www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Nintendo Switch (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=216493)

Zelda master 23-10-16 17:19

Nintendo Switch

Announced during an investor meeting in March 2015 by the late Satoru Iwata. It was first shown in a trailer on 20 October 2016, the Nintendo Switch is the upcoming home console developed by Nintendo and is set for release in March 2017.

What we know
The Switch is a hybrid system which sits inside of a dock while playing at home, you can detach the Jon-Con controllers from the controllergrip and connect them directly onto the system and continue playing the game you were playing directly on the go. While the dock features two USB 2 connections, one USB 3 connection and a HDMI output, the actual system features an IPS screen of approximately 6 inch with a resolution of 1280*720. It also features: a 3.5mm headphone jack on the tablet, built in kickstand, speakers and a microphone and it uses cartridges as the medium for the games. The systems internals have been developed by Nintendo in cooperation with NVidia, but no specifications have been released.

Since the reveal trailer we've been told a lot of details about the hardware. The system will also have built in WiFi that supports a 5GHz connection and can connect up to eight systems at a time. The system will also support local LAN (depending on the software) up to ten different systems at a single time. The screen is a capacitive touchscreen that supports multi touch as expected from such a screen. The system is region-free for a first time for their consoles and again for the handhelds. The system comes with 32GB (25.9 GB available) but is expandable through Micro SD Cards and will supports up to 2TB once those are available.

The system will be released 3rd of March 2017 for a price of: 29,980 / $299,99 / €329,99. The system comes in two bundles that feature the same content other than the colours of the Joy-Cons (Neon Red/Neon Blue or gray), the box is filled with: The Nintendo Switch, Nintendo Switch Dock, Joy-Con (L&R), Joy-Con Grip, AC Adapter, HDMI Cable and Joy-con Handles.

What we don’t know
While we do know that there will be online play, as of this moment, no price point has been officially been announced. The online play will be free until later this year, they've said they'll announce more details soon.

Do we know any games?

jajay119 23-10-16 17:54

So, to carry on from the old thread about rumoured price point being 400 i'll just repost my last one

Quote:

Originally Posted by jajay119 (Post 7671040)
I think Nintendo need to try to aim for the 350 mark at most. Given most of the tech in the game is an amalgamation and refining of elements found in many of their existing consoles I would hope that this would reduce costs, and was a deliberate factor in design. Also, Nintendo need to take into accound power. It's not the be all and end all but I do think a third generation behind the competition would damage them. The console has been touted as being just less powerful than the PS4. Though with the PS4-Pro launching in the same year with a power boost and a 350 price tag Nintendo need to be competitive if they want to sell well.

They're coming in half way through the conventional cycle so I don't think there is a chance they'll 'catch up' in terms of sales but they seem to be on their own schedule in recent years and seem, perhaps, less bothered by this.

Jami393 23-10-16 18:47

Can you change the info to console hybrid? It's both at the end of the day. Also, Skyrim and NBA 2K have not been confirmed.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/20/13...-not-confirmed

Portugalraider 23-10-16 18:52

I personally think 350$ is the absolute maximum they can go with. 400$ is too much. Besides, most rumors/speculations I've seen seem to go for the 300$ price, which I think it's the most likely.

Either way, there's one thing I still haven't seen here discussed which is of the most utterly importance: Karen! The Mario-playing, rooftop-partying woman from the commercial! She needs to be our 2nd queen! (right after Lara, of course :ton:)

Lara's home 23-10-16 19:13

I agree. I think they'll would go for $299-349 range.

Zelda master 23-10-16 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jami393 (Post 7671115)
Can you change the info to console hybrid? It's both at the end of the day. Also, Skyrim and NBA 2K have not been confirmed.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/20/13...-not-confirmed

And I quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zelda master (Post 7671063)
While no games have officially been announced, many developers and publishers will be working on the Switch in some way. Also the following games have been shown during the trailer:

And does it really matter if I state hybrid system instead of hybrid console? A handheld is still a console. It's a gaming system that's you can use in either form.

