www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   TOMB RAIDER General Discussion Thread (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=187894)

VictorXD 25-12-18 06:09

Meeeee. It was one of my favourite combat moves from the game. I really love Lara's progression through combat, I feel like they did an outstanding job in that department. It's so cool how Lara slowly learns new moves to survive so that by the end she is pretty much the ultimate killing machine.

I wouldn't say the other 2 games didn't do this as well, but it just feels really special in TR2013 for some reason.

FanosCroft 26-12-18 10:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheShadowOfMe (Post 7970306)
I've asked this in SOTTR section, so I'm gonna ask here too: Which song would fit this game? Like, we got White Flag, I Shall Rise and Speak Loud for both ROTTR and SOTTR, so I'm planning on making a small "album" and I'm open for suggestions. :)

Alice by Avril Lavigne?

Grizzly Bear 26-12-18 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by ActuallyArlow (Post 8024452)
I forgot how much shorter TR was compared to Rise and Shadow, I just bought DE a few days ago on the ps store for 7 bucks and been playing hard, already at the shanty town. Does anyone else miss the dirt throw skill?

Yep, that skill was cool!
But I think that removing it was a good idea, you can tell that Lara has really improved her combat skills and now she is a much more letal killer with more "sophisticated" methods :D

Maverin 27-12-18 07:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzly Bear (Post 8024745)
Yep, that skill was cool!
But I think that removing it was a good idea, you can tell that Lara has really improved her combat skills and now she is a much more letal killer with more "sophisticated" methods :D

Throwing some good old dirt will always be a classic though :D

Grizzly Bear 28-12-18 19:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverin (Post 8024820)
Throwing some good old dirt will always be a classic though :D

Yep, it will always be :D
Not as iconic as the duals in the ending, though!
I still can't believe that after that huge tease, they didn't let us use duals in Rise and Shadow...

FanosCroft 28-12-18 21:12

https://youtu.be/TBYhyZ0WSXQ here she talks more about Steph

ActuallyArlow 29-12-18 07:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzly Bear (Post 8024745)
Yep, that skill was cool!
But I think that removing it was a good idea, you can tell that Lara has really improved her combat skills and now she is a much more letal killer with more "sophisticated" methods :D

Agreed, I am really grateful for the Scales of the Serpent skill, it's very useful for when AI spots me during stealth :pi: :vlol:

Grizzly Bear 29-12-18 14:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by FanosCroft (Post 8025186)
https://youtu.be/TBYhyZ0WSXQ here she talks more about Steph

It's a shame that Steph was cut from the final game, it would have made the cave sequence much scarier and more emotional at the same time.

FanosCroft 31-12-18 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzly Bear (Post 8025293)
It's a shame that Steph was cut from the final game, it would have made the cave sequence much scarier and more emotional at the same time.

Ikr, and it was supposed to be a prologue on Endurance were we meet her and the others.

JuditePrince12 02-01-19 03:52

Why in the world would they cut character development from the game. I would've cared about them a lot more.

AimlessThunder 03-01-19 12:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheShadowOfMe (Post 7970306)
I've asked this in SOTTR section, so I'm gonna ask here too: Which song would fit this game? Like, we got White Flag, I Shall Rise and Speak Loud for both ROTTR and SOTTR, so I'm planning on making a small "album" and I'm open for suggestions. :)



:ton:

James_Rutland 03-01-19 13:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheShadowOfMe (Post 7970306)
I've asked this in SOTTR section, so I'm gonna ask here too: Which song would fit this game? Like, we got White Flag, I Shall Rise and Speak Loud for both ROTTR and SOTTR, so I'm planning on making a small "album" and I'm open for suggestions. :)



I've been thinking of everything
I used to want to be

I'm in the middle of nothing
And it's where I want to be
Why at the bottom of everything
I finally start to believe

And I swear to God
I'll find myself
In the end

_Tomb_Raider 04-01-19 12:31

Do you think the story would be even better if Lara was the only survivor at the end of the game?

I remember playing for the game for the first time and thinking the game would end like that once they killed off Alex.

James_Rutland 04-01-19 12:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Tomb_Raider (Post 8026462)
Do you think the story would be even better if Lara was the only survivor at the end of the game?

I remember playing for the game for the first time and thinking the game would end like that once they killed off Alex.

Yes. And if she kept the pistols at the end for Rise and Shadow. That's the only thing I'd change about this trilogy

MicheleMouse 04-01-19 19:01

I always thought that at least Sam should've died for sure, but everyone else too...? Sounds interesting, to be honest.
These sentences would also sound better from Lara's last journal entry after the end: "This island has taken everything from me. I'm going to make sure I take as much in return. All its secrets. It owes me that."
The "everything" would be really everything.

I can't help but imagining Rise's beginning part. Lara is climbing the mountain alone, but sometimes she would see Roth next to her, also climbing. Just like how they used to in the past. He would be like a ghostly figure visually, but actually there's no ghost there. It's like an entity was born from grief and remorse. Or just Lara's imagination. Anyhow, after a few words he just disappears.
Everyone else could pop up like this throughout the game, one by one. But of course by the end of the story they would be gone forever, since Lara slowly learns how to let them go, and how to cope with things alone. Or something like that.

A little bit dark, I have to admit. :whi: But I associate reboot Lara with dark themes, that's just how it is.

mememan 05-01-19 08:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by AimlessThunder (Post 8026250)


:ton:

such a sick edit, nice work :)

New Dwight 06-01-19 00:23

TR2013 has an undefinable adrenaline rush the other two can't match.

TrustyBow 06-01-19 20:06

It was definitely the most exciting story. Whenever I replay it, I usually end up breezing through it within 2 or 3 days. It makes it hard for you to put the controller down.

LegendLuvr24 07-01-19 11:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by New Dwight (Post 8026863)
TR2013 has an undefinable adrenaline rush the other two can't match.

This. And I feel like it has to do with the fact that TR2013 was a horror game and the other two were not. TR2013 did a very good job of making you feel like every single thing on the island was plotting against you, and that even the island itself was a living breathing entity. It created a tension where you never knew what was going to come at you next and you genuinely feared for Lara and her comrades.

In comparison, the final two games were toned down dramatically. They all but did away with the horror aspect and listened too much to the “torture porn” and violence whiners to the point where SOTTR had barely any gunfights. TR2013 was brilliant because they did what they wanted. The final two games suffered because they worried too much about what everyone else thought. And that, is what will probably kill any future reboots too.

the_end90 07-01-19 12:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by LegendLuvr24 (Post 8027183)
In comparison, the final two games were toned down dramatically. They all but did away with the horror aspect and listened too much to the “torture porn” and violence whiners to the point where SOTTR had barely any gunfights. TR2013 was brilliant because they did what they wanted. The final two games suffered because they worried too much about what everyone else thought. And that, is what will probably kill any future reboots too.

This is the focal point of the reboot IMHO.
In this game, You could breathe the freedom that was given to the team.
ROTTR and SOTTR, despite some improvements, felt very weak.
If they didn't worry too much about what people thought it would be better

LegendLuvr24 07-01-19 13:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_end90 (Post 8027190)
This is the focal point of the reboot IMHO.
In this game, You could breathe the freedom that was given to the team.
ROTTR and SOTTR, despite some improvements, felt very weak.
If they didn't worry too much about what people thought it would be better

The first few minutes alone were excitingly tense. Because you start the game tied up, and have to break free, and the entire time you're hearing someone grumbling in the background till finally he catches your leg. Then once you break free, he's yelling at you to come back. And even after you rid yourself of him, you have to escape a collapsing tomb. All within the first 10-15 minutes. Talk about intense. The closest the series came to that was those hisses in the Cenote in SOTTR. But even those don't quite live up to that raw atmosphere shown in the beginning of TR2013.

