www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider Level Editor (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Create a Classic Competition 2019 (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=223038)

OverRaider 05-11-19 08:52

Unfinished In the Highlands by piano_raider (grinder1)

I am sorry to announce that I gave up on this game but honestly I will be not losing any more time on it. I am stuck at the quick sand area where there are completely random platforms where we can safely stand and I can't seem to make the timed run, as it is really very hard to remember where they exactly are anyway and I really think I did almost flawless run back but was not enough therefore binned the game straight away. If it is a first effort by the author then he might consider puting more effort into fair gameplay challanges as well as texturing, as they also are pretty much messy and stretchy all around, especially hills...

Next level: Vacation of the Tomb Raider by AgentXP

Mulf 05-11-19 09:09

I feel your pain, OverRaider. As I said over at trle.net, I gave up on this, too; earlier than you did, though, and what you write proves that it was the right choice. You met a fate even worse than what I expected. (Seriously, a timed run across that swamp? You must be joking.)

dinne 05-11-19 09:43

^
^^
I managed to finish it, but in one part I had to use a hint from another user, that used FexInspect. But I refused to try to take any secret.
Reviews won't be good about this level, but actually I played a worse one in the list (in terms of "playability", but also in terms of... everything). Actually, there is no timed run in that swamp, anyway (or I haven't met it, maybe it was a secret).
So yes it -can- be completed, but with an amount of demotivation and frustration that is absolutely not worthy one single meter of game. :/ A pity. I'll motivate more this opinion on the reviews on trle.net.

Teone 05-11-19 09:50

Finished The Russian Base by dinne
I found both secrets and I'm very proud of myself because they are well hidden. The second one is a touch of genious! :tiphat:

Congratulations dinne, you are a very talented builder.
I will not vote until Xmas and I still have many other levels to play but IMO this game deserves to be in the top three.

https://i.imgur.com/skL7xbH.jpg

Mulf 05-11-19 10:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinne (Post 8148528)
Actually, there is no timed run in that swamp, anyway (or I haven't met it, maybe it was a secret).

Ah, I see. In that case I may get round to finishing it eventually...when the walkthrough is out. :)

(I won't ask about the level that in your opinion is even less playable than Highlands...I'll find out soon enough, I guess.)

dinne 05-11-19 10:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teone (Post 8148530)
Finished The Russian Base by dinne
I found both secrets and I'm very proud of myself because they are well hidden. The second one is a touch of genious! :tiphat:
Congratulations dinne, you are a very talented builder.
I will not vote until Xmas and I still have many other levels to play but IMO this game deserves to be in the top three.

Thanks really a lot! And it's satisfying to see that someone managed to finish this huge level (with secrets). :D
Doggett was playing it yesterday in live with my assistance in late night, he will release a walkthrough soon on YouTube, that will be finally a more detailed guide than my "main directives" in the readme. :) That will be very useful for many users for sure. ;p

Baslakor 05-11-19 11:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by noonbob (Post 8148427)

EDIT: I found that whore key...FINALLY.
Just got the Uzi's, and the Atlantean creatures took all of my ammo. They are so hard to kill.[/SIZE][/FONT]

I removed that jump from the game. It made it's way through the beta-testing, but is gone now! (and added a bit of light to the key, because why not).

Getting those uzi's early is one hell of a fight! My hats off to you if you managed that! Patience is rewarded though... ;)