Jami393 23-10-16 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zelda master (Post 7671170)
And I quote:

And does it really matter if I state hybrid system instead of hybrid console? A handheld is still a console. It's a gaming system that's you can use in either form.

I was mainly talking about this sentence at the start of the post.

Quote:

It was first shown in a trailer on 20 October 2016, the Nintendo Switch is the upcoming home console developed by Nintendo and is set for release in March 2017.
Which we know it isn't and like we both know, it's a hybrid.

annl 23-10-16 21:04

I believe the price was said to be $210 which in pounds is 203 so with currency differences is will probably be 210 - 220. Nintendo are focusing on low prices.

Portugalraider 23-10-16 21:18

By the way, some games where already officially announced for the Switch:
  • Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • The new 3D Sonic game
  • Just Dance 2017
  • Both Dragon Quest X and XI (at least for Japan)

Not many games true, but they were indeed announced for it.

Zelda master 23-10-16 21:19

Now that you mention it, that was indeed said during E3 and various Investor Meetings. Completely forgot about these. I'll edit the OP asap!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jami393 (Post 7671192)
Which we know it isn't and like we both know, it's a hybrid.

I'm just going by what they've said themselves.

Quote:

“Nintendo Switch is a home gaming system first and foremost,” the company told Polygon when asked if the system was going to impact the sale of the 3DS portable systems. “We have made no announcement regarding the future of Nintendo 3DS.
http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/20/13...-gaming-system
I've mentioned later in the post that it's a hybrid. But it's a home console first and foremost.

Jami393 23-10-16 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zelda master (Post 7671201)
I'm just going by what they've said themselves.

I've mentioned later in the post that it's a hybrid. But it's a home console first and foremost.

I guess that's true.

Anyway, you might need to edit the OP again, ZM. Project Sonic 2016 was not announced at E3. It was announced at the Sonic 25th Anniversary party, just a bit after Sonic Mania.

irishhips 24-10-16 10:22

Gamestop has it for preorder at 499 :(

https://www.gamestop.ie/Nintendo%203...intendo-switch

jackali 24-10-16 11:23

At this stage, prices set by retailers are guesses. The great thing about pre-order sites is that they can change the price at any point - lower and they have to charge you less, higher and they have to tell you so you have a chance to cancel. All they have to do in either case is send out a blanket price change email to people who preorder.

fondantcookie 24-10-16 12:07

I'm really not interested in this...

at all....

I don't get it.

LOL

Portugalraider 24-10-16 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by fondantcookie (Post 7671427)

at all....

I don't get it.

LOL

K :wve:

Jami393 24-10-16 14:03

Quote:

at all....

I don't get it.

LOL

It's a system that will give you the experience of a home console on the go, making it a good example for both markets.

Zelda master 24-10-16 14:27

Quote:

-snip-

Good for you! You want a cookie?

Tommy123 24-10-16 16:39

I'll wait to see the lineup of games before i purchase. I already know Breath of the Wild but i want to see a few more confirmed/details.

SorasDestiny 24-10-16 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommy123 (Post 7671533)
I'll wait to see the lineup of games before i purchase. I already know Breath of the Wild but i want to see a few more confirmed/details.

I'm the same though the issue I have with Nintendo consoles is their lack of longevity. I have no problem with Nintendo's first-party titles but its hard to invest in a console if third party support dries up after a year or two.

I'll probably leave buying the console for a year or two to see if it actually sells and if it attracts a strong following of core gamers. If it attracts a casual audience like the Wii did then I won't bother at all and I get the horrible feeling it will. All the emphasis on playing together and portability has the kid/family vibe written all over it.

topazlink 24-10-16 18:24

Polygon contacted Nintendo and were told:
"Nintendo Switch is dedicated to deliver a single-screen experience, on whatever screen you might choose."

If this is true then it seems to mean that there may be no more maps/inventory (or anything) on a second screen. There have been lots of uses for a second screen when playing games on the Wii U and 3DS, so it'd be sad to see that functionality disappear completely, though I acknowledge that not all games really need it.