the_end90 07-01-19 16:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by LegendLuvr24 (Post 8027211)
The first few minutes alone were excitingly tense. Because you start the game tied up, and have to break free, and the entire time you're hearing someone grumbling in the background till finally he catches your leg. Then once you break free, he's yelling at you to come back. And even after you rid yourself of him, you have to escape a collapsing tomb. All within the first 10-15 minutes. Talk about intense. The closest the series came to that was those hisses in the Cenote in SOTTR. But even those don't quite live up to that raw atmosphere shown in the beginning of TR2013.

Yeah but this feeling is not over untill the game ends, and that is awesome

VictorXD 07-01-19 23:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by LegendLuvr24 (Post 8027183)
This. And I feel like it has to do with the fact that TR2013 was a horror game and the other two were not. TR2013 did a very good job of making you feel like every single thing on the island was plotting against you, and that even the island itself was a living breathing entity. It created a tension where you never knew what was going to come at you next and you genuinely feared for Lara and her comrades.

In comparison, the final two games were toned down dramatically. They all but did away with the horror aspect and listened too much to the “torture porn” and violence whiners to the point where SOTTR had barely any gunfights. TR2013 was brilliant because they did what they wanted. The final two games suffered because they worried too much about what everyone else thought. And that, is what will probably kill any future reboots too.

TR2013 is not a horror game.

the_end90 08-01-19 08:24

I think we are not saying it is an horror game: this is a simplification.
It is a game with a strong dark tone that had got lost in following games.
For me it was fantastic as it was a wonderful setting for the development of the character of reboot Lara.
All that was happening to her was developing the character.

Saratova 08-01-19 08:26

Edit: wrong topic!

New Dwight 08-01-19 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by LegendLuvr24 (Post 8027211)
The first few minutes alone were excitingly tense. Because you start the game tied up, and have to break free, and the entire time you're hearing someone grumbling in the background till finally he catches your leg. Then once you break free, he's yelling at you to come back. And even after you rid yourself of him, you have to escape a collapsing tomb. All within the first 10-15 minutes. Talk about intense. The closest the series came to that was those hisses in the Cenote in SOTTR. But even those don't quite live up to that raw atmosphere shown in the beginning of TR2013.

100.
TR2013 was raw, the creative freedom shouted, the other two beacon the same freedom as Tr2013. I’m not sure how SOTTR did in sales so far, but TR2013 dominated it.

Chamayoo 09-01-19 16:21

Well, it was a creative risk that Shadow (almost) abandoned combat for puzzles. I'm grateful for that. :tmb:

the_end90 10-01-19 07:26

Yeah but only that.
on the storytelling TR2013 was much better IMHO

LegendLuvr24 13-01-19 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by VictorXD (Post 8027400)
TR2013 is not a horror game.

I think you're being a little too literal here. Yes it's not horror in the sense that there aren't zombies and such. It's no Silent Hill or Resident Evil.

But the game took inspirations from some horror movies, The Descent being one of the more clearer references (it even pays homage to one of the movie scenes). And originally, the game was meant to have far more horror elements as shown in Ascension. There's definite horror influences in the game, and to flatly say it's not a horror game is an oversimplification (just like it can be argued that I did the same by calling it horror). There are very clear 'horror' elements in this game that did not exist in the sequels.

Grizzly Bear 14-01-19 20:00

^Yes, I loved that "dark" atmosphere;
In Shadow there were a couple of moments that could have felt like that, but the complete lack of blood ruined them...

Maverin 15-01-19 07:42

Accidental double post. Feel free to remove this

Maverin 15-01-19 07:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzly Bear (Post 8029263)
^Yes, I loved that "dark" atmosphere;
In Shadow there were a couple of moments that could have felt like that, but the complete lack of blood ruined them...

