www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider Level Editor (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Create a Classic Competition 2019 (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=223038)

SrDanielPonces 16-07-19 15:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentXP (Post 8107308)
EDIT: SrDanielPonces Someone was asking about the use of the TR5 slingshot as a weapon, and I said that was ok, so I'd say use your discretion. If it's e.g. a new puzzle hole and it fits with the classic theme of your level in your opinion, you can use it as part of your new object allowance.

As for actual Lara moves, the guidelines are to include moves from TR5 or the faster shimmy/climb up.

Oh, in that case I think I'm skipping this one. I like to be innovative and add new features to my levels (not new direct animations for Lara, but new interactable objects which require completely new animations, as well as puzzle cutscenes etc)... so maybe this competition is not going to be for me ahah

Good luck to everyone else!

Dustie 16-07-19 15:59

Honestly, I think that should be allowed... if it's to the same extent as with your ORC level then I don't see why it would be a problem, Core also used special dedicated animations which were executed either "on the fly" during Lara's interaction with objects (like the trident statues) or as separate cutscenes (like the shovel digging or chloroform cloth ambushing).

I feel like the "classic" feel comes from the texture and model assets and new interactions with objects do not disrupt it.

Might be worth settling this topic out now, while it's still early.

SrDanielPonces 16-07-19 16:04

^ Yup, that's exactly the kind of stuff I like to implement in my levels. It's up to Agent to clarify whether that's allowed or not.

tomblover 16-07-19 16:10

I'd like to use the extended crawlspace flexibility set for my level - is that verboten, then? Going for a TR3.5 vibe...

AgentXP 16-07-19 17:24

@SrDanielPonces I would say that your ORC was very much in the spirit of this competition, so if you create another level like that, then it should be fine. :tmb:

I very much enjoyed that level, but don't remember any different animations apart from the cog puzzle :ponder: (and that sort of addition is fine in CaC)

Quote:

I feel like the "classic" feel comes from the texture and model assets and new interactions with objects do not disrupt it.
^ My thoughts exactly Dustie :)

@FreakRaider Just in case there is misunderstanding, you are allowed to use more than 12 objects per level - you are only allowed to include around 12 NEW (not TR1-5) objects in your WAD, to keep the level feeling classic.

As for meta, if people want to use it to merge objects and improve level performance , then that should be fine :tmb: - However, I'm really not sure that creating HD custom geometry with meta is in the spirit of this competition, same as having too many extra HD objects. The idea is that people create a level using mainly CLASSIC assets... so it really depends on what you plan on doing with meta...

dcw123 16-07-19 18:01

Been away on holiday so haven't done much since last time..

Great work everyone - can't wait to play all of these levels :D

Reggie 16-07-19 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentXP (Post 8110235)
As for meta, if people want to use it to merge objects and improve level performance , then that should be fine :tmb: - However, I'm really not sure that creating HD custom geometry with meta is in the spirit of this competition, same as having too many extra HD objects. The idea is that people create a level using mainly CLASSIC assets... so it really depends on what you plan on doing with meta...

I would assume custom geo is ok though? Like half width walls, arches/columns? Even in TR1 they were using objects to flesh out what couldn't be achieved using the grid like the columns in the Damocles room, the Hammer in Thor, the myriad of objects in Natla's Mines and memorably the Sphinx face.

I have a pretty clear idea of what to go for but I can see how customisation is necessary based on context.

FreakRaider 16-07-19 19:22

agentxp i meant merging objects into geometry or possibly changing the shape of some things, no new hd objects.

thanks dir clarifying!

Topixtor 16-07-19 19:36

Waited a bit because I wanted to see if things started working, but now I'm pretty sure I will end this in time! :)

I'm going for a Monastery level (TR2 engine) :D

SrDanielPonces 16-07-19 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentXP (Post 8110235)
@SrDanielPonces I would say that your ORC was very much in the spirit of this competition, so if you create another level like that, then it should be fine. :tmb:

I very much enjoyed that level, but don't remember any different animations apart from the cog puzzle :ponder: (and that sort of addition is fine in CaC)

That's great to know! The only animations I added was the cog ones indeed, and these are the kind of animations I am reffering when I mention about "new content"! I obviously still want to keep the classic looks and gameplay.
---

I'm very happy to attempt continuing this adventure!
I've already tweaked a bit of the Lara skin I tweaked last year :vlol:

https://i.imgur.com/ynA21BE.png