Tomb Raider Forums

Tomb Raider Forums (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Future of Tomb Raider (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Should the next games start with a mystery? (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=222816)

iWANEX 16-05-19 03:23

Should the next games start with a mystery?

Something I just realized is that the first trilogy always start with a flashback/mystery and the cool thing about those stories is that you only get to find out what is happening by the end of each game. It's pretty cool to go back and see the beginning with a new perspective.

I feel like that's something they lost with the rest of the games. As everyone has probably noticed by now, the last trilogy from Core shifted the main focus from the myth, to a story more focused on personal drama (Von Croy and young Lara, Lara's friends remembering her adventures after her death, and Lara being suspected for Von Croy's murder).

So what do you think? I really enjoy the mysterious aspect of first trilogy and it was nice to see the flashbacks and where was the ancient artifact coming from. Should the next games adopt that? I feel like it would benefit the franchise.

Amunet 16-05-19 10:33

I LOVED those opening cinematics about the mystery!!! Definitely wouldn't mind for them to make a return. :D

TrustyBow 16-05-19 11:49

Eh, I never got a mystery vibe from the early games. I guess in the sense that you didn't really know what was happening, but I never got the impression that the mystery was driving the game. I wouldn't mind an outrageous story where you don't know what's happening, though.

Also, I wouldn't mind the story focusing on the myth, as long as the family drama is taken out. Legend, sans mother drama, had a great direction in regards to the story focusing on the myth.

charmedangelin 17-05-19 18:56

I had an idea of the game starting with Lara being captured by a rival. Lara says a few smart quips before she is able to escape. Then the player takes control of Lara inside the Tomb, playing around with a few old and a few new mechanics. Then solve a puzzle in the tomb which reveals the artifact.

Then Lara is confronted by her rival. Her rival wants Lara to give the artifact. Instead of fighting back Lara grabs the artifact and tosses it to the rival. The rival begins screaming and bursts into flame.

The gunmen try to kill Lara but she swan dives out of the tomb. She then swims to to shore and pulls out the real artifact and makes a smart quip about the end of that rival.

Then we cut to croft manor and this is where the story opens up. We find that Lara has been recovering all sorts of artifacts and maybe she has all kinds of awards.

To be honest I would love for Croft Manor to be used as the hub and the game to feature globe trotting.

Patrick star 17-05-19 18:59

[QUOTE=TrustyBow;8089539][B]Eh, I never got a mystery vibe from the early games. I guess in the sense that you didn't really know what was happening, but I never got the impression that the mystery was driving the game.[/B] I wouldn't mind an outrageous story where you don't know what's happening, though.

Also, I wouldn't mind the story focusing on the myth, as long as the family drama is taken out. [B]Legend, sans mother drama, had a great direction in regards to the story focusing on the myth[/B].[/QUOTE]

Exactly this :tmb:

Hepburn 17-05-19 19:15

[QUOTE=charmedangelin;8089892]To be honest I would love for Croft Manor to be used as the hub and the game to feature globe trotting.[/QUOTE]

I dunno about everything else you said, but this is a concept I'd very much like to see. I want to feel as if all those relics/artifacts we're collecting are good for something... I want to see them on display in Croft Manor.

Think about it. How motivating/satisfying would it be to see an empty showroom in Croft Manor that slowly fills up as you acquire more and more treasure? It would feel like your actions actually have a tangible impact on the world. Croft Manor could physically change based on your progress, decisions, and accomplishments in the game.

One of my favorite parts of SotTR is the flashback sequence with young Lara finding the "Forbidden Tomb" (aka her dad's personal museum). She then marvels over the artifacts that her dad has on display. I think it would be awesome to build on that idea and have present Lara find/recover new items for the collection.

Samz 17-05-19 19:28

[QUOTE=iWANEX;8089473]Something I just realized is that the first trilogy always start with a flashback/mystery and the cool thing about those stories is that you only get to find out what is happening by the end of each game. It's pretty cool to go back and see the beginning with a new perspective.

