www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider Level Editor (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Create a Classic Competition 2019 (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=223038)

Titak 14-08-19 19:00

^
An image hosting site is needed.
Please check our "Things you need to know..." thread to see which sites are approved.
(We are using approved hosts because we had sites recycling url's in the past and we ended up with content not suitable for an all-age forum... ":facepalm:)

disapearing-boy 14-08-19 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoreRaider (Post 8120706)
During the weekend and these days I've been re-building some TR3 beta areas which were on the E3 back in 1998
Of course I've rebuilt them in my own way, but I guess I kept the original feeling :)

Fantastic - it's really great to play some beta [inspired] areas.:D

Sabatu 14-08-19 22:42

New Screens :) Deep Underground ..

https://i.imgur.com/E5dBsgI.png

https://i.imgur.com/1jxVmCz.png

AgentXP 14-08-19 22:47

^ Beautiful Sabatu :eek:

So much awesomeness being posted here, keep it coming peeps :jmp:

sackboy123 14-08-19 23:54

Can't wait to play all entries (Eventually)

ChocolateFan 15-08-19 00:28

To the people that is using my "black shadows" patch: please update to the latest version, which you can download here: https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...&postcount=678. Thank you!

There are so many entries, and all of them are looking good... It will be hard to choose the best ones later!!

Baslakor 15-08-19 02:24

Really enthusiastic to play these games. Lots and lots of awesome screens here!

noonbob 15-08-19 07:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabatu (Post 8120968)

Deliciosa :eek:

dinne 15-08-19 09:12

I'd like to ask: how do you measure the minutes of gameplay so precisely? I never understood how to measure the gameplay time. Is it the time you'd take as developer to complete the level? Or is it an average time between you and a player that never played the level? How?

Baslakor 15-08-19 12:18

For me, I just play the level and time my minutes. So I do not take into consideration getting lost or searching around for answers, but neither am I gonna run through the level fast as possible. Will do all secrets and pick-ups.

TombRaiderTim 15-08-19 17:51

CAC seems to have gathered a lot of builders and inspired them from out of the dark, I feel this is what the community needs to keep TRLE interesting and healthy for the years to come, perhaps have CAC once or twice a year since it has bought together so many wonderful levels in such a short space of time. :)

ESCachuli 15-08-19 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by TombRaiderTim (Post 8121214)
CAC seems to have gathered a lot of builders and inspired them from out of the dark, I feel this is what the community needs to keep TRLE interesting and healthy for the years to come, perhaps have CAC once or twice a year since it has bought together so many wonderful levels in such a short space of time. :)

Maybe (just as a player, suggesting) you could do a competition but based on AoD (and re-use the TDR assets they uploaded), or based on LAU, or one based on the reboot. It would be cool to have levels based on every era.

SrDanielPonces 15-08-19 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESCachuli (Post 8121217)
Maybe (just as a player, suggesting) you could do a competition but based on AoD (and re-use the TDR assets they uploaded), or based on LAU, or one based on the reboot. It would be cool to have levels based on every era.

No one is going to participate, these kind of levels take a long time to make.
Classic competiton works because it's faster, easy and vintage.

ESCachuli 15-08-19 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by SrDanielPonces (Post 8121220)
No one is going to participate, these kind of levels take a long time to make.
Classic competiton works because it's faster, easy and vintage.

That's true. They need a lot more time and work because you need it to look more "next-gen" while a classic game maybe need the same or even more time to "think" the layout, but is easier to build once you have the idea.

Damn, I was just dreaming xD

Sabatu 15-08-19 19:31

Anyone willing to test my level ? :)

Baslakor 15-08-19 19:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by TombRaiderTim (Post 8121214)

Fully agree with this. It still takes some time to build a level though, but I definitely support the idea!

I do think AoD levels or special themes would work as well, but like SrDaniel said, there would be far less builders. Still might be worth the experiment!

Unfortunately won't have enough time to test your level Sabatu, but since your screens look amazing, it shouldn't be hard to find some testers!!

