www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Future of Tomb Raider (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   General Chat (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=221734)

AntRaidsTombs 05-11-21 02:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Lulu (Post 8329113)
A real writer.

Well I will write it then lol.

Lord Lulu 05-11-21 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by AntRaidsTombs (Post 8329118)
Well I will write it then lol.

Sounds good to me.:hug: If I knew how to write well I would do it.

On a more serious note: The problem I have with the writing is it does not match the gameplay. At lest in the 2013 reboot. In Rise it was just bland and boring. I would nominate Timothy Zahn, but he is in his 70s now.

jeffrey van oort 05-11-21 13:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombraider95 (Post 8325032)
tbh I think the more effort they put in the worse it gets because the gameplay and the grind is what the problem is for me. And that isn't going to be fixed by a delay. The style of gameplay they've chosen is just not my cup of tea at all. If it just had a normal level system like Lara Croft Go it would be different. It's just a shame.

Would you say it is a Tomb Raider product (Tomb Raider gameplay) or a Lara Croft game? (A title featuring some version of Lara Croft?)

I would have preferred, not Reloaded, and that this one girl who can, would have continued with where the Angel of darkness had left us. This was requested by so many of the Tomb Raider community, amongst them a few tombraiderforums.com browsers. Plus Reloaded looks graphically like a videogame for a younger audience. In the past Tomb Raider seemed to be designed for young adults. This doesn't necessarily imply anything about how well it is going to do. But Lara Croft was always supposed to be non magical, and close to being realistic. Or at least have realistic proportions. Reloaded became too much of a difference in comparison with how the character Lara Croft had started. Regardless of what outfit she had sported in Reloaded. That doesn't mean it cannot be a nice game, but is this a Tomb Raider game? What I am saying is that if you get the gameplay like a Tomb Raider videogame in Reloaded, the graphical style that is chosen (and not liked, by me) Reloaded could pass, and maybe even liked after all. My opinion about Reloaded, at the moment is maybe not so much worth, but I've got a feeling that you know what to do with this.

Samz 05-11-21 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by AntRaidsTombs (Post 8329092)
Who would you guys want to help write the next TR game?

Ideally someone without dealing with Crystal overruling them.

While Rihana seemingly might not be great (Since she apparently still liked her script afterwards) Crystal forced alot of my biggest complaints with 2013's Story in.

Lara killing dozens of dudes without her first kill? Them because Rihana wanted Lara to actually throw away her first gun.

Sam living instead of dying? Them chickening out because playtesters complained.

malferink 06-11-21 04:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samz (Post 8329329)
Ideally someone without dealing with Crystal overruling them.

While Rihana seemingly might not be great (Since she apparently still liked her script afterwards) Crystal forced alot of my biggest complaints with 2013's Story in.

Lara killing dozens of dudes without her first kill? Them because Rihana wanted Lara to actually throw away her first gun.

Sam living instead of dying? Them chickening out because playtesters complained.

like josph anderson said in one of his two TR videos, the reboot series is so close to being great that it's disappointing to play (i'm paraphrasing here lol)

.snake. 06-11-21 05:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samz (Post 8329329)
Ideally someone without dealing with Crystal overruling them.

While Rihana seemingly might not be great (Since she apparently still liked her script afterwards) Crystal forced alot of my biggest complaints with 2013's Story in.

Lara killing dozens of dudes without her first kill? Them because Rihana wanted Lara to actually throw away her first gun.

Sam living instead of dying? Them chickening out because playtesters complained.

I am trying to understand this.

Rihanna Pratchett wanted Lara to throw away her gun after her first kill and people think she would’ve made the story better if she had had more power?

Samz 06-11-21 09:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by .snake. (Post 8329382)
I am trying to understand this.

Rihanna Pratchett wanted Lara to throw away her gun after her first kill and people think she would’ve made the story better if she had had more power?

Because she'd presumably do so out of disgust and horror at killing someone?

Kinda similar to how Anniversary Lara actually very clearly hesitated to fight Kold and The Kid after killing Larson.

Instead of the "Oh no! Anyway" style 2013 does, where she just starts caping dudes right after for that sweet headshot EXP.

