Tomb Raider Forums

Tomb Raider Forums (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider (Crystal Dynamics' version) (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   TOMB RAIDER General Discussion Thread (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=187894)

TippingWater 07-01-13 15:43

Linoshi you are right! The only gameplay department in which TLoU seems to be more complex is the item management/inventory, otherwise it is pretty linear. Sure it is cinematic and gorgeous (I mean it's made by Naughty Dog, so what what else could you expect?) but it is not as open as Tomb Raider. Of course the game could turn out to be a huge surprise and feature big environments, but I doubt it, of course this also could be said about Tomb Raider. To be honest none of the two games are too convincing in the open-environment department, based on what they have shown so far.

anotherAODfan 07-01-13 15:45

I just want the game to release already , not because I want to play it but to end all these arguments for good.

Once the game releases , its worth will be crystal clear . I will comfortably sit on the fence until then . Though I like (not love) what I see so far :o

LNSNHGTDS 07-01-13 15:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by anotherAODfan (Post 6593695)
I just want the game to release already , not because I want to play it but to end all these arguments for good.

Once the game releases , its worth will be crystal clear . I will comfortably sit on the fence until then . Though I like (not love) what I see so far :o

Trust me, good nitpickers will find something to brag about. And unfortunately tehre are many in this forum...

Dark_Messiah 07-01-13 15:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linoshi Croft (Post 6593685)
@Dark_Messiah

The whole discussion was over the games being more of a movie than a game...you instantly saying...They are both 3RD Person Cinematic AA games. That was your argument about them being just as much as movies as eachother.

I was saying it's silly as that is not enough to say it is more like a movie, as I said how the game is executed is what's important. I don't know what you think we were talking about but spanning from my original point this was all about them being movie like nothing else.

You seem to think that just because a game is cinematic means it more like a movie, yes that is also important. However, breaking down TR and TLOU their execution both makes them different and either more movie like or not which I believe the TLOU is very movie like.

Yes, the discussion was indeed about them being more of a movie than a game. And yup, I brought up that they are are both Cinematic AA games. I think we both got quite different opinions on what cinematic means, which is fine I guess.

I don't think that just because a game is cinematic its more like a movie. If I say Cinematic I am talking about the presentation of a game, not actual gameplay elements. There could be complex cinematic simulators etc.

Of course TLoU does not have stuff like platforming or puzzle solving because its a straight 3rd person shooter, and even though the presentation of the game is very cinematic (many cutcenes from what ive seen etc) I still wouldn't say its more of a movie than TR just because its different (or maybe even simpler).

Because if you use that "the game has less features etc" argument or something similar like you did in your post breaking the games down, would that mean that games like minesweeper (to take an extreme example) are alot more like a movie than Tomb Raider? I think not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TippingWater (Post 6593692)
To be honest none of the two games are too convincing in the open-environment department, based on what they have shown so far.


Indeed. In the classic Tomb Raider games, almost all of the areas were as big as their so called "Hub Areas" now lol (or at least the ones they showed already) And they werent open world, or semi-open games

Linoshi Croft 07-01-13 15:51

What does TLOU offer in gameplay? I'm saying it's more of a movie not because it has less gameplay but it has less gameplay and nothing more to offer than cimematics and plot and no real depth in its gameplay. So, the minesweeper comment is just ridiculous and I don't think you even tried to understand where I'm coming from or tried to be logical about it...

MAIN POINT!

it's more of a movie not because it has less gameplay but it has less gameplay and nothing more to offer than cimematics and plot and no real depth in its gameplay.

Get it? It offers nothing more than a movie and very little in the thing that makes it A GAME.

Phlip 07-01-13 15:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by LNSNHGTDS (Post 6593696)
Trust me, good nitpickers will find something to brag about. And unfortunately tehre are many in this forum...

Or some of us just won't think the game is completely perfect and therefore point out those things.

just*raidin*tomb 07-01-13 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linoshi Croft (Post 6593701)
What does TLOU offer in gameplay? I'm saying it's more of a movie not because it has less gameplay but it has less gameplay and nothing more to offer than cimematics and plot and no real depth in its gameplay. So, the minesweeper comment is just ridiculous and I don't think you even tried to understand where I'm coming from or tried to be logical about it...

MAIN POINT!

it's more of a movie not because it has less gameplay but it has less gameplay and nothing more to offer than cimematics and plot and no real depth in its gameplay.

Get it? It offers nothing more than a movie and very little in the thing that makes it A GAME.

