Tomb Raider Forums

Tomb Raider Forums (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider (Crystal Dynamics' version) (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   TOMB RAIDER General Discussion Thread (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=187894)

Spong 11-05-13 22:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Ninja_ (Post 6781515)
You should be locked out from playing the game for a month or two until your character recovers in a hospital "as any human being would".

Or, better yet, why bother having health at all? Just make Lara invincible :tmb:

Two can play the 'let's take it to a silly extreme' game :p

JsotoTRSaga 11-05-13 22:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Ninja_ (Post 6781521)
That would require twice the work for balancing gameplay.

It's not impossible, so they can do it for those who are so desperate asking for it. I for one loved the regeneration more than the medi-packs and do not want them back TBQH.

trfanX34 11-05-13 22:33

Medipacks aren't necessarily more realistic than autoregenerating health.

"Oops I broke both of my legs falling, but no problem, because I've got invisible bandages that I don't even need to put on! Just stare at the medipack, say "ah!" And you can do crazy acrobatics again!"


If anything, regenerating health is more realistic. Lara is hurt but she heals after some time, like any person would, just that at a much faster rate.

And this is coming from a person who would like having medipacks back. Maybe they could be added in addition to autoregenerating health.

_Ninja_ 11-05-13 22:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spong (Post 6781532)
Or, better yet, why bother having health at all? Just make Lara invincible :tmb:

Two can play the 'let's take it to a silly extreme' game :p

You know what if they could accommodate a healing system that just uses in game visual ques. Like visual damage, Lara would start limping and bleeding until you bandage. And it would take time to do, so no insta health from the 5 healthpacks you're carrying to turn you into a bullet sponge. I would be all for it.

But no bars or numeric values in front of my eyes. I think it does good things for the feel of this game not to have that.

Lara_Fan1 11-05-13 22:42

If you don't want a HUD or a Health Bar or Medi-Packs then please go and lock yourself in a cupboard and don't come out until you realize what you've just said.

Thank you.

JsotoTRSaga 11-05-13 22:42

^Iv'e been locked in a closet long enough to now try and lock myself in a cupboard...
Quote:

Originally Posted by trfanX34 (Post 6781551)
Medipacks aren't necessarily more realistic than autoregenerating health.

"Oops I broke both of my legs falling, but no problem, because I've got invisible bandages that I don't even need to put on! Just stare at the medipack, say "ah!" And you can do crazy acrobatics again!"


If anything, regenerating health is more realistic. Lara is hurt but she heals after some time, like any person would, just that at a much faster rate.

And this is coming from a person who would like having medipacks back. Maybe they could be added in addition to autoregenerating health.

Like in Read Dead Redemption? hmm... that sounds like a better idea.

Stevo505 11-05-13 22:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lara_Fan1 (Post 6781564)
If you don't want a HUD or a Health Bar or Medi-Packs then please go and lock yourself in a cupboard and don't come out until you realize what you've just said.

Thank you.

What if you realize what you said as you said it because you think it's the best way to go... :whi:

Phlip 11-05-13 22:43

Should we remove the ammo counter, based on the same logic, because it would be more realistic to have a rough idea of how much you've picked up?

motoleo 11-05-13 22:44

I like the fact that there was nothing obscuring the actual game play. Nothing. It was just Lara and the environment. That was all. I can't go back to anything else.

Lara_Fan1 11-05-13 22:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevo505 (Post 6781566)
What if you realize what you said as you said it because you think it's the best way to go... :whi:

Then go in to the cupboard for the fun of it :)!

No, i think they should bring back health packs and a health bar :).

_Ninja_ 11-05-13 22:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lara_Fan1 (Post 6781564)
If you don't want a HUD or a Health Bar or Medi-Packs then please go and lock yourself in a cupboard and don't come out until you realize what you've just said.

Thank you.

Is this where you say "you are not a real gamer like moi"?

Quote:

Originally Posted by motoleo (Post 6781568)
I like the fact that there was nothing obscuring the actual game play. Nothing. It was just Lara and the environment. That was all. I can't go back to anything else.

Yes.

Lara_Fan1 11-05-13 22:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Ninja_ (Post 6781570)
Is this where you say "you are not a real gamer like moi"?

Describe what 'normal' is, an I'll tell you :) lol.

Sorry but if it's going for realism then medipacks or a first aid kit surely should be in the game.

Phlip 11-05-13 22:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by motoleo (Post 6781568)
I like the fact that there was nothing obscuring the actual game play. Nothing. It was just Lara and the environment. That was all. I can't go back to anything else.

So if you were to play any other game that had HUD, you'd feel weird in some way, like it was an annoyance?

What a bizarre reason. Different things work in different games. The health bar and medipacks should work in TR.

JsotoTRSaga 11-05-13 22:49

God some people are just over obsessed with realism.... the regenerating health is fine... gosh...

trfanX34 11-05-13 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by motoleo (Post 6781568)
I like the fact that there was nothing obscuring the actual game play. Nothing. It was just Lara and the environment. That was all. I can't go back to anything else.

