www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   The Angel of Darkness (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Reborninshadow's Restored Voice Lines Project and More (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=226260)

reborninshadow 20-06-21 20:43

Reborninshadow's Restored Voice Lines Project and More

TRAOD Restoration Modpack

Includes:

- Added Dual Pistols (Vectors and Scorpion X) pickups in both Paris and Prague.
- Added many unused voice lines (35+) for both Lara & Kurtis and for other characters.
- Fixed various gameplay and visual bugs.
- Re-enabled many disabled enemies.
- Plot adjustments and additions to improve some of the plot issues and improve certain elements such as the notebook entries, which also have brand new images included to improve storytelling.
- Re-enabled various cut gameplay such as the X-Ray machine & improved some gameplay oversights.
- All additions have been made on top of Nakamichi's level fixes.

What is the Alternate Version?: The original version has less gameplay changes compared to the Alternate version. Some of the stuff the Alternate version includes:

Changed weapon placements to replicate the early ideas for AOD, meaning no lethal weapons early in the game. Also includes other adjustments such as fewer money pickups on the streets & various gameplay adjustments to make certain things less obvious. This version also has significantly increased amount of Vector clips.

Check the changelog for all the changes: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...f=true&sd=true

It is highly recommended that you install this on top of the TRAOD Rescued Modpack by LateRaider: https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...d.php?t=226179

Currently, this mod is made only with English language in mind. There will be text issues and potentially other issues on other languages.

V1.1 Release

Original: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OC4...w?usp=drivesdk
Alternate (Recommended): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1noj...w?usp=drivesdk

Please report any bugs encountered (that are caused by the mod) and feel free to give me feedback in this thread.

KNOWN ISSUES: In Parisian Ghetto if you use the radio first and then talk to Janice/Drug Dealer, the game may freeze. Make sure to talk to them first before using the radio until this is fixed.

Thanks to TRJTA for making all the new textures included in this mod and for giving me suggestions/feedback and a big thank you to Sasho648 and Nakamichi680 for creating amazing AOD modding tools! Credit goes to Dark Legend and PlagueDoctor for the modified CHR files.

Jathom95 20-06-21 21:15

I was already expecting this to be great anyway, but you've really went above and beyond with this! There's so much here that is going to make AOD feel more complete. I especially love how in the first level she mentions why she's heading into Derelict Apartment Block. Or the police audio and the radio newscast because they explain things either glossed over/not mentioned at all in the vanilla game. Same with the commando crawl dialogue.

This project is much appreciated, rest assured. Core's getting their work restored bit by bit after all these years. :)

reborninshadow 20-06-21 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jathom95 (Post 8305624)
I was already expecting this to be great anyway, but you've really went above and beyond with this! There's so much here that is going to make AOD feel more complete. I especially love how in the first level she mentions why she's heading into Derelict Apartment Block. Or the police audio and the radio newscast because they explain things either glossed over/not mentioned at all in the vanilla game. Same with the commando crawl dialogue.

This project is much appreciated, rest assured. Core's getting their work restored bit by bit after all these years. :)

Thanks! There are still some things that I haven't done yet that will improve the game a lot in my opinion, mainly readding some of the lines for Kurtis so that his character is a bit more fleshed out :)

Jathom95 20-06-21 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by reborninshadow (Post 8305631)
Thanks! There are still some things that I haven't done yet that will improve the game a lot in my opinion, mainly readding some of the lines for Kurtis so that his character is a bit more fleshed out :)

I'm really looking forward to that in particular. In addition to having all of his powers cut, Kurtis was so strangely silent in the vanilla game. I don't think a single bit of his ambient dialogue was actually used. That will improve his levels drastically.

Edit: Speaking of, is the exchange that was supposed to be between Lara and Kurtis in Cafe Metro able to be restored? The one where she asks him about Bouchard and he brushes her off. I'm not sure if that one was intended to be a cutscene or not, because if it was it would've been awfully short for three lines.

Lara: "Do you know the name Bouchard?"
Kurtis: "I'm just a stranger around here."
Lara: "Don't let me distract you from your paper."