In my opinion, TLOU offers more than just story. Especially if resources are actually scarce and you combine resources. The combat seems really up close and intense. The AI seems absolutely amazing and the way in which you seem to have such a scarcity of bullets and you have to take advantage of items like wooden posts/bricks/etc is really interesting to me if they do it right. Not to mention getting shot even once takes a ton of your health away. It reminds me of a much more high quality I Am Alive game, and trust me when I saw that game is absolutely fantastic. One of the best downloadable games I have ever had the pleasure of playing. It's like I Am Alive meets Zombies with The Road (an amazing novel) twist to it.

That intensity combined the the graphic and realistic way in which it is presented, with its very serious tone and drama has potential to be a really exciting game and especially in regards to other "zombie" games. The killing is absolutely brutal and not in a "I'm badass" kind of way. But in a more "I'm so sorry" kind of way. Seeing the look on that guys face before he got shot in the face with a shotgun was... very unsettling. I just find the whole concept to be an interesting and fresh twist on the zombie genre. Obviously its going to be dramatic and story heavy. But I don't care. That's what I've come to expect and love from Naughty Dog now. It appeals to me anyway.

Linoshi Croft 07-01-13 16:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by just*raidin*tomb (Post 6593710)
In my opinion, TLOU offers more than just story. Especially if resources are actually scarce and you combine resources. The combat seems really up close and intense. The AI seems absolutely amazing and the way in which you seem to have such a scarcity of bullets and you have to take advantage of items like wooden posts/bricks/etc is really interesting to me if they do it right. Not to mention getting shot even once takes a ton of your health away.

That intensity combined the the graphic and realistic way in which it is presented, with its very serious tone and drama has potential to be a really exciting game and especially in regards to other "zombie" games. The killing is absolutely brutal and not in a way "I'm badass" kind of way. But in a more "I'm so sorry" kind of way. Seeing the look on that guys face before he got shot in the face with a shotgun was... very unsettling. I just find the whole concept to be an interesting and fresh twist on the zombie genre. Obviously its going to be dramatic and story heavy. But I don't care. That's what I've come to expect and love from Naughty Dog now.

I'm not saying it has no gameplay at all, but from what I've seen it offers little more to excite me. The micro-managment thing is the only other thing I've seen that could be interesting. I mean, the combat didn't really excite me that much...It's nothing I've not seen before and it looked beyond heavily scripted. They say its not yet, they've shown the same scene played the same way atleast 3 times....probably way more, what they've shown so far...is a puzzle, which is to find a way up and them walking slowly through buildings talking...and some combat ( which does look good don't get me wrong) and some more cutscenes...I just think out of all things they could sell their game much better than they are as anything they are saying at the moment seems the opposite in what is being presented to me. Same could go for Tombraider in that...

I'm just not so easily sold on games anymore, most come out and let me down massively recently.

just*raidin*tomb 07-01-13 16:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linoshi Croft (Post 6593715)
I'm not saying it has no gameplay at all, but from what I've seen it offers little more to excite me. The micro-managment thing is the only other thing I've seen that could be interesting. I mean, the combat didn't really excite me that much...It's nothing I've not seen before and it looked beyond heavily scripted. They say its not yet, they've shown the same scene played the same way atleast 3 times....probably way more, what they've shown so far...is a puzzle, which is to find a way up and them walking slowly through buildings talking...and some combat ( which does look good don't get me wrong) and some more cutscenes...I just think out of all things they could sell their game much better than they are as anything they are saying at the moment seems the opposite in what is being presented to me. Same could go for Tombraider in that...

I'm just not so easily sold on games anymore, most come out and let me down massively recently.

Fair enough. Finding a ladder and putting it in place isn't exactly the most exciting or revolutionary game mechanic. :p

But they've showed one bit of gameplay twice, and they actually played out pretty differently. It was in a sort of hotel area and it wasn't nearly as linear as it appeared to be the first time they showed gameplay. At least in my opinion.

But tbh. It doesn't take a ton to get me excited about a game. If a game has me emotionally invested in some way and still manages to be fun and rewarding, I'll love it probably. :p

Though, tbh I've been let down by a ton of games recently too. ACIII and Dishonored just to name a couple. Eh. :/

Linoshi Croft 07-01-13 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by just*raidin*tomb (Post 6593725)
Fair enough. Finding a ladder and putting it in place isn't exactly the most exciting or revolutionary game mechanic. :p

But they've showed one bit of gameplay twice, and they actually played out pretty differently. It was in a sort of hotel area and it wasn't nearly as linear as it appeared to be the first time they showed gameplay. At least in my opinion.