Exactly :)

motoleo 11-05-13 22:50

Let's face it. Med kits were always an annoyance. Take Guardian of Light for example, in Co-op, you and your partner fight for health. If you die, you are restored with just 1/4 of your health.

I couldn't focus because I everything was about not dying and keeping the health bar up. Without the health bar, you know what you're doing wrong so as to not die, then you recover and change tactics.

Lara_Fan1 11-05-13 22:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by JsotoTRSaga (Post 6781577)
God some people are just over obsessed with realism....

Only because CD have said they want to make TR as real as possible :rolleyes:

Quote:

I couldn't focus because I everything was about not dying and keeping the health bar up. Without the health bar, you know what you're doing wrong so as to not die, then you recover and change tactics.
You're saying no Medi-P because of one game? Sorry, i think they worked well in LAU. Press the UP button on the D-pad, didn't need you to focus on it.

_Ninja_ 11-05-13 22:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lara_Fan1 (Post 6781571)
Describe what 'normal' is, an I'll tell you :) lol.

Which definition do you like best? :)

I'm fond of: free from any mental disorder; sane.

Lara_Fan1 11-05-13 22:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Ninja_ (Post 6781585)
Which definition do you like best? :)

I'm fond of: free from any mental disorder; sane.

Hmm, this is getting off topic but someone who has a metal disorder is still 'normal' in there own little way.
None is ever normal :).

Stevo505 11-05-13 22:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phlip (Post 6781567)
Should we remove the ammo counter, based on the same logic, because it would be more realistic to have a rough idea of how much you've picked up?

You can count ammo but not how much life you have left.

Phlip 11-05-13 23:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by JsotoTRSaga (Post 6781577)
God some people are just over obsessed with realism.... the regenerating health is fine... gosh...

They're both as unrealistic as each other, though I'd say health packs are slightly more plausible, but that's not why I prefer them. I prefer them because it's adds strategy and an extra element of the need to explore and depth of keeping Lara alive.
Quote:

Originally Posted by motoleo (Post 6781579)
Let's face it. Med kits were always an annoyance. Take Guardian of Light for example, in Co-op, you and your partner fight for health. If you die, you are restored with just 1/4 of your health.

I couldn't focus because I everything was about not dying and keeping the health bar up. Without the health bar, you know what you're doing wrong so as to not die, then you recover and change tactics.

Keeping your avatar alive has and will (hopefully) always be a part of gaming, but to have it diluted so much in a game that's marketed as a survival game is quite shocking tbh.

_Ninja_ 11-05-13 23:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lara_Fan1 (Post 6781586)
Hmm, this is getting off topic but someone who has a metal disorder is still 'normal' in there own little way.
None is ever normal :).

What's a metal disorder? :)

Lara_Fan1 11-05-13 23:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Ninja_ (Post 6781590)
What's a metal disorder? :)

A mental disorder varies from different types. Anyway, this is off topic lol.

Phlip 11-05-13 23:04

^He's taking the piss out of your typo.
Quote:

Originally Posted by _Ninja_ (Post 6781590)
What's a metal disorder? :)

Someone who can't improvise and figure out when a tiny error has been made. :)

Lara_Fan1 11-05-13 23:08

What typo? :confused:

trfanX34 11-05-13 23:08

Metal disorder :vlol:

Lara_Fan1 11-05-13 23:10

:vlol:

Right.... Ok, I didn't realize that.

Y'all know what I mean tho, so it's not like its a huge thing.

motoleo 11-05-13 23:10

Don't you just hate when you're 'all up on' an enemy and then Lara just stops to reload?

I just jump around like a monkey and say, "Aw COME ON!!"

_Ninja_ 11-05-13 23:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lara_Fan1 (Post 6781600)
What typo? :confused:

A mental typo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lara_Fan1 (Post 6781603)
Y'all know what I mean tho, so it's not like its a huge thing.

jk

The1andOnlyTR 12-05-13 00:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phlip (Post 6781510)
How could that possibly work?

I feel like that's something easily toggled in the options..

lcroft_lc 12-05-13 05:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phlip (Post 6781348)
I just put together a HUD I'd love to see in future TR's. If the health bar comes back, it can be in a circle around a compass (which has two notches which move closer together as you go to your objective which the arrow points in the direction of, possibly to replace survival vision), with a simple white gun icon and the ammo amount. :)

[IM]http://i.imgur.com/hVSDCNj.jpg[/IMG]

It's a bit cheap, but you get me. What do you think? :o

That's very Call of Duty'ish. :o

AgentFalkan 12-05-13 11:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phlip (Post 6781348)
I just put together a HUD I'd love to see in future TR's. If the health bar comes back, it can be in a circle around a compass (which has two notches which move closer together as you go to your objective which the arrow points in the direction of, possibly to replace survival vision), with a simple white gun icon and the ammo amount. :)

[IG]http://i.imgur.com/hVSDCNj.jpg[/IMG]

It's a bit cheap, but you get me. What do you think? :o

Reminds me of the life/instinct bar around the radar in Hitman: Absolution. I like it.

tomee 12-05-13 11:16

I don't think the healthbar will ever come back TBH.
And it might sounds quite strange, but I think for the better. The game is harder this way. If you have a healthbar, you can just keep healing yourself for a very long time.

