www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider Motion Pictures (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Ben Wheatley to direct Tomb Raider 2 (19.03.2021) (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=223395)

Grizzly Bear 24-09-19 20:30

I think some horror elements would work really well if done properly, this sequel is even more promising than I was expecting.
At this point I wouldn't be surprised if it's going to be rated R (personally I wouldn't mind it at all).

At least it's not going to be the typical action movie that is filled with comedy just because that's the trend nowdays.

Portugalraider 24-09-19 22:27

I think the movie might actually have more humour than we are actually expecting though, even if they do go for a darker tone overall. Not your standard Hollywood/MCU humour, but a definitely very British humour instead.

Which, as long as it doesn't destroy the overall mood of the movie/scene (and considering at least Amy's and Ben's work of Free Fire, it will actually enhance them) can be a really good fit to Alicia's take on Lara: she was already very snarky when her frustration levels reached a new high, add in a more British flavour to that and it can be even more of a winner combo.

Tonyrobinson 24-09-19 23:04

One issue I do have with reboot Lara is that there are times she comes across as an Americanised version of an English girl. There are a lot more western influences in her character. It's going to be nice to see a British females take on her without interference. I know Rhianna is English but I felt that the narrative made Lara more believably British when Rhianna had more control over her scenarios like the little add-ons in the comic storylines. In the game she felt a lot more Hollywood and in the movie is was a bit of a mismatch at times.

I feel when more Western influencers are involved we get more of Lara being a superhero/final girl girl next door type character but when we have more British influencers we see that more no nonsense, snarky side to her. Not to bash either developer at all it just seems to have a different vibe not to say one is better than the other.

The London sections of the film felt very grimey and British indie film especially the cameos from Jamie Winstone who's huge on that scene and the inclusion of Lara being a food courier etc.

Portugalraider 26-09-19 15:48

We have a set decorator! :p

Paki Smith: worked with Ben in High-Rise and Free Fire. Also worked on Batman Begins and The Dark Knight Returns, John Carter and Dracula Untold.

andre_costa 26-09-19 16:45

Question: who's that Elizabeth Cantillon? Where did she come from to this movie?

Portugalraider 26-09-19 16:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by andre_costa (Post 8134328)
Question: who's that Elizabeth Cantillon? Where did she come from to this movie?

Well, she was a producer of "Girl in the Spider Web" and is producing the reboot of "Charlie's Angel". So she is someone with money who wants to invest in female-lead potential franchises. Extra money for the movie.

Although I have to say, considering those movies, I hope Graham King has more of an hand on the movie than her.

Ellioft 26-09-19 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Portugalraider (Post 8134320)
We have a set decorator! :p

Paki Smith: worked with Ben in High-Rise and Free Fire. Also worked on Batman Begins and The Dark Knight Returns, John Carter and Dracula Untold.

Interesting choice the use of the sets in Free Fire was really well done imo. Also John Carter take place in a desert location and Dark Knight Rise into a snowy one (Gotham) and dont forget Wayn's Manor in Batman Beggins (I would love to see the ending after the adventure take place into a burning Croft Manor).

If everything is true TR sequel will be an author film :o

Portugalraider 26-09-19 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellioft (Post 8134354)
Interesting choice the use of the sets in Free Fire was really well done imo. Also John Carter take place in a desert location and Dark Knight Rise into a snowy one (Gotham) and dont forget Wayn's Manor in Batman Beggins (I would love to see the ending after the adventure take place into a burning Croft Manor).

If everything is true TR sequel will be an author film :o

Although at a smaller scale, it would be very interesting if the Tomb Raider sequel ends up being to Ben Wheatley what Batman Begins was to Cristopher Nolan: definitely franchise movies by their nature, but still with an auteur flavor.

Cat Woman 28-09-19 15:24

I enjoyed the first movie and at least we have a release date to look forward to. :D. Canít say the same for the TR games. :ponder: