www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Dumb things people say (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=210928)

Caesum 18-05-19 09:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Admles (Post 8090093)
When people get moderated and say "this is a violation of my right to free speech." :vlol:

Newsflash - you don't have a right to free speech, you agreed to terms and conditions when you signed up.

are you even serious with this bull**** right now because if so then TRF truly hit its lowest with this comment

Nickelony 18-05-19 09:48

Quote:

When people get moderated and say "this is a violation of my right to free speech." :vlol:

Newsflash - you don't have a right to free speech, you agreed to terms and conditions when you signed up.

A forum's "terms and conditions" cannot forbid human rights. Just saying...

the_legend 18-05-19 09:56

Quote:

While I do understand your dismay about people saying hurtful things, I think you get a few things confused.

Free speech is a human right but because you can speak freely it does not mean you are free from consequences. You can‘t stop members from saying anything but you can take some disciplinary actions.

The difference here is that when we agreed to terms is that we have accepted that we can not be insulting or hurtful to others, otherwise posts will be deleted erc... And this is a right you have, censoring and deleting posts. I think this is also what you are referring to.

Yeauxleaux 18-05-19 11:35

I think people have lost what "Free Speech" is supposed to mean by it being thrown around too liberally.

"Free Speech" protects you from an oppressive state. It means, in theory, the government and legal system cannot censor you, punish you for "the wrong opinions", stop you from having peaceful demonstrations in public etc. It is supposed to protect (polite) diversity of opinion from being suppressed by a government that feels threatened and resorts to drastic measures to squash opposition.

It doesn't mean "I can say whatever the **** I like and other people just have to accept it and respect me". There are still social consequences, like loss of reputation among peers, social judgment, mockery, being discredited, the possibility people might just disagree with you.

I also think it's fair for establishments (such as your workplace, but can also extend to venues and even internet forums) to exercise the right to dismiss you for ****ty behaviour. You don't walk around the office insulting other members of staff. You don't say lewd, inappropriate things loudly for everyone to hear and then cry "well it's my free speech" when your boss has a problem with you representing the company like that. We know what "appropriate" means in that situation.

However it is contextual, if someone was banned from a place like this simply because they have the "wrong" opinion about Tomb Raider or something else, but they haven't been rude, then you'd have a valid argument. I don't think I've ever seen that happen though. Actually while there I things I really dislike about how this forum is moderated, by and large they are very tolerant of different political opinions if they are said politely.

Dennis's Mom 19-05-19 18:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux (Post 8090117)
However it is contextual, if someone was banned from a place like this simply because they have the "wrong" opinion about Tomb Raider or something else, but they haven't been rude, then you'd have a valid argument. I don't think I've ever seen that happen though. Actually while there I things I really dislike about how this forum is moderated, by and large they are very tolerant of different political opinions if they are said politely.

I would say even then you don't have a valid argument.

TRF is essentially a private party with a very open invitation.

It is, however, Justin's party. He started it and he pays for it. He gets to say what behavior is acceptable and what is not.

Now, if he were to ban people for having the "wrong opinion" about Tomb Raider then it might make it a crappy party, but that still doesn't mean anyone's rights are violated. You don't have the RIGHT to be at TRF regardless of the fact it's on the internet.

jackali 19-05-19 18:30

The analogy I've always used is going to someone's house.

This is Justin's house. He's a pretty relaxed guy. The door is open for anyone to walk in. He's got a sign up at the door when people come in to let them know the house rules. If people break them, he'll kick them out (but usually only for a little while).

Is being kicked out of someone's house a violation of your rights?

Dustie 19-05-19 18:40

It didn't help with the way admles worded his reply and his history of replies, tbh

Lyle Croft 19-05-19 18:59

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

*proceeds to circumcise their baby boy who has no issues*

Gabi 19-05-19 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustie (Post 8090540)
It didn't help with the way admles worded his reply and his history of replies, tbh

While I agree with the bolded part, he did not break any forum rule and only exercised his right to free speech. :whi:

Woops 19-05-19 19:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustie (Post 8090540)

^^^^^^
Nobody is saying Justin's rules are invalid, and most people respect them. We all are really grateful for Justin.
But this is outright ridiculous. First he shades someone (it's clear) (mind you he's staff and if anyone else does it it's toxic spam, no?) Then says we don't have a right to free speech? Oh also I'd like to see where in the rules it states that? Because if it does, I must've misread them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabi (Post 8090543)
While I agree with the bolded part, he did not break any forum rule and only exercised his right to free speech. :whi:

But he says the forum's terms and conditions don't give you a right to free speech. Is he violating forum rules??