from the game's beta that they seemed to be fine then compared to what we got at retail.

But they should have been analog and non tank like from the very start. Even back in 1996 this was the direction controls were going in. I wish someone had asked them in one of the interviews for the 25th anniversary why they struggled with controls so much.

Jathom95 16-08-21 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaraCablara (Post 8315734)
But they should have been analog and non tank like from the very start. Even back in 1996 this was the direction controls were going in. I wish someone had asked them in one of the interviews for the 25th anniversary why they struggled with controls so much.

Yeah, arguably that was one of Core's biggest faults. They struggled with modernizing from the classics. But I'm positive that most of AOD's technical faults are from basically everyone at Core during that time being completely mismanaged. You look at it from the outside and think how could anyone possibly royally mess up something like controls this bad. But knowing the state they were in at the time, it's really no wonder things went all over the place.

LateRaider 16-08-21 17:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaraCablara (Post 8315720)

Honestly what is most bizarre to me is how the PS2 and PC versions use such radically different control schemes. I think the PS2 version has the superior controls by a mile. Meanwhile until someone is able to work out how to get the camera relative controls working 100% fine on PC for keyboard and mouse as well as XInput, we're stuck detangling this weird PC control difference.

Jathom95 16-08-21 17:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateRaider (Post 8315747)
Honestly what is most bizarre to me is how the PS2 and PC versions use such radically different control schemes. I think the PS2 version has the superior controls by a mile. Meanwhile until someone is able to work out how to get the camera relative controls working 100% fine on PC for keyboard and mouse as well as XInput, we're stuck detangling this weird PC control difference.

That's one's actually pretty easy, the reasoning I mean. The PS2 was the lead development platform, so Core spent most of their time on that. The PC version was developed last and is why it has so many more issues even besides the controls. It was literally developed as an afterthought.

I remember Nakamichi saying once that the flipped texture issues came about because the PS2 has some sort of texture occlusion technology that certain textures utilized that the PC version doesn't have. So when the PC version was made, those textures showed up as transparent because there was nothing on the other side and it went unnoticed to due lack of development time.

Caesum 16-08-21 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateRaider (Post 8315603)
but kurtis can't hop back

Oooh okay that makes sense, yeah. That's a real shame tbh. If only we had tools so we could add Lara's hop back animation to him. Oh well. Yeah in that case it makes sense to use something else. By the way, have you considered swapping back left/right movement when L/K is walking backwards? In TR1-5 + TRLE clicking eg. left while walking back would make Lara turn to the left, which in result makes her hop back to the right. This is inverted in TRAOD for some reason. Since most TRAOD fans are also TR1-5 fans (I suppose), it would make more sense to keep controls similar.

Also, alternatively if it's possible, maybe Lara could use her hop back animation while Kurtis could use gallop back instead..? Unless you can't make it that way, in that case I'm personally perfectly okay with galloping for both of them.

EDIT: Do you plan to do something about the combat mode?

LateRaider 16-08-21 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caesum (Post 8315770)
Also, alternatively if it's possible, maybe Lara could use her hop back animation while Kurtis could use gallop back instead..?

that's a thought, but i think i'd rather keep the controls cohesive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caesum (Post 8315770)
EDIT: Do you plan to do something about the combat mode?

I'm not going to do anything with combat mode, and I would like to reverse the back up but it depends. Like I said right now tank plus is on hold unless someone can help me with the remaining issues before Sasho says breaktime is over

Jathom95 16-08-21 20:29

As much as I can't stand that damn camera, I do agree that someone should probably roll that into their own mod or something. Just like many of Sasho's changes in his mod being controversial to some, they may likewise prefer having the combat camera for some reason.

I'd say the more necessary addition if someone can ever find out how to do it is making Swap Targets more accessible. People over in the general section have commented that they didn't even know AOD had that function at all. I think your suggestion of mapping it to the Stealth key and not being able to go into stealth with a weapon drawn would be best, though like you I've no clue how it'd be done.

