www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   I tried playing Uncharted 4 for the first time and... (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=223785)

Mutant Messiah 04-12-19 02:26

I tried playing Uncharted 4 for the first time and...
 
I know this reaction is years delayed, but anyway...

I bought the base PS4 on Black Friday, and I installed Uncharted 4 in it. Can't resist the discounted rate on the Playstore Store, and I was excited. For the first time, I'll be able to play the game that the Tomb Raider reboot franchise aspires to be. So this is basically as casual of an opinion that it can get. So here are my basic observations so far. I'm currently at level 6 or something.

1. Cutscenes are too long. Like longer than Max Payne's even.

2. Lighting is perfect. Probably the best that I've seen in a video game.

3. Acting is good to great. Not mindblowing, but it's not Camilla Luddington reboot cringe-y.

4. I guess too many set-pieces. I'm just starting and there are already two prison break sequences. I mean, the melee is basic. Better than Lara's but aren't that great. Just spam the punch button and press triangle to break free when there's a melee lock.

5. I don't know why some people complain on Shadow's climbing mechanics, but this game has too much climbing too.

6. The combat shooting mechanics is good even when on a control pad. It's not as hard as what PC users would normally expect from a control pad. Automatic re-healing helps. The shooting while covered mechanics is a good addition.

7. Too much hallway walking simulation sequences.

8. Not enough exploration for a game that flaunts its graphics. It's more of a picturesque horizon that you necessarily can't go to. Kinda like Rise's Syria level, but bigger.

9. I don't really know what Drake can do if he's chased by Jaguars from the TR reboot. I seriously don't know if the control pad can save me. I'm so used to the well mapped buttons on my mouse plus keyboard on PC. The one reason why I haven't died so many times yet is because the cover mechanics is saving my @$$ while waiting to heal. I don't know if my enemies will throw grenades at me, but so far, they have not done that yet.

10. If PS4 has a mouse and keyboard, this game will be so much easier. It already is on NORMAL difficulty.

11. I tried attaching the PS4 controller to my laptop to see if I can survive the Jaguar on Rise, and I could barely survive that thing.

12. Uncharted 4 on control pad is smoother than the TR reboot on control pad. Mouse and keyboard is another story.

13. Currently at level 6, and throughout the whole stretch, there's only ONE PUZZLE I had to solve. That's the part where Nathan had to get that crucifix figure from the wall. And that even wasn't hard of a puzzle. It's just there. Not hard by Tomb Raider standards.

14. Story is easy to understand even if I haven't played the other Uncharted games.

15. This game doesn't really feel that much comparable to the Tomb Raider reboot. Max Payne 3 is a better comparison.

16. In some aspects. I would even say Max Payne 3 is better. Combat mechanics is just as good. Cutscenes are less intrusive. No climbing sequences. And your enemies really have cool rifles to loot. More action sequences too. You just die more.

17. Still, Uncharted 4 is a very recommendable game if you're starting with PS4. This game is VERY newbie/casual friendly.

18. Auto save is very aggressive. Even more so than the Tomb Raider reboot.

19. I'm not sure if I would explore the entire Naughty Dog game selection if Uncharted 4 is any indication. The lengthy cutscenes is turning me off, though at the mean time, I don't wanna skip because I wanna understand the story.

Anyway, I'm posting this because I wanna know if anyone here shares my sentiments, regardless of our preference for Tomb Raider.

robm_2007 04-12-19 03:38

"cutscenes too long"

DO NOT play Metal Gear Solid :admles: (Though I never thought Uncharted's were too long or even close to it; typically all of their cutscenes are worth watching and quite frankly, better than the actual gameplay most of the time.).

I don't think there's to much climbing, just too much ledge hopping. If the mechanics were better, it might not seem like excessive climbing.

Admles 04-12-19 04:14

Moving to Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

killchan 04-12-19 07:17

! You've made a huge mistake playing this game first.

U4 assumes you're already heavily invested in the characters, that's why most people don't mind the longer cutscenes. Start with the Remastered Trilogy, 1 and 2 are much tighter games than 3 and 4. 2 in particular is the game TR2013 took notes from, while adding stuff no one asked for (e.g. progression).

Also, look around for treasures. They unlock bonus content.

Tombraider95 04-12-19 09:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by killchan (Post 8156830)
! You've made a huge mistake playing this game first.

I agree. It's kinda like jumping in and reading HP Goblet of Fire! It's definitely better to play the previous 3 so you can see how the series progresses.

SnatchingEdges 04-12-19 10:08

Uncharted is a Hollywood movie made videogame. Puzzles, exploration... they're not the focus of this saga. The dialogues, the characters, the explosions, the chase scenes, the action sequences, basic gun fightning... are. Don't expect a Tomb Raider or any game alike.

This game can be compared to The Last of Us, this one being better, but it's far different from other iconic works by ND like Jak & Daxter or Crash Bandicoot.

Zsott 04-12-19 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mutant Messiah (Post 8156797)

4. I guess too many set-pieces. I'm just starting and there are already two prison break sequences. I mean, the melee is basic. Better than Lara's but aren't that great. Just spam the punch button and press triangle to break free when there's a melee lock.

Uncharted in a nutshell, and reboot tries to be like this... tho SoTR took a step back , I think.

Quote:

5. I don't know why some people complain on Shadow's climbing mechanics, but this game has too much climbing too.
This is new to me, since I never seen anyone to complain about climbing.
About it's scripted ways, yes.


