www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Shadow of the Tomb Raider (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Shadow of the Tomb Raider - General Chat (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=219557)

Tombraider95 12-08-20 22:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Portugalraider (Post 8229165)
If anything, TR2013 should have the the only game set as Lara's origin story, with RotTR, SotTR and a possible TR4 set as a "Trinity trilogy". As in RotTR is the game Lara and Trinity stumble upon each other, SotTR is the game Lara goes after Trinity to avenge her father but ends up moving on, and Reboot 4 as the game Trinity strikes back at Lara, only for Lara ending it for good because they just couldn't bring themselves to just leave Lara be.

I agree that 2013 should have only been her origin story, but I don't like the idea of there then being 3 games involving trinity drama. That's just long. Game 4 being about Trinity's revenge on Lara? Nah, I really don't care about this organisation and they shouldn't be priority to a Tomb Raider story. Let the story be about Lara discovering new locations, artifacts and meeting different types of characters/villains along the way. Rather than just having 3 games involving the same boring organisation involving drama with her father.

I think any games going forward need to be completely standalone. So there's a start, middle and end to a consistent story, without having to rely on new people to wrap up a storyline.

Portugalraider 12-08-20 22:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombraider95 (Post 8229306)
I agree that 2013 should have only been her origin story, but I don't like the idea of there then being 3 games involving trinity drama. That's just long. Game 4 being about Trinity's revenge on Lara? Nah, I really don't care about this organisation and they shouldn't be priority to a Tomb Raider story. Let the story be about Lara discovering new locations, artifacts and meeting different types of characters/villains along the way. Rather than just having 3 games involving the same boring organisation involving drama with her father.

I think any games going forward need to be completely standalone. So there's a start, middle and end to a consistent story, without having to rely on new people to wrap up a storyline.

This was just something quickly off of my head, mind, not something that I necessarily want/wanted. Hell, maybe because the games wouldn't need to also focus on Lara's origin, more time could have been used to develop Trinity into an organization interesting enough to be explored for multiple games. This hypothetical Trinity doesn't necessarily needs to be the same Trinity we got.

Without having the origin angle, maybe the parental drama could have been ditched as well, and made it all about Lara and Trinity's own conflict: maybe switch the order and SotTR could have been the game that cements that Trinity doesn't really want to leave Lara alone, and because of that, the hypothetical reboot 4 would be the game about Lara hunting down Trinity to finish them off for good.

Besides, that "Trinity just won't leave Lara alone" was something explored in the "Survivor's Crusade" comics, and it actually made their relation with Lara a bit more interesting. Lara actively spends an entire year trying to get away from them and everything, but they still kept watching Lara just in case she stumbled upon something they were also interested in so they could kill her afterwards. Maybe it would have been interesting to see that aspect explored in an actual game, which wasn't possible because Trinity was introduced to the games in RotTR, and someone somewhere decided that they had to be eliminated by the next game.

GeorgiaAnneUK 13-08-20 08:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by puristic jink (Post 8229290)
Shadow of the tomb raider what to make of it it certainly did have some promising aspects but Pititi kinda destroyed the flow for me also it looks way bigger than it is not sure that pititi was in the spirit of Tomb Raider very much excluding the hidden Tombs.

agree agree agree agree agree.

I absolutely DEVOURED the first half of the game before Paititi - it was about to become my most favourite Tomb Raider game of all. The first half has everything I ever wanted out of the reboot and I was living for it.

Then in comes Paititi and zzzzzzzzzzzz.

SophieAyase 14-08-20 04:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombraider95 (Post 8229306)

Tea. Sadly, I don't think anyone involved is smart enough to realize that history is going to keep repeating itself.

AshesBorn 17-08-20 10:46

Replaying SOTTR rn. It's been quite a while, so it feels nice to take a fresh look at the game. The pressure of being the last installment of the origins trilogy and EM inheriting two games' worth of baggage did Shadow no favors when it came out, but even with its flaws, it has cemented itself as my favorite Reboot game.

All the crypts and tombs are delicious, plus Lara doesn't come off like such a buzzkill most of the time (*cough*Rise*cough*). I appreciate that the writing actually has some nice dynamics to it, with a bit of humour sprinkled in, as opposed to Rise's monotony. I know the fans, me included, wanted to see a bit more Classic Lara by the end of the game, but Shadow Lara is still quite enjoyable in her own right if you already know what you're gonna get. I think people downplay just how badass she is, too - the girl gets mauled by a jaguar, kills it, and keeps going like it's nothing.

I understand why Paititi is almost universally hated here, however after the disappointment that was Kitezh for me, it's an upgrade in my books. While I would prefer for it to have much fewer NPCs or be completely uninhabited, at least it's not being patrolled by a reskin of the Stormguard, blocking exploration at every turn.