But tbh. It doesn't take a ton to get me excited about a game. If a game has me emotionally invested in some way and still manages to be fun and rewarding, I'll love it probably. :p

Though, tbh I've been let down by a ton of games recently too. ACIII and Dishonored just to name a couple. Eh. :/

Not for me anyway. :p

You have a point but I'm still not convinced it all looks like smoke and mirrors to me. Plus, AI in a lot of games isn't always predictable and tries to be intelligent but I will say the TLOU does do it very well. Better than some games out there..(AC series, looking at you :pi: )

See? I wish I was still like that. I was so invested in plots and getting connected it seemed all I needed to get into a game. Yet, now I've changed for some reason I still want that plot but I want interesting gameplay to back it up. I don't see why we can't have both. It bothers me, it's always one or the other or none at all. :p

I was let down by those two too :( I can't stand hearing anything about dishonored I don't think it deserves all the attention at all, I think it's awful. :o

Dark_Messiah 07-01-13 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linoshi Croft (Post 6593701)
MAIN POINT!

it's more of a movie not because it has less gameplay but it has less gameplay and nothing more to offer than cimematics and plot and no real depth in its gameplay.

Get it? It offers nothing more than a movie and very little in the thing that makes it A GAME.

Really? :rolleyes:
The Minesweeper thing wasnt even close to being ridiculous looking at your "Main Point" here.

What about all those mobile games? They dont have much depth in gameplay, and they also dont have anything to offer that make them "A Game" if we follow your definition ( that games that have no depth in the gameplay e.g nothing more to offer than a movie are more of a movie.).

Whatever, TLoU is more of a movie in your opinion, in mine its not. Totaly fine. I really dont want to continue discussing, the fact that english isnt my first language is really limiting my expression powers if we go in depth into something like that. :o#

Quote:

Originally Posted by just*raidin*tomb (Post 6593725)
But tbh. It doesn't take a ton to get me excited about a game. If a game has me emotionally invested in some way and still manages to be fun and rewarding, I'll love it probably. :p

Same. Kinda. For me, Story is more important than Gameplay for some reason. Thats probably why I am such a big Assassins Creed fanboy.. I only enjoy the games due to the story they offer.. lol. Because if I would play them for the gameplay, I could play AC2. Almost nothing changed to AC3.

And sigh, the Story of AC3 was horrible so it was a big let down :\

Linoshi Croft 07-01-13 16:17

Dark_Messiah you're failing to even try to grasp my point, atleast just*raidin*tomb tried to see where I was coming from...You are using examples of games that are designed to be simplistic. Plus, games that don't even offer a plot. Your argument is pedantic and silly.

So, I'm honestly not even going to discuss it with you anymore as you're being very stubborn and just...yeah. I'd rather agree to disagree than take out a discussion that is going nowhere. :)

Dark_Messiah 07-01-13 16:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linoshi Croft (Post 6593735)
Dark_Messiah you're failing to even try to grasp my point, atleast just*raidin*tomb tried to see where I was coming from...You are using examples of games that are designed to be simplistic. Plus, games that don't even offer a plot.

So, I'm honestly not even going to discuss it with you anymore as you're being very stubborn and just...yeah.

I got your point. But you obviously didnt get mine due to various reasons I won't try to explain because we'll end up starting the discussion all over again.

But shame on me for not being able to write pages of in depth analysis about TLoU and instead using much simpler examples. And of course I am stubborn for not being able to write a text like just*raidin*tomb due to limited language skills.

Really? Thats bull****.

I am done with that discussion.

Linoshi Croft 07-01-13 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark_Messiah (Post 6593739)
I got your point. But you obviously didnt get mine due to various reasons.

But shame on me for not being able to write pages of in depth analysis about TLoU and instead using much simpler examples.

But yes, of course I am stubborn for not being able to write something like just*raidin*tomb due to limited english skills.

Really? Thats bull****.

I am done here.

When did I even say it had anything to do with your English? Mobile games are designed to be SIMPLE on the go, lack plot. Why? because they don't need it and are not designed for that purpose. AAA titles are designed to give plot and much more extensive gameplay...

I'm understanding you fine, you explanation are fine. The examples you are using are padantic and silly not how you're expressing them. Don't be so sensitive. :p <3

Minesweeper is a game with no plot, and little gameplay. That does not make it a movie! As to be anything like a movie you'd need a freaking plot :p So that is why its pandantic as I said the plot was the main point of TLOU and it's gameplay is simplified. Again its more like a movie not because it lacks in gameplay, its because its bigged up on plot on character and has simplifed gameplay. Which you fail to grasp after 3 times explaining it...So, no you're not understanding AT ALL.

