www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider Motion Pictures, Shows and Shorts (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   The General Tomb Raider Movie discussion thread (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=195044)

PallasAthene 19-01-18 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Portugalraider (Post 7814312)
People always have trouble adjusting to any actor replacement. People don't like change in general.

But more than Daniel Craig as James Bond, I think this is going to be more of a situation similar to Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman. Even the negative comments are basically the same (she doesn't look like Wonder Woman, she looks to skinny, where are the boobs, Linda Carter is the only Wonder Woman for me, yada yada yada), then people actually saw her in action, acting the role and were sold. The same is happening to Alicia and I bet the end result will be the same: Alicia will become the quintessential live-action Lara Croft for this generation.

Regarding looks, I think people who criticize Alicia often forget that Angelina wore a lot of padding to get the original Lara Croft proportions, and she's never had much of a butt or hips. I mean, she was herself a skinny model in the 90s/early 2000s who played the heroin addict/AIDS patient, supermodel Gia Carangi. Jolie was hardly Kim K in terms of curves.

So yeah, there's really no reason to put Vikander down, they've just gone for a more natural look in this movie.

I really hope people will move on from comparing their looks after seeing the movie. It makes me sad that some people are this bothered about the inches around a woman's hips and boobs.

Portugalraider 19-01-18 19:22

I think the colour scheme is supposed to be that, it gives the vibe of an unpleasant place from each you want to escape. I think it gives the correct atmosphere to the island. And it gives a bigger emphasis to Mathias tired, impatient and ruthless state of mind.

For all intentions and purpose, colour schemes are only supposed to make things look pleasant and pretty if the intended purpose is for the audience to feel they're in a pleasant place. This can work for Jumanji to make the contrast of it being a videogame environment you want to explore (good thing), yet you can actually die because you're on it (bad thing). And that's not the intention they have for Yamatai. Yamatai should be a bad place. And it looks like a bad place. They have great cinematographers working on the movie, if they wanted the island to look pretty and vibrant, they would make it.

Then again, I'm colour blind so I may be talking bull**** here :p

tombstone 19-01-18 19:29

It's also been 10 years since lara had big boobs, you'd hink those weirdos who obssessed over lara's body would have moved on.

Trenton 19-01-18 20:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Portugalraider (Post 7814312)
But more than Daniel Craig as James Bond, I think this is going to be more of a situation similar to Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman. Even the negative comments are basically the same (she doesn't look like Wonder Woman, she looks to skinny, where are the boobs, Linda Carter is the only Wonder Woman for me, yada yada yada), then people actually saw her in action, acting the role and were sold. The same is happening to Alicia and I bet the end result will be the same: Alicia will become the quintessential live-action Lara Croft for this generation.

Of course she will. There are no other live-action Lara Crofts this generation so it's not like she faces any competition whatsoever.

PinkyPromise 19-01-18 20:28

I want to it be a sucess and we could have a sequel without family dramas! pleaseeee. I need a simple adventure like The dagger of Xian. we have been 11 years with dramas of Lara and her family (since Legend). First the mother later the father. STOP.

I always liked Lara’s original origin story - she was disowned by her parents because they wanted her to focus on her aristocratic duties but she was just really into grave robbing. Dead parents are a cliche... I think it would have worked better in the cinema. A young woman who renounces privileges for pursuing her dream of archeology.

Portugalraider 19-01-18 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trenton (Post 7814369)
Of course she will. There are no other live-action Lara Crofts this generation so it's not like she faces any competition whatsoever.

Did Linda Carter had any competition for Wonder Woman? Did Adam West for Batman? On the contrary, do you consider either Chris Evans or Micheal B Jordan as the quintessential live-action Johnny Storm?

It's not about having or not competition, it's about letting a mark on people's mind. Linda and Adam were able to do that on their times. Angelina did the same with Lara on hers. Gal Gadot, even with her initial backlash (again, very similar to the backlash Alicia has, which is slowly disappearing), is doing the same now. And for what we've seem of Alicia as Lara, I think she is going to do the same.

James_Rutland 19-01-18 20:39

I'd love to see what they would do with a sequel to this movie. I hope the movie is a success and that Alicia would be happy to return to the role. I'd love at least 3 movies. An arc.

Trenton 19-01-18 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Portugalraider (Post 7814373)
Did Linda Carter had any competition for Wonder Woman? Did Adam West for Batman? On the contrary, do you consider either Chris Evans or Micheal B Jordan as the quintessential live-action Johnny Storm?

It's not about having or not competition, it's about letting a mark on people's mind. Linda and Adam were able to do that on their times. Angelina did the same with Lara on hers. Gal Gadot, even with her initial backlash (again, very similar to the backlash Alicia had, which is slowly disappearing), is doing the same now. And for what we've seem of Alicia as Lara, I think she is going to do the same.

My point is she has no competition as live-action Lara Croft of this generation. They could literally cast anyone as Lara Croft in the reboot film and that individual would by default become the quintessential live-action Lara Croft of this generation. Simply because there are no other.

Portugalraider 19-01-18 20:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trenton (Post 7814375)
My point is she has no competition as live-action Lara Croft of this generation. They could literally cast anyone as Lara Croft in the reboot film and that individual would by default become the quintessential live-action Lara Croft of this generation. Simply because there are no other.

Again, did you even read my post? Yes, she is the only live action Lara. But she won't the the quintessential live-action Lara Croft if people don't hear the name Lara Croft and associate it to Alicia. Or vice-versa. The examples I gave did not become the quintessential live-action version of those characters just because there was no competition. They became that because they were truly memorable and people truly liked to see them as the characters.

Just being Lara Croft doesn't mean ****. You have to do more, give something more. Something that people will like and remember. And I think Alicia will deliver that.

PinkyPromise 19-01-18 20:53

Ugggg

http://pro.boxoffice.com/long-range-...er-love-simon/

Predict: 22$ opening 55$ box office US. Very bad : (


All times are GMT. The time now is 17:31.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.