Tomb Raider Forums

Tomb Raider Forums (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   TOMB RAIDER General Discussion Thread (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=187894)

TippingWater 06-03-13 23:29

Yeah the river sucks as well!

BTW I just reached Shanty Town and Lara actually comments when the dead body drops next to her " Oh Dear Go!" Also when she slides down into the courtyard, the animation actually shows her getting up.

_Tomb_Raider 06-03-13 23:31

Oh I only died once in parachute - river part. It was a piece of cake. :p Sorry to hear you are having trouble.

Jfmeplayer 06-03-13 23:35

Looooving the game so far!

The graphics in this game are so unbelievably good even on consoles, the environments are great and it's so polished +.+ Loving the level design as well, the hubs are big and they're so cool to explore omg + one of the optional tombs I've been on looked just so awesome although the puzzle was kind of simple but still yeahhh

Cochrane 06-03-13 23:35

[QUOTE=SEN1138;6689251]The one thing that irritates me about all of this is that they created a Tomb Raider game, yes it was a reboot, the focus has been misplaced onto combat and away from mystery and intrigue. If they wanted to create an action game with a little 'mystery' on the side why didn't they just create a new franchise? It's because it wouldn't have sold - the only thing that is keeping this game from being another shooter/adventure game (and potentially disappearing into oblivion after a month) is the Lara Croft character, and the reputation built by older Tomb Raiders.[/QUOTE]
Exactly. The interesting thing about the game is that all my fears were confirmed, but I still really like it. :D And one of my fears was that they tried to make it all about Lara and her journey, something that I didn't like at all, since I never actually liked Lara. Interestingly, this game does manage to make me care for her, especially when she's happy and successful (e.g. at the radio tower), not so much when she's the worlds clumsiest and whiniest super-solider. But I still think the overall focus was maybe a bit misplaced.

[QUOTE=Mikky;6689263]Yep, my thoughts exactly.

Wow, it's actually a relieve to see people who share my opinions about the game. I thought I was going crazy.

And yeah, it's true that people seem to be letting their excitement and hype for the game cloud their judgement. Maybe in a few weeks time when they have calmed down a bit, we can see what people really think.[/QUOTE]
That always happens. You know all that talk about "stay true to yourself"? It certainly applies to game criticism. :D

[QUOTE=_Ninja_;6689341]Got to Shanty Town today. We'll see about this monstrous amounts of combat people are reporting. Because so far there has been very little.

BTW: combat =/= flaw.[/QUOTE]
It's the section after the one after Shanty Town. Not sure what the name is, but its the part inside the palace. I just finished it, and it seems to be more reasonable in the areas that follow. But there's a long stretch of battle, battle, battle, battle.

BTW: The standard ASCII representation of the symbol is !=, not =/=. There's of course also a true Unicode symbol, but sadly, I can't type it on an iPad. :D

Mmmbop 06-03-13 23:36

[QUOTE=TippingWater;6689451]She dies so easy during the parachute sequence! DAMN IT CD! DAMN IT![/QUOTE]
I just about managed to do that first time despite taking a few heavy hits, it was the sliding down the river part just before it that got me. Died about five or six times, can't see where you're going with the water spraying up everywhere! :hea:

[QUOTE=Alister's_Brain;6689458]I thought that was the easy part. The river imo was frustrating...

*dies and gets neck impaled*

okay cool I'll avoid that next time.

*dies, watches death again*

damn it, sorry Lara.

*dies*

ahhhh!

*dies*

D:[/QUOTE]

Yep, pretty much like this!

Cochrane 06-03-13 23:44

[QUOTE=Yocy;6689406][url]http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2013/03/04/tomb-raider-they-arent-heavy-theyre-my-crew/[/url]

Alot of people have complained about the other characters in this game and how the game would be better off without them.
But I must say this article makes them look a lot better :>[/QUOTE]

I disagree with the article. Yes, the characters are more fleshed out in the collectible diary entries that have no story reason to be spread all over the island and that most players won't find (at least on their first play through). They are also rather boring. I think that a) the characters aren't a lot better with this background material and b) that the emotional connection, the most important part, should not be made optional. That would be like a Tomb Raider game where the tombs are optional…

Comparing them to other games is kind of pointless. TR has to stand on its own merits.

Finally, I don't see Lara's dependence on others. The story very much tries to paint her as dependent, but factually speaking, she isn't. Consider the heavily scripted part where [color=white]Roth gives sniper assistance to cross a bridge with maybe ten guards on it. Lara plain doesn't need his help. At this point, she's a fully qualified soldier and easily the most dangerous thing on the island, and what's more, she has dispatched greater assemblies of enemies all throughout Shanty Town, including two major shootouts with more than ten enemies each. Now the cutscene tries to tell me that Lara can't do that on her own. Sorry, but I'm just not buying it.[/color]

ItIsOkBro 07-03-13 00:05

I don't like how she runs like she's drying her nail polish.

