www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider Motion Pictures (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tomb Raider 2 in the works as MGM hires new writer (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=222608)

Portugalraider 11-08-19 00:29

Honestly, I think you are taking this way too out of context. The problem here isn't that the movie had guns, the problem is that is a satirical movie about people being killed to amuse other people (which turn against their hunters). After mass shootings, yeah, that would be a bit tasteless.

Besides, let me put my tinfoil hat and say this: was anyone really caring about "The Hunt" before all this debacle? Sure, it might not be released on movie theatres, but I wouldn't be surprised if Universal in a few months stroke a deal with a streaming company to have it exclusively on their platform, marketed as the "unreleased movie of 2019" or "of the summer" or whatever... More tasteless marketing moves were made than that...

Rai 11-08-19 01:41

I agree with Portugalraider, you're putting too much weight on this one film being cancelled. The Hunt was due for release in just over a month, which is too soon considering what that film is about. Tomb Raider isn't even near filming yet. Is the industry gonna cancel all films with gun violence? Tomb Raider is also very much in the fantasy genre, even if it does sometimes feature real life locations. Sadly these recent events aren't new. Gun violence in films didn't end after previous tragedies. Even if Lara doesn't have her dual pistols, the enemies will likely carry and use them just as in the first film. Regardless of what politicians are trying to make out, violence in video games and films aren't responsible for real life violence, people know the difference between reality and fiction, thankfully.

GeekOfComedy 11-08-19 02:57

I don't think that you's understand how the concept of financial risk in films work and B) I never said that gun violence in films would go away - I said I don't think you'll see HEROES use fire arms and I have the trades to back me up here RE: Hobbs and Shaw which costed more than a Tomb Raider movie ever will. I'm not dictating this policy, I'm basically telling you all what's happening in Hollywood so if the sequel does go into production and she doesn't have her dual pistols - you's all can't act surprised. The big test will be Charlies Angels, Banks brought back the Guns and the angels are clearly seen using them throughout the film.

It doesn't matter what I or anyone here thinks, losing $20M on this film budget + at least $20-30M Universal spent on early marketing isn't fun for anyone. It will go on streaming but it will have lost all the theatrical money and DVD sales aren't what they used to be and Netflix and other SVOD pay up front, it's not that they get paid per view. Also "did anyone really care" doesn't really apply because Tomb Raider fits right in that description too as do a lot of blockbusters that don't have mass fan bases.

SoraSakai 11-08-19 03:40

You seem hella paranoid lol

GeekOfComedy 11-08-19 04:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoraSakai (Post 8119930)
You seem hella paranoid lol

I would if I was a financier for MGM, forget the guns issue - just her box office alone :p

SoraSakai 11-08-19 05:48

One is a an adventure film and the other is an R rated horror film.
They’re entirely different. Tomb Raider also won’t release for another 2 years.

Ellioft 11-08-19 08:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Portugalraider (Post 8119905)
Besides, let me put my tinfoil hat and say this: was anyone really caring about "The Hunt" before all this debacle? Sure, it might not be released on movie theatres, but I wouldn't be surprised if Universal in a few months stroke a deal with a streaming company to have it exclusively on their platform, marketed as the "unreleased movie of 2019" or "of the summer" or whatever... More tasteless marketing moves were made than that...

Kinda like The Interview who profited from the North Korea situation and piracy.

Wich was a terrible comedy by the way.

PinkyPromise 11-08-19 08:38

Please stop. Sooooooo out of context.

As Portugalraider said "the hunt" is a satire about the use of weapons. Normal people in a normal world killing themselves for fun.

TR will have twin guns, James bond will have guns, Black Widow will have guns, John Wick sequels will have many guns. You have to know how to differentiate when a movie is something real or when it is an action movie and superheroes. They are good against bad people shooting. Is different.

They even pulled the twin guns in the trailer (showing the post-credit scene) because it is the essence of Lara Croft and they know it.

You have to differentiate between movies that take out weapons and show violence as something cool (the hunt) or action movies where heroes use weapons to defend themselves (advengers, james bond, etc)

Portugalraider 11-08-19 11:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellioft (Post 8119972)
Kinda like The Interview who profited from the North Korea situation and piracy.

Wich was a terrible comedy by the way.

Exactly the movie I was thinking of. But even others and some games had very questionable marketing stunts.

Besides, as I said before, these new movies are being based on the reboot games, and in those Lara is presented as a more resourceful character when it counts to combat. Again, if she alhas the duals (or even if she does not, if she one has one pistol), I am not expecting them to be Lara's answer to every situation, but more of a last resort.

Trenton 11-08-19 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeekOfComedy (Post 8119926)
I don't think you'll see HEROES use fire arms and I have the trades to back me up here RE: Hobbs and Shaw which costed more than a Tomb Raider movie ever will. I'm not dictating this policy, I'm basically telling you all what's happening in Hollywood so if the sequel does go into production and she doesn't have her dual pistols - you's all can't act surprised. The big test will be Charlies Angels, Banks brought back the Guns and the angels are clearly seen using them throughout the film.

I think one thing that could save the next TR in this regard is the extremely poor US box office performance of the first film.
As a result of that the international market should be considered the main target for the next TR, since that's where the first one made most of its money.
Hopefully the US box office being of less importance for this particular film means the producers won't let a political debate in the US affect the content of their film too much. IDK. :ponder: