www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider Level Editor (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Create a Classic Competition 2019 (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=223038)

klona 12-11-19 19:12

Hmm...
https://i.imgur.com/CfCwMbn.jpg

dcw123 12-11-19 19:17

*shrugs*

I'd love to see how some of ya'll would react to a massively disrespectful review like that.

I can take criticism - I welcomed the reviews gladly and I wasn't expecting much other than average marks..

But to give a level 3 or 4 when it clearly is not - is just bedlam.
As if it was a level built by the infamous Cain or something

All this BS from one single person and its really making me question some people on this forum.... how they can even defend these things..
This is the last you're all gonna hear on the matter - I'm not gonna continue this conversation and sour this thread any further with this childishness.

Really surprised nobody said anything regarding the matter either - glad to know at least some people on this forum know how to write an honest, clear review with legit reasons for their saying so.

Joey79100 12-11-19 20:06

Rude would be something more like "it sucks" or "you suck". Here everything is explained, it's a bit harsh but not disrespectful.

Also I haven't played your game so I can't judge, but:
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcw123 (Post 8151396)
"gameplay here is all about opening doors to pass through areas to pick up puzzle items or pulling the levers"
Erm.. have you ever played a TR level before in your life? This is kind of how they work .. as have most other levels in this comp.

That's in fact really annoying. When it's only that, without any sense of doing something bigger, or having to think, it's just annoying. You find a pickup, you put it in its hole, and repeat. Or you find a switch, pull it and continue. And 99% of TRLE games only have this as a gameplay. Core's puzzles were essentially made of that, it's true, but it was disguised as something, for example finding some cogs to complete a full cog setup, a detonator to blow up a cave, etc. So it was entertaining, cause even if it was the same principle, it felt new. And everytime, but mostly in TR1 and TR4, they tried to make puzzles where it was more than that, where you had to think about what you were doing, to do it right. They tried making new things. TRLE games, on the other hand, usually only rely on existing mechanics, in a simplified version, so you end up with having to find a well hidden item, put it wherever it fits, and it magically opens a door. Even if there is no sign of a mechanism or anything. And same story with switches: you have to go somewhere to find a well hidden switch so it can open a door in a place with absolutely no visible connection just so you can move forward. This is just annoying, because it doesn't even feel like the builder is trying to make it look like it's part of something. It's just a world made up for the players to spend their time in running around, making hard jumps, and occasionally keep their Action key down with guns drawn to eliminate occasional dumb enemies that you can just avoid by, again, jumping around. It's hardly something you can call "gameplay", especially when that simplified formula has been reused and abused so much over the years.
So, I repeat, I haven't played your game yet, but if that's all you have to do in it, then yes, the gameplay has nothing interesting.

dcw123 12-11-19 20:20

^ I was kind of being ironic when I said that.. I totally get what you are saying - but as you say.. every level in existence boils down to that formula.

Those who have played me level (while it wasn't shown via some fancy cutscene or flyby) did have a main puzzle which intended to by dynamic. You just had to use your imagination..
I wanted to do way more with the cogs etc (something like TRC's Rome) but I just ran out of time and had to do what I did instead.

The idea is Lara opens a floodgate/door in a cistern which allows water to flow into the connecting room (indicated by textures in the room)
This water eventually funnels into another room (which Lara revisits) showing the water... cogs turning, traps now activated.. doors opened..
She basically turned everything on.
I think thats a little more thought than just, throw a switch and open a door.

But yes, my main criticism I've taken from this is to lengthen my levels and maybe add some more gameplay (which I could have done)
I sort of had TR1's Caves or TR2's Great Wall in mind when I made this level - (and some of it was directly from the Beta TR4 demo also)

So yeah, it wasn't full of death defying pixel perfect times jumps and traps - thats not what I was going for.. and therefore it should NOT be judged as such just because its an easy raid..

I'm not even gonna post anymore in this thread - this is winding me up no end.
Dunno whether its best to just review via TRLE.net and then post my final scores for the top 5 (or top 3) winners here for my vote?
Or should I review each level as I play them as others have done..

Letsmakeghost 12-11-19 20:30

@Dcw123 I am very new to all of this TRLE but I really enjoyed your level. I could never make anything even half as good. You should be very proud of it.

dcw123 12-11-19 21:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Letsmakeghost (Post 8151444)
@Dcw123 I am very new to all of this TRLE but I really enjoyed your level. I could never make anything even half as good. You should be very proud of it.