UniMatrixXB 20-06-21 22:23

Wow this is incredible! Just a few days ago we received the AoD Rescue and now we have more of the original sound files restored, I'm so happy! :) I can't wait to use them in the game. Actually been replaying it already (right now at the Strahov) and now I have one more good reason to replay it yet again. A great way to celebrate AoDs birthday indeed! Thanks a lot @reborninshadows!:)

reborninshadow 20-06-21 22:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jathom95 (Post 8305632)
I'm really looking forward to that in particular. In addition to having all of his powers cut, Kurtis was so strangely silent in the vanilla game. I don't think a single bit of his ambient dialogue was actually used. That will improve his levels drastically.

Edit: Speaking of, is the exchange that was supposed to be between Lara and Kurtis in Cafe Metro able to be restored? The one where she asks him about Bouchard and he brushes her off. I'm not sure if that one was intended to be a cutscene or not, because if it was it would've been awfully short for three lines.

The audio files for that conversation are for some reason in the first beginning area of Parisian Ghetto so it's not a possibility :(

Jathom95 20-06-21 22:56

Oh wow, I didn't realize that. How strange. It was definitely intended for CM though, because that's literally what Kurtis is doing when you see him in there. Oh well.

reborninshadow 20-06-21 23:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jathom95 (Post 8305641)
Oh wow, I didn't realize that. How strange. It was definitely intended for CM though, because that's literally what Kurtis is doing when you see him in there. Oh well.

Pretty much all of the cut voice lines of the ghetto section are in that area. Maybe it's like that because at early development the different sections of the ghetto weren't seperated just yet? That's just a random guess though, who knows?

Jathom95 20-06-21 23:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by reborninshadow (Post 8305642)
Pretty much all of the cut voice lines of the ghetto section are in that area. Maybe it's like that because at early development the different sections of the ghetto weren't seperated just yet? That's just a random guess though, who knows?

That's actually probably more accurate than you think. Core intended to use a streaming engine for AOD that would allow for streaming levels in and out but had to rework it because it wouldn't work on the PS2, which was the lead development platform. Parisian Ghetto in particular was likely supposed to more or less be one big level.

It's how we ended up with the oddly segmented transitions in Parisian Ghetto in particular.

TRJTA 21-06-21 04:40

I'm thrilled to help out with this! Keep up the amazing work! Can't wait to see what more this will bring!

Jathom95 21-06-21 05:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRJTA (Post 8305661)
I'm thrilled to help out with this! Keep up the amazing work! Can't wait to see what more this will bring!

Thank you TRJTA for helping Reborn test them out and making suggestions, that's an important part of the process too. :)

ATombRaiderFan 21-06-21 07:45

It's incredible to see the removed dialogues getting added back in and it goes to show how cut-down AoD really was. Thank you for updating us and keep up the amazing work reborninshadow.

Jathom95 21-06-21 07:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATombRaiderFan (Post 8305672)
It's incredible to see the removed dialogues getting added back in and it goes to show how cut-down AoD really was. Thank you for updating us and keep up the amazing work reborninshadow.

It really is, because I can only imagine how it must've felt shipping out a game with less than half of the recorded dialogue you created for it.

I've been a bit overly excited since reborninshadow announced this project. But this game has been improved steadily in ways I never thought possible. Who would've known in 2003 that 18 years later this game would be fixed up so well by the community?

Edit: I just realized that I'm basically every other reply in this thread LOL. I guess excitement's putting it mildly at this point.

TRJTA 21-06-21 11:40

Yes these are definitely exciting times for AOD and it feels so good to get this game closer and closer to it's potential. It feels so much like justice. The need for justice is I think one of my biggest drives to work on the Definitive Edition. And it's a very strong passionate drive. Things never should have gone the way they did. The AOD trilogy had so much potential but a perfect storm of problems ruined it all and ripped the franchise out of the hands of it's original creators. It's just not fair. I'm glad to play a part in serving some justice.

ATombRaiderFan 21-06-21 13:43

In the radio scene of Von Croy's apartment the captions doesn't seem to keep up with the audio. Is it possible to sync captions to audio at this stage? I think a similar issue also happens in Margot Carvier's office.

Jathom95 21-06-21 14:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATombRaiderFan (Post 8305702)
In the radio scene of Von Croy's apartment the captions doesn't seem to keep up with the audio. Is it possible to sync captions to audio at this stage? I think a similar issue also happens in Margot Carvier's office.

