Tomb Raider Forums

Tomb Raider Forums (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   World of Warcraft - Share your stories (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=223099)

Vaskito 17-07-19 08:29

World of Warcraft - Share your stories

Hey!

How many of you play WoW? How did you start playing it? Tell me your stories!

Here's mine:

I've been playing it for more than 10 years now. I've initially started playing it on private servers (aka illegal servers) back in the day. I had NO idea how the game worked or how to play it. I launched the game, roamed around at a starting zone with no idea what to do, and with no idea how big and amazing the game world was. Oh boy, as up for a bug surprise.

The reason I decided to try it was because there were lots of news about it, and how the expansions were top selling, and the many infamous stuff about people playing it for hours/days and ending up at the hospital (wtf?! xD)

So after that initial, very short and naive try (I was literally clicking on some horsies that were at the human starting zone, trying to mount them - I had zero idea how mounts worked), I dropped it right away.
The following days I've talked about it with my colleagues at school, at how I've tried that game but it was weird and with weird graphics, and I couldn't do anything in it, and one of my friends had already played it sometime in the past so he knew how to play. Soon after, a handful of us started playing it on those private servers, and that's when I started finally learning and understanding how the game plays.

When I say understanding how the game plays, was more like "understanding", because, yea, I got how you had to quest to level up, but I had no idea and no skill on how to play the characters. Ah those good old times :')

As time time went along, and we were leveling, new private servers launched with new expansion, so my colleagues moved to it, and we had to start the leveling all over again - I had never reached max level on the server we were firstly playing, so that leveling process was a real pain, especially for someone who was inexperienced with the game and MMOs. So I switched to the new one and started leveling all over again. I eventually reached max level, and did some content. I have so many good memories playing it with my best friend back in the day when we were total noobs.

In May 2009 I finally switched to the official servers. I finally managed to collect enough Money to buy the game and expansions. And I wouldn't spend any of the Money my mom gave me every week (which wasn't much, but I understood how it hard it was on her, and to be able to give me Money I was always thankful) to buy lunch. I'd save up, so I could pay the bi-monthly subscription. I've been playing it non-stop since then. I started in my late teens, and I'm now on my adulthood experiencing this great game (which has also had its goods and bads over the years)

It's funny how it all started as something really simple, and it turned out to be a big part of my life. I'm so glad for it, and all this time later, I still play it almost everyday (with some ups and downs, but I'm still here :) ). My best friend also played it since then until recently. He became a father, and has moved cities, so has stopped playing for a while, so I've been playing it mostly alone now, but, regardleess, I still find entertaining stuff to do. I think I'll likely play it until Blizzard officially ends the game

Lord Lulu 17-07-19 12:58

I started back in November 2006 after I got back from Kuwait. Played up through Wrath of the Lich King. Then quit for seven years. Then cam back on and off.

Just waiting for Classic WoW to restart my characters. Hope I can keep their names. Or the names of my Warlock minions. I still have the mats for the dreadsteed quest in the bank.

But that was from a time in the first guild I was in. Had a falling out with the GM. The guild went down hill from there.

Vaskito 18-07-19 08:46

I don't think I'll play classic. It's not for me :( I might try it out, but IDK... I don't see the appeal of it all, beyond the nostalgia of the times it was prime. The game is too archaic and lacks so many QoL improvements. But I admire those whose who are willing to grind it out, considering how much of a pain it is