Just read a thread in the Shadow category that they are bringing out a patch to fix the missing blood issue :)

the_end90 15-01-19 08:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverin (Post 8029392)
Just read a thread in the Shadow category that they are bringing out a patch to fix the missing blood issue :)

But still the problem remains: TR2013 had an atmosphere that was not the same in following episodes.
A couple of moments could not be the same as what you could feel during the whole game

Grizzly Bear 15-01-19 12:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverin (Post 8029392)
Just read a thread in the Shadow category that they are bringing out a patch to fix the missing blood issue :)

I don't understand, do some fans want the patch or is EM working on it?
I mean, is it real or is it just something fans would like?

Chamayoo 15-01-19 15:35

Well, TR'13 atmosphere was singular and quite done right but not really for my taste. Too much depressing weather and grey colors. I prefer Shadow contrast between bright moments and horror ones, reminds of Legend who wasn't afraid to give both light and dark moments

the_end90 16-01-19 08:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chamayoo (Post 8029481)
Well, TR'13 atmosphere was singular and quite done right but not really for my taste. Too much depressing weather and grey colors. I prefer Shadow contrast between bright moments and horror ones, reminds of Legend who wasn't afraid to give both light and dark moments

was perfect to describe what was happening to the reboot Lara, and how she react to it. In a way, it seems the perfect description to what would leave a big DSPT on her

Maverin 16-01-19 13:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzly Bear (Post 8029424)
I don't understand, do some fans want the patch or is EM working on it?
I mean, is it real or is it just something fans would like?

As far as I could tell it's a real and official patch from E.M. But I cant guarantee that though, I'll look a little deeper into this :)

charmedangelin 24-01-19 08:21

This game had many iconic moments to be honest. There were so many moments of growth in this game. I could easily see her becoming the badass Lara Croft we all love.

I actually forgot about the kiss she gave one of her friends when she had to leave him behind. It reminded me of the hug Classic Lara gave Jean when she found him in the Citidel.

nottombraider 25-01-19 17:16

Easter Egg?
 
Hey everyone! I'm new to the Tomb Raider series, and I just finished playing Crystal Dynamics's reboot game and I really enjoyed it!

There's been a mystery though that's been bugging me. I've done some research on it but I can't yield any results. At the end of the credits, there's a little message under "Recognition" that reads:

John Lucien Fournier Sr., 'Did you try shooting the window?' We love you Dad; -Dustin & Johnny

I'm really curious about what this means. Is this some sort of inside joke or an easter egg? I tried messaging some of the developers on it but I didn't hear back from any of them (obviously). In fact, there's only one guy named Dustin in the entire team.

I do wonder if there's some kind of easter egg hidden in the game that would be unlocked by shooting a window. Granted, this game has been out for five years, I feel like every single window would've been shot by now :P .

If any of you guys know what this means, let me know!

Ahmier 25-01-19 21:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by nottombraider (Post 8034180)
Hey everyone! I'm new to the Tomb Raider series, and I just finished playing Crystal Dynamics's reboot game and I really enjoyed it!

There's been a mystery though that's been bugging me. I've done some research on it but I can't yield any results. At the end of the credits, there's a little message under "Recognition" that reads:

John Lucien Fournier Sr., 'Did you try shooting the window?' We love you Dad; -Dustin & Johnny

I'm really curious about what this means. Is this some sort of inside joke or an easter egg? I tried messaging some of the developers on it but I didn't hear back from any of them (obviously). In fact, there's only one guy named Dustin in the entire team.

I do wonder if there's some kind of easter egg hidden in the game that would be unlocked by shooting a window. Granted, this game has been out for five years, I feel like every single window would've been shot by now :P .

If any of you guys know what this means, let me know!

Welcome. Cool that you been introduced to the series in a new way. I’d recommend all of the other tr titles if you get the chance. :)

As for the quote, it was a reference to older tr games where you can break certain windows. It’s a cute little joke.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:03.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.