www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Shadow of the Tomb Raider (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Shadow of the Tomb Raider - General Chat (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=219557)

Samz 03-08-18 07:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heartache (Post 7941401)
the rebreather made no sense anyway and underwater gameplay was nonexistent to begin with. i hope they turned water gameplay completely around

Pretty much, why would a flamethrower unit have a re-breather?, real life flamethrowers use at most, a gas mask (Which is a completely different thing) to protect them from smoke, not water, its just one of many things that make you go "Wait what?!" and if it was in-case he fell in, why did no other Trinity guys have Rebreathers?

Vaskito 03-08-18 07:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samz (Post 7941424)
Pretty much, why would a flamethrower unit have a re-breather?, real life flamethrowers use at most, a gas mask (Which is a completely different thing) to protect them from smoke, not water, its just one of many things that make you go "Wait what?!"

It's not like it's a game or anything lol
Not everything will make sense

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samz (Post 7941424)
why did no other Trinity guys have Rebreathers?

Maybe they did, and Lara just didn't pick it up because she already had one

Heartache 03-08-18 07:55

there is also no such thing that gives you unlimited air underwater. especially not when it's that small.

i liked the aod approach more where the item whatever it was called gave you more time underwater once. i even would have been fine with it regenerating oxygen when you go out.

but going from having air for 3 seconds max because her lungs dont seem to be trained at all to unlimited oxygen was weird :D

Samz 03-08-18 08:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaskito (Post 7941427)
It's not like it's a game or anything lol
Not everything will make sense

There is "suspension of disbelief", Flamethrowers are HEAVY so he wouldn't actually be able to swim if he fell in, it'd make more sense if it was one of those "Elite" guys with the balaclavas, or heck, literally every other Trinity unit.

Since there are ALOT of really dumb stuff in the cutscenes. (Shooting beartraps in 2013 for instance) I think whoever works on them needs to do more research, I guess its because they know Flamethrower troops wear protection for the smoke sometimes in Real life, but a gas mask and a rebreather work VERY differently, one filters Gas and the other stores air to breath Granted, the classics did make a similar error with AOD, with Lara using Painting respirators against toxic gas. (While in reality gas masks require different kinds of filters, plus eye protection for any of the "Serious" gasses people tend to use in combat), its not as severe, but it was still strange, since well, its a painting respirator, at least most fiction have a proper Gas Mask used against gas, can't deny it at least looks cool on Lara though.

Its like if you booted up TR1 shot dead a wolf and it dropped a shotgun, it doesn't make "Basic" Logic

EDIT: actually I said that just as a one-off thing, but 2013/Rise have the Oni/Deathless one's dropping ammo, despite not using guns...

Even in most fiction, things have to make a certain amount of "Sense" to be somewhat believable to the player/viewer.

More so for the "Realistic" Reboot which is trying VERY HARD to be relatable and have an in-depth story, or anything trying to be realistic or serious.

Vaskito 03-08-18 08:13

^
IDK why you always use the "realistic" approach in your arguments to say everything needs to be real life like.
IMO, the more realistic approach doesn't mean everything in the game needs to be real. To me it means some of the stuff simply have a more believable tone (and not necessarily realistic). I mean, this is a game with Jesus and deathless armies. Stuff is thrown in the game to add fun to it, and the rebreather was on of them thrown at a climax where it made you think Lara would drown at first.

Why so serious? Next you'll complain Lara has huge bowels because she never goes to the restroom?

Samz 03-08-18 08:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaskito (Post 7941439)
^
IDK why you always use the "realistic" approach in your arguments to say everything needs to be real life like.
IMO, the more realistic approach doesn't mean everything in the game needs to be real. To me it means some of the stuff are simply have a more believable tone (and not necessarily realistic). I mean, this is a game with Jesus and deathless armies. Stuff is thrown in the game to add fun to it, and the rebreather was on of them thrown at a climax where it made you think Lara would drown at first.

Why so serious? Next you'll complain Lara has huge bowels because she never goes to the restroom?

Well the devs INSIST on this reboot being serious, considering the absurd amount of edginess that was in 2013 and Rise (seriously we just need their leader to have a toothbrush moustache and them to do horrific experiments and Trinity will officially be the Nazis), plus like I said Plausibility is needed for a story trying to be serious, there's a difference between supernatural stuff existing and stuff that just doesn't make sense.

It just seems to be bad Research and presuming a Rebreather and a Gas mask are similar and yes, I know it was (For a loose use of the word) a Drama moment, they should really stop doing those, they never work, imagine if there WASN'T a Rebreather and you actually had decent lung capacity, that could have been a great "Thrown in the deep end" moment with you panicking to find an air pocket before drowning in actual gameplay , instead of stripping control for "Drama", even for the "Drama" Argument, I feel that it isn't so much dramatic as just confusing.

Princess_Paige 03-08-18 08:26

I read somewhere the other day in an interview with one of the developers? (I can’t remember) that they deliberately have taken inspiration from the classic games. Daniel mentioned this too. It definitely shows, everything they’ve shown is giving me MAJOR classic TR vibes.

Vaskito 03-08-18 08:28

^ I hope it will make classic-only fans a little happy.

2001LC20 03-08-18 08:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princess_Paige (Post 7941443)
I read somewhere the other day in an interview with one of the developers? (I can’t remember) that they deliberately have taken inspiration from the classic games. Daniel mentioned this too. It definitely shows, everything they’ve shown is giving me MAJOR classic TR vibes.

Yeah! They have said it many times.
The series are going to the roots more and more with each game while keeping what made the reboot so great.
It works.

^No one will like if they didn't like the last two imo.

Vaskito 03-08-18 08:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2001LC20 (Post 7941445)
Yeah! They have said it many times.
The series are going to the roots more and more with each game while keeping what made the reboot so great.
It works.

^No one will like if they didn't like the last two imo.

^ I think that it can appeal to at least some, especially if they are open-minded and don't have the auto "Meeeh. ReBoOt GaMe. TrAsH"