www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   TOMB RAIDER General Discussion Thread (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=187894)

larafan25 04-02-12 23:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevo505 (Post 5956696)
I'm playing UC3 for the first time now, and I agree. I hate how during puzzle-solving, after a while they'll just tell you exactly what to do. And I hate how the camera pans to show you where to go. Often you are being rushed and don't have time to enjoy the scenery.

The thing about the camera, I think they either need to leave it there with no movement for us to control, or take away all movement and have it move for us in tight curvy places.

I was doing that puzzle in London, and it was not even a puzzle anymore because the steps were not to realize what to do, but to interact with someone when the character realized what to do.

I had played before, and I knew the four plates on the ground were pressure plates, but I had to wait through all the talking for the other character to notice them on the ground, and press the hint button to progress.

So silly.

Stevo505 04-02-12 23:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikky (Post 5956701)
Um... Survivor's Instinct. Isn't that, like, the ultimate "hand-holding" tool? :whi:

I guess you could see it that way. I see it more of a way of letting the player become Lara and see what she needs to use.

larafan25 04-02-12 23:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikky (Post 5956701)
Um... Survivor's Instinct. Isn't that, like, the ultimate "hand-holding" tool? :whi:

Umm...survival-no-stink?

You have to press a button to use it, so unless you somehow accidentally press that button each time a problem appears, then no it's not hand-holding.

Adrenaline 04-02-12 23:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcroft_lc (Post 5955757)
Good lord you finally agreed. :D



If in the podcast, then they will skip the part they announce her name. We still can hear her interview but no name. :p

EDIT: Damn double post. :( :(

LOL. I'd love it if when she's on the podcast, She acts like Lara. XDDD That would make my week. I can imagine it:

Meagan: So,...Here's our newest Voice Actress for our leading lady! Say something!

VA: Errrrrrrm.....My name is Lara Croft, I'm 21.... I'm a born survivor.... And.... I'm stranded on a horrible island....So yeah.....

larafan25 04-02-12 23:24

Whenever we discuss Camilla I think about- Oh wait! I mean...the VA...I think of Camilla.

skylark1121 04-02-12 23:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by larafan25 (Post 5956706)
Umm...survival-no-stink?

You have to press a button to use it, so unless you somehow accidentally press that button each time a problem appears, then no it's not hand-holding.

This. I think the survival instinct is perfect.

Some people want extra help and others don't.

Having the option to use it makes everyone happy, right? :pi:

Stevo505 04-02-12 23:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by larafan25 (Post 5956726)
Whenever we discuss Camilla I think about- Oh wait! I mean...the VA...I think of Camilla.

:vlol: :tmb:

larafan25 04-02-12 23:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by skylark1121 (Post 5956729)
This. I think the survival instinct is perfect.

Some people want extra help and others don't.

Having the option to use it makes everyone happy, right? :pi:

Yes, but I still don't enjoy the principle of the fact that it's included in the game.

If you are including a hint system, then make the game wortheeeeeyyyyyy!

Stevo505 04-02-12 23:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by larafan25 (Post 5956734)
Yes, but I still don't enjoy the principle of the fact that it's included in the game.

If you are including a hint system, then make the game wortheeeeeyyyyyy!

Maybe the game will be super duper hard (but less difficult than TR3..) :D

Lukass 04-02-12 23:30

No1 will be using the survival instinct.

larafan25 04-02-12 23:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevo505 (Post 5956742)
Maybe the game will be super duper hard (but less difficult than TR3..) :D

I don't even want it to be super hard, I just want lots of gameplay.

When I need to go somewhere, I want it to be far away and I want the path to be treacherous with lots of fun and complex platforming.

When I enter a tomb, I want it to be dark, I want to carry a light. I want to feel afraid of stuff and I want complex and mind-boggling problems to solve.

I want to be in those tombs for what seems like days. Once I enter I want to wonder how far it goes, I want to look back and already miss the fresh outside air.

When in combat situations I don't want to feel like I have the upper hand, I want to have to use my items and be strategic.

Lots and lots of this.

Mikky 04-02-12 23:36

I still can imagine how so many people will be complaining about how easy SI will make the game, me included. CD think that they're putting it in to "help" the player but I can't imagine that the puzzles or the game itself is going to be so difficult that we will actually need to use it.
It's the same thing with Lara's RAD binoculars in TRL and the hint system in TRU. Not once did I actually "need" to use them. I guess it's to do with CD's weird obsession about making TRs more appealing to "general" gamers - they think their games are too difficult for non-fans so they put silly gimmicks in the game to help them. No help gimmick was put in TRA (except maybe the journal, but that was nothing really and it didn't outright tell you what to do, like in TRU) and that was the hardest of the 3, which is kinda ironic. I actually preferred that there was no help system - it made the game much more enjoyable and challenging.

