www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Request for a bigger, more ambitious Lara Croft game in third person. (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=213234)

laracroft1997 21-02-16 21:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zsott (Post 7530500)
First of all, I would not join any arguments.
I'm not against a request for a classic Lara game.

Second:

I quoted only one sentence because, this thread all about what he/she wants.
Plus, there are some persons, who thinks the same. They are supporting him/her. If you against them, then you against the whole community of classic TR.
That's what I see here very often on this forum...

The rest of it Doppie explained already,with I completely agree.

First if you dont like the classics, dont keep commenting on EVERY SINGLE F-ING Thread, this is such a childish attitude to draw attention, if you like the reboot great, but there are also people who dont, and you HAVE to respect that, please, STOP. :mad: this is just attention seeking doppie :mad:

Orionvalentine 22-02-16 11:17

I wholeheartedly support this idea, it sounds fantastic!

I do like the Lara Croft games but I have been thinking about how a 3rd person game would be absolutely perfect!

Nigel Cassidy 22-02-16 11:18

Smashing, thank you very much. I'll add your name to the list then :)

Yuna´s Wish 22-02-16 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel Cassidy (Post 7504833)
But what I'm asking for now is: is it possible to make a bigger, more ambitious, more expensive game in third person perspective in this series? One that has gameplay that is kinda similar to Rise of the Tomb Raider, as in:

- manual aim.
- platforming with the aftertouch feature.
- weapon upgrading.
- some RPG-ish things

...but with this Lara:

Who's got:

- dual pistols.
- Keeley Hawes' voice.
- And, well.. I don't need to explain how this Lara needs to be; Temple of Osiris got it perfectly as far as I'm concerned. :)

And of course the world in which that Lara lives: so instead of getting dirty and bloodied and crying in the corner, this Lara is supposed to be ridiculously awesome, and looking amazing while being it.

(...)'Yes! That is the ridiculous awesomeness I want to see Lara Croft doing!'

(...)the environment is bright and colourful and both it and Lara are a pleasure to look at. That's what I want, you know? Brightness and colour!

I couldn't have said it better!

I'd also add that exploration in that world should feel meaningful, as if necessary to make progress through a level and not just to collect tons of items with little to no impact at all.

I support the idea too :tmb:

Nigel Cassidy 22-02-16 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yuna´s Wish (Post 7545826)
I'd also add that exploration in that world should feel meaningful, as if necessary to make progress through a level and not just to collect tons of items with little to no impact at all.

You mean like finding hidden keys and switches to access the next area?

Anyway, thanks a lot: I'll add your name :)

Yuna´s Wish 22-02-16 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel Cassidy (Post 7545851)
You mean like finding hidden keys and switches to access the next area?

Or simply a path opening into many branches and not knowing where to go first.

Though it can be having to go through all of them to retrieve items that open an exit (ala St. Francis' Folly style).

It could also be that some paths lead nowhere at all, or that contain a deadly surprise (kind of like the awesomeness of coming across with two T.rexes in a pit in China. A surprise that was everything: optional and secret and unlikely and terrifying)...

To sum up: any of the possibilities the Reboot series will never provide because everything has to be realistic and everything must have purpose and a clear main path.

Nigel Cassidy 22-02-16 20:10

Sounds good to me :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yuna´s Wish (Post 7545865)
To sum up: any of the possibilities the Reboot series will never provide because everything has to be realistic

Precisely!

anthonycraig 23-02-16 00:52

I wouldn't actually mind this, I think it would be pretty fun but I'm not sure it will happen. It can't neccesarily be too big as they won't invest that much time nor money because of the core releases, but I think they could pull it off perhaps if it was the length of the classic TR Golds? A simple and orginal story where Lara is searching for an artifact would work well, could just be told through gameplay with little amount of cutscenes.

Slighty off topic, however, I read the new TR comic recently and the way they've represented Lara in the first one is very reminiscent to her classic personality, she's impatient when she feels like people are wasting her time and her facal expressions and dialogue are quite, not to witty, but she reminds me so much of classic Lara which is fantastic. Anyway, to the point, I think in the next TR game they're going to make her even more like this and I was wondering, what will be the point of LAU Lara anymore? They've built up her character and from the ending of Rise it suggests she's going alone and doing it for nobody but herself. LAU Lara only exists at this point to please people who aren't fans of the 2nd reboot era, so I don't understand why they'll continue using her if the Reboot!Lara is becoming more closer to classic Lara.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens, but do you think she can still exist? I'm curious. They've continued using LAU Lara for ten years now.

Nigel Cassidy 23-02-16 01:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonycraig (Post 7546036)
I wouldn't actually mind this, I think it would be pretty fun but I'm not sure it will happen. It can't neccesarily be too big as they won't invest that much time nor money

I do not know; I'm not on the Square board of directors. That's why in the opening post I'm saying: 'what I'm asking is: is it possible to make a bigger, more ambitious... et cetera'.

I did speak to a Microsoft employee, asking him about the future of triple A games, and whether they would be financially sustainable if they just keep growing more expensive and require deals with Microsoft to be financed. He replied that smaller games like Temple of Osiris might be the future; as they are a lot cheaper to make there's a lot less financial risk involved. To be honest I think the future of the LC series as it is now is a lot more secure than the TR series.

I would like to see the LC series grow somewhat bigger than this though - meaning: into third person perspective games - but I think it is unnecessary to go with ultrarealistic and ultra expensive graphics like in TR10. I think that wouldn't fit well in a more comic bookie world, and it would be a lot cheaper to have Temple of Osiris-level graphics.
Still, whether it would be possible to make this game, I don't know. But nothing ventured, nothing gained!

And reboot Lara may start to resemble old Lara in one or two ways, but there is a lot more to old Lara than that. As it stands now reboot Lara surely doesn't make for a good replacement for old Lara to me. And neither does the in my opinion bleak and unimaginative world in which she lives. This year it will be eight years since traditional Lara had a game in third person, and I think it is time to create a modern game with modern gameplay mechanics that features the traditional Lara. A game that could be considered the quintessential Tomb Raider game of the 21st century. Even when it has to surrender the name of Tomb Raider to the reboot series. I think Crystal D kinda owes that to the fans who have been supporting the series for almost two decades now, and who made the name of Tomb Raider so big that it is now used for brand recognition by the reboot series, whom if not for that reason might as well have gotten it's own franchise.

anthonycraig 23-02-16 03:06

I'd definitely not pass on this idea though, I think it's fun that they have the grounded releases with a clear outset on the games and how they're released, whereas the Lara Croft sub-franchise is more experimental and they can practically do whatever with it. It's nice, plus I don't think we'd ever even have the Lara Croft series if it wasn't for GOL, that was such a fun game. We've had Lara Croft Go (now one of my favourite games of all time, phenomenal!) and Relic Run (extremely fun and fantastic mobile game) for the mobile games, so stretching the sub-franchise further would be interesting. I don't think they're wasting their time, but I guess I'm a little bit curious of how they'll handle it because they can't overshadow the triple A releases for obvious reasons. Like I said, I'd want this LC game in third person (like Underworld and Legend) but I'd want it to be the length of the TR Golds. I don't think there's anything stopping them from this, but I guess we're all just left wondering what they'll do.