If you're referring to how it takes a few seconds to move to the next part of the subtitles, I believe that's just how particularly long subtitles are handled in AOD for some reason. Every set of lines that's longer than one or two lines does this. Presumably to give you time to read them, though that's just a guess.

reborninshadow 21-06-21 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATombRaiderFan (Post 8305702)

As Jathom95 said, that's how the game handles long lines for some reason so I don't think there's much I can do about that.

Jathom95 21-06-21 15:05

I wish there was some way to fix the timing of that sound effect in Vault of Trophies. Strangely enough, it doesn't even play in vanilla, only with EAX enabled (because I'd never heard it before I released my EAX fix pack). But even after that, the sound lasts longer than the actual effect so it doesn't sync up.

I know it's not dialogue lol, this thread just got me to thinking about that.

KIKO 21-06-21 15:53

Iíve been waiting for someone to be able to do this! Excellent work! Let us know if you need help figuring out where some of the missing voice lines go. Not that we can be 100% sure of it but we can hazard a guess

Jathom95 21-06-21 16:26

Oh by the way Reborn, do you still plan to release your edits to Sasho's restored beta level, or will they be part of this anyway? I noticed in the video in the Parisian Back Streets portion that the level doesn't end at the bottom of the ladder like it usually does.

reborninshadow 21-06-21 16:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jathom95 (Post 8305723)
Oh by the way Reborn, do you still plan to release your edits to Sasho's restored beta level, or will they be part of this anyway? I noticed in the video in the Parisian Back Streets portion that the level doesn't end at the bottom of the ladder like it usually does.

For the default version, I'll release a version that doesn't have full access to the cut section but can visit some parts of it (I want the default one to be as polished as it can be so I don't want people visiting the area with the missing geometry etc.) but I will release an extra version as well with full access to that area for those who want it.

Jathom95 21-06-21 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by reborninshadow (Post 8305724)
For the default version, I'll release a version that doesn't have full access to the cut section but can visit some parts of it (I want the default one to be as polished as it can be so I don't want people visiting the area with the missing geometry etc.) but I will release an extra version as well with full access to that area for those who want it.

Sounds good. I'll probably try out the extra version anyway out of curiosity. But for regular playthroughs, the default will probably be standard for me. As you mentioned, more polished plus the main area has most of the benefit from the added dialogue now anyway.

LateRaider 21-06-21 19:35

wow, this is amazing, reborn! this is really making AoD feel more lived in. so excited for the release.

it gives me a new perspective on the comm chatter in TR:L too. it's like an extension of this cut ambient dialogue in TR:AoD.

red_lion 21-06-21 19:48

Just.. wow. Reborn :) It would be nice to see the audio restored in AoD. Lara should say a lot and Kurtis too.

I am eager to now how you did it. Because you need to add the trigger of the audio in the rmx?
Could you write a tutorial? Because knowledge = power :)

reborninshadow 21-06-21 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by red_lion (Post 8305750)
Just.. wow. Reborn :) It would be nice to see the audio restored in AoD. Lara should say a lot and Kurtis too.

I am eager to now how you did it. Because you need to add the trigger of the audio in the rmx?
Could you write a tutorial? Because knowledge = power :)

This is mostly done by editing existing triggers rather than adding new ones (not sure how adding new ones work at the moment). I may write a full tutorial once this mod is out but to explain in simple terms (by using RMXTool by Sasho):

Triggers that have the ID of 70 and the hash value of 2079308532 are for playing voice lines. The first option value is for the subtitle that pop ups and the second one is for the sound that will play. Both of these values roughly (but not exactly) follow the text file of the game so if we set the subtitle value to 1 for example, it will be "Expelled from Heaven, the Watchers walked amongst men, and upon the Earth bred a curse - an abomination of shadow." since that is the first one in text file.

mizuno_suisei 22-06-21 01:04

Sent author PM re AWD files.

I desperately need to be in the loop if a secondary AWD unpacker is created omg. Needs to be put to bed hahaha

PostArcade17 23-06-21 20:16

Edit simple:

"Lara: Excusi moa. Also excusi moa two."
---‐
₩₩₩
Maybe I missred other K. and C. documents in the forum...

