www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider Level Editor (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Create a Classic Competition 2019 (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=223038)

Craig Michaels 17-11-19 10:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by croftyboy (Post 8152574)
So who knows, maybe I can continue making levels sometime.

I hope so! I am Cbl on trle.net and posted a review there. As I said in my review, I liked the architecture and the openness, even though there were areas where you could improve in the future. TR3 India levels have always been some of my favorites. I especially enjoyed the water level changing puzzles, and I liked the last area outside where Lara could run around the treetops.

Titak 17-11-19 10:45

Practice makes perfect. :D

When it comes to natural environments, like a jungle, it is always nice to have small mounts/dents in the floor. So instead of being perfectly flat, it is nice to raise/lower the floor here and there to make it uneven.
Just with one- or two-clicks.

Baslakor 17-11-19 15:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by croftyboy (Post 8152574)
Thank you. For some reason I am not really good at building closed off/claustrophobic spaces like the Jungle of TR3(especially the second level of the game).
At the beginning I tried making the jungle very limited, dark and claustrophobic. But I didn't like how it looked and went with my inner voice, making it lighted, wide and somewhat explorable.

Thankfully I got very little amount of harsh comments, I am not a professional level builder and some of the other participants are very very good at TRLE. Some people forgot that and judged as if I am equally talented. And some people, even if they didn't like the overall game, gave credits to the aspects they've liked. So it is generally liked. Most of the people who reviewed on TRLE.net see me as a promising builder for my future works. So who knows, maybe I can continue making levels sometime.

Although you're new to level building, I really enjoyed your level. Don't let harsh (unfair) criticism let you down! It was a good level, especially for a debut level. The editor is basically just working with boxes, so creating an organic jungle area is not an easy pick for your debut! Keep practicing and study other levels and in no time you'll be among the top!

dcw123 17-11-19 16:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baslakor (Post 8152645)
Although you're new to level building, I really enjoyed your level. Don't let harsh (unfair) criticism let you down! It was a good level, especially for a debut level. The editor is basically just working with boxes, so creating an organic jungle area is not an easy pick for your debut! Keep practicing and study other levels and in no time you'll be among the top!

I retextured all the classics to have 'beta' blank textures to show the shape of the world.. really helps me to look at areas with lighting etc applied in this way.
I replayed all the classics like this to get to grips with the design.
This was a loooong time ago though, kinda neglected trle for a while

Would love to know how some of these amazing effects were actually pulled off (i know some are plugins)
DanielSirPonces and LoreRaider - probably two of the best levels I've played in a long time that actually felt like a classic TR level - thanks to the extra stuff we are now able to do thanks to new editors and techniques.
I wish one day that all classic enemies and such would eventually be possible

Just seeing things like reverb and the classic inventory back - beautiful

SrDanielPonces 17-11-19 17:47

The reverb in Lore's Puna's Revenge is basically a bunch of GlobalTriggers that will play a pre-reverbed sound (in a different sound slot) everytime xyz sounds were played.

What do you mean by your sentence? Even though builders had help and suggestions from others, doesn't make their work less than others.
For example, Lore tested my first beta testing phase. He helped me saying which parts could be improved, how could I make it better and also suggested what I should do to make the caves prettier (add Tr1 vines and use some Tr3 Gold textures). It ended up being my effort and work despite being some others suggestion.

No one worked directly on the others levels.

dcw123 17-11-19 18:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by SrDanielPonces (Post 8152670)
The reverb in Lore's Puna's Revenge is basically a bunch of GlobalTriggers that will play a pre-reverbed sound (in a different sound slot) everytime xyz sounds were played.

What do you mean by your sentence? Even though builders had help and suggestions from others, doesn't make their work less than others.
For example, Lore tested my first beta testing phase. He helped me saying which parts could be improved, how could I make it better and also suggested what I should do to make the caves prettier (add Tr1 vines and use some Tr3 Gold textures). It ended up being my effort and work despite being some others suggestion.

No one worked directly on the others levels.

Awww.. sorry - I didn't mean to cause offence. I struggle wording things sometimes and it comes off as really rude.
I realised what I had put and was like OMG.. *facepalm*
What you said (bold) is what I was getting at.
But I completely understand your point

I honestly dunno who to chose for 1st place! Gonna be a tough one :)
Still need to play NINE more levels... but now I have more free time I can get back to playing them again

noonbob 17-11-19 18:25

You don't even want to know how many levels I'm stuck on :p

The Russian Base - Amazing game but I've just given up.
Reggie's - Great game but I'm stuck
Sleeping with the fishes - Another great game but I am stuck.
SrDanielPonces - Just started and I'm trying to get to the bottom but keep dying. I must be going the wrong way right?

dcw123 17-11-19 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by noonbob (Post 8152679)
You don't even want to know how many levels I'm stuck on :p

The Russian Base - Amazing game but I've just given up.
Reggie's - Great game but I'm stuck
Sleeping with the fishes - Another great game but I am stuck.
SrDanielPonces - Just started and I'm trying to get to the bottom but keep dying. I must be going the wrong way right?

Without trying to be spoilery .. yes - onwards and upwards

One of the reasons I love this level.. all the little details and neat tricks - coz I too got stumpted, until I started thinking outside the 'standard TR' box

Probably the ONLY level so far I have given up on is In The Highlands..
I just have no clue where to go after the crowbar, and the fact I could run around the entire section due to jumping over barriers etc.. confused me even more - I couldn't tell if I have gone out of bounds, or if these parts were legit parts of the level (sorry to the builder)

I've been using DoggettTV's amazing YT walkthroughs (only occassionally mind) if I got super stuck.. but he hadn't played that level yet so..

SrDanielPonces 17-11-19 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by noonbob (Post 8152679)

Yep. The bottom is where you came from so there's no point in going down. You can interact with the pipe though :)

noonbob 17-11-19 18:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by SrDanielPonces (Post 8152687)
Yep. The bottom is where you came from so there's no point in going down.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to do first. Maybe I didn't touch it enough or in the right place :p