www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Future of Tomb Raider (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   General Chat (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=221734)

Legends 25-10-18 00:42

General Chat

The beginning of the future is here! :mis: :D

Let's get back to Tomb Raider!

Costel 25-10-18 01:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legends (Post 8004468)

Let's get back to Tomb Raider...

....with reboot Lara in the reboot universe!

iWANEX 25-10-18 01:02

I can’t wait to see how they’ll keep evolving the reboot era. So many things they can explore and bring to the table. Hopefully things we have never seen in previous installments. I want the next game to be as fresh as possible in terms of gameplay, but following the formula they successfully established with the origin trilogy.

It’s exciting to think about what Lara will do next now that her parental drama is out of the picture and she wants to raid tombs for fun.

JoelCaesar 25-10-18 01:23

Ahhh Legends your life will be preserved in history now on TRF as you have made a general chat!

charmedangelin 25-10-18 01:27

Quote:

Indeed it is, I miss Tomb Raider and hope it returns. Especially with a more classic Lara. It can be set in the reboot universe if they want it to, but Lara needs to be classic in her looks and her personality.

We may also get another Lara Croft game so if nothing else there is that to perhaps get excited about. The Lara Croft series has been phenomenal so far.

Legends 25-10-18 01:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by charmedangelin (Post 8004487)
Indeed it is, I miss Tomb Raider and hope it returns. Especially with a more classic Lara. It can be set in the reboot universe if they want it to, but Lara needs to be classic in her looks and her personality.

We may also get another Lara Croft game so if nothing else there is that to perhaps get excited about. The Lara Croft series has been phenomenal so far.

Yeah, me too. Classic Lara needs to return with the dual guns, her sassy personality and her signature look. Ditch the reboot universe too. There's no need for it. I'd rather take a fantasy universe with dinosaurs and dragons over the fake realness of the reboot. It's the perfect time for it now.

trfan16 25-10-18 01:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by iWANEX (Post 8004477)
I can’t wait to see how they’ll keep evolving the reboot era. So many things they can explore and bring to the table. Hopefully things we have never seen in previous installments. I want the next game to be as fresh as possible in terms of gameplay, but following the formula they successfully established with the origin trilogy.

It’s exciting to think about what Lara will do next now that her parental drama is out of the picture and she wants to raid tombs for fun.

Same here. I don't mind if they keep Reboot Lara and move up in the timeline. They can focus on a more mature Lara that closely resembles Classic Lara. This would also be a good time to change some of the gameplay mechanics too. Bring back some more of the Classic elements like acrobatics, globetrotting, and supernatural enemies.

larafan25 25-10-18 01:56

Crystak (or whoever is now in charge) needs to #come out and just give us something different. Period! But I don
t think iyt's Crystal... probably another studio.

annacroft 26-10-18 19:48

I'm totally expecting a giant hiatus after the release of all the DLC's, and for a different studio (probably Crystal themselves) to take the next game on. I honestly feel like the next game will be a launch title for the PS5/XB2 and soon after they will release a trilogy remaster for TR2013/ROTTR/SOTTR for next gen consoles and definitive edition for PC too of course. My dream would be for Lara to go to Paris or somewhere with backstreets where she is trying to solve something (okay, pretty much like AOD) but she finds tombs hidden there or something. I feel like the next game we will see a more classic Lara.

Portugalraider 26-10-18 19:58

Quote:

Tomb Raider came back in 2015 with RotTR. :whi::whi::whi:

New Dwight 27-10-18 04:01

This forum is corrupted by the reboot.

Fantasy 27-10-18 07:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by New Dwight (Post 8005538)

I’d say it was corrupted by the constant arguments, insults and trolling.

New Dwight 27-10-18 07:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fantasy (Post 8005549)

to which you choose to engage in.

Maverin 27-10-18 10:01

In my opinion, Tomb Raider never left. It was a different experience, I'll agree on that, but it was necessary and still worthy of the name Tomb Raider. Lara never stopped analysing tombs and scripts, documents and artifacts and she always had an interest in different cultures. The reboot was just a more realistic approach of the same concept really.