Caesum 17-08-21 17:10

Honestly in my opinion the main problem with combat is not the camera itself, but L&K's erratic left/right movement along with an obvious camera mode switching lag after an enemy is killed. Like I don't even miss jumping while shooting that much, because it's not even needed in TRAOD, but the left/right movement and camera lag are the worst offenders.

Jathom95 31-08-21 14:13

@LateRaider Been meaning to say, thanks for the work you've put into this. While I'd gotten used to playing with Sasho's patch, and am grateful for how much better it made running in particular, there were things about it I wasn't crazy about. I actually didn't mind the 180 turn much, but the limping and low health effect and especially the "Last Chance Grab" thing, I really could've done without.

I think Sasho's mod worked better as a proof of concept, while yours aims to be strictly vanilla controls enhancement, hence the name. But it's great to finally have more fluidity with the controls now without having to compromise. Thanks again. :)

Joey79100 05-09-21 19:39

A few months ago I tried doing an AOD run, but I stopped in the middle of Industrial Rooftops, because I got annoyed very quick of the running speed and the walk to run bug. And I didn't want to play with sasho's patch because it doesn't feel like it was meant to be this way (the extra things overbalance the positive things in it in my opinion).

So yesterday I wanted to try out this mod, just to see how it felt. I ended up finished the entire game earlier today. :gabisaysbequiet:

It genuinely felt good. Once the running speed is back at 100% instead of 70ish% (btw it was slow but definitely not 50%, that's a bit misleading :p) and that walk to run bug is fixed, the controls are actually pretty good. I even wanna say it's better than the classics.
Two things that would add even more to responsivity would be: allowing Lara to keep turning while she stops running (like in TR1-5), and make the fact that she keeps running after a jump dependent on the key pressed only (right now she will always and only run if she was already running before the jump). The rest actually feels like it's more permissive than the classics, something I didn't feel was true before.
Also making a few animations faster could help, for example wall-hugging in stealth mode actually feels like 50% animation speed. Also maybe the ladder animations could be faster (especially Kurtis's ones because they're even worse), Kurtis's transitions from crouch to that alternate crouch he needs to move forward (and vice-versa), but overall it's pretty good.
Monkey swinging could use a little fixing too: you can't turn in place, even though she has the required animations (right now she will always start moving forward when you press left or right).

Also it seems sasho had fixed more than playing with the controls, there's a crash that occurs in the Strahov in vanilla, and in this mod too: I kept getting the error mentioned in this thread right after the Luddick's death cutscene, and generally around the lasers area. Disabling sound only fixed it for a while, but sasho's patch fixed it completely.

Anyway: that mod, plus reverb, plus nakamichi's level fixes, plus his multipatcher to fix a few other things (control wise, removing the lag from the Look button, and inverting the Y axis to make it like the classics) just made the whole AOD experience way more solid than I ever thought I would see. Even Kurtis was bearable. Combat mode is still **** but that's a whole topic. :cln:
I used to launch AOD with cheats only to fly around places and look for removed stuff. This time I actually enjoyed playing it properly.

Thank you for this mod. :)

Jathom95 05-09-21 20:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey79100 (Post 8319177)
Like I've said before, even AOD can be given a second chance. :)

I'm so very glad to hear LateRaider's work improved the game for you that much, alongside everything else as well!

LateRaider 06-09-21 03:33

oh i guess sasho did a lot more than we all thought. i wish i had any idea of how to fix the strahov crash. i'm sorry.

Jathom95 06-09-21 03:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateRaider (Post 8319209)
oh i guess sasho did a lot more than we all thought. i wish i had any idea of how to fix the strahov crash. i'm sorry.