Spong 12-05-13 11:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomee (Post 6781886)
And it might sounds quite strange, but I think for the better. The game is harder this way. If you have a healthbar, you can just keep healing yourself for a very long time.

You can only heal if you have the supplies. If you have regen though, you can just stand around a corner for ten seconds and let your health refill. You can play a game like a complete retard, take every hit you possibly can, but as long as there's somewhere to stand where the bullets can't get you, you'll be fine in a jiffy and it'll be like nothing ever happened.

With regen, all you have to rely on is a bit of breathing space, and seeing as games these days are written for lightweights, breathing space is everywhere and full health is always attainable within moments if you just stand there. That's right, you're effectively rewarded with more health and extended play for literally doing nothing. I fail to see how that makes anything harder.

IMO, the only way regen would be any good is if it was a lot slower. I'd much prefer a regen where it took upwards of half an hour to replenish health to 100% (from near zero). But that's far too difficult for today's gamers, so it won't happen.

JsotoTRSaga 12-05-13 17:57

Healthbar discussion is still going on? :p i agree with tomee TBH it's harder and better like it is now. A new health system based on good o'l medi packs... i do not want...

Evan C. 12-05-13 18:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by JsotoTRSaga (Post 6782120)
Healthbar discussion is still going on? :p i agree with tomee TBH it's harder and better like it is now. A new health system based on good o'l medi packs... i do not want...

Neither do I. Health bar is something old and frustrating nowadays. I think it shouldn't go back, or at least if it does, it should have some sort of limitation or innovation.

tomekkobialka 12-05-13 18:37

Adding a healthbar could add an additional strategic element to the game. Besides, it would only make sense, seeing as all of the previous Tomb Raider games had a healthbar.

I guess I don't want the old "small medipack replaces 25% health instantly" mechanic, but something more advanced than that. Something a bit different. Say, Lara gets a painful skin infection which means that bandages have a weaker effect on health generation, or that she recovers slower (flinches for longer) after being hit at the point of infection (e.g. her right ankle) or something kinky like that.

Basically, having regenerating health does not fit a TR game IMO. Lara is a human being who gets hurt and stays hurt for some time after something/someone hurts her; she's not wearing Halo armour FCOL. :p

tomee 12-05-13 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomekkobialka (Post 6782152)
I guess I don't want the old "small medipack replaces 25% health instantly" mechanic, but something more advanced than that. Something a bit different. Say, Lara gets a painful skin infection which means that bandages have a weaker effect on health generation, or that she recovers slower (flinches for longer) after being hit at the point of infection (e.g. her right ankle) or something kinky like that.

That actually sounds quite interesting.
Let's say, we have bandages. It heals X%, but it takes time to apply so Lara can't do that in combat. Then there are pills which restore X% of health over 1-2 minutes, it's much slower, but Lara can use them during combat.
That would be pretty cool. And maybe we could have a much slower auto regen.

That sounds quite advanced and dynamic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spong (Post 6781899)
You can only heal if you have the supplies.

How many times did you actually run out of medikits in any of the TR games?
Quite frankly, that never happened to me.
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/show...56#post5595756
I know this was a no scratch (also meaning no medipacks) playthrough, but I usually end up using very few medipacks.

Quote:

With regen, all you have to rely on is a bit of breathing space, and seeing as games these days are written for lightweights, breathing space is everywhere and full health is always attainable within moments if you just stand there.
Which is something that you barely could do in TOMB RAIDER. There were melee guys and molotov guys. You had to be on your feet and constantly move around. You couldn't just crouch behind some cover.

Quote:

IMO, the only way regen would be any good is if it was a lot slower. I'd much prefer a regen where it took upwards of half an hour to replenish health to 100% (from near zero). But that's far too difficult for today's gamers, so it won't happen.
Half an hour? That would be a bit excessive don't you think? A few minutes sounds reasonable. But even that would be pointless. People would just wait till Lara heals and half of the game would be just standing in a place waiting for Lara to heal. As exciting as watching paint dry.

motoleo 12-05-13 19:26

We don't have any more patience. It seemed like forever.

Frustrating parts in this game: Watching Lara climb over those walls as she entered a new set. Waiting for Lara to walk while she was on the walkie talkie. Wading through water. Walking through dark tombs.

I become really impatient during those moments.

tomee 12-05-13 19:34

Those were there so that you don't get a loading screen. I think that's fairly reasonable.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:45.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Tomb Raider Forums is not owned or operated by CDE Entertainment Ltd.
Lara Croft and Tomb Raider are trademarks of CDE Entertainment Ltd.