I really wish they would just get rid of this Survival Instinct. I don't care if it's optional or not, unless it's absolutely needed to use in the game, I don't see the point in having it. Let us do the thinking and we'll no doubt enjoy it more.

skylark1121 04-02-12 23:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by larafan25 (Post 5956734)
Yes, but I still don't enjoy the principle of the fact that it's included in the game.

If you are including a hint system, then make the game wortheeeeeyyyyyy!

And maybe it will be!! ^^

Spong 04-02-12 23:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikky (Post 5956764)
I really wish they would just get rid of this Survival Instinct. I don't care if it's optional or not, unless it's absolutely needed to use in the game, I don't see the point in having it. Let us do the thinking and we'll no doubt enjoy it more.

:yah:

larafan25 04-02-12 23:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikky (Post 5956764)
I still can imagine how so many people will be complaining about how easy SI will make the game, me included. CD think that they're putting it in to "help" the player but I can't imagine that the puzzles or the game itself is going to be so difficult that we will actually need to use it.
It's the same thing with Lara's RAD binoculars in TRL and the hint system in TRU. Not once did I actually "need" to use them. I guess it's to do with CD's weird obsession about making TRs more appealing to "general" gamers - they think their games are too difficult for non-fans so they put silly gimmicks in the game to help them. No help gimmick was put in TRA (except maybe the journal, but that was nothing really and it didn't outright tell you what to do, like in TRU) and that was the hardest of the 3, which is kinda ironic. I actually preferred that there was no help system - it made the game much more enjoyable and challenging.

I really wish they would just get rid of this Survival Instinct. I don't care if it's optional or not, unless it's absolutely needed to use in the game, I don't see the point in having it. Let us do the thinking and we'll no doubt enjoy it more.

It's optional, you don't have to use it.

What about all of those people who plays the classics and use walkthroughs? Perhaps they're not actually that hard, but people just have a shorter attention span. They can benefit from a hint system as opposed to going online searching for walkthroughs.

Stevo505 04-02-12 23:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikky (Post 5956764)
I still can imagine how so many people will be complaining about how easy SI will make the game, me included. CD think that they're putting it in to "help" the player but I can't imagine that the puzzles or the game itself is going to be so difficult that we will actually need to use it.
It's the same thing with Lara's RAD binoculars in TRL and the hint system in TRU. Not once did I actually "need" to use them. I guess it's to do with CD's weird obsession about making TRs more appealing to "general" gamers - they think their games are too difficult for non-fans so they put silly gimmicks in the game to help them. No help gimmick was put in TRA (except maybe the journal, but that was nothing really and it didn't outright tell you what to do, like in TRU) and that was the hardest of the 3, which is kinda ironic. I actually preferred that there was no help system - it made the game much more enjoyable and challenging.

I really wish they would just get rid of this Survival Instinct. I don't care if it's optional or not, unless it's absolutely needed to use in the game, I don't see the point in having it. Let us do the thinking and we'll no doubt enjoy it more.

I don't think you speak for everyone who's going to play it. The game isn't just for the fans :p. If you don't want to use the feature, don't use it. You don't have to, really. If it irritates you that much then don't play... lol

Mikky 05-02-12 00:00

^ I still fail to see a valid reason as to why there needs to be a hint system. :confused: It's all I'm trying to say.

Quote:

Originally Posted by larafan25 (Post 5956780)
It's optional, you don't have to use it.

So was the hint system and the sonar map in TRU, yet I've read so many complaints about how pointless they were because TRU just simply wasn't that hard and if you did happen to struggle, it just took away from the enjoyment of figuring out stuff yourself.
There are so many games out there harder than TRU and yet they are perfectly okay without a hint system. I can't imagine that TR2012 will be so incredibly hard that it will be necessary to use SI. :/

Quote:

Originally Posted by larafan25 (Post 5956780)
What about all of those people who plays the classics and use walkthroughs? Perhaps they're not actually that hard, but people just have a shorter attention span.

The classics are harder than the CD Trilogy will ever be, imo and I don't think anyone has ever complained about there NOT being a hint system in those. You know why? Because they enjoyed the games more that way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by larafan25 (Post 5956780)
They can benefit from a hint system as opposed to going online searching for walkthroughs.

I think there is a difference between an in-game hint system and an off-game hint system.

larafan25 05-02-12 00:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikky (Post 5956825)
So was the hint system and the sonar map in TRU, yet I've read so many complaints about how pointless they were because TRU just simply wasn't that hard and if you did happen to struggle, it just took away from the enjoyment of figuring out stuff yourself.

