www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider Motion Pictures (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tomb Raider 2 in the works as MGM hires new writer (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=222608)

xspacedude 12-04-19 17:11

Tomb Raider 2 in the works as MGM hires new writer

EXCLUSIVE: Get ready for another Tomb Raider with Alicia Vikander. MGM has hired Amy Jump to write the script for the sequel. Sources said Vikander liked what she was in Jump’s scripting.

She is best known for her collaborations with director and partner Ben Wheatley, who co-wrote several of them. That includes Free Fire, the action drama that starred Brie Larson, Cillian Murphy and Armie Hammer. Her other credits include the Wheatley-directed Kill List, A Field In England, Sightseers, and High-Rise. The films are cult favorites in the UK. She broadens the pool of female action writers, who are now in high demand. Geneva Robertson-Dworet and Alastair Siddons wrote the first installment. Warner Bros released the first film.

Directed by Roar Uthaug, Tomb Raider grossed $274 million worldwide, turning the Oscar-winning Swedish actress Vikander into an action heroine after a string of prestige pics and sci-fi like Ex Machina. Graham King’s GK Films is back as producer after an exhilarating run with Bohemian Rhapsody.

WME and Independent Talent Group rep Jump.

https://deadline.com/2019/04/tomb-ra...pt-1202594616/

laracroftswest 12-04-19 17:12

HELL yes!! Oh my god.

Vaskito 12-04-19 17:12

OMG just saw on Twitter

:jmp::jmp::jmp::jmp:

I'm SO HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YESSS! I could cry right now! :jmp::jmp::jmp::jmp::jmp:

b.gluch 12-04-19 17:12

I'm gonna cry! We did it kids!

Chamayoo 12-04-19 17:14

Excellent news ! Hope it will accelerate after that. Is it a reach to hope the new movie in 2020/2021 ? :D

Grimaldi 12-04-19 17:15

This is genuinely a surprise, but a really nice one! I think they can only improve where the last film left off, and I’m ecstatic Alicia is set to return. She gave one of the best Lara performances out there, period.

So, the question is: original story, game adaptation...or both?

Tombraider95 12-04-19 17:15

I'm excited! Hopefully it'll be a much better origin sequel than Rise was! :admles:

laracroftswest 12-04-19 17:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chamayoo (Post 8072128)
Excellent news ! Hope it will accelerate after that. Is it a reach to hope the new movie in 2020/2021 ? :D

I think 2021 at the earliest. BUT STILL!!!!

I don't know of anything this woman has written, but she writes for what her husband, Ben Wheatley, directs. I think we should keep our eyes on him. His films aren't popular, but they are critically reviewed pretty well. So incase he's onboard too, that could be a good sign!

$@Ssio 12-04-19 17:17

I’m super happyyyy!! I LOVED the first movie!!

Portugalraider 12-04-19 17:20

ALL ABOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

:jmp::jmp::jmp::jmp::jmp::jmp::jmp:

Andre, guess your source doesn't need to confirm anything :p

Man, if this was reported tomorrow, it would have been a hell of a birthday present! :p

foodfather 12-04-19 17:24

Impressive. I'll make sure to support as many MGM movies as possible to make sure they follow through.

Vaskito 12-04-19 17:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombraider95 (Post 8072131)
I'm excited! Hopefully it'll be a much better origin sequel than Rise was! :admles:

I mean, if you take the parental issues out, the byzantine mythology from Rise would be so amazing *.*

FanosCroft 12-04-19 17:27

My sources never lie, told ya!:p

b.gluch 12-04-19 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Portugalraider (Post 8072136)

Man, if this was reported tomorrow, it would have been a hell of a birthday present! :p

It's April 13th in China so it counts as a birthday present :p happy birthday!

This wait is gonna be loooooong! Can't wait to see the first set images

Chamayoo 12-04-19 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombraider95 (Post 8072131)

The twin pistols would disappear out of nowhere like the game. :mis:

I'm just being petty don't mind me

Tombraider95 12-04-19 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaskito (Post 8072142)
I mean, if you take the parental issues out, the byzantine mythology from Rise would be so amazing *.*

Yeah father issues are gone hopefully. I don't really mind what the story is otherwise, but I'm guessing it will relate to Trinity which is fine. I just hope the sequel doesn't completely remove things like her braid and the pistols. I'm not saying she has to have them for the whole movie, but for example it could start with her training in her manor, target practice, gymnastics, some archery as well. Looking forward to seeing where it goes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chamayoo (Post 8072149)
The twin pistols would disappear out of nowhere like the game. :mis:

I'm just being petty don't mind me

They better not!

Grimaldi 12-04-19 17:33

You guys, I need to see muscular Alicia in Shadow’s default outfit.

biscuits 12-04-19 17:34

I hated the movie but I'm still soooooo excited :jmp::jmp::jmp:

FanosCroft 12-04-19 17:34

I hope they adapt ROTTR wig

Rai 12-04-19 17:35

I'm not familiar with this writer nor the films she's worked on, but sod that...

Hallelujah!!! And I'm so happy Alicia is back on board! :jmp: I'm actually kinda surprised, this news came out of the blue a bit.