Quote:

7. Too much hallway walking simulation sequences.
An another example, why reboot gets compared to UC.

Quote:

8. Not enough exploration for a game that flaunts its graphics. It's more of a picturesque horizon that you necessarily can't go to. Kinda like Rise's Syria level, but bigger.
This, I agree.
Spoiler!
Libertalia supposed be this big rich city, founded by pirates. Yet, what you can see from it, is limited to mini arenas to either figure out your way, or fight Shoreline.What we can see from it, is really good looking, but it makes me want to look around, but I can't. Good example the market district.

Quote:

9. I don't really know what Drake can do if he's chased by Jaguars from the TR reboot. I seriously don't know if the control pad can save me. I'm so used to the well mapped buttons on my mouse plus keyboard on PC. The one reason why I haven't died so many times yet is because the cover mechanics is saving my @$$ while waiting to heal. I don't know if my enemies will throw grenades at me, but so far, they have not done that yet.
Well, good thing for you, there are no animals (not killable ones) in the UC universe...besides the spiders in UC 3.
Also, they should throw grenades since the auction house level... also, soon there should be armored ones with shotguns/miniguns too.

Quote:

10. If PS4 has a mouse and keyboard, this game will be so much easier. It already is on NORMAL difficulty.
This seems to be your personal refernce, because me and many others had managed just fine with the PS4 controller...

Quote:

11. I tried attaching the PS4 controller to my laptop to see if I can survive the Jaguar on Rise, and I could barely survive that thing.
Okay...? What the lynx has to do with UC4?

Quote:

13. Currently at level 6, and throughout the whole stretch, there's only ONE PUZZLE I had to solve. That's the part where Nathan had to get that crucifix figure from the wall. And that even wasn't hard of a puzzle. It's just there. Not hard by Tomb Raider standards.
UC was never a puzzle oriented franchise, but I do think it could have carry a bit more of the puzzles. At the end of the day, they are good for what they are.
At least Lost Legacy made up for it, on that department.

Quote:

14. Story is easy to understand even if I haven't played the other Uncharted games.
No surprise here... this wasn't a three game long "origin story".


Quote:

19. I'm not sure if I would explore the entire Naughty Dog game selection if Uncharted 4 is any indication. The lengthy cutscenes is turning me off, though at the mean time, I don't wanna skip because I wanna understand the story.
This is a bit silly to say...
Crash Bandicoot is a platforming based game, it is fun even as an adult.
TLoU is a survival horror game, with a very few similarities to the mechanics of UC.

All in all, you shouldn't judge their portfolio by one game in one genre...

JoelCaesar 04-12-19 15:28

Uncharted is more story orientated than gameplay. This shouldn't be a shock to anyone. Tomb Raider is the opposite I would say.

Daft Raider 04-12-19 15:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mutant Messiah (Post 8156797)
5. I don't know why some people complain on Shadow's climbing mechanics, but this game has too much climbing too.

This is because Uncharted has always used this sort of climbing, Reboot has merely copied the UC formula, so that's why some criticize TR for it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mutant Messiah (Post 8156797)
8. Not enough exploration for a game that flaunts its graphics. It's more of a picturesque horizon that you necessarily can't go to. Kinda like Rise's Syria level, but bigger.

I agree with this. I love Uncharted, but it really lacks in the exploration area. I really love finding artifacts in the reboot and having Lara explain a little bit about them, one of the best things to come out of reboot. Going back to UC after having this in TR makes UC feel really unrewarding in terms of finding artifacts. I don't really care to just look at it, I want to know what it is too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mutant Messiah (Post 8156797)
9. I don't really know what Drake can do if he's chased by Jaguars from the TR reboot. I seriously don't know if the control pad can save me. I'm so used to the well mapped buttons on my mouse plus keyboard on PC. The one reason why I haven't died so many times yet is because the cover mechanics is saving my @$$ while waiting to heal. I don't know if my enemies will throw grenades at me, but so far, they have not done that yet.

This is an odd criticism, Nathan would probably be ripped apart like Miguel if he was faced with a Jaguar, just like Lara should've been if the TR games were as realistic as they claim to be. :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mutant Messiah (Post 8156797)
13. Currently at level 6, and throughout the whole stretch, there's only ONE PUZZLE I had to solve. That's the part where Nathan had to get that crucifix figure from the wall. And that even wasn't hard of a puzzle. It's just there. Not hard by Tomb Raider standards.

UC's never had complex puzzles, if any in fact. It's just not really apart of the series, it's always just been an action adventure game through and through. You're comparing this too heavily to TR...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mutant Messiah (Post 8156797)
15. This game doesn't really feel that much comparable to the Tomb Raider reboot. Max Payne 3 is a better comparison.

I agree as well, so it's odd that TR wants to be UC so bad, lol. Oh wait, I know why, because it's successful, and CD follows wherever the money is. :p

thabani33 05-12-19 09:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mutant Messiah (Post 8156797)
1. Cutscenes are too long. Like longer than Max Payne's even.

Make a note to self: to stay away from anything developed by Kojima.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mutant Messiah (Post 8156797)
16. In some aspects. I would even say Max Payne 3 is better. Combat mechanics is just as good. Cutscenes are less intrusive. No climbing sequences. And your enemies really have cool rifles to loot. More action sequences too. You just die more.

I think it's overkill to make that comparison to Uncharted since Max is an extraordinaire detective Neo from the Matrix. You can't compare him to a regular dude like Drake whose ability are very grounded to reality (except when he starts flying when leaping over large gaps).


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:11.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.