Tomb Raider Forums

Tomb Raider Forums (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider Level Editor (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   TRNG Games random crashing on load. (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=219284)

annl 28-01-18 19:19

TRNG Games random crashing on load.

In particular, Mists of Avalon. I read a suggestion by Titak to replace the Tomb_NextGeneration.dll with a newer one if you can't see the load/save screen. However it causes another problem, the game crashes sometimes upon loading another level. It's quite an annoying problem to an otherwise fantastic level set.

Does anyone know a fix?

Titak 28-01-18 20:31

People have reported it working fine with dll version 1.2.2.7.
Don't know if 1.3.0.0 or higher will work.

Btw, what do you mean by "trying to load another level"?
A savegame of another level?

annl 28-01-18 20:50

It crashes anytime loading happens, be it loading a save game during gameplay or traveling being levels (e.g. traveling from the main hall to the library). I tried moving the folder to a better location, it didn't work. The dll is the 1.2.2.7 version.

OverRaider 28-01-18 20:52

Titak, your game MoA does really crash when using dll 1.2.2.7...

I replayed it about 2 years ago for the third time and replaced dll 1.2.2.6 with 1.2.2.7 so that I could see savegame panel and in-game pictures but it crashed during the play several times reporting something like [B]dll not compatible with data files[/B] yeah something like that, it didn`t crash that often but few times like maybe 10 times but anyway, I don`t know why it works for others and doeasn`t really for anothers...

A simple fix to this would be to recompile your game and reupload but I did mention this crash long time ago but nobody said anything and you said that it`s impossible that dll causing the crash so its up to you now...

annl 28-01-18 20:55

^ OverRaider is right, the problem he describes is exactly the same as mine.

The last crash text says the dll is different.

This is the part that I noticed and the part I believe OverRaider has mentioned (in bold):

[QUOTE]............... QUICK DIAGNOSTIC LOG ...............
WARNING: missing "DATA\MoA06-cliffs.TR4" level file
WARNING: missing "DATA\MoA07-arthur.TR4" level file
WARNING: missing "DATA\MoA08-sunken.TR4" level file
WARNING: missing "DATA\MoA09-avalon.TR4" level file
WARNING: missing "DATA\MoA2-10-Testlevel01.TR4" level file
WARNING: missing "DATA\MoA2-11-Testlevel02.TR4" level file
WARNING: missing "DATA\CC2-test.TR4" level file
WARNING: missing "DATA\animation-test.TR4" level file
[B]WARNING: level "MoA00-title.TR4" has a version (1.2.2.6) different than current dll
WARNING: level "MoA04-mainhall.TR4" has a version (1.2.2.6) different than current dll
WARNING: level "MoA05-basement.TR4" has a version (1.2.2.6) different than current dll
WARNING: level "MoA04-mainhall.TR4" has a version (1.2.2.6) different than current dll
WARNING: level "MoA05-basement.TR4" has a version (1.2.2.6) different than current dll
WARNING: level "MoA06-TheDig.TR4" has a version (1.2.2.6) different than current dll
WARNING: level "MoA06-TheDig.TR4" has a version (1.2.2.6) different than current dll
WARNING: level "MoA00-title.TR4" has a version (1.2.2.6) different than current dll
WARNING: level "MoA00-title.TR4" has a version (1.2.2.6) differen †¿RAt moment of crash the program was managing:[/B][/QUOTE]It certainly doesn't crash when the dll is the original. It fact, there is another level (I believe it was The Training - Episode Zero Revised) that suffered the same problem.

charmedangelin 28-01-18 21:48

I had this problem too with Mists of Avalon. Thing is you need the new dll file because otherwise you cannot see the menus and text.

Titak 28-01-18 23:04

[QUOTE=OverRaider;7816935]and you said that it`s impossible that dll causing the crash[/QUOTE]I very much doubt I used the word impossible since nothing is impossible, especially not when talking about TRLE/TRNG.
But whatever.

Didn't playing in windowed mode with the original 1.2.2.6 dll work with the images? :ponder:

I should still have the original scripts, but that wouldn't fisx the problem.
The level files should be recompiled.
I'm not sure I want to recompile the levels. Meta2TR has been used and I'd have to run them all through Meta2TR again. :ponder:
I'll see what I can do.

annl 28-01-18 23:10

Thanks Titak.

I am sorry about throwing this at you Titak, I know you're busy. It's just I really enjoy your level sets and I really want to complete this one.

In the meantime I can do Himalayan Mysteries.

Thanks Titak. And I apologise again for the inconvenience.

OverRaider 28-01-18 23:39

[QUOTE=Titak;7816976]I very much doubt I used the word impossible[/QUOTE]

Of course you didn`t, sorry about saying that, the long-time-ago memories usually fade into very brief glimps of about similar meaning and I just wrote down that, sorry again...the point is there already was a talk about it as I said, and nothing has been done because there was said that dll up to 1.2.2.7+ should be compatible with anything older, here I found the talk in your own thread of MoA [URL="http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=122164&page=521"]http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=122164&page=521[/URL]

[QUOTE=Titak;7816976]Didn't playing in windowed mode with the original 1.2.2.6 dll work with the images? [/QUOTE]

Speaking for myself I hate windowed mode for several obvious reasons...

[QUOTE=Titak;7816976]I should still have the original scripts, but that wouldn't fisx the problem.
The level files should be recompiled.
I'm not sure I want to recompile the levels. Meta2TR has been used and I'd have to run them all through Meta2TR again.
I'll see what I can do. [/QUOTE]

Would be good if you at least try, because I believe many players would download new compatible version and not to mention all those potential players who don`t even visit forums and just try out the game and throw it into bin because they can`t see save panel etc... I actually have good intentions that`s why I contributed to this thread confirming the incompatibility...

[QUOTE=annl;7816979]In the meantime I can do Himalayan Mysteries.[/QUOTE]

Just want to say that if Titak can`t recompile the levels, you can still play MoA without crashing, you just have to delete the Pix folder in main folder of the game and put 1.2.2.6 dll back and you`ll be able to see the classic style savegame panel, the only issue you`ll have is you`ll be not seeing in-game pictures for story-telling purposes, but at least you can see them outside of the game if neccesary, I know not the best solution but if nothing else...

annl 28-01-18 23:55

[QUOTE=OverRaider;7816982] Just want to say that if Titak can`t recompile the levels, you can still play MoA without crashing, you just have to delete the Pix folder in main folder of the game and put 1.2.2.6 dll back and you`ll be able to see the classic style savegame panel, the only issue you`ll have is you`ll be not seeing in-game pictures for story-telling purposes, but at least you can see them outside of the game if neccesary, I know not the best solution but if nothing else...[/QUOTE]
Thanks for letting me know. :tmb: