Tomb Raider Forums

Tomb Raider Forums (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider Motion Pictures, Shows and Shorts (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   The General Tomb Raider Movie discussion thread (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=195044)

TrustyBow 05-08-18 13:05

[url]http://ahotcupofjoe.net/2018/04/pseudoarchaeology-on-the-travel-channel-megan-fox-to-have-a-new-show-and-crystal-skulls-on-legendary-locations/[/url]

Wow, so Megan Fox is apparently really really into archaeology. She's putting her own money towards the making of this show. She also said previously that she would've been an archaeologist if she wasn't an actress.

Makes me think she could've been a good Lara. I figured she was only attached to the project because she was a hot name at the time, but she actually might have tried to pursue the role out of her own interest.

Grizzly Bear 05-08-18 19:35

[QUOTE=TrustyBow;7942608][url]http://ahotcupofjoe.net/2018/04/pseudoarchaeology-on-the-travel-channel-megan-fox-to-have-a-new-show-and-crystal-skulls-on-legendary-locations/[/url]

Wow, so Megan Fox is apparently really really into archaeology. She's putting her own money towards the making of this show. She also said previously that she would've been an archaeologist if she wasn't an actress.

Makes me think she could've been a good Lara. I figured she was only attached to the project because she was a hot name at the time, but she actually might have tried to pursue the role out of her own interest.[/QUOTE]

You're right but I'm sure that if she showed her interest in archeology while playing Lara everyone would have thought she was just acting.

Aylin 05-08-18 23:37

[QUOTE=GeekOfComedy;7941968]I eh... Disagree a tiny bit. The film got a huge backlash for her being the only female on the island and Vikander was like in interviews "Yeah, that surprised me too!" then the NYT times ran an interview with Geneva Robertson-Dwortet where she's like "My dialogue was re-written by Alistair Siddons BUT my dialogue in my last draft got me hired by Disney for Captain Marvel" and said being the only woman on the island was Vikanders idea....

So I'm open to her being a producer because she brought in the bike courier aspect and the bike race WHICH WAS AMAZING but just moderated a tiny bit. :D[/QUOTE]

GRD's script had slaves as the only female figures on the island.. that's a big no. I'm glad they were removed,to be honest. I want to believe that Vikander's idea of female characters is not a bunch of extras who don't say a word and,what is worse,were probably put in "rapey" situations.
Alicia also had the idea of having Lara sharing a flat with friends. It's a pity that some scenes with Sophie were cut.

[QUOTE=GeekOfComedy;7941990]That script though was not a final draft and it's unfair to judge it. Also what you saw in the end was Geneva's, just not the dialogue! But the structure and story points were her. Siddons was responsible for what came out of Vikander and the cast's mouth.

And while her early draft is weak (Unfair though, we wont see her final draft) she puts comedic lines in parts of the film that has really low energy. A lot of people ridiculed the Dad's lair for being too by the numbers and dramatic and she put some funny lines there. And as I said back in March I knew parts of the film weren't working when Lara was hosing Lu Ren down and that should have been really comedic and witty but she just came off as frustrated which wasn't bad, but the energy of the film really took a nose dive there.

TBH, maybe Alicia needed it re-written seriously because Vikander can't be funny. I have a sneaking suspicion that she can't do comedy. Charming and personable but they didn't book SNL for her the weekend the movie came out and I haven't seen a comedic piece of her work yet.[/QUOTE]

I think the dialogue was partly rewritten by GRD and Siddons. GRD said all her early drafts were action-comedy in tone. But that wasn't in line with Uthaug's and Alicia's grounded vision. It looks like they were all on the same page.
She also said a lot of jokes were cut because they felt it wasn’t what a real person would say in some situations. I don't remember exactly the interview,but I think Uthaug said the same.
According to her,the early drafts were very Marvel in tone and "very quippy" like Indiana Jones,even if IMO the Marvel movies and the Indiana Jones movues are not really comparable.. but whatever..
I've not read one of these early drafts that some of you have read -assuming it's authentic- so I can't judge the quality and I can't say if these jokes and funny lines were really funny.. :p
The final dialogue is nothing special,at times it's quite pedestrian,but I prefer a movie that is tonally consistent,that tries to be faithful to the source material and not a bad imitation of a Marvel movie. I would have actually accentuated the survivalist and gritty tone.
But I'm also among those who are simply bored by the Marvel cookie-cutter formula.