Rai 07-03-13 00:31

Oh crap! I am so bad at combat with keyboard and mouse. I need a controller if I'm going to complete this game :vlol:

Wooxman 07-03-13 01:02

Maybe I missed something but I think that there're two plot holes (haven't read the whole 3000+ pages of this thread so don't be mad if this was already cleaned up elsewhere):

[COLOR="White"]1) Roth tells Lara to climb up to the radio tower. When she's there she calls Alex via radio. Why? She hasn't met him by this time and can't know that he survived.

2) In the section with the burning temple Lara tells Sam to not enter the helicopter. How does Lara know about the helicopter? And why does she jump into it when Roth tells her to do so, anyway?[/COLOR]

Linoshi Croft 07-03-13 01:05

Lara hears [COLOR="White"]about the helicopter through the radio[/COLOR]...Plus, didn't [COLOR="White"]Reyes mention they were all okay[/COLOR]?

Wooxman 07-03-13 01:08

Maybe I wasn't listening to those things. I thought that Lara only got informed about the plane which crashed. But oh well, such things give games replay value. :D

Stevo505 07-03-13 01:11

Remember Alex was with the group when Lara first met up with them (after she first met Sam).

Tonyrobinson 07-03-13 01:11

^Yes you are right. There was no plot holes there. The only one I thought might be a plot hole was [COLOR="White"] the Oni, they are completely unrelated to Himiko in terms of mythology but I assumed they were just a different type of the storm guard.[/COLOR] :)

Wooxman 07-03-13 01:12

Damn, I really have to replay the game. :D Thanks for the answers. :)

Tomb_of_Darkns 07-03-13 01:31

Ugh this game is just too amazing. I just got to the part after the [COLOR="White"]falling pagodas[/COLOR] and i just can't believe how beautiful this game is! I just...I can't and i've only played for 3 hours which i think is good so far lol Either way, no matter how long it's been i just love this game and all it has to give.

TippingWater 07-03-13 02:16

The funniest thing in the game so far: [url]http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae353/TippingWater/lol_zps4af676ba.jpg[/url] - minor spoiler :D:vlol:. Lara doesn't do fakes! :D

SEN1138 07-03-13 02:22

[QUOTE=TippingWater;6689684]The funniest thing in the game so far: [url]http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae353/TippingWater/lol_zps4af676ba.jpg[/url] - minor spoiler :D:vlol:. Lara doesn't do fakes! :D[/QUOTE]

Ha! People calling this game excessively dark and humorless, please.

Deboda3 07-03-13 02:31

I'm loving this game, But I'm at the Cliffside bunker and my game keeps freezing. Iv tried to different copies of the game and it still keeps freezing?

TippingWater 07-03-13 03:10

[QUOTE=Deboda3;6689694]I'm loving this game, But I'm at the Cliffside bunker and my game keeps freezing. Iv tried to different copies of the game and it still keeps freezing?[/QUOTE]

I experience problems similar to this :(. Let me guess, you are an Nvidia user as well, right?

t-raider26 07-03-13 03:39

Can someone pleeeeaaaase help me. I'm trying to find the cutscene where [COLOR="White"]Lara returns to the boat after Alex dies, and she's talking to Reyes and she says something along the lines of people always dying around Lara.[/COLOR]

But the thing is, I'm looking for a video WITHOUT subtitles on. Every single one I find has subtitles and I need one without them. Help a brutha out y'aaaaaall.

Stevo505 07-03-13 03:50

^ I love that cutscene and what Lara says back to Reyes :D

t-raider26 07-03-13 03:55

I know, me too :p I want to make gifs and put them on tumblr, but every video on youtube has subtitles, and the text won't cover it :/

b.gluch 07-03-13 04:04

how long before a spoiler isnt really a spoiler anymore? i dont think people will be writing ''SPOILER'' in their post 6 months from now

SEN1138 07-03-13 04:07

[QUOTE=b.gluch;6689790]how long before a spoiler isnt really a spoiler anymore? i dont think people will be writing ''SPOILER'' in their post 6 months from now[/QUOTE]

I think we should finally retire the spoiler tag (although they shouldn't be placed in post titles).

tombraiderxii 07-03-13 04:08

[QUOTE=b.gluch;6689790]how long before a spoiler isnt really a spoiler anymore? i dont think people will be writing ''SPOILER'' in their post 6 months from now[/QUOTE]

I'd give it a couple of months or so.... gives enough time for enough people to finish it to discuss... but it should still be caution. :)

Cochrane 07-03-13 11:02

Six months sounds good. We should at least not retire it right now. Remember: Some people are still waiting for their copies to get shipped. Of those who got it right at the official release, many (me included) won't be through yet. Quite a few might decide to wait until this weekend to play the game, because they don't have time otherwise, and they might not finish it right away. Some will have waited for the initial reviews before buying it. And I can imagine that a few people will get it as an Easter present. So I think one month from the now is the [b]very least[/b] amount of time to keep the spoiler tags.

LNSNHGTDS 07-03-13 11:53

5 days would be more than enough.

A month? Seriously people?

Cochrane 07-03-13 12:05

[QUOTE=LNSNHGTDS;6690277]5 days would be more than enough.

A month? Seriously people?[/QUOTE]

I gave a fairly detailed why I think a month might be barely enough. If you think I'm wrong, then please provide reasons, instead of just going "Seriously people?".

Also, is that five days starting from the official release, or do you suggest some other baseline?

LNSNHGTDS 07-03-13 12:11

[QUOTE=Cochrane;6690294]I gave a fairly detailed why I think a month might be barely enough. If you think I'm wrong, then please provide reasons, instead of just going "Seriously people?".

Also, is that five days starting from the official release, or do you suggest some other baseline?[/QUOTE]

It seems like a ridiculous ammount of time in my opinion, your examples are indeed right and I'm assuming that most members will try to keep spoilers hidden but if someone does accidentally read a spoiler I don't think they should complain, I mean the game is out, some people have already beaten it so, while I completely understand why someone wouldn't want to read a spoiler, since the game is out I don't see why anyone would expect spoilers to still be hidden.

I suggested a five-day limit because it's a reasonable time limit in my opinion, and yes, I meant five days starting from release day; in other words the spoiler-hiding should end on the 10th in my opinion.

CD93 07-03-13 12:28

Out of curiosity, has this been noted / noticed?

[url]http://steamcommunity.com/app/203160/discussions/0/846947231090179422/[/url]

Baratheon 07-03-13 12:56

[QUOTE=CD93;6690330]Out of curiosity, has this been noted / noticed?

[URL]http://steamcommunity.com/app/203160/discussions/0/846947231090179422/[/URL][/QUOTE]
Oh my God. I knew something was missing!

James_Croft 07-03-13 13:10

So much for the PC version being "superior"! :p

voltz 07-03-13 13:21

[QUOTE=CD93;6690330]Out of curiosity, has this been noted / noticed?

[url]http://steamcommunity.com/app/203160/discussions/0/846947231090179422/[/url][/QUOTE]

"Master Race" foiled again! :cln:

_Ninja_ 07-03-13 13:23

Actually I don't think I want lense flare and water on the camera.

suckerpunch 07-03-13 13:37

[QUOTE=James_Croft;6690377]So much for the PC version being "superior"! :p[/QUOTE]

LOL, this doesn't change anything. The PC version is still the best. So it's missing some drops and sun rays, big deal. I don't see a big difference.

voltz 07-03-13 13:42

[QUOTE=suckerpunch;6690414]LOL, this doesn't change anything. The PC version is still the best. So it's missing some drops and sun rays, big deal. I don't see a big difference.[/QUOTE]

But you're missing the original presentation that the developers originally intended. This seriously does require a little patchwork.

Dark_Messiah 07-03-13 13:44

I actually didn't notice that this stuff is missing - game still looks way better than the console one

_Ninja_ 07-03-13 13:52

Well I put it in windowed mode. All you have to do is Alt + Enter afterwards. Works like a charm.

The game does look noticeably different.

Mmmbop 07-03-13 14:12

Just got to the part where [COLOR="White"]Roth dies, he has the dual pistols and when Lara picks them up [/COLOR]it literally gave me shivers down the spine.

Thought they did that really well and teased you with it but [COLOR="White"]why did she have to give one to Sam?!?!?! I want dual pistols [/COLOR]:(

princebenidere 07-03-13 15:14

My Personal Review ( possible spoilers )

hi there TRF, at last i can lurk around here now that i played the game

Iv'e been avoiding this forums ever since spoilers came out and i am very glad that I didn't spoil myself

but this post is all about my impressions about the game so here we go!!

The game is absolutely beautiful and the fact that i didn't spoil it makes it even better, the puzzles are not easy but not that hard either
the environments are super gorgeous and the atmosphere is something i really really loved from he game.

my favorite area was the night Forest where you have to sneak in to the scavengers, i love the moonlight the atmosphere and i jumped from those platform up in the trees killing the scavengers one by one, the FEELS that it gave me is priceless..
i havent completed it 100% but im loving the exploration and the Large open area specially the beach part and the night hub,collecting mushrooms etc are so fun!!

I really understand the fact that Tombs are few in this game, its just a one island , i will not expect it to have so many tombs coz its unrealistic, the Tomb of Himiko are nicely done and the monastery are so good in the eyes, lets not forget that its just a start of Lara's journey of becoming a tomb raider
the story tells us that Lara have been blinded by her belief that supernaturals myths etc doesn't exist and because of what happened the interest and her passion has grew more. and i cant wait for the next installment!!

The combat is something that impressed me so much, you can feel the tension of her Bow and every shot is very realistic , I even react everytime she shoots her arrow and my brother is kinda laughing at me.lol i have never seen a game that used a Bow this perfect and with intensity.

well as for the story, some are cliche but very well placed that you'll almost forget about it after you progress to the game and I love every character specially Alex and Jonah and Reyes, love them all ..ROTH why????!!

My mother my three brothers are watching me when im playing the game and i feel so happy because they are so interested in it, they feel the game too and every battle they cheer me up and help me and shouts when grenades are on my sides,lol they even helped me with some of the puzzles and my brother are mad whenever i play the game without him so i have to save the game to be able to go back from the previews scenario.

words cannot express how good this game is and i didn't find anything that made me dislike it and anything that i dont like,
Congratulation to SE and CD for doing an amazing Job!!

[B]I give this game a score of 10/10[/B]