www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Future of Tomb Raider (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   General Chat (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=221734)

.snake. 14-10-21 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by LNSNHGTDS (Post 8324857)
The first few notes (the "dun, dun dun dun" are present in all themse songs, they're just altered (slowed down, covered by other tunes etc.) each time to fit the overall tone of the song. In Legend you can hear it during the "Ave Maria" part, in the Reboot it's a bit more complicated but it's still there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIqvSNDIlTs

0:36 it's the same dun, dun dun dun but it's a bit overshadowed by the rest of the song and made more dramatic and Hollywood movie-ish, which is kinda appropriate given the tone of the game lol. Same goes for Rise and Shadow. It's obviously not as evident as in the Classics, Anniversary or Underworld but it's still hidden in all of them which I think is kinda neat, it's one of the things that are constantly present in the games.

I'll definitely agree with you that the theme in TR2013 (and onwards) is reminiscent of the original classic theme, but it's simply not the same notes like in games 1-6 and LAU. I do like the melancholy twist the TR2013 has to the classic notes, but I really think that from here on out they should bring back the original theme, and perhaps mix it with the newer theme, creating something like this (but less melancholy for a new Lara):


LNSNHGTDS 14-10-21 18:14

I agree. We need something that is both nostalgic but also fresh.

The song on its own is instantly recognisable by now and it's just too awesome to not have it present.

I also wish the secret chime would return. I love that sound. I currently have it as my message notification on messenger lol.

.snake. 14-10-21 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by LNSNHGTDS (Post 8324871)
I also wish the secret chime would return. I love that sound. I currently have it as my message notification on messenger lol.

I have it as my text message notification on iPhone. :D

And yeah, the secret chime needs to return, and not just as an Easter egg. In fact, secrets in general should return as opposed to 10,000 other collectibles.

Portugalraider 14-10-21 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by LNSNHGTDS (Post 8324871)
I agree. We need something that is both nostalgic but also fresh.

The song on its own is instantly recognisable by now and it's just too awesome to not have it present.

I also wish the secret chime would return. I love that sound. I currently have it as my message notification on messenger lol.

I feel like the secret tune could easily return as like the theme that plays whenever Lara enters a challenge tomb or a crypt (if they stop warning 5 miles ahead that you are near a challenge tomb). Could be a nice way to bring that tune back.

Also, speaking about the main themes, I've been saying since TR2013 that they could start using the classic theme as the "Theme of Tomb Raider" and the reboot one as the "Theme of Lara Croft". I think it would be a neat way to tie both themes together in the franchise.

Raider8 14-10-21 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Portugalraider (Post 8324876)
...if they stop warning 5 miles ahead that you are near a challenge tomb...

LMAO! Agreeeeed! The problem with the reboot games. She stands miles away from a mysterious cave and the game goes: "ting ring ring ring ring..........." Challenge Tomb Nearby! That's just plain stupid. It works fine for the first game 2013 but should be left on the players for the later games. She sees a cave, ignores it. Okay. She again comes across the cave, the player goes to check out and boom "Unknown Area - Explore to find out more" message and then proceeding further to again see a message like "Ancient Cistern". That's how tombs should've worked.

But then again. Some people are such jerks or stupid as a lot of the general modern Tomb Raider players don't even explore and give a **** to the challenge tombs and sometimes don't even know if there's a place nearby at all. Tombs, which are a core part of the Tomb Raiding experience.

Portugalraider 14-10-21 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider8 (Post 8324881)
LMAO! Agreeeeed! The problem with the reboot games. She stands miles away from a mysterious cave and the game goes: "ting ring ring ring ring..........." Challenge Tomb Nearby! That's just plain stupid. It works fine for the first game 2013 but should be left on the players for the later games. She sees a cave, ignores it. Okay. She again comes across the cave, the player goes to check out and boom "Unknown Area - Explore to find out more" message and then proceeding further to again see a message like "Ancient Cistern". That's how tombs should've worked.

But then again. Some people are such jerks or stupid as a lot of the general modern Tomb Raider players don't even explore and give a **** to the challenge tombs and sometimes don't even know if there's a place nearby at all. Tombs, which are a core part of the Tomb Raiding experience.

Honestly, I have no problem that some players won't go looking for the challenge tombs unless the game tells you they are there. It's not like games famous for their boss battles like Dark Souls tell you that you are near an optional boss.

As long as the main story still has a great share of quite interesting tombs/temples to explore and/or solve, personally I think the more hidden the challenge tombs are, the better. It would make exploring hubs and smaller main areas much more rewarding.

Chamayoo 14-10-21 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider8 (Post 8324881)
LMAO! Agreeeeed! The problem with the reboot games. She stands miles away from a mysterious cave and the game goes: "ting ring ring ring ring..........." Challenge Tomb Nearby! That's just plain stupid. It works fine for the first game 2013 but should be left on the players for the later games.

Why would the first game getting a pass here ? If it's wrong, it's wrong for all games. :pi:

Portugalraider 14-10-21 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chamayoo (Post 8324890)
Why would the first game getting a pass here ? If it's wrong, it's wrong for all games. :pi:

I kind of find it less intrusive in TR2013 in a weird way.

Like, when the game was telling you you were near a challenge tomb, you'd already be quite near the entrance of the tomb, with very visible runes pointing towards the entrance. Like, it was so agressively visible that one more very aggressive thing reminding you when you were really near one didn't seem like a nuisance.

In RotTR and SotTR though, the visual cues that you are near a tomb are discreet enough that if you didn't have the "tomb nearby" warnings, nor were actively looking for them, you probably wouldn't even notice. Which is made worse by the warning actually happening sometimes quite far from the entrance, especially in RotTR.

Vaskito 14-10-21 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Portugalraider (Post 8324893)
I kind of find it less intrusive in TR2013 in a weird way.

Like, when the game was telling you you were near a challenge tomb, you'd already be quite near the entrance of the tomb, with very visible runes pointing towards the entrance. Like, it was so agressively visible that one more very aggressive thing reminding you when you were really near one didn't seem like a nuisance.

In RotTR and SotTR though, the visual cues that you are near a tomb are discreet enough that if you didn't have the "tomb nearby" warnings, nor were actively looking for them, you probably wouldn't even notice. Which is made worse by the warning actually happening sometimes quite far from the entrance, especially in RotTR.

Funnily enough I missed a Crypt entrance in ROTTR the first time around because it was very well hidden, in soviet installation. The one you need to squeeze through a wall to reach, down from the campfire

Portugalraider 14-10-21 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaskito (Post 8324899)
Funnily enough I missed a Crypt entrance in ROTTR the first time around because it was very well hidden, in soviet installation. The one you need to squeeze through a wall to reach, down from the campfire

Those cripts were always my favourite to find because of that: I only found them because I decided to explore and see what I could do and if there was something interesting nearby. Imagine if the challenge tombs also worked that way, it would feel amazing finding them!


All times are GMT. The time now is 14:44.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.