Although I still don't get why they refuse to include one outfit with shorts and a backpack with a ponytail. It would be a simple way of paying homage to the classics and it would please so many fans, while at the same time I can't see it interfering or hurting their own version of Lara.

Legends 27-10-18 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Portugalraider (Post 8005347)
Tomb Raider came back in 2015 with RotTR. :whi::whi::whi:

Hm. Why Rise? I'd argue Shadow is the most Tomb Raidery of the reboot games.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverin (Post 8005567)
In my opinion, Tomb Raider never left. It was a different experience, I'll agree on that, but it was necessary and still worthy of the name Tomb Raider. Lara never stopped analysing tombs and scripts, documents and artifacts and she always had an interest in different cultures. The reboot was just a more realistic approach of the same concept really.

Although I still don't get why they refuse to include one outfit with shorts and a backpack with a ponytail. It would be a simple way of paying homage to the classics and it would please so many fans, while at the same time I can't see it interfering or hurting their own version of Lara.

It surly was a different experience. The backpack being left out is strange. At least in Rise and Shadow. I wonder if they will redesign everything, or if they will keep some of the current structure.

Grimaldi 27-10-18 14:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverin (Post 8005567)

Well said. I actually felt the reboot had more of an “archaeological” feel than the past games in how Lara analyses and relays information, the realism lending itself towards more accuracy, the relic system, and stuff like that. Past games did a much better job on the grand “adventure” vibe which I was happy to see return slightly in Shadow.

If they could salvage the care put into the sense of history in the reboot games and combine it with a Lara that was evocative of LAU, clearly invested in the knowledge but also sport of her adventures, with less realistic and more fantastical environments, and more creative and blatant supernatural elements, I’d be quite happy.

Portugalraider 27-10-18 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legends (Post 8005617)
Hm. Why Rise? I'd argue Shadow is the most Tomb Raidery of the reboot games.

Personally I feel that RotTR was already a proper Tomb Raider game, though Shadow does seem to be the most Tomb Raider-y of the three.

Yeauxleaux 27-10-18 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by New Dwight (Post 8005538)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fantasy (Post 8005549)

Quote:

Originally Posted by New Dwight (Post 8005551)
to which you choose to engage in.

Oh-em-gee!!!

Anyway I want the reboot era to be over and for that Lara to be off on her merry way. I don't care. I want either a re-reboot or a soft-return to an older version of the character that doesn't suck and isn't lame. Something closer resembling Lara as she was please.

#ByeLaura

Jamise_Croft 27-10-18 16:37

I love the reboot but this franchise need the classic Lara back :)

NoahCrofRaider 27-10-18 16:43

I do think could get a healthy mixture of old and new without rebooting again. Reboot Lara could definitely own classic Lara’s sass, sarcasm, and wit without seeming out of place, and I think some better posture or grace with her movements isn’t too much either. But she definitely couldn’t be more flirty or seductive/sexy like classic Lara. I don’t think that will work no matter how you slice it, given how reboot Lara is much more introverted and sometimes awkward.

Personally, I think giving us a Lara more similar to how she was written in the comics is the first step. From all I’ve seen and know, she’s closer to classic Lara in those, even though there would still need to be some changes.

Portugalraider 27-10-18 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoahCrofRaider (Post 8005674)
Personally, I think giving us a Lara more similar to how she was written in the comics is the first step. From all I’ve seen and know, she’s closer to classic Lara in those, even though there would still need to be some changes.

Thank you!

She is indeed closer to classic Lara, while still feeling true to her reboot self in the comics, even when they were written by Rhianna Pratchett. Especially in the post-RotTR and pre-SotTR comics.

Honestly, I think it shows that the problem is not the character, but the tone of the games: the comics can still be dark, but they are not afraid to get more light-hearted as well, and as such they are able to show both sides of reboot Lara Croft. Just shows that perhaps the games should opt for that more balanced yet well contrasted tone the comics have.

Athukraz 27-10-18 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamise_Croft (Post 8005669)
I love the reboot but this franchise need the classic Lara back :)

Yes. Same universe as the reboot but make Lara into Lara already. She had enough time to become her, THREE games when it should have been one.

