www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Arts and Entertainment (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   The Lion King (2019) (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=221884)

ggctuk 22-11-18 22:48

The Lion King (2019)

As everybody is aware, Disney has been remaking the 1994 film, The Lion King, in 3D. Today, the trailer for it dropped.

It looks to be shot-for-shot remade from the 1994 film. Nevertheless, some things have apparently been changed - Be Prepared will reportedly be absent in the film, and the hyenas have been renamed from Banzai and Ed to Azizi and Kumari.

The film is due to come out July 19, 2019, which is the 25th anniversary of the original film.

Quebsenuef 22-11-18 23:11

Can’t wait to bawl my eyes out at the realistic Mufasa’s death scene like I do every time I watch the animated film *preorders tissues*

kathrynnn 22-11-18 23:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quebsenuef (Post 8014985)
Can’t wait to bawl my eyes out at the realistic Mufasa’s death scene like I do every time I watch the animated film *preorders tissues*

Same. I want to cry just watching the trailer because you just know :(

redfox45 22-11-18 23:21

Whoh, i'm blown away by how true to the original it's looking to be.
In an ideal world everyone would be back Jeremy Irons, Rowan Atkinson, Matthew Broderick etc. But that's looking unlikley. Nice to have the most significant voice in the film by far back though.

Really not too fussed about the names changes tbh, Banzai and Ed aren't the most African sounding names in the world after all.

Quebsenuef 22-11-18 23:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathrynnn (Post 8014986)
Same. I want to cry just watching the trailer because you just know :(

Seriously! Hahaha I totally agree!

When the Lion King was back in theatres here in 3D I took my little sister with me to see it and thank god for those 3D glasses bc I was totally crying hahaha
I kept telling myself “don’t cry.. do not cry.. do not cry” and then Simba gets to the point of “Dad.. wake up.. we gotta go home.. Help!! Somebody!!”

OH MY GOD EVEN THINKING ABOUT IT I WANT TO CRY hahahahaha
Anyway, I was silently crying behind my 3D glasses and my sister was totally unphased hahaha

Isaac 23-11-18 05:49

I had the chiiiiillls!
I've read though that 'Be prepared' might be missing in this adaptation... I'm a bit bummed because I love the song.

With Aladdin and Lion King back to back, we're getting served!

Avalon SARL 23-11-18 08:00

Disney is ruling the movies these days.

The trailer gave me goosebumps and looks to be outstanding.

Can't wait to see the stampede scene :cln:

Aladdin, Lion King, Toy Story 4, Mulan, Avengers 4 all coming in 2019 one movie after the other.

I am sure Disney will own the to 5 worldwide for 2019 :cln:

Saw Ralph Breaks the Internet yesterday and it was so awesome; full of creativity and originality; watching it again tomorrow :D

Ellioft 23-11-18 11:28

I have no interest to see this movie to be honest :( It's another cashgrab for Disney. I don't care if the film is a part of my childhood if I want to see the Lion King well I watch the animated version and that's all.

The featuring Beyoncé made me sick I don't like this singer at all...

Wake me up when something new will happen

redfox45 23-11-18 12:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellioft (Post 8015065)
I have no interest to see this movie to be honest :( It's another cashgrab for Disney. I don't care if the film is a part of my childhood if I want to see the Lion King well I watch the animated version and that's all.

The featuring Beyoncé made me sick I don't like this singer at all...

Wake me up when something new will happen

When the bottom starts to fall out with Star Wars it's time to panic. :vlol:

Zelda master 23-11-18 13:11

But... Why? It seems pretty much like a CG version of the animated original...

Saratova 23-11-18 13:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zelda master (Post 8015080)

I think it'd be reasonable to expect future live action/CG remakes of all their animated features the way things are headed.

The originals will still stand on their own. In a way I suppose it's not entirely dissimilar to adaptations of plays that change for new audiences.

As a related side note I just remembered that it was Disney who lobbied to have the period of copyright extended in the early 20th century in order to retain rights to the early Micky Mouse animations so they wouldn't fall into public domain after a time, the length of which only grew and became extended as the years went on—again coming from Disney's efforts. Perhaps such remakes serve two purposes, in also becoming new pieces of work which extend the longevity of copyright for the IP (so one new version is always current, if this remake trend continues). INAL so idk if this is relevant to that much though.