Dark_Messiah 07-01-13 16:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linoshi Croft (Post 6593747)
main point of TLOU and it's gameplay is simplified. Again its more like a movie not because it lacks in gameplay, its because its bigged up on plot on character and has simplifed gameplay. Which you fail to grasp after 3 times explaining it...So, no you're not understanding AT ALL.

Its still a damn game for me and nothing like a movie. And of course, I got YOUR OPINION. But yours is not mine. We both got a whole different idea of what a game and what a movie is - and/or a movie like game.
For me, even Dear Esther was a fricking game even though everyone said its a movie or a "press W simulator" and for you their not. (Or I can imagine it was not)

Whatever, You won. Discussing is quite pointless at this stage, I cant to anything more than accepting your opinion and (poorly) defending mine.

LNSNHGTDS 07-01-13 16:37

You're still talking about The Last of Us?

*leaves*

Linoshi Croft 07-01-13 16:37

Yes, and you added nicely to this thread with that post too. :p

@Dark
You can not win a discussion. Like you said you think what you think and I think what I think.

I'm sorry if I upset you but using minesweeper as an argument has no logic. If you understood what I meant you'd of never of used it. :o It has no plot and no cinematics. It's further from a movie than TLOU. :p

On Dear Esther I just call it quits and call it an...experience. I liked the game though.

Dark_Messiah 07-01-13 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linoshi Croft (Post 6593766)
I'm sorry if I upset you but using minesweeper as an argument has no logic.If you understood what I meant you'd of never of used it. :o It has no plot and no cinematics. It's further from a movie than TLOU. :p

Whatever, i got it now at least. (Believe me or not)

Let's stop discussing.
We are always having discussions about pointless **** , like the MP mode, TR vs Uncharted, and now this. - thats not good. I don't want to make myself enemies on here due to endless arguments. :hug:

Quote:

Originally Posted by LNSNHGTDS (Post 6593764)
You're still talking about The Last of Us?

*leaves*

*Slow Clap*
You made this thread so much better with that post :tmb: How about you contribute a new topic then? Instead of posting spam like that..? ;)

SpyrosMonster 07-01-13 16:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark_Messiah (Post 6593781)
*Slow Clap*
You made this thread so much better with that post :tmb: How about you contribute a new topic then? Instead of posting spam like that..? ;)

Your response wasn't better though. :rolleyes:

Can we get back on topic please?

Dark_Messiah 07-01-13 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpyrosMonster (Post 6593782)
Your response wasn't better though. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpyrosMonster (Post 6593782)
Can we get back on topic please?

We were never really off topic, we were just discussing how much of a movie Tomb Raider is in comparison to other games. Which is a fitting topic for a 'Tomb Raider General Discussion' Thread ;)

Anyways, New topic then:

Any news about TR from CES yet? Because it should be open by now (seeing as nVidia already presented their SHIELD handheld on CES)

Linoshi Croft 07-01-13 16:52

I hope Tombraider gets reviewed as good as DmC is doing, I'd be happy with 89% or above. So basically, 9's :pi:

SpyrosMonster 07-01-13 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark_Messiah (Post 6593784)
:rolleyes:

I could of said AGAIN the same for you but I won't because I don't want to play with you. :D


Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark_Messiah (Post 6593784)
We were never really off topic, we were just discussing how much of a movie Tomb Raider is in comparison to other games. Which is a fitting topic for a 'Tomb Raider General Discussion' Thread ;)

You were discussing about The Last Of Us at least that's what I saw in the last page. Sorry if that wasn't the case. :o

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark_Messiah (Post 6593784)
Anyways, New topic then:

Any news about TR from CES yet? Because it should be open by now (seeing as nVidia already presented their SHIELD handheld on CES)

No news yet. I'm sure a member here will create a thread about it. :)

Carbonek_0051 07-01-13 17:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linoshi Croft (Post 6593787)
I hope Tombraider gets reviewed as good as DmC is doing, I'd be happy with 89% or above. So basically, 9's :pi:

Same. DmC is proving that reboots can mean wonderful things for a franchise despite the fan skepticism. :D

LNSNHGTDS 07-01-13 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark_Messiah (Post 6593781)
*Slow Clap*
You made this thread so much better with that post :tmb: How about you contribute a new topic then? Instead of posting spam like that..? ;)

Says the person who started the off topic argument about whether The Last of Us is playing like a movie or not :rolleyes: ...

Anyway, since you asked about a new topic... but remember, you asked for it!

Bring back the bikinis in Tomb Raider

Dark_Messiah 07-01-13 17:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by LNSNHGTDS (Post 6593848)
Says the person who started the off topic argument about whether The Last of Us is playing like a movie or not :rolleyes: ...

It was not off topic. The argument was always about how much of a movie TLoU is in comparison to TR and why TLoU is more of a movie than TR. Fitting for a TR General Discussions Thread. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by LNSNHGTDS (Post 6593848)
Bring back the bikinis in Tomb Raider


Why not? Square Enix also released a bikini DLC for FF 13-2.. I almost feel it'll happen in TR too :p

SpyrosMonster 07-01-13 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark_Messiah (Post 6593853)
Why not? Square Enix also released a bikini DLC for FF 13-2.. I almost feel it'll happen in TR too :p

I hope you are not serious... :p

Dark_Messiah 07-01-13 17:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpyrosMonster (Post 6593856)
I hope you are not serious... :p

The first thing, yes I am serious. They really did that.

The second.. No, not serious at all :) That would be.. No. They CAN'T bring the bikinis back. That would not fit into the game at all haha

SpyrosMonster 07-01-13 17:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark_Messiah (Post 6593860)
They CAN'T bring the bikinis back. That would not fit into the game at all haha

Thank God. :p

[Xmas] 07-01-13 17:56

Feel free to bump this gem, gurls: Bikinis: They are more than what you think

LNSNHGTDS 07-01-13 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by [Xmas] (Post 6593879)
Feel free to bump this gem, gurls: Bikinis: They are more than what you think

You're awesome.

That was my favourite thread ever :p !

SpyrosMonster 07-01-13 17:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by [Xmas] (Post 6593879)
Feel free to bump this gem, gurls: Bikinis: They are more than what you think

Why am I not surprised?...

[Xmas] 07-01-13 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by LNSNHGTDS (Post 6593881)
You're awesome.

That was my favourite thread ever :p !

Thank you :p

It's the best thread I've ever had the privilege to create and share <333
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpyrosMonster (Post 6593885)
Why am I not surprised?...

It's true. Bikinis need to find their way into the new TR no matter what :pi:

SpyrosMonster 07-01-13 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by [Xmas] (Post 6593886)
It's true. Bikinis need to find their way into the new TR no matter what :pi:

Well I think It's somehow impossible if you consider that Lara is shipwrecked into a an island that from day one is FREEZING and there are snow levels and stuff... :p

LNSNHGTDS 07-01-13 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpyrosMonster (Post 6593890)
Well I think It's somehow impossible if you consider that Lara is shipwrecked into a an island that from day one is FREEZING and there are snow levels and stuff... :p

She's British, she can handle rain and cold :p .

SpyrosMonster 07-01-13 18:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by LNSNHGTDS (Post 6593891)
Techicalities

She's British, she can handle rain and cold :p .

Lara is sensitive... :p

[Xmas] 07-01-13 18:05

Playing in bikinis would be a whole another experience... :cln:

Let's call it the British skin! Exclusive skin that comes with the full game if you preorder it during rainy and cold weather :D

LNSNHGTDS 07-01-13 18:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpyrosMonster (Post 6593895)
Lara is sensitive... :p

:vlol:

What if they are... isothermal bikinis :mis: ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by [Xmas] (Post 6593897)
Playing in bikinis would be a whole another experience... :cln:

Let's call it the British skin! Exclusive skin that comes with the full game if you preorder it during rainy and cold weather :D

I just can't :vlol: !!!

Carbonek_0051 07-01-13 18:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by [Xmas] (Post 6593879)
Feel free to bump this gem, gurls: Bikinis: They are more than what you think

Or not. That thread is 3 years old.

[Xmas] 07-01-13 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carbonek_0051 (Post 6593921)
Or not. That thread is 3 years old.

Why not resurrect it if there are more bikini lovers :D

I'd rather let that thread rest in piece though, bikinis (and Slayonetta) are too good for TRF </3

LNSNHGTDS 07-01-13 18:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by [Xmas] (Post 6593937)
I'd rather let that thread rest in piece though, bikinis (and Slayonetta) are too good for TRF </3

Unfortunately </3 , maybe (if we're lucky enough?) Lara will be either featured as a guest in Tekken or Dead or Alive, then bikinis might happen again ;) .


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:08.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Tomb Raider Forums is not owned or operated by CDE Entertainment Ltd.
Lara Croft and Tomb Raider are trademarks of CDE Entertainment Ltd.