One thing that I really hate, though, is the overabundance of collectibles. Not only can I not take two steps without stumbling onto a relic/document/cache/monolith/etc, I was fully stocked on resources shortly after reaching Kuwaq Yaku. The maps are so ridiculously littered with junk, that "finding" it doesn't feel rewarding at all. Even Underworld's endless supply of pots looks scarce in comparison. Eventually, I just decided to ignore a lot of the pickups, which hurts my completionist soul, but makes the game flow way better.

Platforming definitely needs an overhaul, it's just so weightless and floaty (get rid of that ugly wall scramble please). Sometimes Lara will levitate to ledges clearly out of her reach, other times she will fail to register the ones that are right in front of her and fall to her death. :o That issue is not limited to Shadow though.

But yeah... all in all, still the best the Reboot trilogy has got to offer imo.

Gemma Darkmoon 18-08-20 00:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgiaAnneUK (Post 8229345)

I absolutely DEVOURED the first half of the game before Paititi - it was about to become my most favourite Tomb Raider game of all. The first half has everything I ever wanted out of the reboot and I was living for it.

I think that's pretty much how I felt. I was really enjoying it in the first few sections and later in the oil well sections.

LateRaider 18-08-20 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by AshesBorn (Post 8230092)
amazing post trimmed for brevity

love this take. cosigned. thank you for this post ♥

puristic jink 21-08-20 15:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgiaAnneUK (Post 8229345)

Yep there was so much potential there wasted sadly with those corny sidequests in Paititi that I didn't much care for at all.

jajay119 22-08-20 00:09

I know people say you don't have to do the side quests and I get that but even they're more interesting and less time consuming in the rest of the game. Paititi really slows the gameplay and narrative down a lot here and takes it in a bit of a different direction. I think it would have been better to spend only a little bit of time in Paititi then see a cataclism effect it more severely. That would have tied in the main story more and had Paititi feeling more of a ruin like Vilcabamba or something. I always liked how eerie the small village just outside of Paitit was - I'd have liked more of that. It was pretty but it was just too big and a bit boring. For your generic open world game it's fine. For TR not so much.

Patrick star 22-08-20 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by AshesBorn (Post 8230092)
I understand why Paititi is almost universally hated here, however after the disappointment that was Kitezh for me, it's an upgrade in my books. While I would prefer for it to have much fewer NPCs or be completely uninhabited, at least it's not being patrolled by a reskin of the Stormguard, blocking exploration at every turn.

It was evident Kitezh wasn't meant to be fully explored on the first run , it's like Crystal went "okay , you want to explore everything and go against the urgent flow of events ? face the consequences !" , that's why you had Lara uttering something along the lines of "too bad there's too much to see ! I'll have to come back later" on the first playthrough of the city , and here I'll compliment the "post-campaign" mode of Rise , it was a literal post-campaign mode , meaning that at first you had a cutscene with Sophia in the valley providing her closure about Jacob and setting Lara up for a free roaming in the environments in a way that made sense and didn't seem unbelievable by responding to Sophia's "there's so much left to do" by "and there's so much to be discovered !" followed by an in-game notification literally saying "Explore !" , and honestly , that's when I did more than 50% of the exploration , I headcannoned that Lara , being the tombs and archaeology addict she is would be more than willing to go back to every ancient space and tomb and not leave any stone unturned , and the game supported that (it was also very cool re-visiting environments in different times of day and weathers and having all locations maintain the effects of the main plot on them like having the huge hole in the glacier above Kitezh still there and whatnot).

It was a shame that Shadow's "post-campaign" mode was incredibly lame , you're weirdly transported to a point right before the "point of no return" and before the big battle , it didn't feel natural , believable , consistent or satisfying to calmly explore everything when all hell was breaking loose out there . And the lack of respawning enemies is the cherry on top .

And honestly , even without all that I think Kitezh is light years ahead of Paititi , I even think it's the best hub in the trilogy (I even made a thread about this unpopular opinion) . It's literally the only hub from the 3 reboot games that incorporated cool puzzle elements and made them mandatory to progress through the hub (the trebuchets) let alone its marvelous visuals ,eerie atmosphere and excellent level of freedom and interactivity (everything that looks climbable actually is and endless routes for platforming and exploration) , even with some of its flaws like intense combat (which is expected being the epilogue of the game) it's still better than a huge-ass village that looks pretty but is comprised of nothing but running up and down muddy slopes , being prohibited from drawing a weapon , and constantly bumping into annoying inhabitants and having to endure their incessant blabbing .