www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider Motion Pictures (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Ben Wheatley to direct Tomb Raider 2 (19.03.2021) (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=223395)

Tonyrobinson 04-09-19 21:21

Ben Wheatley to direct Tomb Raider 2 (19.03.2021)

As we all know now Wheatley has joined the film and we have a release.

A few things seem more likely now too and we can expect a few crew members likely to be in on this. Laurie Rose doing the cinematography and Clint Mansel doing the music with Amy Jump also editing seems like it will happen based on their previous films. This gives them greater control over the film and allows something more experimental and original.

SoraSakai 04-09-19 21:23

Okay no. Please don’t do this stuff again >.< Theresa a thread already for this film with people already discussing this. We don’t need a separate thread for every single piece of info. It makes it harder to navigate. Thank you. Please understand.

Rai 04-09-19 21:28

Thanks for the thread Tony. I said in the other thread this news deserves its own thread. Makes it easier to find than get lost among pages of another thread :).

I guess I'm gonna have to familiarise myself with this director's work so I have an idea what to expect.

It's great to have a release date too. Next year is going to be very interesting following news.

Portugalraider 04-09-19 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonyrobinson (Post 8128453)
As we all know now Wheatley has joined the film and we have a release.

A few things seem more likely now too and we can expect a few crew members likely to be in on this. Laurie Rose doing the cinematography and Clint Mansel doing the music with Amy Jump also editing seems like it will happen based on their previous films. This gives them greater control over the film and allows something more experimental and original.

Amy being in the editing team I think it's a given since she already is involved with the movie. Laurie Rose in cinematography might also be a certainty, given her history with Ben's movies.

Clint Mansell is not so sure, I think. Ben has worked with Jim Willians a lot as well, and none of them worked on Free Fire, for example. Besides, I think that composers are more studio mandated than director chosen.

And the same could be said for editors and cinematographers, really. Even if it goes low to mid budget, and even if they go for a more European, less Hollywood for the sequel (which considering the writer and director that were hired, is very probable), this is still a major studio franchise release. I don't feel that they might go that much aboard with "let the director do what he wants".

Besides, everyone here knows that I want Junky XL back for the music, so there's also that. :p

Tonyrobinson 04-09-19 22:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rai (Post 8128459)
Thanks for the thread Tony. I said in the other thread this news deserves its own thread. Makes it easier to find than get lost among pages of another thread :).

I guess I'm gonna have to familiarise myself with this director's work so I have an idea what to expect.

It's great to have a release date too. Next year is going to be very interesting following news.

Have fun going down the rabbit hole of weirdness that is Ben Wheatley. :p

He's a very intense film maker his films are very varied but also very dark in terms of the material. I honestly have no idea what is going to happen with this.

laracroftswest 04-09-19 23:08

As I've said before, I'm excited. Given Alicia's take on Lara's character was the highlight of the last film and she has a good relationship with Amy/Ben I'm guessing she'll have some say on Lara's characterization once more.

As long as they really hone in on who Lara is and take her to some unique places I think they'll do a good job.

Tonyrobinson 04-09-19 23:18

I'm excited because this feels experimental. The twitter reaction is surprisingly strong too he is more of a cult name than Roar. I hope this film can bring the weird supernatural vibes that his other films have.

_Seth 05-09-19 08:28

All sounds positive. :) Is there a particular reason Roar isn't returning? Surely if he was able to direct a successful enough film to warrant a sequel he'd be seen as good enough to hire back.

Tonyrobinson 05-09-19 09:47

I'd say they want something a bit more stand out and less by numbers. Roar was great for the first and I loved it but I think Ben will bring something vastly different in tone.

I'm just thinking Alicia will probably begin her training soon.

James_Rutland 05-09-19 10:01

Great news to see the sequel is actually moving forward, I was beginning to wonder if it would go into development hell! Really interested to see what Ben Wheatley brings to the table - and if it carries on with the reboot style or goes off into it's own thing. Would love a plot synopsis or at least shooting locations!

Tonyrobinson 05-09-19 10:02

It should hopefully start coming together soon if it's shooting early next year. I'm hopeful we will atleast hear some locations sprouting up soon. If its beginning production next year it must be progressing fast.

Generation Z is also getting shot next year but will apparently premiere in late 2020 or early 2021 my guess is that he will focus on Tomb Raider first then shoot his series.

TrustyBow 05-09-19 13:11

I wonder if Roar left, willingly. The guy seems nice but he just wasn't the right pick for the first movie. It could've been studio interference but the films direction just seemed so lifeless.

The fact that Wheatleys directing and his wifes writing is a good sign that we'll get minimal studio meddling.

