www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Shadow of the Tomb Raider (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Shadow of the Tomb Raider - General Chat (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=219557)

Ellioft 11-12-18 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by charmedangelin (Post 8020842)
I also said she is a basic bitch and there is no denying that. She is beyond generic and boring.

I prefered when you couldn't post your toxic negativity to be honest.

iWANEX 11-12-18 20:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soma Holiday (Post 8020845)
Lolol it just makes sense to me!! :hug: but i do like all the lara's. Sure i have my favorites and least favorites but i don't harbor any hatred for them like some folks do. As long as lara loves adventure and history and raiding tombs I'll love her for it! :o

That's pretty much my approach too. Every iteration has had something special so far.

charmedangelin 11-12-18 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellioft (Post 8020853)
I prefered when you couldn't post your toxic negativity to be honest.

I'm not being toxic or negative, I'm being real.

Also please don't start with me.

Patrick star 11-12-18 20:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by charmedangelin (Post 8020828)
Not surprising, there is nothing interesting about her. She's a basic bitch Mary Sue, why would anyone find that appealing?

They justified that by saying it's because she's a white British woman who ventures to the remotest places of the earth and steals artifacts from natives to place in her mansion , which basically describes Classic Lara more than Reboot Lara . If that makes the character "bad" then by all means give us more bad characters .

She's basic and boring in your opinion , don't claim that it's a scientific fact like you always do , I don't suppose you've learnt anything from the countless bans , which is sad .

leomage 11-12-18 20:53

It's weird the hang ups some of us have around Lara's morality or lack thereof. Like, Nathan Drake is openly a thief. He breaks into museums to steal things. He kills hundreds. But we don't have a thousand and one thinkpieces about whether or not he's a good person or a psychopath.

And I feel like it has gotten worse since she's been presented as hero or a "protector". That's not relatable. Imo Lara should hunt down treasures because it's fun. And at the end of the day she should do the morally right thing... reluctantly. She'd love to take relics and keep them in her home, but she won't... probably... most of the time :whi:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soma Holiday (Post 8020837)
I like all the Lara's but this notion Reboot Lara is a Mary Sue baffles me. She's got so many issues emotionally, she's a hermit selfish borderline depressive who, while beautiful, is not inexplicably sexy on top of it all. Sure she saves the world alot but lara has always done that. Compared to Legend Lara who is smart, social, sexy, beautiful, stylish, and also overtly good natured i don't see why everyone thinks Reboot lara is so goody goody.

I like this description of reboot Lara but the games do sometimes come off as unrealistically preachy imo. We've had two games in a row where Lara has inexplicably managed to convince the cautious indigenous people that she's not like those other outsiders.
"Sure, I came here for the same relic they did, and sure I caused an apocalypse while doing so, but you can trust me" And they just do? :confused:
Shadow gave slightly more explanation than Rise ("they killed my father") and raised the issue of Lara's flaws once or twice ("Not everything is about you", "Abby said not to break anything") but nothing much comes of it. It's like the devs are approaching the topics of colonisation and appropriation and then refusing to engage with them meaningfully.

With that said, I agree that the VG247 comments are completely unfair, especially to Camilla who gave amazing performances in the main cutscenes.

charmedangelin 11-12-18 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick star (Post 8020877)
They justified that by saying it's because she's a white British woman who ventures to the remotest places of the earth and steals artifact from natives to place in her mansion , which basically describes Classic Lara more than Reboot Lara .

She's basic and boring in your opinion , don't claim that it's a scientific fact like you always do , I don't suppose you've learnt anything from the countless bans .

What do bans have to do with anything? The last ban was a misunderstanding with another member privately and the ban before that was reversed because again it was a misunderstanding.

Don't get personal with me because I'll have to defend myself against any and all accusations made against me and it won't be a fun endeavor for anyone.

Yuna´s Wish 11-12-18 21:01

Every Lara is the same: she'll stop at nothing. It doesn't matter whether she's sarcastic, sassy, smart, sexy, innocent, naive, silly, overconfident, guilty or a killing machine during the journey...she's always driven by her own obsessions and goals (call it an artifact, undoing the release of an Egyptian deity, proving she didn't kill a friend, finding her mother, surviving against a cult in an island, proving his father wasn't crazy, or destroying Trinity).

And in that pursuit, the only difference between classic Lara and reboot Lara is that classic Lara has come to accept who she is and embraces her obsessions and goals. Reboot Lara doesn't fully comprehend she's obsessed. Even Jonah tries to make Lara admit she's driven by a revenge obsession...and Lara denies it.

She's on her own selfish pursuit, but the "saving the world" theme always shows up. In every TR. I can't blame Eidos Montrčal or Crystal Dynamics for following the pattern that CORE installed in the first place. The antagonist is the one bringing the subject each time, since Lara doesn't compete against fellow adventurers...

...she deals with atlantean queens, Italian mafiosos, mad scientists, Egyptian gods...

Either she beats them or the world is over. It's as silly as that. Even if Lara played for sport, the antagonist would always bring the "world in peril" card to the table.

Oh, and every Lara rocks.

Patrick star 11-12-18 21:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by charmedangelin (Post 8020883)
What do bans have to do with anything? The last ban was a misunderstanding with another member privately and the ban before that was reversed because again it was a misunderstanding.

Don't get personal with me because I'll have to defend myself against any and all accusations made against me and it won't be a fun endeavor for anyone.

Stop presenting your opinions as facts , that is all .

charmedangelin 11-12-18 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick star (Post 8020887)
Don't present your opinions as facts , is all .

She is boring and basic, there is nothing unique and interesting about her. Ask around, they'll tell you the same.

Also it doesn't matter what your intentions are, there is zero reason for personal insults.

Patrick star 11-12-18 21:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by charmedangelin (Post 8020889)
She is boring and basic, there is nothing unique and interesting about her. Ask around, they'll tell you the same.

Ask around ? where ?

They'll tell me the same ? who ?

She's not boring and basic , and there are many interesting things about her . How about that ?

Quote:

Also it doesn't matter what your intentions are, there is zero reason for personal insults.
I didn't "insult" you , just made an observation .