Yeauxleaux 27-10-18 21:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Athukraz (Post 8005791)
Yes. Same universe as the reboot but make Lara into Lara already. She had enough time to become her, THREE games when it should have been one.

I shamelessly and openly want a personality transplant for this Lara at this point.

Athukraz 27-10-18 21:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux (Post 8005803)
I shamelessly and openly want a personality transplant for this Lara at this point.

I don't think anyone would mind this if it happened tbh

Yeauxleaux 27-10-18 21:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Athukraz (Post 8005805)

Idk, some definitely would, for reasons beyond my comprehension but still.

Athukraz 27-10-18 21:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux (Post 8005807)

The sudden change in her personality can be justified with the trilogy's end and her 'becoming the tomb raider' though

Yeauxleaux 27-10-18 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Athukraz (Post 8005808)
The sudden change in her personality can be justified with the trilogy's end and her 'becoming the tomb raider' though

I agree and it really should have done already. I don't think the personality change had to be sudden, mind you, but as I've said before the goal should always have been to grow this Lara into a recogniseable take on Lara. We have not yet seen this as of Shadow.

At this point though I'm just unapologetically bored of this lame as **** Lara though and I want her gone.

Lyle Croft 27-10-18 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux (Post 8005803)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Athukraz (Post 8005805)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Athukraz (Post 8005808)

We can have her hit on the head, or possessed by some entity.

Athukraz 27-10-18 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux (Post 8005809)
I agree and it really should have done already. I don't think the personality change had to be sudden, mind you, but as I've said before the goal should always have been to grow this Lara into a recogniseable take on Lara. We have not yet seen this as of Shadow.

At this point though I'm just unapologetically bored of this lame as **** Lara though and I want her gone.

Sadly the DLCs don't seem to use the opportunity to fix this and give her proper outfits and instead they cover her body completely. Lara (reboot or classic) would never wear this type of clothes. All the military and tribal outfits they give us aren't even canon. Something similar to the classic outfits could be considered canon since she became the tomb raider and all of that

NoahCrofRaider 27-10-18 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux (Post 8005807)

I feel two ways about this. One being, “oh my gosh! This is not reboot Lara! The developers don’t even know what they want to do. They should stay true to reboot Lara and not listen to fans because we’re so divided”.

The other being I simply don’t care about or mind a personality transplant because I love all versions of her and I really couldn’t give a flying crap after all the nonsense of them seemingly not knowing what they want to do with the character or franchise.

SunDormant 27-10-18 21:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lyle Croft (Post 8005810)
We can have her hit on the head, or possessed by some entity.

I always had this idea that if Himiko were to possess Lara at the end of TR2013, some strange fusion could have happened and she would be like Classic Lara again, all rebellious, solitary and intimidating.

She would then distance herself from everyone and be after Trinity as they would want the powers of Himiko's soul she holds within her, though she is not able to use them herself.

Or something like that :p

Yeauxleaux 27-10-18 21:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Athukraz (Post 8005811)
Sadly the DLCs don't seem to use the opportunity to fix this and give her proper outfits and instead they cover her body completely. Lara (reboot or classic) would never wear this type of clothes. All the military and tribal outfits they give us aren't even canon. Something similar to the classic outfits could be considered canon since she became the tomb raider and all of that

Yeah I agree, although I don't want to reduce it down to her outfits and looks as usual. It's part of the problem, but I definitely agree with anyone who says that merely putting her in classic Lara's clothes won't suddenly make her Lara.

Athukraz 27-10-18 21:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux (Post 8005816)
Yeah I agree, although I don't want to reduce it down to her outfits and looks as usual. It's part of the problem, but I definitely agree with anyone who says that merely putting her in classic Lara's clothes won't suddenly make her Lara.

True but one step at a time I guess. She still feels far away from classic Lara even after 3 games fkmlfmlf

Horus-Goddess 27-10-18 22:38

I still wish that some company would buy TR from SE or something. Not that SE would be likely to let go of it regardless of the sum offered.

They don't seem to give a crap about TR, and I think CD at this point are probably just as if not more burned out than Core was regarding it.

I want to see a team who's actually passionate about TR take over the development... Right now the devs that have been working on it since the Reboot don't seem to have a clue about where they're going with it...

I just want TR back at this point. I've endured three games of nonsense that didn't feel up to par to me. The people who love it have had their games... I want something that drew me to this franchise in the first place, back again. Not some watered down Hollywood bull****.

But I don't think that'll happen for a while given the state of Western game development right now. Maybe in another ten years, if TR manages to stay alive that long.

Samz 27-10-18 22:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horus-Goddess (Post 8005843)
I still wish that some company would buy TR from SE or something. Not that SE would be likely to let go of it regardless of the sum offered.

They don't seem to give a crap about TR, and I think CD at this point are probably just as if not more burned out than Core was regarding it.

I want to see a team who's actually passionate about TR take over the development... Right now the devs that have been working on it since the Reboot don't seem to have a clue about where they're going with it...

I just want TR back at this point. I've endured three games of nonsense that didn't feel up to par to me. The people who love it have had their games... I want something that drew me to this franchise in the first place, back again. Not some watered down Hollywood bull****.

But I don't think that'll happen for a while given the state of Western game development right now. Maybe in another ten years, if TR manages to stay alive that long.

My thoughts exactly.

I don't want holly-wood action movies that get slightly more like TR each instalment, I want an actual TR game.

Legends 28-10-18 00:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux (Post 8005667)
Anyway I want the reboot era to be over and for that Lara to be off on her merry way. I don't care. I want either a re-reboot or a soft-return to an older version of the character that doesn't suck and isn't lame. Something closer resembling Lara as she was please.

#ByeLaura

*Bye bye Laura.* :wve:

I'm so curious about the future of the franchise. Who knows how long it'll be until we get another game, so hopefully they will reevaluate everything and actually change things for the better. Dragging Laura along is exactly what not to do. We need Lara back. I keep looking at all these other popular games and wonder what Tomb Raider could have been if they weren't stuck in bad-decision-making-ville.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horus-Goddess (Post 8005843)

As usual, I agree with you. How about just a game instead of an interactive movie? That's a concept they can't seem to shake. It's so strange that they insist on making a Hollywoody game, but they lack all the skills to pull it off. The writing, acting and storyline needs to be pretty damn good for it to even work, and that's one of the reboot absolute weakest parts even though the entire focus is on the narrative. It's like they set themselves up for failure when they design the game like that.

Almost more than anything, I just want them to make a game again and not this cinematic movie crap.

Horus-Goddess 28-10-18 00:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legends (Post 8005888)
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=4][COLOR=#003F7E][I]As usual, I agree with you. How about just a game instead of an interactive movie? That's a concept they can't seem to shake. It's so strange that they insist on making a Hollywoody game, but they lack all the skills to pull it off. The writing, acting and storyline needs to be pretty damn good for it to even work, and that's one of the reboot absolute weakest parts even though the entire focus is on the narrative. It's like they set themselves up for failure when they design the game like that.

Almost more than anything, I just want them to make a game again and not this cinematic movie crap.

Yeah that's true... it's like they highlighted their weaknesses and downplayed their strengths just for the sake of following trends... Kind of stupid really.

I agree with your other points too. I would like TR to just be a game again. I'm not really into games with a heavily cinematic style of gameplay.

FanosCroft 28-10-18 11:48

When this section was made?

CroftManiac05 28-10-18 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux (Post 8005667)

#ByeLaura

Same. Reboot Lara has served her purpose in the series. She was introduced to tell us an origin story. She did, now bye...

I don't understand why devs want to continue with Reboot Lara.
It was nice in the start, but now she is like one of those farts that won't go away...

Portugalraider 28-10-18 12:41

Because Reboot Lara can be a really interesting character that truly feels like a modern Lara Croft when writers are not forced to write her in always-serious situations.

I don't have that much of a problem with her character in the games (okay, I do in TReboot), but, and I can't say this enough, read the comics! She is much better written and interesting in those, even when written by Rhianna Pratchett, and especially in the post-RotTR comics. If she was allowed to be like her comics-self, I bet many of you wouldn't have a problem with the character