It makes more sense than the moments in the final games where she does stupid stuff. (Like using a Bow to rescue Sam and getting captured due to it since she's trying to use a bow against a crowd and not the handgun she has.)

Ellioft 06-11-21 12:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by .snake. (Post 8329382)
I am trying to understand this.

Rihanna Pratchett wanted Lara to throw away her gun after her first kill and people think she would’ve made the story better if she had had more power?

I remember to have read Lara's keeping a gun after her first kill was a decision made with the players in mind because once you have a weapon in your inventory peoples want to shoot with it no matter what.

Let's see If I can find that part

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...fts-kill-count

"It's about balancing the needs of gameplay with the needs of narrative. The needs of narrative don't always trump the needs of gameplay," Pratchett explained. "In fact, it's usually the other way around. And so I'd say from a narrative perspective, we would have liked the ramp-up to be a bit slower.

"But, you know, there are other factors to be considered! When players get a gun, they generally want to use the gun. We were brave in going such a long time without giving players a gun in a game where you end up doing a lot of shooting. We tried to innovate a little bit, but narrative can't always win. Ideally if you can find a sweet spot, that's great. But sometimes combat, or gameplay or whatever, has to win out."

Mani_Man 07-11-21 08:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by .snake. (Post 8329382)
I am trying to understand this.

Rihanna Pratchett wanted Lara to throw away her gun after her first kill and people think she would’ve made the story better if she had had more power?

Ellioft posted already a link where Rhianna herself explained it, and it makes much sense in terms of the basic idea TR2013 had.

I hated how fast the game suddenly turned into a shooting range and didnt let the player and Lara hang onto her first kill for longer.
Lara was a very innocent character at the beginning, so her first time killing another person, could have impacted her so much stronger and could have given the story a whole different feeling.

You could have tackled so many serious topics with the Reboot trilogy if you would have given Rhianna free reign on it.

She is a fantastic writer and especially with Lara, had brilliant ideas.
But SE wasnt ready for that.

Hell you could even have used TR2013 as it was and follwed Rise fully with a PTSD story.
Because you can explain how fast TR2013 turns by Lara needing to safe her friends, lara pushing forward to get off the island and all, locking away her first murder etc and letting it out in Rise fully then.

Cooler things could have been done story and character wise...but SE didnt had the guts for it.

.snake. 07-11-21 08:44

Thanks for the responses and insights guys.

The only real solution to that conundrum which I can see though is that TR2013 was made to be a heavily combat focused shooting game. So of course it makes sense that she has to have a gun very soon and move on from her first kill quickly.

If the entire game had been a no-weapons game, focused only on exploration, platforming, and puzzles (like an expanded version of the TR5 Ireland segment) then it would've perhaps made sense for everything to build up to, and lead to, Lara's first kill and getting her guns at the end. But that would've been an entirely different game. However, it would have given her character a chance to develop from survivor to killer.

If the entire game had been centered around the bow and Lara only killing animal enemies, leading up to a major human kill towards the end and Lara getting her first gun(s) that way, it could've also worked with her gradually transforming from survivor/animal hunter to killer/human murderer (it's what Anniversary tried to do, but in a rather laughable and superficial way, by making Larson her first kill).

I think both of those above scenarios could've worked, and might even have been amazing TR games. But, in the end, they wanted to make a shooting game, so here we are.

I also think people blow Rhianna Pratchett a bit out of proportion. As someone guilty of loving AOD both for what it is, but more-so for what it could have been, I understand this and am not judging. I get the idea of being 'in love' with potential.

But honestly, I think people overdo it a bit with Rhianna Pratchett. I don't think Heavenly Sword has a good story; Mirror's Edge has an awful story; the Dark Horse TR comics are exceptionally superficial and do ZERO to further the plot or Lara's character; and the dialogue in TR2013 is often terribly disjointed, unrealistic, and overly dramatic - so I'm sorry to say but I personally haven't seen anything from Rhianna that makes me go "Wow, I really wish she would've had more free-reign with the story."


All times are GMT. The time now is 13:40.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.