Tomb Raider Forums

Tomb Raider Forums (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider The Angel of Darkness (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The best settings for Tomb Raider The Angel of Darkness. (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=220813)

Pyro99 04-08-18 11:07

lmao my dumbass saw the title and thought you meant settings as in the deleted Germany levels etc

Maverin 05-08-18 11:14

[QUOTE=ANoDE;7942084]I'd at least have a look at the "Interface & Items" patch from TRJTA ([URL]http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=204174[/URL]). It really pimps the main menu interface and doesn't need anything external :)[/QUOTE]

Updated. Thanks :tmb:

ANoDE 10-08-18 20:55

[QUOTE=Maverin;7939942][*][SIZE=2][COLOR=royalblue]Render type:[/COLOR] select fixed hardware. This one caused less flickering than shader hardware. Examples of this flickering can be seen on the cabinet in Francine's apartment or on the glass boxes inside the Louvre.
[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

I just noticed you updated your guide with this new setting. I'd advise against using "fixed function" hardware, as this will implicitely disable most of the advanced effects (like reflections, etc.), as these are implemented using shaders. I haven't found a way to get rid of the flickering yet, though.

kietasvyras 11-08-18 12:31

Some comparison screenshots of the game with different settings selected in 'Step 11: getting the settings right' would certainly make things clearer. For example, how does the colour depth affects graphics in the game?

nakamichi680 11-08-18 14:06

^ the colour depth is important for the size of your color palette and for preventing color banding. With 16 bit of resolution you have 65536 colors, with 32 bit you have 16.7 million colors.

[QUOTE=ANoDE;7946877]I just noticed you updated your guide with this new setting. I'd advise against using "fixed function" hardware, as this will implicitely disable most of the advanced effects (like reflections, etc.), as these are implemented using shaders. I haven't found a way to get rid of the flickering yet, though.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Using fixed function hardware means:
- NO bump mapping
- NO reflections
- NO specular map
- NO glow
- NO high quality water

And I'm not 100% sure but you'll probably miss fog and heat haze effect too.

red_lion 11-08-18 18:05

[QUOTE]Multi sampling: select 8 samples(1)(1)[/QUOTE]
Multi sampling makes my Lara go slow. So I put there None[1][1]. What is multi sampling?

SLAYER 11-08-18 18:53

^It's anti-aliasing.

nakamichi680 11-08-18 19:25

[QUOTE=red_lion;7947542]Multi sampling makes my Lara go slow. So I put there None[1][1]. What is multi sampling?[/QUOTE]

What gpu do you have? If the game slows down it means the gpu can't handle 8x multi sampling anti aliasing.

Maverin 11-08-18 20:03

[QUOTE=ANoDE;7946877]I just noticed you updated your guide with this new setting. I'd advise against using "fixed function" hardware, as this will implicitely disable most of the advanced effects (like reflections, etc.), as these are implemented using shaders. I haven't found a way to get rid of the flickering yet, though.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=nakamichi680;7947326]

I agree. Using fixed function hardware means:
- NO bump mapping
- NO reflections
- NO specular map
- NO glow
- NO high quality water
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for pointing this out. I'll update the guide with some better explanation.

EDIT: updated!

[QUOTE=red_lion;7947542]Multi sampling makes my Lara go slow. So I put there None[1][1]. What is multi sampling?[/QUOTE]

Apparently your system lacks power to render everything in 60fps[I]. [/I]You're probably running on an older PC or a laptop. Turning it off will result in greater performance but in exchange for a more rugged look on all the objects, buildings,... Personally, I advise turning down the graphics until you reach a smooth 60 fps.

red_lion 11-08-18 20:09

[QUOTE=nakamichi680;7947622]What gpu do you have? If the game slows down it means the gpu can't handle 8x multi sampling anti aliasing.[/QUOTE]

With gpu you mean the graphic card?

It is a Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600.

I get a 40 till 60 fps.

EDIT: problem solved. My Render Type was at Hardware / Hardware shader and not software. Software with 8 samples does the trick.