www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider Level Editor (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Create a Classic Competition 2019 (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=223038)

Baslakor 02-09-19 20:03

Getting crazy close to beta-testing phase! Really excited about this level!

I already have some offers for beta-testing, but more is always welcome! If somebody wants to help me out please send me a PM! Much appreciated! :hug:

LoreRaider 02-09-19 21:40

Another beta section, this time on sunrise :p

Original:
https://i.imgur.com/roOGvd4.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/5Xmryf3.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/X2NsWCl.jpg

dinne 03-09-19 11:53

^ cool omg, this atmosphere is great.

---

I ask an opinion: I shown some walkthrough to my best friend, which has never played a custom level made in TRLE, but he recently played TR1-2 and almost finished TR3. So his opinion about "classicity" is probably reliable... He told me that in my level I added a bit too many details that Core Design wouldn't have put because of performance, but that it makes it seem "less classic" because of it.
It's not a clutter of objects, I haven't exaggerated at all, but yes they are a bit more than the originals. Especially, the original Russian level The Base is indeed quite empty of objects.
Example: in a room where in the original one there could be 1 table, 1 cupboard, some little trashy rocks on the floor and 1 enemy, in my level the same room could have, in addition, 1 alarm on the wall, 1 computer on the table, 1 smoke effect on the wall, 1 wall phone and 1 chair.

What would you say about this aspect?

Tomb Raidering 03-09-19 12:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinne (Post 8127758)
^ cool omg, this atmosphere is great.

---

I ask an opinion: I shown some walkthrough to my best friend, which has never played a custom level made in TRLE, but he recently played TR1-2 and almost finished TR3. So his opinion about "classicity" is probably reliable... He told me that in my level I added a bit too many details that Core Design wouldn't have put because of performance, but that it makes it seem "less classic" because of it.
It's not a clutter of objects, I haven't exaggerated at all, but yes they are a bit more than the originals. Especially, the original Russian level The Base is indeed quite empty of objects.
Example: in a room where in the original one there could be 1 table, 1 cupboard, some little trashy rocks on the floor and 1 enemy, in my level the same room could have, in addition, 1 alarm on the wall, 1 computer on the table, 1 smoke effect on the wall, 1 wall phone and 1 chair.
What would you say about this aspect?

Just leave it as it is. VCI and the Egyptian tombs in TR4 had a lot of environment details in their levels. It would be a true classic if it has a sinking submarine level.........

disapearing-boy 03-09-19 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinne (Post 8127758)
Example: in a room where in the original one there could be 1 table, 1 cupboard, some little trashy rocks on the floor and 1 enemy, in my level the same room could have, in addition, 1 alarm on the wall, 1 computer on the table, 1 smoke effect on the wall, 1 wall phone and 1 chair.

What would you say about this aspect?

TR4/5 was a bit more cluttered than TR3 for example - TR5 had the largest wad sizes.

Small objects on the wall aren't an issue for me - such as a phone and an alarm. It's not very intrusive.

dinne 03-09-19 13:37

Thanks, yes I take in consideration that my friend didn't play to TR4 and TRC, but I get that he could be right. Because it's not about "appearing too cluttered to the eyes" (it's not), but "appearing too cluttered for being a classic TR"...

This is the most cluttered room I think... (work in progress / bad lights)
It means that the other rooms in average are less cluttered than this. Textures also give details but you see many objects also on the walls. There is also a fire extinguisher that's not visible, on the right

https://i.postimg.cc/zvLwqghQ/Untitled-w1.jpg

(I'd love to make the brown tables made of metal instead of wood to make less visual variation but I already modified too many objects...)

Tomb Raidering 03-09-19 13:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinne (Post 8127781)
Thanks, yes I take in consideration that my friend didn't play to TR4 and TRC, but I get that he could be right. Because it's not about "appearing too cluttered to the eyes" (it's not), but "appearing too cluttered for being a classic TR"...

This is the most cluttered room I think... (work in progress / bad lights)
It means that the other rooms in average are less cluttered than this. Textures also give details but you see many objects also on the walls.

https://i.postimg.cc/zvLwqghQ/Untitled-w1.jpg

(I'd love to make the brown tables made of metal instead of wood to make less visual variation but I already modified too many objects...)

If the table is grey and there are less papers on it, then I think itíll be OK

Reggie 03-09-19 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinne (Post 8127758)
^ cool omg, this atmosphere is great.

---

I ask an opinion: I shown some walkthrough to my best friend, which has never played a custom level made in TRLE, but he recently played TR1-2 and almost finished TR3. So his opinion about "classicity" is probably reliable... He told me that in my level I added a bit too many details that Core Design wouldn't have put because of performance, but that it makes it seem "less classic" because of it.
It's not a clutter of objects, I haven't exaggerated at all, but yes they are a bit more than the originals. Especially, the original Russian level The Base is indeed quite empty of objects.
Example: in a room where in the original one there could be 1 table, 1 cupboard, some little trashy rocks on the floor and 1 enemy, in my level the same room could have, in addition, 1 alarm on the wall, 1 computer on the table, 1 smoke effect on the wall, 1 wall phone and 1 chair.

What would you say about this aspect?

I considered taking that approach. But sticking to PS1 polygon limits is a lot more limiting than you would think. Detail is fine if it really adds something to a scene, but still stick to certain rules - use objects but not too many polygons/faces and keep textures at 64x64 or at a similar level of detail found in 64x64 textures (but feel free to use as many variations or transitions as you need). Also consider using textures to add 'objects' Core often applied computer screens to wall textures (as seen in Offshore Rig, Area 51, Sleeping with the Fishes) and phones, alarms and lights the same way. You could in theory create a very detailed room without even using a single objects besides pickups/switches/doors. It's all a balance and you should definitely leave some room to apply your own style and vision.

In the scene you posted, you could simplify for example but removing the blue chairs, making them all the same brown chairs, remove the lights and texture the lights on and use just one type of pipe object instead 2 (or 3?). I have a similar room in my level so I can see where you're going with this scene.

Also, I think it's fine if you modify the table using an already existing texture, right?

dinne 03-09-19 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reggie (Post 8127784)
...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering (Post 8127782)
...

Yes yes, you mean to keep the resolution of the world being coherent, and I respected this fully (on Lara, on all the objects, on the textures).

Hmm yes, well the table+pc+bluechair is taken from the original Core Design (Antarctica) wads as it is, it's a single object... I already "adjusted" other objects... But yes this table is the one I want to change the most now. It's difficult to make it fit anywhere (because of the colors). I could replace the chair with the wooden one and retexture the table with metal instead of wood... I just hope to not exceed with modifications, that's why...

And yes I'll use only 1 pipe type here, you're right.

I have in general the tendency of being quite "baroque" in what I create ahah

Reggie 03-09-19 14:30

Sounds like you have the right idea. :tmb:

I made a modded version of the desk here -

https://www.tombraiderforums.com/pic...ictureid=13326


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:09.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.