I feel like that's something they lost with the rest of the games. As everyone has probably noticed by now, the last trilogy from Core shifted the main focus from the myth, to a story more focused on personal drama (Von Croy and young Lara, Lara's friends remembering her adventures after her death, and Lara being suspected for Von Croy's murder).

So what do you think? I really enjoy the mysterious aspect of first trilogy and it was nice to see the flashbacks and where was the ancient artifact coming from. Should the next games adopt that? I feel like it would benefit the franchise.[/QUOTE]

I'd say AOD had a mystery, how you would find in some levels (Von Croy's Apartments, Louvre galleries and the Monstrum crime scene off the top of my head), information on stuff, you go from knowing nothing about the Lux Veritatis and the paintings to slowly getting bits of information as the game goes on.

I want that but not bloated like the Reboot.

[QUOTE=Hepburn;8089898]I dunno about everything else you said, but this is a concept I'd very much like to see. I want to feel as if all those relics/artifacts we're collecting are good for something... I want to see them on display in Croft Manor.

Think about it. How motivating/satisfying would it be to see an empty showroom in Croft Manor that slowly fills up as you acquire more and more treasure? It would feel like your actions actually have a tangible impact on the world. Croft Manor could physically change based on your progress, decisions, and accomplishments in the game.

One of my favorite parts of SotTR is the flashback sequence with young Lara finding the "Forbidden Tomb" (aka her dad's personal museum). She then marvels over the artifacts that her dad has on display. I think it would be awesome to build on that idea and have present Lara find/recover new items for the collection.[/QUOTE]

I loved that about Anniversary's croft manor.

I'd like to see a return of that.

Samz 17-05-19 19:29

double psot

iWANEX 17-05-19 20:40

Maybe I didn't express myself correctly but there is a mysterious flashback at the beginning of each TR game up until TLR. You're given absolutely no context, like Natla's capsule in TR1 (you have no idea who that is or what's going on), the Dragon and the dagger in TR2 (we don't know why a dragon would die because of that dagger and why they're hiding it), or what did the meteorite do at the beginning of TR3. They show you these things without telling you anything else and you get to find out more alongside Lara. And when you go back and replay the game again you finally know what's going on.

Seriously, am I the only one seeing this? I thought everyone had a similar experience.

Anyway, my question is that if you'd want to see this type of introductions in the next games (with a flashback of the ancient people doing their thing, etc.), or you prefer the way they've been doing it up until now (with Lara being the focus of the story).

Samz 17-05-19 20:47

[QUOTE=iWANEX;8089927]Maybe I didn't express myself correctly but there is a mysterious flashback at the beginning of each TR game up until TLR. You're given absolutely no context, like Natla's capsule in TR1 (you have no idea who that is or what's going on), the Dragon and the dagger in TR2 (we don't know why a dragon would die because of that dagger and why they're hiding it), or what did the meteorite do at the beginning of TR3. They show you these things without telling you anything else and you get to find out more alongside Lara. And when you go back and replay the game again you finally know what's going on.

Seriously, am I the only one seeing this? I thought everyone had a similar experience.

Anyway, my question is that if you'd want to see this type of introductions in the next games (with a flashback of the ancient people doing their thing, etc.), or you prefer the way they've been doing it up until now (with Lara being the focus of the story).[/QUOTE]

Yeah I agree, I did wonder what the metorite was when I played TR3 and AOD's as a kid but the fact files book/internet kinda spoiled erverything else.

I just thought AOD had a bit of a mystery too.

Flashback, followed by the minimum needed exposition via Lara researching where to go (Like the Manor scenes in Legend) and I mean ACTUALLY researching it, don't have Jonah come in and Lara just go "OH HEY I FOUND WHERE TO GO!", actually show us it or even have it be a simple puzzle-thing.

I want actual on-screen research, not cutting to Lara already researched everything already.

So, for instance, if TR3 was done again, we get the whole flashback we had in the PS1 but maybe we see Lara in Croft Manor reading about the Infada Tribe then something written in there gives her the idea to go to India.

I know for London, I'd have a scene showing Lara getting really annoyed at having absolutely no idea where the artefact is, either gives up or knocks over a beauty magazine and there's Sophia Lee posing with the staff or something among those lines.