I can't recall ever having an issue with any part of the Strahov, even in vanilla, but the few reports of it circulating means it must not be an isolated event. I wonder if it has anything to do with the memory error I helped TRJTA solve for his Definitive Edition texture project? Vanilla AOD doesn't really ever hit the upper RAM limit at all, but it could possibly be something with that.

On an unrelated note, something I really wish we could fix is the disconnect between different interfaces in game. There's no clear cut control scheme for any of those. For instance, in Parisian Ghetto, you press Action to open those area maps, and Action again to close it. Logical enough, right? But then the same isn't true everywhere else. The computer in the Louvre to look into Carvier's office can only be closed by pressing Duck. Vasiley's clock puzzle is closed by pressing Stealth. It's all just really weird and not intuitive at all. Not to mention things like the keypad will adjust to whatever you have mapped for Action but to move the hand around you still have to use the arrow keys.

TRJTA 06-09-21 10:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jathom95 (Post 8319211)
I can't recall ever having an issue with any part of the Strahov, even in vanilla, but the few reports of it circulating means it must not be an isolated event. I wonder if it has anything to do with the memory error I helped TRJTA solve for his Definitive Edition texture project? Vanilla AOD doesn't really ever hit the upper RAM limit at all, but it could possibly be something with that.

On an unrelated note, something I really wish we could fix is the disconnect between different interfaces in game. There's no clear cut control scheme for any of those. For instance, in Parisian Ghetto, you press Action to open those area maps, and Action again to close it. Logical enough, right? But then the same isn't true everywhere else. The computer in the Louvre to look into Carvier's office can only be closed by pressing Duck. Vasiley's clock puzzle is closed by pressing Stealth. It's all just really weird and not intuitive at all. Not to mention things like the keypad will adjust to whatever you have mapped for Action but to move the hand around you still have to use the arrow keys.

Yes agreed. Those key bindings are so random.

ANoDE 06-09-21 21:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRJTA (Post 8319235)
Yes agreed. Those key bindings are so random.

I assume this was one of those: "Let's make it work first and fix it later" issues that - unfortunately - never got fixed.

Jathom95 06-09-21 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by ANoDE (Post 8319282)
I assume this was one of those: "Let's make it work first and fix it later" issues that - unfortunately - never got fixed.

Yes, that's about the only thing that makes sense. You'd think though if they specifically had to program those functions to use a certain key that it would've just been easier to map it to the right one the first time. Unless there were unforeseen issues.

.snake. 07-09-21 08:07

I feel like Core were always all over the place with that kind of stuff though - whether it was something they planned on fixing later or not.

The discrepancy of the security camera/key pad/Vasiley's clock puzzle/etc. controls, and exiting out of those modes, reminds me of Core's vehicles in games 2, 3 and 4. In each game they seem to have mapped completely different keys as to how to drive, accelerate, and exit the vehicle... I always find myself pressing all buttons on my keyboard until I'm able to exit the damn vehicle... much like how I'm pressing every button on my keyboard to get AOD Lara to exit the camera terminal :o

Jathom95 07-09-21 13:34

P
Quote:

Originally Posted by .snake. (Post 8319302)
I feel like Core were always all over the place with that kind of stuff though - whether it was something they planned on fixing later or not.

The discrepancy of the security camera/key pad/Vasiley's clock puzzle/etc. controls, and exiting out of those modes, reminds me of Core's vehicles in games 2, 3 and 4. In each game they seem to have mapped completely different keys as to how to drive, accelerate, and exit the vehicle... I always find myself pressing all buttons on my keyboard until I'm able to exit the damn vehicle... much like how I'm pressing every button on my keyboard to get AOD Lara to exit the camera terminal :o

Somewhat, yes. But in 1-5 that was likely mostly because of having annual releases and not really getting in enough time to refine anything. It does seem like it was a Core staple, but having to rush one game out the door and start development on another means they probably just had to get things as functional as they could.

But the biggest difference in those games was the grid system. Lara's precise movement and being able to move and jump the same distance every time meant people could probably overlook a lot of the smaller discrepancies.

