www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider Comics (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   What's the timeline of the comics? (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=224957)

ELIMTBF 14-08-20 13:45

What's the timeline of the comics?
 
Hellooo there!

Can I pick someone's brain about the reboot comics? I managed to get hold of a batch, I've got issues 1 to 9, and Survivor's Crusade 1 to 4.

Buuuuuuuut.... I haven't played Shadow or Rise yet, since I only have a lowly PS3. :(

I'd rather be exposed to the story line from the games first. At what point in the story do the comics take place? I had a peek at issue 1, and they seem to be post 2013, but how far post?

Are there any spoilers for Rise or Shadow in the comics?

Cheers!

Rai 14-08-20 14:19

I took this from a thread made two years ago asking the same thing:

https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...76&postcount=3

There are 18 post TR2013 comics before Rise, starting with Season of the Witch. Survivor's Crusade is post Rise, so you will probably want to hold off reading that. None of comics really spoil the games stories exactly, but I find it better to read in order.

ELIMTBF 14-08-20 15:30

Excellent! Thank you very much, oh white wolfy one!

Lot's of material here to work through without having to worry about spoiling the games, that's good news.

Still though, I might wait, get a PS4, and then take a couple of weeks off to just binge it all in one intense marathon...

Rai 14-08-20 16:57

I hope it's not too long before you get to do that. I need a re-read of the comics. I've forgotten some of the stories. Season of the Witch was a tad disappointing, but if you persevere, they do pick up.

Portugalraider 14-08-20 17:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rai (Post 8229586)
I took this from a thread made two years ago asking the same thing:

https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...76&postcount=3
There are 18 post TR2013 comics before Rise, starting with Season of the Witch. Survivor's Crusade is post Rise, so you will probably want to hold off reading that. None of comics really spoil the games stories exactly, but I find it better to read in order.

Why did I had the feeling this would be one of my posts? :p

--

Anyways, be careful with those 1-9 comics, as they can actually be post-RotTR! The comics after RotTR resetted the numeration! If the writers are Gail Simone and/or Rhianna Pratchett, then you are good to go: those are the post-TR2013 comics. If not, to follow the chronological order to need to read those first.

ELIMTBF 14-08-20 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rai (Post 8229613)
I hope it's not too long before you get to do that. I need a re-read of the comics. I've forgotten some of the stories. Season of the Witch was a tad disappointing, but if you persevere, they do pick up.

Sweet, looking forward to it then!

That's a good way to do it, leave things for a while so you forget, then come back fresh.

Portugalraider 14-08-20 18:52

Just don't be discouraged to continue reading the comics after the first arc: that one is terrible. :p

They get much better afterwards, ranging from okay to pretty great :)

ELIMTBF 15-08-20 08:29

Cool, I will give it a fair shot. To be honest, I'm not keen on the art so far, Lara's face doesn't seem so consistent panel-to-panel. I preferred the art on the older 90s one, but that was my era so I may be a bit biased.

I do prefer that she's not sexualised now. I mean I get that she's meant to be a sexy character and all, but some of the old ones were a bit much at times.

Portugalraider 15-08-20 09:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by ELIMTBF (Post 8229735)
Cool, I will give it a fair shot. To be honest, I'm not keen on the art so far, Lara's face doesn't seem so consistent panel-to-panel. I preferred the art on the older 90s one, but that was my era so I may be a bit biased.

I do prefer that she's not sexualised now. I mean I get that she's meant to be a sexy character and all, but some of the old ones were a bit much at times.

That's not surprising, especially for the issues written by Dan Jurgens, where most of the art was done by Andy Park. He always was top tier talent, so much that he is now a concept artist at Marvel Studios.

The new comics I feel like only reached those levels of art on Inferno, pencilled by Phillip Sevy. The art is phenomenal during that arc. He also illustrated the first 12 issues of the post RotTR run, and those also looked good, but the improvement on his art from it to Inferno is really clear.

And then there's Survivor's Crusade, where the art is just the worst. :p

ELIMTBF 06-09-20 17:22

Sorry for the delay, I read your reply, didn't have time to respond at the time, and then forgot.

Awesome, I looked him up, looks like he did this cover for a run called the Frozen Omen, looks more in line with the old-school style.

I'd like to pay more attention to comic artists and get a bit more knowledge of the people behind the scenes.

So you'd say the Inferno art is better than the stuff he's done then?


All times are GMT. The time now is 19:14.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.