Joey79100 15-08-19 19:55

Maybe an AOD style competition could work if full assets were provided, kinda like Back to Basics. Having to create them from scratch, it's almost certain there wouldn't be that many people.

sackboy123 15-08-19 20:14

Maybe a competition that gives a certain type of level e.g Coastal, Rome. Kinda like BtB but give the builder more freedom to what they want to build by using that specific theme

TR-Freak 16-08-19 05:19

I guess I'll join.
Something Coastal + Jungle + Volcano + Temple Ruins ;)

Short question regarding textures:
We are allowed to make new transition textures,
but what about altering the textures in some other way? For example recoloring them?

Dustie 16-08-19 08:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by sackboy123 (Post 8121261)
Maybe a competition that gives a certain type of level e.g Coastal, Rome. Kinda like BtB but give the builder more freedom to what they want to build by using that specific theme

that sounds exactly like Back to basics tbh, so it could be redundant... the point of CaC is the freedom of choice of theme/location

sackboy123 16-08-19 11:13

True, but the thing with BtB, all levels use the same assets and resources to the point if you've played one, you've played them all. Maybe it could be redundant but if people had more freedom using they own resources. I don't know. It sounds good in theory.

But more levels seem to get built during these type of competitions. Classic, 20x20x20, ORC etc

Tombraider95 16-08-19 11:17

I quite like the idea of Create a Classic and One Room Challenge alternating. I probably wouldn't mind hosting another ORC sometime in the future. Not sure if AgentXp wants to do another CAC competition though. :ponder:

TombRaiderTim 16-08-19 12:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baslakor (Post 8121254)
Fully agree with this. It still takes some time to build a level though, but I definitely support the idea!

I do think AoD levels or special themes would work as well, but like SrDaniel said, there would be far less builders. Still might be worth the experiment!

Unfortunately won't have enough time to test your level Sabatu, but since your screens look amazing, it shouldn't be hard to find some testers!!

Thought I better copy and paste what I mentioned in another thread, regarding competition ideas:

Perhaps we could have a TRLE building competition for each season of the year which would make 4 in total and have the levels be based on those seasonal themes: Autumn, Winter, Spring and Summer and to include in the mix, we could also maybe have ones based on Christmas, Easter and Valentines Day which would make 7 competitions a year, albeit I know we have aspidetr doing something like that but having those sort of things here would defiantly bring a more active audience and inspire builders who have a creative block as of late.

Aside from those, there is BTB and CAC, it would give a variety of competitions that may interest one person and another type of competition would interest a different person which would give builders something to look forward to participating in each year, depending on their tastes and giving these amounts would certainly boost TRLE morale and inspiration for those currently in a creative block.

If we had a separate sub-forum on the TRLE forum that could just be used to organise a set of competitions, which would avoid all us searching through the clutter on this forum, if it ever comes down to it, people would have easy access to the ones they have interest in and generally it would just be refreshing to have a friendly competitive place to show your building talent.

LoreRaider 16-08-19 13:26

Sorry, but the seasons competition is a big no from me
It would kill the motivation for building levels, and a level every 3 months it's something that just a few people can do
Also, not everyone has that much free time with irl stuff, it would almost require a 24/7 free time :p
I'm fine with one competition each year, with maybe some extra, so Xmas (with Advent Calendar) and Easter (with Aspidetr Easter Time)

Raider99 16-08-19 13:37

The idea isn't bad, but I think that would be too much for a community that isn't really big causing it to die out fast.. We have enough competitions already, it's just they're not regular, we can always schedule them for certain time of year if people were to host it that way, ORC, CaC and if another 20x20x20 could happen... And then people can join any of them if they have time and feel like it.

ESCachuli 16-08-19 13:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by TombRaiderTim (Post 8121447)
Thought I better copy and paste what I mentioned in another thread, regarding competition ideas:

Perhaps we could have a TRLE building competition for each season of the year which would make 4 in total and have the levels be based on those seasonal themes: Autumn, Winter, Spring and Summer and to include in the mix, we could also maybe have ones based on Christmas, Easter and Valentines Day which would make 7 competitions a year, albeit I know we have aspidetr doing something like that but having those sort of things here would defiantly bring a more active audience and inspire builders who have a creative block as of late.

Aside from those, there is BTB and CAC, it would give a variety of competitions that may interest one person and another type of competition would interest a different person which would give builders something to look forward to participating in each year, depending on their tastes and giving these amounts would certainly boost TRLE morale and inspiration for those currently in a creative block.