Zelda master 23-11-18 14:19

Steamboat Willie will fall into the public domain (it technically already is, but Disney does whatever it can to deny that) in four years (2023) iirc. Unless Disney will lobby again for yet another copyright extention, something they've already done succesfully three or four times for the short, it'll finally fall into the public domain. Making a new version will not prevent the original from falling into it. The trademark, as long as still properly used and maintained, will not.

Cochrane 23-11-18 18:37

I'm unsure about this. On the one hand, it's that thing I loved, with better graphics! On the other hand, it's just that thing I already loved with better graphics. I think I would have preferred for them to do something more abstract like the Broadway Musical, instead of this literal remake.

TRfan23 24-11-18 18:40

This will also need to be done in CGI to.

Dustie 24-11-18 19:44

^ LOOOOOL

TBH this looks meh... Like 1,5 hour showcase of what world's most talented and skilled 3D animators can with with the world's most expensive 3D rendering stations today... The Jungle Book had the merit of composing live-action human performance and backgrounds with the 3D-animated animals, and this is just all (or almost all) in 3D. For some reason in a time when cinema can show literally everything and more, I guess it's hard for me to be impressed with anything. I suppose this is The Lion King for the new generation which finds traditional 2D animation too bad too watch.

Yeauxleaux 24-11-18 19:52

I'd rather it be a shot-for-shot remake, than a reboot that has to inject shoehorned political themes into it like most things do these days. Sitting with my tea waiting for some contrived controversy to arise though...

[img]*******************/yqt1yWP/A-Olenna.gif[/img]

Should be a good watch, I'm looking forward to it.

Also did anyone else ever find the up-close shots of Rafiki using his hands to do very human-like things a bit uncanny valley? It used to creep me out a little as a kid and I'm re-living it now in 3D haha.

Zelda master 24-11-18 22:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux (Post 8015416)
I'd rather it be a shot-for-shot remake, than a reboot that has to inject shoehorned political themes into it like most things do these days.

Did you like... Not watch the original? Or did you watch it and somehow miss the actual Nazi hyenas?

Tombraider95 25-11-18 00:15

I was never fussed with the original Lion King. I'm sure I watched it as a kid, but I was more into other Disney films. I was never really into animated animal films.

This is just the same but with prettier graphics. It's not a bad thing but doesn't make me want to watch it either. I'm more excited to see proper live action remakes like Mulan (although with the changes to the film like no songs, I won't be watching that either).

Ellioft 25-11-18 00:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombraider95 (Post 8015509)
I was never fussed with the original Lion King. I'm sure I watched it as a kid, but I was more into other Disney films. I was never really into animated animal films.

This is just the same but with prettier graphics. It's not a bad thing but doesn't make me want to watch it either. I'm more excited to see proper live action remakes like Mulan (although with the changes to the film like no songs, I won't be watching that either).

So if I follow you, you are not interested by The Lion King because it's a copy and paste but you are not interested in Mulan because they are no songs (even if it's not sure) like in the original ?

By the way we know Gong Li will be on the movie and also Jet Li.

Tombraider95 25-11-18 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellioft (Post 8015525)
So if I follow you, you are not interested by The Lion King because it's a copy and paste but you are not interested in Mulan because they are no songs (even if it's not sure) like in the original ?

By the way we know Gong Li will be on the movie and also Jet Li.

Yup!

Jami393 25-11-18 18:37

Is Elton John involved with this remake? I know Tim Rice is and those two were also a key part in making The Lion King great.

ggctuk 25-11-18 22:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jami393 (Post 8015760)
Is Elton John involved with this remake? I know Tim Rice is and those two were also a key part in making The Lion King great.

Yes. I'd link you but the source I read was an NY Times article that sadly is no longer available to view in Europe.

He's reworking his original songs and writing some new ones. Apparently "Be Prepared" will not be in the film though.

Jami393 26-11-18 06:40

Be Prepared is my favourite song from the original. Shame it's not coming back. Good to see Elton John back at least.

Legends 27-11-18 23:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux (Post 8015416)
I'd rather it be a shot-for-shot remake, than a reboot that has to inject shoehorned political themes into it like most things do these days.

I agree, I don't like when they take something they already made and changes it. If this was a shot for shot movie I'd love it. Still excited to see this one though. Although I didn't like The Jungle Book remake.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zelda master (Post 8015465)
Did you like... Not watch the original? Or did you watch it and somehow miss the actual Nazi hyenas?

Scar is inspired by Hitler, so they'd had to cut him out too.