But not everyone thinks being stumped is enjoyable, so they use the hint system.

Not to mention this hint system doesn't verbalize the solution, it simply shows use the items needed to complete the puzzle.

Quote:

There are so many games out there harder than TRU and yet they are perfectly okay without a hint system. I can't imagine that TR2012 will be so incredibly hard that it will be necessary to use SI. :/
Which games?

And people still could have used a walktrhough.

Quote:

The classics are harder than the CD Trilogy will ever be, imo and I don't think anyone has ever complained about there NOT being a hint system in those. You know why? Because they enjoyed the games more that way.
Or because there are walkthroughs on the Internet.


Quote:

I think there is a difference between an in-game hint system and an off-game hint system.
Yeah, one is more convenient, but they're both used with the same purpose.

Stevo505 05-02-12 00:05

Perhaps you don't need a hint system, but others might. Is it really a huge issue? It's there for players' convenience if needed, but if you don't need it, then there's no reason to use it. But you make it seem like it's a huge deal that the hint system is there in the first place when it really isn't.

skylark1121 05-02-12 00:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevo505 (Post 5956838)
Perhaps you don't need a hint system, but others might. Is it really a huge issue? It's there for players' convenience if needed, but if you don't need it, then there's no reason to use it. But you make it seem like it's a huge deal that the hint system is there in the first place when it really isn't.

This!

That way the first time TR player doesn't go to all his friends and say, "Don't get this game! It's too hard!"

Mikky 05-02-12 00:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by larafan25 (Post 5956835)
But not everyone thinks being stumped is enjoyable, so they use the hint system.

Not to mention this hint system doesn't verbalize the solution, it simply shows use the items needed to complete the puzzle.

Which games?

And people still could have used a walktrhough.

Yeah, one is more convenient, but they're both used with the same purpose.

What do you mean which games? So many games out there don't have a hint system. :p

And you say that people will use online walkthroughs and if this is the case, doesn't it just give more reason for them NOT to put an in-game help system? I mean, if everyone's gonna use walkthroughs, why even bother?

Quote:

Originally Posted by larafan25 (Post 5956835)
Or because there are walkthroughs on the Internet.

I don't think so. T_T

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevo505 (Post 5956838)
Perhaps you don't need a hint system, but others might. Is it really a huge issue? It's there for players' convenience if needed, but if you don't need it, then there's no reason to use it. But you make it seem like it's a huge deal that the hint system is there in the first place when it really isn't.

Again, I REALLY don't think that anyone will find the game so hard that they will absolutely need to use Survival Instinct. Why not just remove it from the game and if anyone does get stuck, then palyers can use online walkthroughs that lf25 is so fond of. :p


Quote:

Originally Posted by skylark1121 (Post 5956842)
This!

That way the first time TR player doesn't go to all his friends and say, "Don't get this game! It's too hard!"

I really don't think anyone will ever say that. tbh. Maybe telling them that it's challenging, yes, but so hard that you tell someone not to buy it? No, I can't picture it.

Stevo505 05-02-12 00:18

Because it's more convenient and it keeps the player playing the game.

larafan25 05-02-12 00:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikky (Post 5956857)
What do you mean which games? So many games out there don't have a hint system. :p

Well I'm just wondering if those games have puzzles/ problem solving.

Quote:

And you say that people will use online walkthroughs and if this is the case, doesn't it just give more reason for them NOT to put an in-game help system? I mean, if everyone's gonna use walkthroughs, why even bother?
It's convenience, the player doesn't have to leave the game to find the solution.

Quote:

I don't think so. T_T
Lots of people have used walkthroughs for the classics, polls have been done. What would it say if people revered this problem solving - no solution aspect of the game yet turned around and searched walkthroughs? I wonder. :/


Quote:

Again, I REALLY don't think that anyone will find the game so hard that they will absolutely need to use Survival Instinct. Why not just remove it from the game and if anyone does get stuck, then palyers can use online walkthroughs that lf25 is so fond of. :p
Convenience, so they don't have to leave the game.

Not to mention specifically in this game, a walkthrough would give you a step by step solution whereas survival instinct only highlights the items of interaction in the environment.

skylark1121 05-02-12 00:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikky (Post 5956857)
I really don't think anyone will ever say that. tbh. Maybe telling them that it's challenging, yes, but so hard that you tell someone not to buy it? No, I can't picture it.

Stranger things have happened, but I guess we won't know how difficult it is until we play it. :p

Mikky 05-02-12 00:21

^ I guess, but still... It's going to take me a lot of convincing for me to ever agree with SI. :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevo505 (Post 5956861)
Because it's more convenient and it keeps the player playing the game.

