Tomb Raider Forums

Tomb Raider Forums (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Rise of the Tomb Raider (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Did anybody else Cringe when Konstantin says: "Trinity killed your father!" (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=222707)

JsotoTRSaga 26-04-19 15:04

Did anybody else Cringe when Konstantin says: "Trinity killed your father!"

Hello everybody, I was replaying Rise recentely and I couldn't help but feel taken out of the game as in loss of immersion when Konstantin out of the blue gets posessed by Manfred Powell and starts mimicing everything he says in TR2001 in a way that seems taken straight out of a fan parody video or another crazy croft. I cringed so hard that I had to pause the game and laugh out loud before I could resume playing. It happened in all my playthroughs of Rise bc it is a scene that instead of getting us all shocked and sad for Lara (or angry) the scene ends up being there for comic relief. Not to mention it is such a huge cliché...

What did you think of this particular scene?

Grimaldi 26-04-19 15:40

[QUOTE=JsotoTRSaga;8081124]What did you think of this particular scene?[/QUOTE]

I hate it. It embodies everything wrong with Rise’s story and why it’s an infuriating sequel - it ultimately isn’t about Lara. Any interesting themes they could’ve explored with Richard’s suicide and how they affect her (are the “seekers of truth” mentioned in the opening, like Lara and Richard, doomed to be ridiculed and targeted, crushed beneath what they know?) are thrown out of the window in favour of a cheap twist which barely feels genuine (I still don’t completely buy it was Konstantin who did it, it just feels way too convenient that he has that power over her when she takes his away).

There’s also the glaring issue of, as I’ve repeated before, Richard’s assassination making no sense. On top of that, we spend an entire game trying to validate him and get to grips with his death, only for this twist and post-credits scene to make it impossible for Lara to glean any closure from the experience - now we’ve got to find out whodunnit and give them what for! So, really, what gets resolved? We spend all this time on Richard, and for what?

I mean, say what you want about how Shadow handled things, but at least that story was about [i]Lara[/i].

biscuits 26-04-19 16:56

Not really. It wasn't a shocking twist. It was just predictable.

VictorXD 26-04-19 18:27

Oh I've always cringed hard at that scene, this gif represents perfectly what my face must have been like the first time around, and I'm not even joking. At all.

It was [I]that[/I] bad.

@Grimaldi hit the nail right on the head.

jajay119 26-04-19 19:18

Everything in the reboot series has been cliche so by that point it didn't really bother me. Ana being unveiled as the big bad as if it were some major event for the player was worse.

Grizzly Bear 26-04-19 20:13

[QUOTE=jajay119;8081184]Everything in the reboot series has been cliche so by that point it didn't really bother me. Ana being unveiled as the big bad as if it were some major event for the player was worse.[/QUOTE]

No, Ana's plot twist wasn't that bad.
I mean, did you guess she was Konstantin's sister and part of Trinity as well from the beginning?
Plus the fact that she's dying so she is looking for the source to keep living; I thought it was a good character, well, at least one of the best in Rise for sure.

If you're looking for something that was super predictable, then look at Jacob being the prophet...

Patrick star 26-04-19 20:18

Yeah it was rather abrupt and cringey . I've always took it as another call back/easter egg to the 2001 movie in a game that had a few already (Siberia , orange glowstick , the Orrery looking like the planetarium etc) .
At least Rise provided closure for Lara's obsession with her family (deciding to do things for herself and herself only regardless of what her father would've done , Blood Ties dealing with Lara's grief for her mother etc) , only for Shadow to wipe all that out and have Lara crave her family [I]again[/I] AND have them be the core and center of her alleged "defining moment" .

[B]@Grimaldi :[/B] Don't @me:ton: we've had these long discussions of Rise's story VS Shadow's story a couple of times already so let's just agree to disagree :p

Samz 26-04-19 20:58

[QUOTE=Grizzly Bear;8081197]No, Ana's plot twist wasn't that bad.
I mean, did you guess she was Konstantin's sister and part of Trinity as well from the beginning?
Plus the fact that she's dying so she is looking for the source to keep living; I thought it was a good character, well, at least one of the best in Rise for sure.

If you're looking for something that was super predictable, then look at Jacob being the prophet...[/QUOTE]

I don't think being unable to guess something necessarily makes it good. *cough*Karel*cough*

Costel 26-04-19 21:38

That scene did not do anything for me. It was meh.

Grimaldi 26-04-19 21:41

[QUOTE=Patrick star;8081198][B]@Grimaldi :[/B] Don't @me:ton: we've had these long discussions of Rise's story VS Shadow's story a couple of times already so let's just agree to disagree :p[/QUOTE]

I won’t, I respect your opinion. :brofist: