www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider Level Editor (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Create a Classic Competition 2019 (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=223038)

dcw123 16-09-19 10:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by _TombExplorer_ (Post 8131706)
Hello, I wish to join the competition :D
Theme: TR2G Russia
I've been working those 2 days on the level already and I can share a screenshot. It is still all in WIP. Probably this will be different when I will release.
Also, I'm kinda new to level building so please don't be harsh :p
https://i.imgur.com/Ay8GKCI.png

Love TR2Gold
Can't wait to play everyones levels omg

https://i.imgur.com/VrXHARd.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/gHtVJQA.jpg

Nothing outstanding - just some more new transitions for a cave type area inbetween the old walls of the catacombs under the Library :3
These rooms replace the awful ones I had before, hopefully for the better..

Reggie 19-09-19 11:33

Is there a way to force turning off bilinear filtering? It ruins the texture details.

LoreRaider 19-09-19 11:45

^Yes you can, with ChocolateFan plugin

You can find it here
Here's the description:
Quote:

Plugin_ChocolateFanSetup
This plugin can force Bilinear Filtering and No FMV settings on or off.
To this end, it implements two flipeffects. The first forces a setting to a chosen state, the second ceases to force it.
The desired state will be carried over all following levels. The title, however, is special and needs its own flipeffects.

To override Bump Mapping and Volumetric FX settings, use ForceBumpMapping and ForceVolumetricFX commands respectively.

dcw123 20-09-19 16:47

Panicking that I won't fix bugs in time arghgh LOL

Been doing a ton of overtime at work and I have a holiday coming up so I won't even be able to play anyones amazing levels until like the 4th September..

All my rooms are done.. its just making some triggers work and maybe edit some lighting.. so hopefully I can get it done

DroneSpencer 21-09-19 22:43

CaC 2019_ my project AoD

Hi,
I am worried that I am not able to made it in time. In the last 22 days, I have lost of stuff to do with University and dormitories. I hope I can finish it, but I am not sure :( :(

dinne 22-09-19 14:06

I'd like to ask an opinion about 2 aspects of the game:
1) Difficulty: would the game be more appreciated if it reflects the original difficulty of the games that it resembles? I am making a Russian level and the difficulty of Chronicles is in general very low, but here gamers would be hardcore gamers for the most, that could appreciate more difficulty. Would more difficulty be "less classic" or indifferent?
2) Climbable textures: in my level I use often some textures with grids, sometimes they're decorative and sometimes they need to be climbed. I am making all these areas climbable/monkeyable even if there is literally no usefulness to be grabbed there, just to keep coherence with the "material". Is it a great choice or just confusing?

Reggie 22-09-19 14:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinne (Post 8133269)
1) Difficulty: would the game be more appreciated if it reflects the original difficulty of the games that it resembles? I am making a Russian level and the difficulty of Chronicles is in general very low, but here gamers would be hardcore gamers for the most, that could appreciate more difficulty. Would more difficulty be "less classic" or indifferent?
2) Climbable textures: in my level I use often some textures with grids, sometimes they're decorative and sometimes they need to be climbed. I am making all these areas climbable/monkeyable even if there is literally no usefulness to be grabbed there, just to keep coherence with the "material". Is it a great choice or just confusing?

Depends what kind of difficulty. I hate difficult platforming, with overly ambitious jumps and timed runs. But I really appreciate cleverly placed traps and puzzles or tougher combat (even better with a puzzle element attached). I'd say use the more difficult levels of TR3/TR4 baseline, it shouldn't more difficult than that.

You're right to make all those climbable. Otherwise, consider using a different coloured mesh/grid. I'm doing that in my level. There's a similar decorative black mesh, the climbable one is red and relegated to one small section where it's obvious.

Joey79100 22-09-19 14:50

Quote:

This is Create a Classic, not Replicate a Classic. That would not even make a difference in the classic feeling, it's not because the original Russia levels had a certain characteristic that you need to replicate it to make yours feel classic. This is only a particularity. :p

Quote:

One may say it may be confusing, but I'd say it's actually nice. It makes you search for your way, think about where you're going. If only "useful" ladders are climbable, and the others are not, it's like explicitly telling to the player "you're in the right/wrong direction!". Unlike new games, classics had all ledges grabbable, not just the "useful ones", so just because you found a ledge you could grab didn't mean it served any purpose. You had to think about it. Doing the same for ladders/grabbable ceiling only makes sense to me, and improves this aspect of the game. :)

Baslakor 22-09-19 14:54

Quote:

Regarding the CAC both is fine. Difficulty is not a necessary a gameplay or nostalgia element. Unless you want to go for that 'carefree running through the Caves' vibe of the first TR1 level, I would opt for a difficulty adjusted to your players. Note however that even though the game is old and many people have been playing for years, lots of people here are still casual gamers.

As for climbable textures, this again is up to you. It is important however that it's clearly visible for players that a certain texture is climbable. If a player gets used to a texture because you use it as general wallpaper, it might not be obvious to use it as a ladder later. I also don't want to waste hours climbing every wall in every room, because there might be something to find in some corner, so while possible, you need to be smart about it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DroneSpencer
Hi,
I am worried that I am not able to made it in time. In the last 22 days, I have lost of stuff to do with University and dormitories. I hope I can finish it, but I am not sur

It would be a shame if you coudn't make it, but it's better to release a good level somewhere later than rush a level to make a deadline! Good luck with everything! :)

dinne 22-09-19 16:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reggie (Post 8133274)

Thanks a lot, hmm my level will probably disappoint you then, well it's my first one, I allow myself to be naif. The difficulty is not about rooms of oblique broken columns to slide on, but in 2 cases you've to use moves that probably you never exploited before, to continue, and you've often to observe the environment to spot where to go. Where there could be a secret, normally, there is instead the right path here. No particularily clever puzzles, since I had not enough skills for that. :)
Enemies are a bit harder, I increased their damage (a little) and modified some animations to make them quicker and more reactive. My goal is to push the player to use weapons and not the default guns. A pity that I'm not yet able to make some AI things for now... Maybe I will try.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey79100 (Post 8133275)

Thanks, I think that too, but I wasn't sure about the other players... Of course the climbable areas aren't so many, there aren't entire walls of climbable surfaces. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baslakor (Post 8133276)

Thanks, yes it's surely not the mood of TR1 Caves. :) And yes it's not wallpaper textures, well sometimes it is for some ceilings that are made of grids, but they are unreacheable.