I seriously hope the Switch's screen is a touchscreen, good battery life, and that it has a good internet browser. I use my Wii U for internet stuff every day, watching Youtube, checking emails, heck I'm using it right now to post this!

domino92 24-10-16 18:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommy123 (Post 7671533)

I can only hope their launch lineup is better than the WiiU's. It really contributed to the death of that system that there was only two really good games there that were exclusive to the platform.

Tommy123 24-10-16 23:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by domino92 (Post 7671600)
I can only hope their launch lineup is better than the WiiU's. It really contributed to the death of that system that there was only two really good games there that were exclusive to the platform.

Even over the course of its whole lifetime they lacked many decent titles. The Wii U also advertised that it had an extensive list of third party support before launch but we all know how that turned out.

I'll try to stay optimistic as i do truly believe that Nintendo is getting their **** together this time.

domino92 24-10-16 23:51

Already, even knowing very little so far about the device, it's already telling that Nintendo learned their mistakes from the WiiU and is doing a much better job of marketing their new device.

Jami393 25-10-16 11:42

With PlatinumGames being one of their partners, I hope Bayonetta 3 becomes exclusive for the console. We already know that they liked working with Nintendo.

Portugalraider 25-10-16 11:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jami393 (Post 7671997)
With PlatinumGames being one of their partners, I hope Bayonetta 3 becomes exclusive for the console. We already know that they liked working with Nintendo.

Someone will be triggered by this! :P

But Sega clearly has no interest in solely finance any Bayonetta game. But before 3, I wish they port Bayonetta 2 for the Switch (or have both games for the price of one, like with Bayonetta 1 and 2 for the Wii U). That game deserves another chance to sell.

Jami393 25-10-16 11:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Portugalraider (Post 7671998)

Probably. He wouldn't be the only one on the internet to be triggered by this, though.

Quote:

But Sega clearly has no interest in solely finance any Bayonetta game. But before 3, I whish they port Bayonetta 2 for the Switch (or have both games for the price of one, like with Bayonetta 1 and 2 for the Wii U). That game deserves another chance to sell.

It really does deserve another chance. Especially that the owner base of the Switch will more than likely be bigger than the Wii U.

Zelda master 25-10-16 12:08

Quote:

Well I wouldn't mind if that certain someone would triggered, gives me the chance to reuse this again :p

jajay119 25-10-16 12:15

Weren't the sales for Bayonetta 2 positive though? Obvioulsy the Wii had a much smaller install base than the other consoles at the time so it stands to reason it'd sell to a lesser extent.

I think Bayonetta was a good additon to the Nintendo catalogue; it just feels like a Nintendo type of game for some reason. I think if Nintendo were happy with the sales and happy to fund a third game Sega would be fools just to let it lie dormant. No other publishers seem interested.

Zelda master 25-10-16 12:39

Nothing has officially been confirmed, but considering Bayonetta ended up in Smash and that the second game received a new print in America just before her inclusion in Smash, it probably did better than most people will probably think it did. If it's worth another game? No idea, but I really hope they'll port the games over now with a rock solid frame-rate. That'd be absolutely perfect.

Portugalraider 25-10-16 12:39

Apparently physical sales were pretty sluggish, but it appears to have been able to sell 1M copies, according to VGChartz. However, VGChartz is not a really reliable site, so take it with a grain of salt.

However, we no nothing about digital sales and the game was supposedly really popular here in Europe, so maybe there's still hope. But Sega should just sell the publishing rights to Nintendo. Or do something like Koei Tecmo did with Fatal Frame, where both them and Nintendo own the rights to the franchise...

Zelda master 25-10-16 12:58

In case of Project Zero/Fatal Frame and Bayonetta those games are in the exact same situation. Tecmo still fully owns the rights to the franchise like Sega owns bayonetta, but Nintendo co-produces the new games and co-own the games they've helped with. Nintendo doesn't actually own the IP in any way however.

Portugalraider 25-10-16 14:11

Well, Wikipedia says Fatal Frame is indeed co-owned by Koei Tecmo and Nintendo now. But it's Wikipedia, so maybe it's not exactly the case...

