www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider Level Editor (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Protected by the Dead (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=194452)

Matie 02-10-12 08:54

Protected by the Dead

Hello everyone! :wve:

Most of you might still remember that almost one and a half years ago there was a competition held, called One Room Competition. I had a lot of fun working on my entry for the contest and after the release I've received some very encouraging comments about turning it into a full adventure. I started working on it, but then stopped for a very long time, barely touched it for about a year or so due to having no inspiration. In the last few days I felt like working on it again, now trying to make it playable for the Hungarian TR Meeting.

Updated screenshots (click for bigger size):

The first trailer:

Older shots from the Screenshot Showcase thread: [01] [02] [03] [04]

An older, outdated video: http://youtu.be/Jhkvg74-Ky4
Trap teaser: https://youtu.be/O65VtI6Usck

Please let me know what you think!:)

DJ Full 02-10-12 09:25

If You didn't say a word about the stairs, I wouldn't have noticed there's something wrong with them... Well, honestly I still can't see what You meant. Lighting?

OMG, Germans have their meeting, Dutch and Hungarian do as well, and what do we do in Poland? NOTHING! Someday it's gotta change...

-Roli- 02-10-12 09:38

Everything looks great! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matie (Post 6460428)
Now trying to make it playable for the Hungarian TR Meeting.

Can't wait to play it there :jmp::cln:

jungle raider 02-10-12 10:10

I am gonna play this one for sure! :D

Pipe 02-10-12 11:39

Wow Matie, this is amazing! :cln:

Richard_Croft 02-10-12 14:16

It looks so TRU-ish :cln:
Can't wait to play it
:D

Luke_ 02-10-12 14:34

Love the atmosphere! So spooky yet beautiful. Will play it for sure. :)

sackboy123 02-10-12 14:35

Looks great so far :jmp:

SteeleRaider 02-10-12 15:15

Looking nice Matie! Very atmospheric, looking forward to seeing more!

Die Basis 02-10-12 16:06

Wow, looks great!!!:D

How could you alter the you tube windows with round corners and shadow?:confused:

Tombraider95 02-10-12 16:36

wow! It's awesome! Loving the blue flames, fits with the atmosphere :tmb:

Zolee 02-10-12 19:33

I love it! Keep up the great work! :tmb:

Matie 02-10-12 21:29

Thank you all so much, I'm glad you like it!:hug:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Full (Post 6460458)
If You didn't say a word about the stairs, I wouldn't have noticed there's something wrong with them... Well, honestly I still can't see what You meant. Lighting?

Whoopsies.:D
Well, it's mainly the textures, it's pretty much messed up at the moment, I'll also have to add some lighting to it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by -Roli- (Post 6460474)
Everything looks great! :D

Can't wait to play it there :jmp::cln:

Thanks Roli, I'm also very excited to play Rev. IV, it looks unbelievably amazing!!:tmb:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Die Basis (Post 6460977)
Wow, looks great!!!:D

How could you alter the you tube windows with round corners and shadow?:confused:

Thank you! :) I simply took an image of the embedded video, edited it so it's got round corner and drop-shadow, replaced the video with the image and linked the video to it. :)

Level NextGen 02-10-12 22:52

Wow excited :jmp:

The short level was really GREAT! And I'm sure you will even acheived something better with this one. :D

Mytly 03-10-12 18:49

Oh wow, this looks great, Matie. :tmb: I'm looking forward to this very much. :)

almayah 03-10-12 19:01

Nice work :tmb:

Matie 04-10-12 09:52

Thank you!! :)

@Kentin: ooh, thanks for playing it, I'm glad you enjoyed it!:D

MrJavi94 04-10-12 11:11

Oh, stunning work, Matie! :tmb: I am really looking forward to this pretty much. :)

klona 04-10-12 11:44

It looks really good, Matie! :eek:

Matie 14-06-14 11:47

1,5 years later... thank you!:)

I'm in a bit of a trouble with this one. Now I'm interested in building again, I found a backup of the project hidden in a Dropbox folder. It looks like the fixed-up version I made for the hungarian meeting is lost, I have to redo some things and fix a lot of stuff. >.< I really don't feel like doing that, though I'd really love to finish the level.

Anyway, I thought I'd drop a small screenie. I wish you could see this in motion already, you'll see why whenever it's done, I hope :)

Dunnut7 14-06-14 11:51

I loved the short version, so an extended version sounds very intriguing!

CelticGuard 14-06-14 16:32

Very intriguing :) I haven't played the earlier one if you had released it, but I'll definitely keep an eye on this thread if you release the new version. Not sure if you were going for it, but it really captures an underworld sort of feel perfectly.