Soma Holiday 06-08-18 01:51

I read 2/3rds of the early draft before losing interest. I dont remember anything that funny about it...

Its interesting watching this stuff now and seeing how wrong people got it haha.

[youtube]cVpGwBlre-A[/youtube]

GeekOfComedy 06-08-18 16:37

Just got back from watching MI:6.

woah, Rebecca Ferugeson would make AN EXCELLENT CLASSIC Lara Croft. Highly recommend everybody watch it regardless but there's a scene in Paris where she speeds on a motorbike, hair in a ponytail: pure Lara Croft moment that you'd want in a Tomb Raider film which is why if they could get him (Probably not now that their saying MI:6 is the action film of the decade, the dark knight of this decade etc) but Christopher Macquarie would be a fabulous director for Tomb Raider.

He does clever action, Great cinematic locations and great pacing. :D

relevance 06-08-18 17:03

[QUOTE=GeekOfComedy;7943142]Just got back from watching MI:6.

woah, Rebecca Ferugeson would make AN EXCELLENT CLASSIC Lara Croft. Highly recommend everybody watch it regardless but there's a scene in Paris where she speeds on a motorbike, hair in a ponytail: pure Lara Croft moment that you'd want in a Tomb Raider film which is why if they could get him (Probably not now that their saying MI:6 is the action film of the decade, the dark knight of this decade etc) but Christopher Macquarie would be a fabulous director for Tomb Raider.

He does clever action, Great cinematic locations and great pacing. :D[/QUOTE]

Yes, Rebecca is stunning. <3 By the way, she's also a half Swedish.:D

SoraSakai 07-08-18 01:31

[QUOTE=TrustyBow;7942608][url]http://ahotcupofjoe.net/2018/04/pseudoarchaeology-on-the-travel-channel-megan-fox-to-have-a-new-show-and-crystal-skulls-on-legendary-locations/[/url]

Makes me think she could've been a good Lara. I figured she was only attached to the project because she was a hot name at the time, but she actually might have tried to pursue the role out of her own interest.[/QUOTE]
She gets such bad rep for her role in the Transformers films simply because of how she dressed. She was my favorite character. I remember people used to say "Pfft! what character !? She was just boobs!"

What character...? Let's see...
Her father was a mechanic/car thief who was sent to prison when she was at a young age. She learned a lot about repairing cars from him but always felt pressured by people around her to hide this talent. She ditches her boyfriend after he continuously objectifies her despite her knowledge of cars being greater than his. She makes a decision by herself towards the end of the film that she can't keep running away from problems and so she bravely drives a pickup truck BACKWARDS into an alien invasion in order to help out as much as she can.

But simply because Michael Bay wanted to film close up shots of her butt, people branded the character as a nothing.

She would've made a great classic era Lara Croft.

Soma Holiday 07-08-18 01:53

^ i agree. Ive always liked megan fox. She's a decent actor though ive never seen her do drama. Her character in transformers was great. There's a stereotype that sexy woman cant be anything except sexy.

I wouldn't have loved her for lara just because they would have really oversexuallized her in it but i could see her doing the part justice if being sexy wasnt their top priority.

SoraSakai 07-08-18 02:30

[QUOTE=Soma Holiday;7943696]^ i agree. Ive always liked megan fox. She's a decent actor though ive never seen her do drama. Her character in transformers was great. There's a stereotype that sexy woman cant be anything except sexy.

I wouldn't have loved her for lara just because they would have really oversexuallized her in it but i could see her doing the part justice if being sexy wasnt their top priority.[/QUOTE]
She would be perfect AOD Lara in my opinion ^.^

Soma Holiday 07-08-18 03:22

[QUOTE=SoraSakai;7943713]She would be perfect AOD Lara in my opinion ^.^[/QUOTE]

She definitely had the makeup look down! With the bright lips and heavy liner!

Rhona is always my choice but megan wouldnt have been a bad choice. I remember a list of the people they had in mind and some were like Wut? Kristin Stewart? Really???