Zelda master 25-10-16 14:48

Tecmo still does releases of the older games on PSN and every once in a while has a sale on them. Doubt Nintendo would ever be so kind :p

Johnnay 13-01-17 07:08

I'm gonna post here, not in the other press release thread

I'm just gonna wait for Ifixit to tear the thing apart to see if it's truly powerful

I do find it disappointing that you have to pay to play online with this. I'm disappointed that it's battery life is terrible, 720p on a 6.2 inch screen.. iPhone SE and other phone screens and iPod Touch can do 720p on tiny screens

For 300 bucks that's expensive, Price and specs matter for a system to succeed according to Patcher and he believes that if it was priced around 200-250 bucks it would be a success, maybe more money if it had better specs but multiple sources claim the system has only 1 TFLOPS ( the original XONE Has 1.3 TFLOPS and the PS4/Slim have 1.8 TFLOPS) if it's true then the price isn't good but we wait for ifixit

The only good things with this are that it's very easy for developers and that it's getting third party support (slowly though) but Nintendo is playing risk/reward with this

domino92 13-01-17 07:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnnay (Post 7700988)
For 300 bucks that's expensive, Price and specs matter for a system to succeed according to Patcher and he believes that if it was priced around 200-250 bucks it would be a success, maybe more money if it had better specs but multiple sources claim the system has only 1 TFLOPS ( the original XONE Has 1.3 TFLOPS and the PS4/Slim have 1.8 TFLOPS) if it's true then the price isn't good but we wait for ifixit

When has a console ever released for that price? I don't think it was realistic to expect that type of price for a new console.

WolfRaider 13-01-17 07:46

This is so adorable.

Zebra 13-01-17 07:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by domino92 (Post 7700989)
When has a console ever released for that price? I don't think it was realistic to expect that type of price for a new console.

But this is a new console that's considerably weaker than other consoles which have already been on the market for three years and can be had for less than 300$. It's also a console which, judging by Nintendo's recent history, is unlikely to attract as much third-party support as the PS4 and Xbone have. So you're paying more money for a console with inferior hardware and less games. The only two reasons for why one would be willing to pay that kind of money for a Switch would be: a) Nintendo's exclusive games which probably won't be enough to make it a mainstream success and b) the Switch's unique hybrid design which is a bit of a wild card ATM as we can't really predict how much it's going to appeal to the casual market. But yeah, I do think that pricing the Switch at 300$ feels like a bit of an arrogant, maybe even ignorant move on Nintendo's part. Especially when you consider that they aren't even including a game or an SD card and that buying an additional set of Joycons will cost you 80$.

Johnnay 13-01-17 08:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by domino92 (Post 7700989)

Im not from America so I wouldn't have the answer to your question

Nintendos stock plummets nearly 6% as investors are disappointed in the Switch

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/12/ninte...0-dollars.html

Considering the PS4 slim has more third party support and is launched in the same price range and the XBOX ONE is 50 bucks lower though... yeah

Zelda master 13-01-17 13:47

One thing that you seem to skip however Zebra is all the third party support outside of the usual "AAA" development from outside of Japan. The Switch will have pretty much all indie support, all 3DS support, all Vita support and most of the Japanese support altogether. That on it's own is already quite a lot of support. Now include a bunch of the usual quirky exclusive game that Nintendo has been receiving since the N64 and it'll probably have a really robust and, more importantly than you can say about the PS4/One, unique library.

Will it have the same support as the Xbox One/PS4? Absolutely not, no doubt. But I legit think that the Switch can, and most likely will have a very interesting and solid library that will deliver the same as the Wii. A unique bunch of games that everyone can enjoy in one way or another.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfRaider (Post 7700993)
This is so adorable.

The Peach background on Bowser's phone killed me! :vlol:

Lara's home 13-01-17 13:59

I hope the Switch succeeds. In recent years I've started to appreciate that Nintendo is the only console not trying to be a ****ty PC.
If only they weren't so out of touch with the consumers..