If we had a separate sub-forum on the TRLE forum that could just be used to organise a set of competitions, which would avoid all us searching through the clutter on this forum, if it ever comes down to it, people would have easy access to the ones they have interest in and generally it would just be refreshing to have a friendly competitive place to show your building talent.

TBH I never play seasonal/holiday levels. I don't find them thematically appaling to me. Also, that's too much for the builders, it would just divide them and have less levels for each competition.

Nemo20 16-08-19 14:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider99 (Post 8121467)
The idea isn't bad, but I think that would be too much for a community that isn't really big causing it to die out fast.. We have enough competitions already, it's just they're not regular, we can always schedule them for certain time of year if people were to host it that way, ORC, CaC and if another 20x20x20 could happen... And then people can join any of them if they have time and feel like it.

Right. I make end of 2019/beginning of 2020 another Contest on trlevel.de. 2010 are 7 Levels appeared under the Name "Complex Simplicity". We have a good idea for the topic of the contest. I hope the builders think so too :D

TombRaiderTim 16-08-19 14:23

Not saying you have to enter every single one, just one of your choice to be honest. Just sharing some thoughts really.

Sabatu 16-08-19 14:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemo20 (Post 8121475)
Right. I make end of 2019/beginning of 2020 another Contest on trlevel.de. 2010 are 7 Levels appeared under the Name "Complex Simplicity". We have a good idea for the topic of the contest. I hope the builders think so too :D

I would like to join complex simplicity but pleas choose good theme :). I am not able to make castle theme :)

ESCachuli 16-08-19 14:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by TombRaiderTim (Post 8121484)
Not saying you have to enter every single one, just one of your choice to be honest. Just sharing some thoughts really.

Sure, it would be cool but I think it is better to have the community focused.

dinne 16-08-19 14:54

Honestly something that I'd like to see is a Competition based not much on the aesthetic theme but on the kind of gameplay.
For example, a competition about Train levels, or about fast running areas (last levels of TR1 for example, full of traps, or underwater levels, or survival style based on enemies and low resources or hostile environment conditions... I don't know.
I think about that from a while...

// end of the non-requested opinion :D

CheshireBitch 16-08-19 15:32

I just wanted to say that I retire from the competition, I am very uninspired these days.

I did a big outdoor area and some smaller ones but I don't like it, something makes it ugly and I can't found what.

I'll do this another time

Nemo20 16-08-19 15:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabatu (Post 8121485)
I would like to join complex simplicity but pleas choose good theme :). I am not able to make castle theme :)

No Castle ;) When the Files are done, i say the theme of the contest :)

Baslakor 16-08-19 15:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheshireBitch (Post 8121495)
I just wanted to say that I retire from the competition, I am very uninspired these days.

I did a big outdoor area and some smaller ones but I don't like it, something makes it ugly and I can't found what.

A shame! Maybe post some screens and we can help you figuring out esthetics and opt some gameplay ideas? 🙂

dinne 16-08-19 17:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheshireBitch (Post 8121495)

Maybe it's because open outdoor areas are too much "open"... What about trying with an intricate system of little puzzle rooms? Something like a temple or a warehouse, or urban like Rome/Venice... Then you'll make the bigger areas after, as external parts, but don't start from it so that it doesn't seem like a blank paper :) (that can discourage you if you haven't enough inspiration of course!)

TombRaiderTim 16-08-19 19:15

I always find outdoor areas to be the most pressure when building as you are on an endless fight to make sure it doesn't look open and empty while at the same time not overloading a room with objects, this is why I prefer to stick with indoor caverns and temples most of the time.

LeelooBastet 16-08-19 22:05

https://i.imgur.com/AKDg7BP.png

Makes me think of Assassin's Creed Origins <3

GabrielCroft 17-08-19 00:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeelooBastet (Post 8121573)
[img]https://i.imgur.com/AKDg7BP.png[img]

Makes me think of Assassin's Creed Origins <3

This is gorgeous!

LoreRaider 17-08-19 10:01

:D
https://i.imgur.com/AACyNql.jpg

CheshireBitch 17-08-19 10:35

Thank you Baslakor, Dinne and TombRaiderTim, I'll think about that, I actually have a lot of free time till september so I'll think about what you all said. :hug:

I love what Leeloobastet and LoreRaider did ! Impressive !!