www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   General Final Fantasy Thread (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=86691)

SnatchingEdges 14-04-20 20:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAID (Post 8187225)
Is FF7R worth getting?

Asking as someone who stopped being a Final Fantasy fan after the atrocious FFX due to how embarrassing the game was with its childish direction, melodrama, bad voice acting and numerous/endless/slow/pointless/unskipable cutscenes.

So if it's any of the things I mentioned above, please just say it's not for me.

It is a very good jrpg. The drama and the themes aren't childish as they also weren't in FFX, but a lot of interactions between characters tend to be too campy and anime-y.

XXIIXX 14-04-20 20:16

Edit: Beat me to it ^

In short it is a much more personal verson of the Midgar section of the original game. It's really good. The direction is far from childish (Final Fantasy X is in no way shape or form childish either) and the voice acting is great, though the Japanese voiceovers are always superior. Some characters act a little too "anime" at times though but it's not distracting or off-putting.

Greenapple968 14-04-20 20:25

I've played Final Fantasy 10 many times, and the only thing that I consider to be childish is the character Rikku. :p When I was younger I found her to be funny and playful, but nowadays I consider her to be childish and annoying. :p

Lord Lulu 14-04-20 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenapple968 (Post 8187040)
Are there no Spyro fans on this forum? :mis: My Spyro thread hasn't had any replies. :cry:

I only max out Tidus, Wakka, Auron, Yuna and Rikku; I don't go very far with Lulu or Kamarhi. :p I like Yuna because Anima and the Magnus Sisters come in handy against the powerful Arena Monsters when my characters aren't good enough to take them on. Once my characters are able to take down the Arena Monsters, I don't have much to gain from Yuna. When my characters are maxed out, I mostly use Tidus, Wakka and Auron, although Rikku does occasionally come in handy because of her overdrives.

Sorry I have never played Spyro.

Anima and the Magnus Sisters were not that good in the original US release. Their overdrives only hit once. I think it was fixed in the HD remasters. I have used Lulu so much the pad on the controller stick came off.

Quote:

Is FF7R worth getting?

Asking as someone who stopped being a Final Fantasy fan after the atrocious FFX due to how embarrassing the game was with its childish direction, melodrama, bad voice acting and numerous/endless/slow/pointless/unskipable cutscenes.

So if it's any of the things I mentioned above, please just say it's not for me.

If you think Final fantasy 10 is bad, try playing Final Fantasy 13.

SnatchingEdges 14-04-20 22:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Lulu (Post 8187295)
If you think Final fantasy 10 is bad, try playing Final Fantasy 13.

So he can play an actual good game? :jmp:

Lord Lulu 14-04-20 23:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnatchingEdges (Post 8187300)
So he can play an actual good game? :jmp:

Lol, very funny. I tried getting into that game a few times never did. Needing to read everything to understand what is going on is a bad game design choice. That is a lot of reading and eye strain for me to even try.

Final Fantasy 12 is a better game than 13. I never finished it, but it is better. If I were to try and go back to it, I would just skip most of the optional stuff. I never understood what relationship Balthier and Fran had.

New Dwight 15-04-20 00:23

Quote:

Is FF7R worth getting?

It has a lot of swearing for a Teen Rated game.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Lulu (Post 8187314)
Lol, very funny. I tried getting into that game a few times never did. Needing to read everything to understand what is going on is a bad game design choice. That is a lot of reading and eye strain for me to even try.

Final Fantasy 12 is a better game than 13. I never finished it, but it is better. If I were to try and go back to it, I would just skip most of the optional stuff. I never understood what relationship Balthier and Fran had.

It's a colleague type-partner ship. fan fics pair them as a couple.

SnatchingEdges 15-04-20 00:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Lulu (Post 8187314)
That is a lot of reading and eye strain for me to even try.

It's not. You only have to read what a fal'cie, l'Cie are and that's all. All is implied in the dialogues anyway, why would the characters directly explain what those concepts are if they already know? This is not FFX where Tidus didn't know about Spira.

I never understood that critique. It's JRPG, you have to read, and the basics are no more than 10 minutes of reading if you didn't pay attention to the dialogues.

FF12 is worse since you have to kill certain amount of monsters in order to unlock the entries and learn more abt the lore and its concepts.

I mean: Fal'Cie: demi gods

L'Cie: chosen by the Fal'Cie with an specific mission to fulfill. If they do, they'll turn into crystals; on the contrary, they'll become monsters called Cie'th. That's half of the story.

charmedangelin 15-04-20 00:53

Final Fantasy X is the best FF game I ever played. The first one is hardly childish, the game is completely depressing with it's emphasis on death, suffering, grief, and sacrifice. It's a pretty dark FF game even for my standards.

FFX-2 is childish, but that makes sense because the characters are finally able to be themselves and have some fun, especially Yuna who restricted herself for the sake of completing her rightful duty's to pacify the world of Sin.

I absolutely love FFX and don't see it bad at all.

I actually enjoyed the story of FFXIII as well. While it wasn't an open game and a bit of a departure from classic FF of old, the story and characters were also pretty memorable.

SnatchingEdges 15-04-20 01:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by charmedangelin (Post 8187327)
FFX-2 is childish, but that makes sense because the characters are finally able to be themselves and have some fun, especially Yuna who restricted herself for the sake of completing her rightful duty's to pacify the world of Sin.

Omg finally who understands this.

I would say that X-2 is the only childish one. From VI to XIII talk about heavy stuff. In X you literally have a villain aiming to destroy the world in order to save it; death= salvation seems pretty heavy to me. Also its depiction of religion is perfect, not portrayed as only good or bad.