With AOD having the grid system removed, in its place we have the stripped-down upgrade system that adjusts her abilities and jump length constantly. The vanilla controls have the walk-to-run thing and slower run speed than any of the rest of the classics (though nowadays we know why with that one, Core intended to have variable running speeds for Lara the more her strength increased).

So in AOD's case, it makes a lot of the smaller discrepancies stand out more with the potentially more fluid control system.

Jathom95 08-10-21 03:18

Late, if you're ever in a position to come back to this, I'd say about the only other tweak to Lara in particular is adjusting her turn speed. It's fine enough if she's standing perfectly still, but if you move her forward and try to turn around just after stopping, there's like a 1 second delay before she does it. It's just enough to be annoying. I've noticed Kurtis moves slightly faster than Lara does while turning, even after moving. So it might be possible.

I think that plus your potential future additions if someone is ever able to help would pretty much make Lara as fluid as she can possibly be in AOD.

Btw, I've been noticing different people posting about Lara moving slowly in stealth mode if she's hugging the wall. Wanted to mention that she'll move faster if you press whichever key for the direction you want her to go in, plus the up directional key at the same time.

LateRaider 08-12-21 20:06

v1.5 is out a bit earlier than anticipated. All of reborninshadow's changes have motivated me.

Changes:
- Lara/Kurtis slink along walls in stealth at 100% speed, instead of 30% like before
- After holstering a gun or killing an enemy, the camera now returns to normal behavior without delay
- If a gun was drawn prior to sprinting, Lara will not holster it
- Lara/Kurtis can now enter stealth mode with a gun out and shoot (This does not apply to slinking along walls)
- Applied Erik Pistelli's 4 GB Patch to increase EXE memory

2.0 will hopefully see side stepping, stealth, sprinting, and rolling on stairs without eliminating the stair climb animations.

Jathom95 08-12-21 20:09

Thanks for the update Late! :)

LateRaider 09-12-21 22:54

You're welcome. New example video is up showcasing all changes thus far.

KIKO 10-12-21 00:26

This is really helpful and Iím glad you made a video demonstrating and showcasing all the changes. I donít own a pc these days so I canít try it out myself.

If we are on the topic of speeding up animations, may I suggest altering the speed of ladder climbing? I donít know about everyone else but to me itís always been too slow, especially when you have to climb the longer ladders in the strahov

Jathom95 10-12-21 00:46

^ Lol, especially going up them. Going down, I use the "Let go, grab again" method just like 1-5. Which, considering she has to re-orient herself on the ladder, may end up making it take just as long anyway. But at least it feels quicker. :D

In all seriousness though, I like the ladder speed as-is honestly because it looks realistic. If it were sped up even a little, I feel like it'd look a little ridiculous.

LateRaider 10-12-21 05:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by KIKO (Post 8334778)
If we are on the topic of speeding up animations, may I suggest altering the speed of ladder climbing? I donít know about everyone else but to me itís always been too slow, especially when you have to climb the longer ladders in the strahov

Not a bad idea but I don't think I'd want to do that. If it shows up, I'll test it but thanks for the suggestion.

Jathom95 10-12-21 14:35

I think really the only other move that is slower on PC because of porting issues is Lara's turning speed.

Reborn mentioned that the reason wall hugging was so slow was because of a call for non-existent Analog controls being in the PC version as well. So, she always went as slow as possible by default.

I mentioned in the General thread though that, strangely, if you had her moving along the wall while also pressing the Down directional button/key, it would make her go as fast as possible as well. So that must've somehow been linked to the broken Analog call in the exe for some reason.

And turning around does the same thing, you go faster if you press Down after you've already started moving. That's what makes me wonder if there's another "block" in there somewhere. Where, if removed, she'd turn around as fast as possible every time. Kurtis also turns around slightly faster than Lara by default, so I wonder what's going on there?