Tomb Raider Forums

Tomb Raider Forums (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider II (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   A creepy tomb raider 2 story (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=224081)

DevaWay 25-02-20 18:16

A creepy tomb raider 2 story

I'm brazilian and my english isnt very good, but I'll try my best to tell this story
Happened a couple years ago, when I was a kid/teenager
My younger brother and I were playing tomb raider 2 on pc, I dont remember if it was the pc version or the ps1 trough emulation
We've just beat the final level, the one in laras mansion after defeating the final boss, where the mansion is attacked by those npcs at night
After that we though that maybe the mansion would have something different or some kind of secret, since the last level was in the mansion, and we've just beat it
From here, I dont remember quite well the order of the events, since it was so quickly and many years ago
At some point we were on the tutorial part of the mansion, and was there that we've started to hear things. Idk which we've heard first:
Voices, whisperings in a strange language, like those that play on the background of the game at some parts
At some point Ive heard the shotgun sound, followed by the sound of a dog dying (both audios identical to the ones that the game already have, the dog npc dying and the shotgun shooting)
After all of this, my brother just freaks out and alt+f4 the game, and I got pretty mad cuz I was curious, but it was creepy af.
Today I know it have must been a bug, for some reason random audio files start playing on the background, but just imagine you as a kid, playing in laras mansion, a place that should feel safe (**** you winston) and all of suddenly you start hearing freaking voices whispering loud af on your ears
Im not sure if it was a bug, probably was, but man I was terrified
(one thing that is vague on my memory is that I was glitching the walls, that glitch when you crouch on a corner of a wall and when you stand up you are teleported to the top of the wall, at some point I got above the walls of the tutorial zone, a place where you should not be able to achieve normally, and I was looking to the black void of the map from there, for some reason my memories relate the sound of the shotgun followed by the dog dying with this moment, but my memory is to vague to remember if it was there that Ive heard it)
Recently I've asked to my brother if he remembers this event, and he do remember it, and so I do

Rai 25-02-20 18:24

Moved the the TR2 section. :)

bekim 25-02-20 18:30

So weird. Lol. Imagine this is something done on purpose by Core :p

DevaWay 25-02-20 19:03

[QUOTE=bekim;8174945]So weird. Lol. Imagine this is something done on purpose by Core :p[/QUOTE]

Ive searched for this a lot of times, and I didnt found anyone that have experienced this. But I really hope someone show here and say that its not a bug, but im not believing that someone will

Topixtor 25-02-20 19:19

Now that's very strange, but I don't know if, in the PS1 cd, audio tracks and sfx are separated (like in the pc version) or if they share the same format;

if their format is different, I really can't understand how could this happen because those whispering voices could be the Xian bgm or the Xian cutscene where Bartoli speaks backwards but I can't think about any voices or whisperings in the sfx apart from a couple of breathing, laughing, dieing sounds;

the closest thing would be the monks voiclines played one after another, but since your memories are of course vague we will never be sure I suppose :)

There is also a good chance the bug was caused by the emulator.

DevaWay 25-02-20 19:26

[QUOTE=Topixtor;8174948]Now that's very strange, but I don't know if, in the PS1 cd, audio tracks and sfx are separated (like in the pc version) or if they share the same format;

if their format is different, I really can't understand how could this happen because those whispering voices could be the Xian bgm or the Xian cutscene where Bartoli speaks backwards but I can't think about any voices or whisperings in the sfx apart from a couple of breathing, laughing, dieing sounds;

the closest thing would be the monks voiclines played one after another, but since your memories are of course vague we will never be sure I suppose :)

There is also a good chance the bug was caused by the emulator.[/QUOTE]
My memory is vague about the exact order of the events, but I remember the whisperings quite well, they were louder than a normal background soundtrack, but they were whisperings for sure (idk if they were in english, maybe they were since I was a kid and my english was ****, but they were creepyass voices for sure)

DevaWay 25-02-20 19:27

[QUOTE=Topixtor;8174948]Now that's very strange, but I don't know if, in the PS1 cd, audio tracks and sfx are separated (like in the pc version) or if they share the same format;

There is also a good chance the bug was caused by the emulator.[/QUOTE]
Also, I dont remember if it was pc version or ps1 version emulated, there's no chance the pc version could bug in that way?

ANoDE 25-02-20 19:43

Could it be that you maybe pressed the physical play button on your cdrom drive (those had one back then), and your computer was replaying the cd audio from the disc in the background?

DevaWay 25-02-20 20:11

[QUOTE=ANoDE;8174955]Could it be that you maybe pressed the physical play button on your cdrom drive (those had one back then), and your computer was replaying the cd audio from the disc in the background?[/QUOTE]

I was a kid but it wasnt that back then, I would say 5 years or more (probably more) Im 18 now, the game was fully digital on my pc

Topixtor 25-02-20 20:26

[QUOTE=DevaWay;8174950]Also, I dont remember if it was pc version or ps1 version emulated, there's no chance the pc version could bug in that way?[/QUOTE]

I'm excluding it because music (wich includes BGM and cutscenes audio) is completely different than normal sound effects (for example you could play the soundtrack by just inserting the cd in a normal old audio player, for example in a car).

Could it be this track the creepy one with whispering? "Whisper" like sounds are played inside it: [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1-w8N1BLpM[/url]

Otherwise have a look at all the cutscenes in the game, maybe you will hear something familiar: [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW1FZf2quMU[/url]

Also, any chance you just started playing TR3 after TR2? Yeah, dogs and shotgun are different, but there is a lot more whispering and talking in that one :) TR3 is also, generally, the buggiest of the original trilogy.