Exactly! I don't want convenience, I want challenge.


Quote:

Originally Posted by larafan25 (Post 5956863)
Well I'm just wondering if those games have puzzles/ problem solving.



It's convenience, the player doesn't have to leave the game to find the solution.



Lots of people have used walkthroughs for the classics, polls have been done. What would it say if people revered this problem solving - no solution aspect of the game yet turned around and searched walkthroughs? I wonder. :/

Convenience, so they don't have to leave the game.

Not to mention specifically in this game, a walkthrough would give you a step by step solution whereas survival instinct only highlights the items of interaction in the environment.

Again, the word "convenient" pops up. Which basically just translates into "laziness and easiness". :p

Stevo505 05-02-12 00:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikky (Post 5956866)
Exactly! I don't want convenience, I want challenge.

...Then don't use it.

This is just going in circles :vlol:

larafan25 05-02-12 00:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikky (Post 5956866)
^ I guess, but still... It's going to take me a lot of convincing for me to ever agree with SI. :p



Exactly! I don't want convenience, I want challenge.

It's convenience for those who do want the solution.

The fact that it's optional is convenience for you.

Mikky 05-02-12 00:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevo505 (Post 5956868)
...Then don't use it.

This is just going in circles :vlol:

I know, lol, but I don't see the point of a feature that hardly anyone will use.

Quote:

Originally Posted by larafan25 (Post 5956873)

The fact that it's optional is convenience for you.

The fact that it's there is just annoying. :p

skylark1121 05-02-12 00:31

^ But it's a win/win situation. :confused:

:p

Adrenaline 05-02-12 02:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by larafan25 (Post 5956703)
The thing about the camera, I think they either need to leave it there with no movement for us to control, or take away all movement and have it move for us in tight curvy places.

I was doing that puzzle in London, and it was not even a puzzle anymore because the steps were not to realize what to do, but to interact with someone when the character realized what to do.

I had played before, and I knew the four plates on the ground were pressure plates, but I had to wait through all the talking for the other character to notice them on the ground, and press the hint button to progress.

So silly.

I HOPE so bad we get Cameras in corners from far landscapes,..Like you come into the opening of a mountain, and the camera zooms above you, so you see over the mountain dramatically! :') ....

About Survival Instinct,.. I think that it's cool it is in the game, BECAUSE It sort of says "Do you need me to be a tomb raider?" youknow? like it sort of motivates you NOT to use it, Which causes you to use your own resourcefulness in that situation, Proving you are a tomb raider, and that you do not need such a power to guide your way., That you can do it yourself. That's why i sort of am okay with it being there. XD

lcroft_lc 05-02-12 04:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrenaline (Post 5956719)
LOL. I'd love it if when she's on the podcast, She acts like Lara. XDDD That would make my week. I can imagine it:

Meagan: So,...Lets introduce our newest Voice Actress for our leading lady! Her name is Tamzin Merchant. Hello Tamzin! Say something to our fans!

Tamzin: Hey listeners!...My name is
Tamzin Merchant, I'm 21 just like Lara....Tomb Raider is my favorite game...I love to play the voice actress role..

Fixed. :tmb:

Stevo505 05-02-12 05:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcroft_lc (Post 5957190)
Fixed. :tmb:

You wish :ton:

Tonyrobinson 05-02-12 08:33

Anyone think Time travel will come into play, the amount of times they keep talking about why the other ships are there makes me wonder about how they connect to the story rather than just being a dimension with it's own strong gravitational pull. :o

Adrenaline 05-02-12 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcroft_lc (Post 5957190)
Fixed. :tmb:

Don't 'Fix' me again. >:(lol

klona 05-02-12 13:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonyrobinson (Post 5957328)
Anyone think Time travel will come into play, the amount of times they keep talking about why the other ships are there makes me wonder about how they connect to the story rather than just being a dimension with it's own strong gravitational pull. :o

Nah, I don't think so.

lcroft_lc 05-02-12 13:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrenaline (Post 5957656)
Don't 'Fix' me again. >:(lol

Why? Tamzin is very cute. :)

Adrenaline 05-02-12 13:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcroft_lc (Post 5957684)
Why? Tamzin is very cute. :)

Yes! :D
I joked.
She's adorable! :P
https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/im...XbPqRQY_RBBBEp

JsotoTRSaga 05-02-12 14:23

If you say so.... :whi:

TRexbait 05-02-12 14:51

Meagan, when we gonna get that fun new info! :pi:

lcroft_lc 05-02-12 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRexbait (Post 5957872)
Meagan, when we gonna get that fun new info! :pi:

She doesn't visit here often. Tweet her.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:29.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.