For those who are gonna play Legacy of the Scion, I removed a jump, leading to a possible lock. If you're already playing, please do not make this jump and all will be fine:

https://gyazo.com/e82799dd11b060e5a95aaafa0f2e9315

Updated link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zZG...dA33fXGCzFTx-N

dcw123 05-11-19 13:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverRaider (Post 8148264)
Finished Lost Library by dcw123

https://i.imgur.com/KjmmzWY.jpg

This is how I would rate this game

Gameplay & puzzles: 3
Enemies objects & secrets: 4
Atmosphere sound & cameras: 4

Lighting & textures: 7

Score: 4.50

This little level is pretty short but this duration was just enough time spent for me here as I would not wish to spend any more time on it honestly as the gameplay, being the weakest point, is very uninspired and uneventful. The enemies like bats and skeletons did not help to it either as they we rather annoying than exciting, and every time a bat appeared I had to throw the newly lit flare off Lara's hand to draw weapons or lure each skeleton to the nearest pit to shoot him off the ledge with shotgun, which by the way is in the inventory from the beginning as is the crowbar. But why is that? It would be a lot more exciting to find these by doing some tasks but sadly even tasks required to obtain some puzzle items were pretty boring, because I don't find opening a door, passing through corridors or rooms just to safely pick them up entertaining. Sure there was a trap activated when picking up one of them so returning back was at least a bit exciting but then not so really as it was just that wheel saw chaining around the ladder part. There was also a flowing water activity noticed when coming back to a particular room, but what was its purpose? Was it just a puposeless detail? It would have been so much more nice if that would have been somehow involved in some kind of puzzle. The rooms however do look quite nice and they are pretty well textured and same can be said for the most of the lighting even if some rooms looked unrealistically bright with unexplained strong light sorces. I also appreciated the effort put into some objects modifications. The odd sprinting animation looks really silly to say the least and missing sound effect of a door or double double-ized breath sound effect when Lara reached the water surface also sounded weird. There is some effort visible in creating the enviroments, but not really in terms of gameplay though.

Next level: In the Highlands by piano_raider (grinder1)

Are you kidding me..
I can't even read this.

No offence dude but you really don't review levels well - I read what you put about SirDaniel's level too.

My goal for this level was the same as TR4's - a nice level which wasn't overly challenging. It was intentional.. Something more akin to TR2's Great Wall.. something with some challenge but not to the point where it becomes frustrating.
I could have easily added mazes, loads of short timed runs and impossible traps - but I don't find those pixel perfect runs enjoyable.
I always build within as much 'realism' as I can - I don't like things that make no real world sense - like random weapon pick ups in random places just because..
Whatever - man I'm so pissed off right now ngl

Man, if thats how you're judging peoples levels.. then some I have played need negative numbers in comparison..
And from what I can see - you haven't even made a level, so why are you voting?
I'd love to see you do better..

Really tried with this one and this so called ''review'' has left me feeling like ****

TombTitan 05-11-19 14:35

dcW123:
I played the Lost Library of Demetrios yesterday, and it did capture the spirit of TR4's Lost Library, etc. You are right that pretty pictures, etc. are not needed to capture the spirit of classic Tomb Raider. You did do a good job, and you should be proud of your level. The trle.net review system has always been subjective and biased (and subject to much criticism), and does not reflect the true worth of many levels.

Some of the better looking CaC19 levels suspiciously look like they were being developed long before this contest was announced a few months ago because it takes a long time to make such a level.

dcw123 05-11-19 14:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by TombTitan (Post 8148682)
dcW123:
I played the Lost Library of Demetrios yesterday, and it did capture the spirit of TR4's Lost Library, etc. You are right that pretty pictures, etc. are not needed to capture the spirit of classic Tomb Raider. You did do a good job, and you should be proud of your level. The trle.net review system has always been subjective and biased (and subject to much criticism), and does not reflect the true worth of many levels.

Some of the better looking CaC19 levels suspiciously look like they were being developed long before this contest was announced a few months ago because it takes a long time to make such a level.

Thank you..

Unfortunately I started this project later that intended as I moved over to Tomb Editor and had to learn the engine again.. but this has nothing to do with my level.
Those who have played Lost Library and the beta demo my level is heavily based off - would know that this level is 100% accurate to TR4 in that sense - it was intentionally made that way.
Not going to let one persons sour review hold me back or make me feel my level was a failure.

My two beta testers Dinne and Wolf7 liked my level very much and gave me much higher scores - so... what does that show?