Tonyrobinson 05-09-19 13:18

Has it been confirmed in the latest report that Warner Bros are back producing? I know they mentioned it in the first report when Amy was hired but they didn't mention them in the official press report from Deadline.

AimlessThunder 05-09-19 14:23

Ellioft 05-09-19 14:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonyrobinson (Post 8128610)
Has it been confirmed in the latest report that Warner Bros are back producing? I know they mentioned it in the first report when Amy was hired but they didn't mention them in the official press report from Deadline.

Warner was only here for the distribution of the movie not as a producer.

Portugalraider 05-09-19 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellioft (Post 8128629)
Warner was only here for the distribution of the movie not as a producer.

Hopefully they distribute the movie on a better date. :p

GeekOfComedy 05-09-19 14:54

September 2021 would be a perfect release date for it although audiences could be adventured out by Indy 5. It's a tough situation, I do believe it needs to come out before Indy 5 as they will get the same audiences. Look at Yesterday VS Blinded by the Light on a smaller scale or the scare Jumanji 2 had when Jungle Cruise was gonna come out 3 months before it. Needs to come out before Indy 5 or they hold it to 2022. Only nice thing about March 21st is that it has a nice run way till May 5th as only Fast and Furious 10 comes out in April but THAT WONT make the release date.

In fact: come to think of it, March 21st is a great release date for Tomb Raider 2. Maybe MGM should just distribute it although they killed Dragon Tattoo #2.

NoahCrofRaider 05-09-19 14:55

I really hope this movie kicks butt on many fronts. Give us more sequels!

GeekOfComedy 05-09-19 15:07

I really wonder what's in that script that has MGM creaming themselves to make a sequel so quickly. That flew - I mean Jump only wrote a treatment which Vikander liked in April and now the script is at the point they've attached Wheatley and want to make this thing.

Guess we'll see!

NoahCrofRaider 05-09-19 15:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeekOfComedy (Post 8128650)
I really wonder what's in that script that has MGM creaming themselves to make a sequel so quickly. That flew - I mean Jump only wrote a treatment which Vikander liked in April and now the script is at the point they've attached Wheatley and want to make this thing.

Guess we'll see!

Quite. That also means it’ll get a little more time in the oven too, and perhaps better (and longer) marketing/advertising - both unlike the first one.

Portugalraider 05-09-19 15:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeekOfComedy (Post 8128650)

Guess we'll see!

Maybe a early version of the script will leak once again and makes us go on a rampage the moment the words "dad" or "Richard" appear on it like last time. :p

But it might be a good sign that Amy's first draft was at least passable enough to be green lit so soon. But I am pretty sure that the script will still be ironed out up until shooting starts. :)

GeekOfComedy 05-09-19 15:22

He's so not my choice that get this: maybe Lara Croft should get her double guns. He's such a balls to the walls choice that will make the film niche anyway that they may as well give the double guns because this film is clearly not designed to be a blockbuster so if they keep the budget low at 60M or so, it really only needs to make 200M.

But he is so out there I hope MGM realised their mistake from Fede Álvarez as MGM made Girl in the Spiders web and it's clear they hired him for this crazy style of film making but handicapped it with tons of studio notes so it just kind of seemed bland gothic. Wheatley is so in that camp that they better just go full Wheatley for better or worse because I do not want a bizarre but bland film.

Damn it Warner Brothers, you couldn't have just called up Patty J!

Portugalraider 05-09-19 15:30

Ben is a more experienced director though, and that might help.

Also, after Wonder Woman being such a big hit, no way Patty Jenkins would direct a Tomb Raider movie. It's a much smaller franchise than the DCEU and Wonder Woman.

Tonyrobinson 05-09-19 16:24

Lower budget, more creative freedom and limited studio meddling all stems well from Ben's hiring in my opinion. I can see this being mid-tier and focused. Soloman kane has fantastic sets and locations and effects done on a lower budget.

Ellioft 05-09-19 17:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonyrobinson (Post 8128680)
Lower budget, more creative freedom and limited studio meddling all stems well from Ben's hiring in my opinion. I can see this being mid-tier and focused. Soloman Lane has fantastic sets and locations and effects done on a lower budget.

What if Alicia bring her money to the table too ?

Tonyrobinson 05-09-19 18:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellioft (Post 8128690)
What if Alicia bring her money to the table too ?

She may well have, she has enough clout in having a say in the film I wouldn't be surprised if she got an exec credit.

JsotoTRSaga 05-09-19 19:26

Alicia is amazing, I can't wait for this movie.