Brendanlovesu1 24-06-21 12:32

this is fantastic

reborninshadow 24-06-21 12:49

Hello everyone,

First of all, thanks for the kind words :hug:

So we've been making changes and testing the first level PARIS1 with TRJTA and while testing, he's been reporting some strange graphical issues happening but when I'm testing there aren't any issues. I want to test this further so I need a couple more people to test it and see if they're having graphical issues as well. If anyone is interested, please pm me. :)

_Seth 24-06-21 17:16

Just a thought; it is really important to remember that not everything cut from AoD would automatically have been something Core would have wanted to have kept in. There's every potential that they would have willfully cut stuff on purpose for whatever design reasons, so don't go too crazy. :p

Jathom95 24-06-21 18:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Seth (Post 8306179)
Just a thought; it is really important to remember that not everything cut from AoD would automatically have been something Core would have wanted to have kept in. There's every potential that they would have willfully cut stuff on purpose for whatever design reasons, so don't go too crazy. :p

That's the intent. To restore as much as possible that doesn't contradict anything else in-game. There's plenty of dialogue that's outright redundant or unnecessary in the released game (like the one remaining voiced line referencing a GPS save system). But I'm sure Reborn's taken all of that into account.

If anything going by the video, Reborn is restoring what Core really should've kept in in the first place. Like how in the hell she automatically just starts asking around for Bouchard without any prior notice. That's now taken care of by this mod.

reborninshadow 24-06-21 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Seth (Post 8306179)

Oh believe me I'm not adding too much and I can't add too much anyway, there are many limitations to what I'm doing :) We discuss first if something is appropriate or worth adding in the first place and plus I don't want Lara to say something every 10 seconds.

_Seth 24-06-21 18:54

ok cool, good to know. You've made great choices so far. :)

KIKO 25-06-21 00:13

These are very exciting times to be an AOD fan for sure :) I look forward to the cut monologues of the Louvre level

Jathom95 25-06-21 01:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by KIKO (Post 8306242)
These are very exciting times to be an AOD fan for sure :) I look forward to the cut monologues of the Louvre level

It sure is! I'm sure you especially are excited. I remember pouring through your beta diaries thread way before I ever joined here. So much content that Core had to cut, and piece by piece we're getting it back.

SLAYER 25-06-21 05:24

I love this project, can't wait! :tmb:

UniMatrixXB 25-06-21 08:43

These are truly good times for AoD fans. I'm curious if there are any plans/thoughts about you guys joining forces with other AoD projects like AoDRescue, HD project or AoD 1.5? I imagine we would get a game very close to the original vision :tmb:

Also: Imho it would be amazing if you share your projects on social media for the AoD month, I'm sure it's gonna be an amazing celebration!

TRJTA 25-06-21 10:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by UniMatrixXB (Post 8306293)
These are truly good times for AoD fans. I'm curious if there are any plans/thoughts about you guys joining forces with other AoD projects like AoDRescue, HD project or AoD 1.5? I imagine we would get a game very close to the original vision :tmb:

Also: Imho it would be amazing if you share your projects on social media for the AoD month, I'm sure it's gonna be an amazing celebration!

Oh yes I definitely will! Just wait for next month. I'm looking forward to it!

About joining the 1.5 project. No I will not. I wouldn't have the skills for it either way. My game designer related skills are only texturing and some simpler modeling. Anyway I think having both is very nice. It's always nice to have the vanilla game but in the best most polished version possible and then if course having a full fledged remake/re-imaging is very cool too

Jathom95 25-06-21 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRJTA (Post 8306305)
It's always nice to have the vanilla game but in the best most polished version possible and then if course having a full fledged remake/re-imaging is very cool too

I agree. I admire the work FreakRaider is doing with his 1.5 project, and love to see where it it goes. On the other hand, there's still plenty of merit fixing up and restoring the vanilla game. For one, it's what most people are going to try first if they haven't at all and literally almost any setup can run vanilla AOD without much issue nowadays. And two, there's the aspect of fixing Core's original vision as close as possible.

Most people's issues with AOD were bad controls and plot hole issues, in addition to the texture issues native to PC. And now, we're finally getting closer and closer to fixing all of that once and for all. AOD might never get any true sequels in game form, but this community can make damn sure it's given the chance it should've had.

reborninshadow 28-06-21 00:23

So... I may have figured out how to change conversations

Here's some of the cut dialogue with the herbalist ingame with mostly complete lip sync animations.

Sadly, I doubt I can do much with this for the time being since I can only change existing lines so far. I don't know how adding in new lines would work, seems to just crash when I try that. I would need help to turn this into an actual mod most likely but we'll see, maybe I'll figure it out. I will probably do this for other conversations also and share videos, it's really cool to see these ingame.