As long as they don't pull another first film shenanigans on us with constant new writing hires etc.

biscuits 12-04-19 17:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by FanosCroft (Post 8072153)
I hope they adapt ROTTR wig

Yes!!
Just imagine the bear chase or Kitezh in it's full glory

Chamayoo 12-04-19 17:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by biscuits (Post 8072152)
I hated the movie but I'm still soooooo excited :jmp::jmp::jmp:

Hahahaha well that's a good thing I guess, at least you have more chance to be pleasantly surprised if your expectations are low. :p

PinkyPromise 12-04-19 17:37

Omfg! Yes, hell, yessss!

relevance 12-04-19 17:38

By the way, Alicia supposed to star in Ben Wheatley’s dream project ‘Freakshift’ (with Amy writing the script) not long ago, it couldn’t find financing, but I think it can be very possible that Ben’s gonna be onboard for Tomb Raider with her.

Portugalraider 12-04-19 17:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by b.gluch (Post 8072148)
It's April 13th in China so it counts as a birthday present :p happy birthday!

Thanks! :D
Happy Chinese birthday to me! :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by FanosCroft (Post 8072143)
My sources never lie, told ya!:p

Well, keep the info coming in, unless it's too spoiler-y :p

Like I said before, I guess they are targeting a 2021 release to celebrate both the franchise's and first movie's anniversaries (25th and 20th, respectively).

I'm guessing this year for pre-production, filming in 2020 and hopefully a summer 2021 release. Or at least not between two way-too-close Marvel major releases once again :p

PinkyPromise 12-04-19 17:40

I think this has happened thanks to Graham King and his Bohemian success

I am very very happy

I hope they make a better movie. I want Alicia with braid and twin pistols and a NEW AND FRESH story!

Rai 12-04-19 17:44

I hope they re-hire Roar Uthauag. I think he can learn from the first film and work on it. There really was some very nice moments in the film and his work with Alicia paid off. If the script is better from the off, he'll have a better chance to deliver. I also hope for some actual supernatural elements.

FanosCroft 12-04-19 17:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by biscuits (Post 8072157)
Yes!!
Just imagine the bear chase or Kitezh in it's full glory

1B box office confirmed

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rai (Post 8072168)
I hope they re-hire Roar Uthauag. I think he can learn from the first film and work on it. There really was some very nice moments in the film and his work with Alicia paid off. If the script is better from the off, he'll have a better chance to deliver. I also hope for some actual supernatural elements.

Ugh yes I love how true his movie was to the games moments and stuff, we really need his attention to details back.

Grimaldi 12-04-19 17:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rai (Post 8072168)
I also hope for some actual supernatural elements.

Oh god, yes please. One of the biggest missteps with the first film. If they fix that, dial down Trinity and Richard, and focus more on the tombs, it could be amazing. :cln:

Chamayoo 12-04-19 17:48

I guess Lu Ren would likely take the role of Jonah

biscuits 12-04-19 17:50

I hope Roar Uthaug returns as well. I'm glad they got a new scriptwriter tho.

Portugalraider 12-04-19 17:55

Yes, I would like Roar to return, and definitely supernatural elements as well, even if more grounded. An adaptation for RotTR could be good for that, since in that game, the supernatural isn't so extreme. Would be a nice middle ground between no supernatural elements in the first movie, and the "Maya apocalypse and you and your enemy will embody a god to be sacrificed" elements of a possible future SotTR adaptation. :)

Yes, I already want the sequel to the sequel :p

I am just so happy Alicia Vikander will be Lara Croft once again! She was terrific as Lara and definitely deserves this sequel!

PinkyPromise 12-04-19 17:56

I prefer another director. Someone who is not a mercenary. Someone who loves the saga. I hope they learn and do better marketing. I also hope Alice outfit classic and a new and fresh story. Rise and Shadow have no impact. We need something new.

About the new writer, has anyone seen something of her?

I really like Graham King. I think he has fought for the franchise. And Alicia being the one who has chosen the writer.

Lu Ren is back sure, they need china market

DOPE 12-04-19 17:57

**** yes!!! :jmp:

biscuits 12-04-19 17:57

I'm quite excited to see them adapt Rise.
Or it could be an entirely new story I dunno. Hopefully they'll go into this with everything they learned from the first movie in mind.
Alicia returning is a given I think.

Vaskito 12-04-19 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkyPromise (Post 8072183)
I prefer another director. Someone who is not a mercenary.

What? Can you explain?

Roar has expressed lots of love and pride on the movie he made on Twitter

PinkyPromise 12-04-19 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaskito (Post 8072191)
What? Can you explain?

Roar has expressed lots of love and pride on the movie he made on Twitter

Roar did a good job but he was very new in Hollywood and the movie was difficult for him. They had to do a lot of plans again by CGI to fix faults making the movie more expensive. That is because it is not well planned.

Say this: I believe that Ben Wheatley will be the director because:

-Friend of Alicia
-Friend of Screenwritting (all movies of Ben Wheatley was written by Amy)
-British

Ellioft 12-04-19 18:11

That's so AWEEEEEEEEEEEESOOOOOOOOOOOME

:jmp::jmp::jmp:

I KNEW IT :jmp:

MicheleMouse 12-04-19 18:12

Yes, yes, yes!! :jmp:
I'm so curious about the story. :admles:

DOPE 12-04-19 18:14

Hopefully they'll take lessons from Rise and make Ana an actual villan this time :vlol:

That cliffhanger gives me a lot of hope though!

Oh I'm so excited, I've been waiting for this moment since I left the theatre lol