Dennis's Mom 27-11-18 23:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zelda master (Post 8015080)

This is where I am. I watched the live action Beauty and the Beast movie and I was like, "we needed this why?" :confused:

IMO it's just movies for people who think animation is a subpar way to tell a story.

Ahmier 27-11-18 23:52

Looks good! Hope you guys enjoy it because unpopular opinion I could never get into The Lion King for some reason.

Can’t wait for Alladin and Mulan to come.

Avalon SARL 28-11-18 09:31

There is never going to be a solid ground to please evryone regarding these remakes/ reimagining of these movies.

Many people go: it is an exact copy/paste of the original and they hate it for that.

Other people say: why did they change this and that; they should have followed the original story.

Disney can never please anyone and they are not even caring. They know that people's opinions are divided; but these remakes are a way to show the grandeur of CGI, new cinema effects and stuff and I find it pretty to watch in cinema.

I always found the animated Lion King to be very childish with lots of plot holes; maybe here they can fix some stuff as these remakes are made to be darker and more thrilling.

No matter what comes out of this, people will only complain.

dcw123 28-11-18 10:41

I hate how they call it Live Action when its clearly CGI.
Why this obsession with making more adult, darker 'realistic' versions of Disney classics.

I mean, part of me likes them - Beauty and the Beast was pretty awesome - but nothing beats the old drawn, animated style IMO

Oh great - and now I have "Just can't wait to be King" stuck in my head :ton:

Tombraider95 28-11-18 12:41

Just to clarify, I'm not fussed about this remake because I was never fussed about the original. Not because it's a 1:1 remake. That's why I'm frustrated with Mulan not having songs and some characters removed. What's the point?

Avalon SARL 28-11-18 15:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombraider95 (Post 8016625)
Just to clarify, I'm not fussed about this remake because I was never fussed about the original. Not because it's a 1:1 remake. That's why I'm frustrated with Mulan not having songs and some characters removed. What's the point?

The Animated Mulan version is not consistent and almost has nothing to do with the real Mulan story that is known in China.

The upcoming Mulan movie will be based on the ancient true story that is known in China; that is why it will be very different from the animated movie.

I don't get why everyone has this complaint; it is not like Disney is removing the animated movies from stores and banning anyone to watch them again :confused:

These movies are more like new experiments and showing how much of a progress cinema movies have. They are big and they bring profit to the company; movies at the end of the day are just for fun to sit down and enjoy your time.

If you think these remakes make you feel bad, just stay away from them and don't watch them.

Tyrannosaurus 01-12-18 02:32

I'm almost proud to say that I won't see it.

Ellioft 02-12-18 23:20

Basically all I think about Disney as a company now :D
The horror the Cars remake starring The Rock :vlol:

thabani33 03-12-18 04:18

Pumbaa is gonna look so ugly in realism :eek:

Ligufaca 03-12-18 09:28

It looks good, I might even watch it when it comes out.

Speaking of, I have never seen the original movie, dunno if I should watch it now or wait for this new version. :ponder:

Ellioft 03-12-18 13:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ligufaca (Post 8017965)
It looks good, I might even watch it when it comes out.

Speaking of, I have never seen the original movie, dunno if I should watch it now or wait for this new version. :ponder:

Watch the original definitly it's a classic of the animation :D

Ligufaca 05-12-18 00:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellioft (Post 8018015)
Watch the original definitly it's a classic of the animation :D

I guess I should! I do like that "old" animation style.

Gonna watch it tonight!

Ellioft 06-12-18 01:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ligufaca (Post 8018546)
I guess I should! I do like that "old" animation style.

Gonna watch it tonight!

Old O___o My heart is about to die :p

It only came in 1994 the year of my birth so it's only 24 years :D
We have done some terrific progress in animation but nothing can replace the feeling of an all drawn animation :) The japanese are still using this technique for their animations series and movies. :)

thabani33 07-12-18 08:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellioft (Post 8018915)
The japanese are still using this technique for their animations series and movies. :)

While the west thinks 2d animation is a dead medium.

AntRaidsTombs 07-12-18 09:30

I know Mufasa’s death is going to be even more heartbreaking than the original. I’m already preparing myself for this.

Legends 09-12-18 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis's Mom (Post 8016466)
This is where I am. I watched the live action Beauty and the Beast movie and I was like, "we needed this why?" :confused:

IMO it's just movies for people who think animation is a subpar way to tell a story.

And the Beauty and the Beast remake wasn't even good. I didn't like Emma Watson as Belle. Her singing was... not great. At all.