Tomb Raider Forums

Tomb Raider Forums (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider Motion Pictures, Shows and Shorts (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   The General Tomb Raider Movie discussion thread (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=195044)

Heidi_w_ 29-08-16 11:05

[QUOTE=OrangeFr3ak;7643703]Would it be better if the movie sticks to the storyline of the games or introduces a completely original plot?[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]I think it'll broadly stick to the TR2013 story, and that would also be my preference over a completely different origin story.

The game was epic and was festooned with very powerful dramatic moments -- in short, it's a perfect template for a movie adaptation.

[/COLOR]

Zebra 29-08-16 16:41

What is better or not is really quite subjective so there's no proper answer to your question, Orange. Personally, I'd prefer them to keep the game's Yamatai backstory and the rough premise of the shipwrecking but then change the actual plot of what Lara does on the island, switch out the supporting characters, etc. But as you see, Heidi thinks very differently about that and I'm sure there are other people on here who think it'd be best for the movie to have its own, completely original story and there are also people on here who think the film should combine the reboot and Rise into one plot so, like I said, it's all very subjective.

OrangeFr3ak 30-08-16 09:13

What sort changes would you like to see be made then? For me, perhaps Lara can be slighty older by a few years to match Alicia's age. This could be Lara probably having a few years more of study in Archaeology while not been on a proper expedition yet in the movie.Maybe Lara can be 25-27 years old in the movie instead of 21 since Alicia would be 29 when the movie is released?

SamCactus101 30-08-16 13:33

Hmmm, seeing a more mature Lara who is more knowledgeable about archaeology and history would be interesting. I don't think the movie will mention anything about Lara's age though. They'll probably mention that she's fresh out of college and that's that.

Tonyrobinson 30-08-16 14:15

I'm not opposed to changes. Preferably they'd change the Sam being kidnapped storyline and have her able to hold her own if she's included. I think they should keep beats of the storyline from the game lore like the ship wreck/plane crash, Lara's first kill, Lara's fight for survival against wilderness/Islanders and Lara losing important people in her life.

Everything else can be changed aslong as the fundamental moments of Lara's origin is kept in tact then it's basically a film of the reboot game anyway but with more focus on character. Roar gave an interview this week stating as much I believe he said that the film will be a character journey and that he will use practical effects as much as he can. I expect a lower budget and more character driven movie which is certainly the best route to take for this film.

Heidi_w_ 30-08-16 15:37

[QUOTE=Tonyrobinson;7644345]Roar gave an interview this week stating as much I believe he said that the film will be a character journey and that he will use practical effects as much as he can. I expect a lower budget and more character driven movie which is certainly the best route to take for this film.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Of course, Spielberg said the same thing about [I]Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull[/I], and that turned out to be a CGI-fest -- but then, that was likely at Lucas' insistence. Hopefully Roar (just love that name) will be as good as his word.[/COLOR]

OrangeFr3ak 30-08-16 16:01

Lara can be fresh out of university after she completes her postgraduate studies in the movie unlike the game, making her still inexperienced as tomb raider just like the game. Having a Masters degree instead of a Bachelors degree should not make much difference to how things would unfold and play out after Lara survives the landing on wherever she'll go in the film.

Tonyrobinson 30-08-16 21:57

Interesting new interview with Alicia, apparently they are still filming this year. :)

[URL="http://collider.com/alicia-vikander-the-light-between-oceans-interview/?************=collidersocial&**********=twitter&**********=social&************=collidersocial&**********=twitter&**********=social&************=collidersocial&**********=twitter&**********=social"]http://collider.com/alicia-vikander-the-light-between-oceans-interview/?************=collidersocial&**********=twitter&**********=social&************=collidersocial&**********=twitter&**********=social&************=collidersocial&**********=twitter&**********=social[/URL]

Heidi_w_ 30-08-16 22:57

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]^ Cool! So we might get our first glimpse at Alicia!Lara by Xmas after all :)[/COLOR]

Tonyrobinson 30-08-16 23:11

If all goes well there's a high chance of that especially when they shoot on location. :)