Tomb Raider Forums

Tomb Raider Forums (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Software Development (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Meta2tr update. (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=135733)

HeinzFritz 14-06-13 07:52

I have not yet played MoA but If Titak really did manage to encrypt her levels after editing in Meta2tr, then I would be nice if she would write a tutorial about how to do it. I am sure it would be appreciated by all involved level creators, especially those tormented by the horrible dilemma I mentioned.

Niveus 14-06-13 08:22

I think it has been the case for some time, that TRNG had the ability to encrypt .tr4 files that have been messed with by meta2tr. I have no means to check right now though, so I apologise. Maybe it is a feature of meta2tr, instead, but I do not think it is hidden or using some secret method to accomplish it.

meta2tr 14-06-13 08:47

[QUOTE=HeinzFritz;6823436]If Titak really did manage to encrypt her levels after editing in Meta2tr, then I would be nice if she would write a tutorial about how to do it.[/QUOTE]

Encrypting levels is now very simple thanks to Paolone's TRNG_Crypter tool which is found in the Tools folder. Here's a quote from the readme:

[QUOTE]
The TRNG_Crypter utilty has a precise target: when you wish your levels were crypted but, at same moment, you need to perform changes on tr4 level in post-production, for example using meta2tr program, you need to use TRNG_Crypter, since it gives you the chance to crypt when you wish a tr4 file in same crypting format of trng engine.
[/QUOTE]

Titak 14-06-13 10:01

^
That is indeed what I used, so no big secrets here. :D

I decided to encrypt my levels so people would not be able to make changes to the levels I made.
If someone contacts me about some objects and textures, I'm willing to share most of the time and I'll compile a wad or TGA with the objects and textures requested. :D
Unless I'd like to use the objects and textures myself again in the future, like in my next MoA levels. (Zip, Alister and Winston come to mind)

I just don't want people messing around with the levels themselves simply because most of the stuff in them is custom made and it took me a lot of time and effort to make the levels the way I wanted them to be. Hence the encrypting. :p

HeinzFritz 14-06-13 11:31

@Titak & Meta2tr, thanks for the clarification. I had no idea about this tool for the simple reason that I still use TREP. I suppose that it can not be used for TREP created levels.
Anyway, now it is even more mysterious to me why so few people make use of the wonderful possibilities that the almost limitless Meta2tr tool offers.

Titak 14-06-13 16:37

TRNG does add a header to the levels and the encrypter might need/use this header to work properly.

But you could try and use the tool on your TREP level anyway.
No harm doen when it fails, right? Especially not if you make a backup of the tr4 file first. :D

HeinzFritz 29-06-13 10:32

Modified version of Meta2tr 7e

To make adding or changing objects to already finished or half finished levels edited in Metaseq, I have taken the liberty to slightly modify Meta2tr's marvelous tool so that when it unpacks an archive .tr4 with another outfit, object etc, it starts numbering the .bmp tiles from Tile101.bmp, Tile201.bmp or Tile301.bmp, (by using 100m2tr.exe, 200m2tr.exe or 300m2tr.exe - depending on the highest number of Tile.bmp in the .tr4 file to be modified).

You may find it useful or not, for me it works like a charm.

[B][URL="http://rapidshare.com/files/1179785316/Meta2Tr7e%20Modified.zip"]Here[/URL][/B] is the folder with all 3 versions.

sapper 29-06-13 10:42

[QUOTE=Titak;6823838]TRNG does add a header to the levels and the encrypter might need/use this header to work properly.

But you could try and use the tool on your TREP level anyway.
No harm doen when it fails, right? Especially not if you make a backup of the tr4 file first. :D[/QUOTE]

It will fail since only TRNG (and Paolone) knows how to decrypt the level data.
A TREP'd tomb4.exe won't know how.

BTW I don't think the header gets encrypted, only the level data.
And for those who know how to use a hex editor you can tell an encrypted TR4 level by the signature first few bytes. Normally it is TR4/0 but for an NG encrypted level it is TR4c.

Cochrane 29-06-13 12:32

Is there any public documentation on the encryption format available somewhere? I'm thinking about [url=http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=197508&page=21]the OpenTomb engine[/url]. It would be great if that could open encrypted levels, too (it currently fails hard when trying to do so).

[size=1]If someone knows more about it and wishes to disclose it only in private, under condition of secrecy: Please don't. OpenTomb is open source, so the knowledge how levels get decrypted will be made public. If you don't want that, that's okay, but then the only possibly response for any OpenTomb developer is to not implement the decryption at all, and then all the information is just pointless.[/size]

Niveus 29-06-13 12:38

Personally I don't think many will want the encryption format to be public :o

Only those who want to use that encryption format for their own programs, and those who want to take objects, animations and textures without permission. I don't know how useful it would be to the average custom level player, but it still could happen that some programmer might make/edit a program to open the encrypted files.