Just one thing though, instead of a 'fake' YouTube link, you can embed the video in the first post instead. YouTube now also allows us to set our own thumbnails in case that was the reason you didn't.

bigfoot 14-06-14 16:49

Good luck with this project Matie, I have really enjoying the first one with one room.:)

klona 14-06-14 20:41

Interesting! Nice screenshot, it looks good. :)

Mytly 18-06-14 17:42

Wow, looks great. :tmb:

Tombraider95 18-06-14 17:56

Didn't even manage to finish testing since I was nervous about the spikes :facepalm:

Hope you finish this! Can't go to waste! :D

TheTiger 18-06-14 19:37

Matie, a shame i don't have the finished version anymore. I could've send it to you. :(
But i can still tell the others how fabulous this play was. :hug: :pi:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...s/fabolous.gif

^Llama agrees, obviously.

Matie 09-01-17 19:59

Sooo an additional 2 and a half years later... :whi:
Thank you so much for your comments! Sorry for being so late. :o I have some new screenshots though, yay!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CelticGuard (Post 7094161)
Not sure if you were going for it, but it really captures an underworld sort of feel perfectly.

I was, glad to know it works out! :) About the YouTube link, I'm not quite sure about the reason, I think I just wanted to have a stylish image instead. I might update the first post once I have more progress on this level.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombraider95 (Post 7098348)
Didn't even manage to finish testing since I was nervous about the spikes :facepalm:

Spikes? I don't know what you're talking about... :p
(They weren't even moving tho :innocent: )

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTiger (Post 7098472)
Matie, a shame i don't have the finished version anymore. I could've send it to you. :(
But i can still tell the others how fabulous this play was. :hug: :pi:

Aw, thank you Dennis!:hug: Thankfully I think I managed to fix most of the things since then (veeery slowly).

So what I have now is all fixed up and working, I've made a new bigger trap room and made some cosmetic changes to the level. The first level is close to be finished gameplay-wise, there's going to be one more that I haven't started building yet.

http://i.imgur.com/ST5QLTx.jpg

I'm experimenting with the distance fog now, I'm not sure about it. I think I prefer the fog than no fog, but it also changes the dead-and-abandoned atmosphere slightly and compensates for the dark dull lighting. (The trees in the distance look horrible this way, however :/ [image] I don't want to up the distance much.)

So here's how the main area looks with fog:
http://i.imgur.com/dDzrTdg.jpg
(Pic from the first post for comparison: http://i.imgur.com/9n6T0.jpg)

See you in 3,5 years! (Well I hope not, I want this to be released by then :vlol:)

SrDanielPonces 09-01-17 20:00

I am jealous of your work.

aidanmalone 09-01-17 20:01

Beautiful! Better late than never :) Hoping to see some more progress soon!

Tombraider95 09-01-17 20:27

Your exam is on Wednesday, get back to studying! :smk:

----

But it looks great. Fog is a must for nearly every level. :tmb: I hope you have time to finish this.. and that other level for me you "started" :whi::p

DJ Full 09-01-17 22:29

It looks much more ominous with the black fadeout not the fog.
I would also get rid of the middle transverse beam on the pillars.
The gate would look epic and monumental, like guarding something.

Remember with TRNG the fog is not a dilemma anymore.
Just enable VolFX switch under a keyboard command.
And make a level worth replaying in both looks :)

maax87 10-01-17 11:04

Wow. It looks phenomenal! :eek:

Axell 10-01-17 15:39

This is gorgeous! :eek:

And about the fog, I prefer it to having no fog at all. Maybe adjust the colour a bit to match the horizon to fix that tree issue. Though, it shouldn't be much of a problem if you set the distance far view to the maximum.

Alex Fly 10-01-17 16:32

This project looks great (I'm discovering it... :o :p). I'm particularly impressed by the atmosphere coming from those sceneries. :tmb:

AgentXP 10-01-17 18:06

Thrilled to see that you're still working on this, it looks stunning, :jmp: please keep up the good work, I sooooo wanna play this :P

indigo15 12-01-17 00:31

Beautiful work, Matie! The new screenshots look wonderful! :D

Matie 14-01-17 11:57

Thanks so much for the feedback, I'm glad you like it! :)

@SrDanielPonces: Ah don't be, it's a mess :p Managed to clear most of it up by now though.

@Tombraider95: Me too, me too...:whi: At least this level is keeping me motivated for now. :D And hehe thanks, I'm really happy with the grades I got, now to finish (or actually start working on) my thesis...:admles:

@DJ Full: True, but I kind of need those beams, as there's some gameplay on the upper part. Without the beams, you'd see the empty horizon. Thanks for the tip about the switch, it's the perfect solution, I'll do that!

@Axell: Thank you! :) It does match the horizon in most parts, it only looks off when the trees are too high up and you see the black part of the sky, not the lighter blue part.

I think I managed to get a good balance with the fog, I toned it down a little - I'll still include a keyboard command that lets you turn it off, as DJ Full suggested, so that everyone can adjust it to their preference. I made a lot of progress yesterday, I updated a couple of objects and fixed lots of things.

I'd say the first level is about 90% done. The loading screen (click to view in full size):

http://i.imgur.com/swRvyH1.png

Alex Fly 14-01-17 12:03

Wow this loading screen looks great ! That tree... :cln:

Raider99 14-01-17 14:50

Looking lovely! :tmb: :D