GeekOfComedy 05-09-19 20:23

Oh 2021 is 25 years of Lara Croft. Duh. :p

Also: no way Vikander is putting money into this, even GK isn't and he put money into buying the rights. :p

Do feel bad for Roar though as I probably would have picked him over Wheatley as now he will have to go through the trials and tribulations of making the 1st time blockbuster and dealing with VFX training wheels etc.

I wonder if this will be the horror genre movie Tomb Raider should have always been - in interviews people always talk about being scared playing Tomb Raider as a child with the dark dungeons etc so why not make THAT movie as that's how mainstream audiences felt playing the original games.

Tonyrobinson 05-09-19 20:34

I would love horror elements included in the film. If there goal was to go all out on grounded supernaturalism Ben will definitely bring the weird side of things.

PinkyPromise 05-09-19 20:48

The Yaaxil part in Shadow of TR is quite scary... They could adapt Shadow and not be a bad idea ... it's quite dark and everything takes place in the jungle. In fact, insiders said they thought of Shadow

Tonyrobinson 05-09-19 21:08

I'd love something more like The Descent, there's a scene in Ben's film Kill List where they're in a tunnel and it's quite frightening and intense. You can watch it on YouTube but I can't post the link here because it contains nudity.

TrustyBow 05-09-19 21:43

I'd love a bit of horror put into the sequel.

Tonyrobinson 05-09-19 22:02

I'd love. To be risky and R rated but I do think it will stay PG-13 for wider audience appeal. The fun thing about having Amy and Ben this time is not knowing what to expect because all of their films have been quite dark and weird.

I have watched Ben and Amy's back catalogue of films and to be honest a few of them haven't appealed to me but they are all pretty dark, atmospheric and bleak which has me excited for what could potentially happen.

I really liked Kill List and Free Fire.

After seeing Kill List and A Field in England the Baba Yaga storyline from Rise would really fit his previous works his supernatural themes are routed in reality which is why they've probably also chose Amy and him. In A Field in England they base the supernatural element around witchcraft but its induced by hallucinogenic mushrooms and in Kill List most of the horror stems from a pagan cult but all the while these paranormal occurrences are grounded.

GeekOfComedy 05-09-19 22:59

I can't believe both signed on for PG-13 material when they clearly are R-rated creatives.

Tonyrobinson 05-09-19 23:17

It's hard to know for sure what we will get with them signing on. This could well be an R-rated movie more like Birds of Prey and John Wick in which case they may try and appeal to the domestic audience a bit more as a mature video game film.

I don't think it'll be R-rated but I do think it will be a more experimental in terms of its approach to the story, I can't see Ben and Amy being tied down to following an adaption of the games.

Graham King seems like a very collaborative and risk taking producer and Ben doesn't like studio films if he can't have a large element of control so I can see Graham King allowing them to craft something within their vision. It's clearly been the intention from the start to shake the franchise up a bit and allow Amy to come aboard with the promise of Ben directing and Amy being able to edit the film.

Enya Brennan 05-09-19 23:39

Keeley Hawes cameo, please and thank you.

NoahCrofRaider 06-09-19 00:19

Ooooooh, some horror elements sound great!

Although I’d also opt for any moments that really ooze with adrenaline and pressure. Something that makes you nearly jump out of your seat because you’re so invested in it and you can feel those jump-scares.

Ugh, I just really hope they pull through with this movie. :p It’s time to step it up and give us a great movie and a great Lara.

GeekOfComedy 06-09-19 00:23

^ In fairness they really accomplished the latter with 2018. I just think they need to step up the story they have her running around in.

I didn't think if they were going for big blockbuster we'd see dual pistols and I made convincing arguments if MGM wanted to make a Tomb Raider movie that's popular and is inline with todays modern heroes but with Ben Wheatley on board I'm now 99% sure she'll have dual pistols. It's just his style and you might get more that anti-hero.

NoahCrofRaider 06-09-19 00:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeekOfComedy (Post 8128941)
^ In fairness they really accomplished the latter with 2018. I just think they need to step up the story they have her running around in.

Oh, I agree. I’m just pining for a better movie as a whole, instead of a great Lara and a meh or okay at best story like for all the movies so far.

GeekOfComedy 06-09-19 00:42

I think with Wheatley especially prepare to see a more highly stylized Lara Croft which I'm excited for. Barbie Raider is back and that's fun for a film. :)

Gays, go pick your outfits now. :p

I definitely think she'll be fully in a braid this time.

I think something like TR3 Nevada's outfit could be popular, it's such a cool look it'd be popular for Halloween but I'd expect a tank top OR even a T-shirt (I think that with small sleeves would look better than a tank) with the camo trousers rather than mid-riff.