www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Shadow of the Tomb Raider (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   How Lara's voice should've been (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=222828)

RodneyMac12 18-05-19 03:05

How Lara's voice should've been

So once again, a new game has come out that has a character with more similarities and characteristics to Lara Croft.

Skip to 15:29 She sounds just like classic Lara!

This character, in my opinion, she reminds me of Lara Croft more than the Lara we actually have now. I was hoping Camilla Luddington would try to sound more unique and British in SOTTR as this actress does, but it seemed to be the other way around. No hate towards Camilla, but this voice actor sounds and acts closer to Lara Croft than her. She even has a braid!

I just can't fathom the fact that other developers and games tribute classic Lara more than Crystal Dynamics/ Eidos Montreal. You now have other characters wielding dual pistols, braids, and Lara Croft traits. We can only hope for the next game, but there's only so much hoping a fanbase can do before they loose it.

Lyle Croft 18-05-19 03:16

Holy ****.... (the mother right)

It's EXACTLY how I imagine if
Shelley Blond + Judith Gibbins + Jonell Elliott's voices were all merged into one. (In that one part) the rest has the accent though lol

With a touch of camilla...maybe 5% though.

---
When the mother tells the daughter to hold the brother's hand...and all...it sounds like AoD Lara during the tutorial levels lol!

RodneyMac12 18-05-19 03:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lyle Croft (Post 8090046)
Holy ****.... (the mother right)

It's EXACTLY how I imagine if
Shelley Blond + Judith Gibbins + Jonell Elliott's voices were all merged into one. (In that one part) the rest has the accent though lol

With a touch of camilla...maybe 5% though.

---
When the mother tells the daughter to hold the brother's hand...and all...it sounds like AoD Lara during the tutorial levels lol!

Yes, the mother. I'm convinced she's older Lara in a different dimension!

iWANEX 18-05-19 09:51

Oh wow. She really sounds like Jonell. Not so much like the rest, though.

It probably wouldn't have worked for this version of Lara, but for an older one it sounds amazing.

Patrick star 18-05-19 10:58

Omg she sounds like an older Jonell :eek: I'm IN LOVE .

Yeauxleaux 18-05-19 11:20

I wouldn't say I'm blown away by the idea of this voice for Lara but it is much better than Camilla. Still a little too earnest-sounding though (perhaps understandable in the context of this game).

I still like the pre-alpha footage voice the most for a younger Lara;

I'm still confused about whether this is someone else or actually Camilla though. I swear I hear Camilla at some points and I'm not convinced it's not her. If it is her then... well damn. They threw her under the bus making her sound like she does in the final thing.

biscuits 18-05-19 11:36

She sounds like an older Jonell.

And I also need to get this out of my chest, but braids aren't a Lara thing! They existed centuries before Lara even existed and will exist centuries from now! I mean seriously most of my female cousins or friends wear braids and not because "LaRA Has AN #IcONic BRaID#. It's because a braid is an extremely boring and basic hairstyle. It isn't unique and it's nothing special. Just like the ponytail.

Rai 18-05-19 11:56

Sure if you want Lara to be in her late 30s, around 40, with a slight French twinge. I don't think she sounds like Lara, especially for Shadow. Camilla sounded perfectly fine in Shadow as a continuation of the character she's been playing over three games.

What on earth makes you think this character is a tribute to CLara? Because she has a braid? Don't be daft, they would have researched how women dressed and wore their hair for whatever time period this is set in. I very much doubt the devs for this game had Lara in mind. I'm really bored of the "this character is more Lara than RBLara" trend. RBLara is just fine as she is. If CD or EM want her to look more like CLara with her outfits and hair they will do so. Her default outfit was already meant as a modern take on the classic outfit.

Yeauxleaux 18-05-19 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by biscuits (Post 8090118)
She sounds like an older Jonell.

And I also need to get this out of my chest, but braids aren't a Lara thing! They existed centuries before Lara even existed and will exist centuries from now! I mean seriously most of my female cousins or friends wear braids and not because "LaRA Has AN #IcONic BRaID#. It's because a braid is an extremely boring and basic hairstyle. It isn't unique and it's nothing special. Just like the ponytail.

Yeah I hate to say it as a huge fan of classic Lara, but I've also never seen the importance or "Lara-ness" of the braid. It's an extremely common hairstyle and not something she's exactly trademarked, a woman appearing with a braid is not "a TrIBuTe To cLAsSiC LaRa!!!".

The dual pistols I think there's a little more argument to say it's a Lara thing, even if she's not the first or last to use them, since she is one of the most famous examples. However the braid is... well just a braid.

It was quite fashionable in the 90s and it was easier to animate than a looser ponytail, that's why she had one. If remasters of the classics happened and for some reason she had a ponytail instead of a braid, then honestly as long as she otherwise looked like classic Lara and not Reboot Lara I wouldn't care, just like I didn't in LAU.

Patrick star 18-05-19 12:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rai (Post 8090120)
Sure if you want Lara to be in her late 30s, around 40, with a slight French twinge. I don't think she sounds like Lara, especially for Shadow. Camilla sounded perfectly fine in Shadow as a continuation of the character she's been playing over three games.

What on earth makes you think this character is a tribute to CLara? Because she has a braid? Don't be daft, they would have researched how women dressed and wore their hair for whatever time period this is set in. I very much doubt the devs for this game had Lara in mind. I'm really bored of the "this character is more Lara than RBLara" trend. RBLara is just fine as she is. If CD or EM want her to look more like CLara with her outfits and hair they will do so. Her default outfit was already meant as a modern take on the classic outfit.

This game (to which I'm going to give a try soon) is set in medieval France , braids and buns were the style for that period . But no , what's more plausible is that they obviously wanted to tribute classic Lara :rolleyes: To quote Reyes : "Because it's all about Lara ! isn't it ??"
This over-glorification has become so stale and boring .
I love it when Rai snaps btw :D