Thank you.. and yes - regardless of what other people may think - I am proud of it because I know I tried my best (with my current skill level) my best that I could.
I'm also glad that I managed to fix this level and fully complete it (something thats been an issue in the past)

On a lighter note..
Just finished SirDanielPonces level and it totally blew me away (pun intended)
Loved all the custom touches and ideas and even some cool little easter eggs with the music :p
I'm embarrassed to say my overall runtime was like 2 hours 40 but I did enjoy exploring everywhere I could and simply admiring the level.

All Tomb Raider out for today, next level tomorrow after I get home from work :)

Reggie 12-11-19 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarlenaCrystal (Post 8151368)
I guess, there is some love needed here. ;)

I played your levelset, @Reggie and also your Lost Library, @dcw123.

Reggie, your levelset was phenomenal and unique, I think I never had an experience like this in a Custom Level before.
Absolutely "amazong"! :D
Let alone the artistic design choice with the TR3 and comic-style atmosphere was very coherent and fitting after all.
The whole thing, the storytelling and with all the guns and explosions felt like a game or a movie with cliches and the feel of "too much", but in a positive way!
Unfortunately some of the large areas looked a bit too wallpapered like and empty and it's really sad, cause you proved that you can do sooo much better, especially in the starting area!
Nevertheless the storytelling is progressing very well and there were so many cool easter eggs and tense moments.
You've put so much work into all these edited objects and textures and it was absolutely worth it.
I could understand if someone might not like your levelset, the TR community sometimes seems to be very strict if it comes to new ideas and different "unknown" ways in gameplay design, but there definitely should be more brave people who dare this step into new directions. It was a fun game after all! Thank you for this. :)

[IMG]https://abload.de/img/amazonstatisticsnbk0c.png[IMG]

PS: the flamethrower boss could have been a little bit weaker, I first thought he wasn't killable at all.^^'

Thanks, that was a nice review! I agree with you that certain areas were a bit wallpapered. I made so many transitions but didn't leave myself enough time with all the customisation to properly implement the assets that had been created. I'm glad I was able to pull it all together in time for the deadline and even more so when I get feedback like that.

In terms of scoring, I mainly just hope that the score for this eventually improves on my debut level but we'll see!

MarlenaCrystal 12-11-19 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcw123 (Post 8151463)
Thank you.. and yes - regardless of what other people may think - I am proud of it because I know I tried my best (with my current skill level) my best that I could.
I'm also glad that I managed to fix this level and fully complete it (something thats been an issue in the past)

You seemed to overread my positive feedback from today. I enjoyed your level, too. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reggie (Post 8151466)
Thanks, that was a nice review! I agree with you that certain areas were a bit wallpapered. I made so many transitions but didn't leave myself enough time with all the customisation to properly implement the assets that had been created. I'm glad I was able to pull it all together in time for the deadline and even more so when I get feedback like that.

In terms of scoring, I mainly just hope that the score for this eventually improves on my debut level but we'll see!

You're welcome! It was a really enjoyable levelset and if you would have had more time, then it would might have been even better. :)

Teone 13-11-19 12:31

The Pyramid of Horus by Sabatu
https://i.imgur.com/V0GEV36.jpg

TR4 Egypt is one of my favourite set of the whole serie, so yes... I enjoyed this level very much.

Hostile Waters by SrDanielPonce
https://i.imgur.com/wDRdK0Q.jpg

I'd be surprised if this game doesn't win.
BTW Daniel, I sent you a PM yesterday but got no answer. Did you receive it?

mtyler87 13-11-19 17:29

Hi all, I'm a long time lurker of this forum and a big fan. I don't usually post because I'm not all that social, but I felt your response (@dcw123) to OverRaider was very unfair and rude!

I get that you're upset because you've put a lot of effort into your level and the reviewer didn't 'get' your level as you intended, but this is just his/her opinion which he/she had the right too and I saw no malice in what they wrote, just their honestly opinion. I feel the issue is how you perceived it and took personal offence where I believe no offence was intended.

You will always get someone who doesn't 'get' your work, but it doesn't mean you should attack them or get upset enough to let it ruin your day.
I haven't tried your level so I can't give my opinion, but no matter how well made something it, you'll always get someone who didn't care much for it or perhaps just insult your work for no reason other than spite (I don't believe this is the case here).


I feel it's good to get un-bias reviews from someone and I respect OverRaider's honest in their reviews.


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:54.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.