Tomb Raider Forums

Tomb Raider Forums (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Shadow of the Tomb Raider (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Shadow of the Tomb Raider - General Chat (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=219557)

Athukraz 24-07-19 21:36

[QUOTE=johnanonymouz;8113527]Chronicles exists[/QUOTE]

It was more interesting tbh. I loved seeing past adventures of Lara and the Croft Manor fmvs with the hellish storm outside representing Lara's "death". And it blessed us with Ireland :cln:. The ending was also better. Finding the backpack and not a body.

The LAU story was not terrible because it's about her parents which all of us hate. They were interesting and kept you wondering where exactly is that Amelia woman. Some people hate it cause it's about her parents but objectively they're ok. Better than Shadow at least

Patrick star 24-07-19 21:42

[QUOTE=AntRaidsTombs;8113521]I’ll say Shadow > TR 13 > Rise

I replayed Rise recently and although the gameplay is great, I see what people meant by it’s sort of boring story wise after TR 13.[/QUOTE]

Rise's story -despite its many flaws- kind of does the job , and wasn't advertised or overhyped to be anymore than it actually is , Konstantin and Ana were relatively good characters , and so was Jacob , imo .

Shadow's on the other hand is all over the place , was ridiculously over-hyped in the promo to be this epic stupendous nuanced story of Lara rushing to stop a dark apocalypse that's engulfing everything and discover her morally grey questionable "villainous" side destroying Trinity in the process .

And we didn't get any of that . The story wasn't epic , Lara wasn't morally grey , she was still her goody-two-shoes self , the apocalypse barely felt like it's there , Trinity got a dirty reduction to village babysitters and were destroyed off-screen in a radio exchange , Uniratu felt like a glorified Sofia , Etzli is insufferable , and Dominguez's extreme lameness and unremarkable forgettable status as a villain rivals that of Willard and Marco Bartoli , and that's saying something.

If only EM didn't worship Paititi that much....

biscuits 24-07-19 21:45

Yeah at least Rise didn't over hype itself. EM kept advertising Shadow as this big, climactic finale to Lara's origin story. It also promised to be dark and emotional with a morally grey Lara. I actually believed that they would deliver on all that.

AntRaidsTombs 24-07-19 21:51

[QUOTE=biscuits;8113541]Yeah at least Rise didn't over hype itself. EM kept advertising Shadow as this big, climactic finale to Lara's origin story. It also promised to be dark and emotional with a morally grey Lara. I actually believed that they would deliver on all that.[/QUOTE]

I just wonder what went wrong. Shadow is still good imo, but I just wonder what happened.

Patrick star 24-07-19 21:52

[QUOTE=biscuits;8113541]Yeah at least Rise didn't over hype itself.[/QUOTE]

Right . Many felt like the title was misleading and that Lara did not "Rise" to anything and that's quite reasonable , but other than that CD didn't overhype the story that much , if any . IIRC the focus of their promo (the ****ty promo Rise recieved that is) was on the gameplay adjustements : more stealth and choice in combat , return of tombs , the new crafting system , the new additions to hubs as well as the graphical jump.

Shadow's promo on the other hand focused in 80% of it on the story and dear precious Paititi .

Grimaldi 24-07-19 21:56

[QUOTE=AntRaidsTombs;8113542]I just wonder what went wrong. Shadow is still good imo, but I just wonder what happened.[/QUOTE]

Paititi.

biscuits 24-07-19 21:57

[QUOTE=AntRaidsTombs;8113542]I just wonder what went wrong. Shadow is still good imo, but I just wonder what happened.[/QUOTE]

Eidos only had like two years to get the game done. They were probably working off of guides or blueprints left by CD. To me, it's like having someone finish off your book that you didn't bother completing.

That's my guess anyway :p

Lyle Croft 24-07-19 21:57

[I]"LARA WILL BECOME THE TOMB RAIDER SHE'S MEANT TO BE"[/I] was probably one of the things that was hyped too much as well.

What we got was well...

Patrick star 24-07-19 22:02

[QUOTE=biscuits;8113547]Eidos only had like two years to get the game done. They were probably working off of guides or blueprints left by CD.[/QUOTE]

Paititi is obviously their full creation from scratch though , they seemed incredibly proud of it , and it was the crown jewel for the "social aspect" , which was their idea as well since it was their answer whenever they were asked "how are you going to make Shadow distinctive and different to the previous CD efforts".

biscuits 24-07-19 22:05

[QUOTE=Patrick star;8113553]Paititi is obviously their full creation from scratch though , they seemed incredibly proud of it , and it was the crown jewel for the "social aspect" , which was their idea as well since it was their answer whenever they were asked "how are you going to make Shadow distinctive and different to the previous CD efforts".[/QUOTE]

Apologies to EM, but I despised it